Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Petition The Stones To Do SNL Again!
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: July 13, 2016 09:49

Just rewatched the Stones 1978 performance from SNL and they need to redeem themselves from that! It was great to see them on TV back then but my God, were their voices shot! It would be so cool to see them come back and sound even better in their 70s than how they were that night!

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Re: Petition The Stones To Do SNL Again!
Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: July 13, 2016 16:34

In 1978 I was a 15 year old die hard Stones fan. My favorite band then as now. I told my friends about that upcoming SNL performance and we gathered around to watch the Show (live at the time). To me it was my low point with the Stones - it was an embarrassment. Mick's voice was shot (now in retrospect, we've all heard about the hard partying that week for cast and band and it's effect). But the worst was when Mick tongue kissed Woody's lips and the 2 or 3 times he was trying to grab and grab Woody's crotch. My friends were like this is the world's greatest rock band. I was a bit embarrassed to say the least, especially coming off such an amazing album (at the time - Some Girls was a MAJOR comeback after B&B, IORR and GHS - at least commercially and publicly). I still cringe when I watch the show. Mick's made up for it by the way, with his GREAT solo performances on SNL ever since.

Date: July 13, 2016 16:47

Well, sitting around saying 'someone should...', BE that someone! Go ahead, set up a petition! There's plenty of legitimate websites to do so, and you bet I'll sign it!

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: July 13, 2016 17:25

Please. Stop! That show has not had relevance for over 25 years

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 13, 2016 17:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
Just rewatched the Stones 1978 performance from SNL and they need to redeem themselves from that! It was great to see them on TV back then but my God, were their voices shot! It would be so cool to see them come back and sound even better in their 70s than how they were that night!

The Stones appearance was a much-hyped season premiere, and as I recall Muhammed Ali was originally announced to be the host that night, but I think he dropped out just a week or so before. There was no actual "host" that episode, but I recall NY Mayor Ed Koch opened the show while the Stones appeared in several sketches.

Animal House had just been released, and was a monster hit, and John Belushi's new movie stardom put even more eyes on SNL.

The Stones were in terrible shape when they went on, and you wish they could have postponed due to their "shattered" voices...but the show must go on and they were troopers.

Jagger himself came back a few weeks after that, in good voice and looking tan and rested, and sang "Don't Look Back" with musical guest Peter Tosh.

I viewed that as a "redemption" for him then, and he's had several very good performances there since.

Do the Stones need to be on again? To me it's a bad memory of their darkest hour. Historically, I'd rather see them return to the stage of the Ed Sullivan Theater on Late Night with Stephen Colbert.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-13 17:46 by loog droog.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 13, 2016 19:01

I watched it live with friends and it was indeed embarrassing.
Thankfully Keith came prepared with the Wino's in 1988. thumbs up

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 13, 2016 19:15

potus43
Please. Stop! That show has not had relevance for over 25 years

Who cares. The Stones live on a Saturday night is a big deal for Stones fans. Bring it on…...smileys with beer

Date: July 13, 2016 19:52

I hope it doesn't happen. That show is so terrible, it is embarrassing for anyone involved with it by now.

Date: July 13, 2016 21:17

Palace Revolution 2000
I hope it doesn't happen. That show is so terrible, it is embarrassing for anyone involved with it by now.

Well, if the show is so bad, then it needs the Stones to make it better!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:01

Nope, it just won't work. Time is not on their side. I haven' watched SNL since the mid Nineties.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:04

I'm sure they could do the show any time they want.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:28

The show and the band were both relevant in '78, neither one of them are anymore!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:28

Just let me know when it's available on youtube. I can't think of a single reason which would make me turn on SNL with or without the Stones.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 13, 2016 22:43

I still watch SNL. I don't know what great 'relevance' it ever had that it doesn't now. I have the first five seasons on DVD, but I only watch the musical performances. It's over 40 years on and it still gets good ratings and people still talk about what happened on the show. It doesn't get more relevant than that.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 13, 2016 23:14

Jagger did not like Some Girls at all ....

hot smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 13, 2016 23:43

^^^^ ... Punk comedy ... ^^^^

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 14, 2016 00:29

The music is great. The guitar interplay on Beast of Burden is nothing short of superb. Plus, they boosted Mac on the Wurlitzer, so it had more audible keyboards.
And it's in the key of D. Keith's solo on Respectable is first-rate.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: July 14, 2016 01:10

band was great. Jagger was simply horrific. I was a 16 year old fanatic and had all my friends over who were more into bands like BOSTON And KISS. Not only did Jagger's voice sucked but licking ROnnie during RESPECTABLE did not earn brownie points with 16 year old heterosexual boys. Jagger was totally coked out and appeared higher than a kite during his skit with Dan Ackroyd. I still think he came back about 6 weeks later to SNL with Peter Tosh to redeem himself and in my eyes he did. HE was in great voice.

