Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Rolled Gold – The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2016 00:46

I looked that up on Wiki and it didn't say a whole lot but it certainly did not say it was released in the States.

No Brown Sugar or Wild Horses. A bit odd, eh?

Although all of STICKY FINGERS and 5 tracks from EOMS are ABKCO Music, which means they could've put any of those tracks on anything, it seems there was an agreement only about Brown Sugar and Wild Horses and nothing else.

That must've pissed the Stones off immensely, to finally be able to release an LP on their own terms with one exception - not having owning the copyright to the music.

Re: Selected Compilations-Talk: Rolled Gold – The Very Best Of The Rolling Stones
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 21, 2016 01:06

There is no mention of ABKCO on any of the seventies Decca compilations.The copyright notice on the sleeves assigns ownership to Decca Records Ltd. I suspect that Decca had their own rights over these recordings at the time which didn't stretch to anything released on Rolling Stones Records. I doubt very much that ABKCO had anything to do with this release.
[www.45worlds.com]
[www.rollingstone.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-08-21 01:22 by Deltics.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 21, 2016 14:46

The copyright notices on records/sleeves can be misleading.
As far as I am aware Decca/London never owned the copyrights outright to the masters but they did have the exclusive rights to release the Stones product. This would have been time limited (to mid 80's?). Oldham of course sold his copyrights to Klein in the aftermath of the Immediate debacle.
Manufacturing was done by ABKCO who also (eventually) owned the song publishing also. The companies in the 60's and 70s were Mirage in the UK and Gideon in the US. Now of course it just states ABKCO Music.
I think in the 60's and 70's ABKCO was more into music publishing and artist management.
For whatever reason (probably financial) from the 80's ABKCO Records becomes the record label for all the Stones 60's product.
I would have thought Klein would have had some say on the Decca compilations, even to the point of having a veto. Maybe it was less control then,than later on.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 21, 2016 17:24

jlowe
The copyright notices on records/sleeves can be misleading.
As far as I am aware Decca/London never owned the copyrights outright to the masters but they did have the exclusive rights to release the Stones product. This would have been time limited (to mid 80's?). Oldham of course sold his copyrights to Klein in the aftermath of the Immediate debacle.
Manufacturing was done by ABKCO who also (eventually) owned the song publishing also. The companies in the 60's and 70s were Mirage in the UK and Gideon in the US. Now of course it just states ABKCO Music.
I think in the 60's and 70's ABKCO was more into music publishing and artist management.
For whatever reason (probably financial) from the 80's ABKCO Records becomes the record label for all the Stones 60's product.
I would have thought Klein would have had some say on the Decca compilations, even to the point of having a veto. Maybe it was less control then,than later on.

I did some digging around and found this article, which is funny but also revealing - and it certainly shows that ABKCO could release any of the ABKCO Music songs on STICKY FINGERS (all of them except the cover) and the 5 from EXILE:

In light of today’s announcement by BMG concerning its involvement in music publishing interests in songs written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, ABKCO Music, Inc. wishes to reiterate that ABKCO, and ABKCO alone, owns and controls 100% of the worldwide copyright to the original 1963-1971 publishing catalog of Jagger/Richards Rolling Stones compositions.

ABKCO CEO Jody Klein stated that the BMG announcement “has no relevance whatsoever to ABKCO’s ongoing role in its ownership or control of all existing copyrights, including such seminal titles as ‘(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction’, ‘Brown Sugar’, ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking’ and others from that period as has been the case for more than 40 years.”

[www.showbiz411.com]

Date: August 21, 2016 17:59

ABKCO never dared to release other 1971 tracks than WH and BS, though, which were recorded in 1969. There is perhaps a reason for that?

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 21, 2016 18:53

DandelionPowderman
ABKCO never dared to release other 1971 tracks than WH and BS, though, which were recorded in 1969. There is perhaps a reason for that?

Yes, as was typical with Klein, particularly in matters of litigation, settlements were never straightforward.
The Stones(first) lawsuit with Klein was 'settled' within 12 months...very quick by anyone's standards. I often wonder if they were well advised in this as all they seemed to get was a lump of cash, which they were due to receive at some point anyway.
By 1972 they were hardly cash poor and despite Mick's claim at the time the settlement did not mean 'they would not have to deal with Klein again'.

So what is left is a messy 'agreement' concerning some 1969 compositions. I'm surprised it hasn't been sorted out by now.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home