Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: You Can’t Catch Me (New)
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 16, 2016 23:50

DandelionPowderman
alimente
slew
The Stones are the best cover band of all time. For the most part they make the song different from the original artists version sometimes surpassing, sometimes on par, sometimes okay and once in a while subpar (My Girl comes to mind). They play the Berry songs really well. Keith and Brian really understood how to play these songs and they were always locked in tight. They also do Motown really well with the exception of the above mentioned. But the Berry covers are the best!

Maybe My Girl is a (slight bit) subpar, but still...I like it. Possibly because it fits so well on Stone Age, a sampler I dearly loved because it had a few songs on it that were unheard in Europe at the time it came out.

+1

I never quite understood what was wrong with My Girl.

Suzie Q is a poor cover, My Girl is quite good, imo.

Under the Boardwalk, My Girl, and to a smaller degree the Out of Our Heads version of That's How Strong My Love Is. They chose covers where the original is just too damn strong for them to handle, especially Mick's much younger, much less experienced vocals at the time. The Stones were supreme when choosing a song to cover that might have been a little rough and they heard a lot of potential in it, ala Harlem Shuffle. Mick just didn't have enough heft to his voice and life experience to handle That's How Strong My Love Is in 1965. Otis Redding had enough manliness for his own version of Satisfaction, but Mick didn't pull of That's How Strong My Love Is until the 2000s.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 16, 2016 23:59

The song is quite hopeless but I like Jaggers singing on it....Like Elvis he can save real bargage-songs with his wonderful voice...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 17, 2016 16:06

DandelionPowderman
alimente
slew
The Stones are the best cover band of all time. For the most part they make the song different from the original artists version sometimes surpassing, sometimes on par, sometimes okay and once in a while subpar (My Girl comes to mind). They play the Berry songs really well. Keith and Brian really understood how to play these songs and they were always locked in tight. They also do Motown really well with the exception of the above mentioned. But the Berry covers are the best!

Maybe My Girl is a (slight bit) subpar, but still...I like it. Possibly because it fits so well on Stone Age, a sampler I dearly loved because it had a few songs on it that were unheard in Europe at the time it came out.

+1

I never quite understood what was wrong with My Girl...

It's not the the Stones did anything wrong w/ it, to me it was just a poor choice of a song to cover. I never liked the song much, and it didn't really fit w/ the types of covers they typically did.

Something rockier or bluesier is always preferred! Songs like It's All Over Now, or I Can't Be Satisfied ... those types of songs are when Stones were at their best!

Date: July 17, 2016 16:43

LeonidP
DandelionPowderman
alimente
slew

+1

I never quite understood what was wrong with My Girl...

It's not the the Stones did anything wrong w/ it, to me it was just a poor choice of a song to cover. I never liked the song much, and it didn't really fit w/ the types of covers they typically did.

Something rockier or bluesier is always preferred! Songs like It's All Over Now, or I Can't Be Satisfied ... those types of songs are when Stones were at their best!

Love those songs, of course - but I'm a rabid soul fan as well smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: July 20, 2016 11:06

Swayed1967
Eminently listenable but so too is Down The Road Apiece, Route 66, Around and Around etc. and when I listen to those songs one after the other I'm slightly underwhelmed. Yeah it's great stuff, historically very important and all, but not nearly as stunning as the original tunes that would come a few years later.

That's said with the benefit of hindsight. When these tracks were released by the Stones we had never heard anything like it before. Chuck Berry tracks were very hard to come by apart from the odd compilation album put out when the Stones covers created an interest. These tracks and the early bootlegs such as the Chess Sessions are fabulously atmospheric and take me right back over 50 years.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 20, 2016 11:48

24FPS
DandelionPowderman
alimente
slew

+1

Under the Boardwalk, My Girl, and to a smaller degree the Out of Our Heads version of That's How Strong My Love Is. They chose covers where the original is just too damn strong for them to handle, especially Mick's much younger, much less experienced vocals at the time. The Stones were supreme when choosing a song to cover that might have been a little rough and they heard a lot of potential in it, ala Harlem Shuffle. Mick just didn't have enough heft to his voice and life experience to handle That's How Strong My Love Is in 1965. Otis Redding had enough manliness for his own version of Satisfaction, but Mick didn't pull of That's How Strong My Love Is until the 2000s.

Well, I beg to differ. I think the Stones 1965 version of "That's How Strong My Love Is" is one of the highlights of Out Of Our Heads, and - yes - I think it's better than Otis Redding's version. Redding's version is great, very passionate and very... strong, whereas in the Stones' version there is a vulnerability to Jagger's voice that adds to it. It's actually one of those few examples when Jagger actually brings across some emotionality in a ballad, which is not his forte.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 20, 2016 18:14

matxil
24FPS
DandelionPowderman
alimente
slew

+1

Well, I beg to differ. I think the Stones 1965 version of "That's How Strong My Love Is" is one of the highlights of Out Of Our Heads, and - yes - I think it's better than Otis Redding's version. Redding's version is great, very passionate and very... strong, whereas in the Stones' version there is a vulnerability to Jagger's voice that adds to it. It's actually one of those few examples when Jagger actually brings across some emotionality in a ballad, which is not his forte.

Agree w/ both of you ... him regarding Boardwalk and My Girl, poor choices of songs to cover ... and you regarding That's How Strong My Love Is, just simply great!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 21, 2016 20:56

I still enjoy this track for some time, cause it rocks.

Re: Track Talk: You Can’t Catch Me
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 21, 2016 21:12

I think the are such a good cover song because they play the song, not the record.
That is to say, they don't just sit around and listen to the record and then copy it.
Keith probably plays what he wants and the rest fill in. It wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that Charlie hadn't even listened to some of the songs they cover, especially the earlier ones.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1359
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home