Date: July 14, 2016 01:22

tomk
The music is great. The guitar interplay on Beast of Burden is nothing short of superb. Plus, they boosted Mac on the Wurlitzer, so it had more audible keyboards.
And it's in the key of D. Keith's solo on Respectable is first-rate.

Yeah - the playing was good but the vocals were horrible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-14 03:25 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 14, 2016 01:41

Yes it was a shock. I'm glad others shared the same embarrassment as I did.
Not sure where the tongue thing came from as I have never seen Mick do such
a thing before or since. Fortunately he didn't do that live on the Ed Sulivan show!

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 14, 2016 02:27

swimtothemoon
a thing before or since. Fortunately he didn't do that live on the Ed Sulivan show!

I thought the tongue thing was funny if anything. It was an anything to shock moment which was in style at the time. It was what Jagger was about.

I agree they didn't play well at all on SNL but I still loved it when they were on it. As a teen who became a fan because of Some Girls it was the first time I ever really saw them. They fit SNL better then anyone.

There are 2 things I don't get whatever discussion comes up about the show.

1- Everyone always assumes Jagger's voice was shot because of the partying leading up to the show. If it was the partying then why were not Keith, or Ronnie's or even the SNL cast members voices totally shot as well? It could just be that Jagger lost his voice because they rehearsed so much that week or he had a cold or something.

2- Why does everyone bash Jagger for the lick but never say anything about Ron Wood? It sure looked staged to me and Wood just stood there and took it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-14 02:30 by stanlove.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 14, 2016 02:46

SHOCK!!!! .... what's so shocking about a tongue on a guys cheek ....
There's far worse things in life than that ....

Hey yeah stanlove's on da ball dis time around ...^^^^^^^^^^^

ROCKMAN

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: July 14, 2016 03:30

Rockman

Oh no it certainly wasn't just the tongue thing but Mick's vocal problem along with the tongue was not at all like the stones show which I had seen that summer.
That was shocking. I should watch again, as I think it's a bonus cut on the Texas DVD. So I should apologize as I have not seen the performance since original air date - just a couple skits. Long time ago...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 14, 2016 04:23

swimtothemoon
Rockman

Oh no it certainly wasn't just the tongue thing but Mick's vocal problem along with the tongue was not at all like the stones show which I had seen that summer.
That was shocking. I should watch again, as I think it's a bonus cut on the Texas DVD. So I should apologize as I have not seen the performance since original air date - just a couple skits. Long time ago...

[www.bing.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-14 04:25 by stanlove.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 14, 2016 05:49

After another viewing, I forgot that Keith used Ron's yellow Gibson for Beast. Also, Charlie used his cymbals a lot more back then. You can also see Keith stomp and turn his MXR Phaser off before the first chorus in Beast.
If I have any complaints, Keith is a little too loud, and Wood not loud enough. Strange since they were suing the same amps. Still, the guitar work is incredible.
Keep in mind that this was mixed (to use that phrase) to be heard through a small TV speaker back then. Nowadays, everyone's got their TV with 100 watts and 15 speakers placed everywhere.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 14, 2016 06:58

swimtothemoon

I felt embarrassed for Ronnie, like his boss was sexually harassing him. Can you imagine Mick trying that on Keith? Even Bill would have reacted negatively. It was such a letdown performance over all.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: July 14, 2016 14:08

Bad performance in 78. Mick redeemed himself with Tosh later that year, Keef did with the Winos 10 years later. The show is tired and needs to end. No need to go there.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: July 14, 2016 14:18

kammpberg,
You say ""In 1978 I was a 15 year old die hard Stones fan""
How can you be as 15 years of age an old die hard Stones fan?

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: July 14, 2016 15:07

I was a die hard Stones fan by 15, thanks to an older sister, I had seen the Stones live twice by then and already owned most of their albums by that time. I knew their music inside and out by the age of 15. By the way, I never let up and have seen every tour (except 1978) where they didn't really play NYC (they played Philly and two surprise club shows that I couldn't get tickets for) and I currently own over 400 Stones albums (imports and boots included). By the way, to me - Woody looked shock at the lick - my memory has Woody playing a solo with his eyes closed when Jagger licked Woody's lips. Woody opened his eyes and seemed shocked to me. Someone else commented like a boss sexually harrassing you. good analogy. I also remember Jagger trying to grab Woody's crotch on multiple occasions - uh - the Stones at their lowest, such a disappointment after the success of Miss You and Some Girls at the time. A definite embarrassment at the time - but Yes Jagger was great with Tosh a few weeks later.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 14, 2016 18:13

mtaylor
Jagger did not like Some Girls at all ....

hot smiley
no, i think maybe he was feeling a little under the weather ?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2247
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home