Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 65
Re: The Rolling Stones Tour in Europe 2017
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 17, 2017 22:44

well, I think it might be a wise move to announce a limted number of final shows (let's say 3 in NYC and 3 in London) and call it a day.
I guess that's a better way of ending the Stones live history than to let it be ended by circumstance beyond the control of the band (age, illness, promoters able to sell tickets etc.).
It's a matter of dignity!

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: February 17, 2017 22:48

Nate
I think we won't see tours like the 14 on fire and the ole tour structure anymore from now on if they continue to play shows I think it will be a handful of shows here and there like they did in the states last autumn.

Nate thumbs up

Great, three shows in Europe, then (plus one in a rich man's tent).

London, Paris... Barcelona? Surely they'll want to hit as many big cities as they can though. Playing three shows at a time doesn't make any sense to me, for a number of reasons.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: February 17, 2017 22:58

Olly
Nate
I think we won't see tours like the 14 on fire and the ole tour structure anymore from now on if they continue to play shows I think it will be a handful of shows here and there like they did in the states last autumn.

Nate thumbs up

Great, three shows in Europe, then (plus one in a rich man's tent).

London, Paris... Barcelona? Surely they'll want to hit as many big cities as they can though. Playing three shows at a time doesn't make any sense to me, for a number of reasons.

it does make sense – farewell shows without (much) traveling, no stage de- and reconstructions, just three shows in the same venue (MSG, 02-Arena London).
Just the way Cream did it 12 years ago.
but anyway – as I said before: the most important thing is that set an end by their decision!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 17, 2017 23:08

I don't think people should even contemplate complaining about the way the band works or how much time they decide to spend in a studio or on the road.

The Stones and some other great artists that will be remembered for a very long time are in the winter of their careers and we should be extremely grateful that they are still working.When they are out there on that stage they give the fans everything they have got look at Jagger he doesn't stop moving he is the greatest front man ever.

In years to come there will be kids who listen to the songs,watch videos,read the tales and say wow I wish I could of been around back then to see them play.
Lots of people don't realise just how fortunate they are to be living at the same time as the Stones and other truly great artists.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-17 23:09 by Nate.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: February 17, 2017 23:23

Other than the die hard fans here most people wouldn't even have a clue that the Stones are/ were planning a European tour this summer. Selfishly, it would be a shame if the tour didn't happen as I was planning this as an 'excuse' to visit a few new cities in Europe but nothing lasts forever and at the end of the day you just have to hope the guys in the band are happy and healthy. Hopefully the show goes on but I guess we wait and see.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 18, 2017 00:02

With the necessary rehearsals and 8 shows, the tour would require at least a month commitment from four guys in there mid 70's. Echoing what others have said, we should be pleased with any shows at this point. I do hope all four band members are healthy and there is not a health concern though.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 18, 2017 00:47

Nate
I don't think people should even contemplate complaining about the way the band works or how much time they decide to spend in a studio or on the road.

The Stones and some other great artists that will be remembered for a very long time are in the winter of their careers and we should be extremely grateful that they are still working.When they are out there on that stage they give the fans everything they have got look at Jagger he doesn't stop moving he is the greatest front man ever.

In years to come there will be kids who listen to the songs,watch videos,read the tales and say wow I wish I could of been around back then to see them play.
Lots of people don't realise just how fortunate they are to be living at the same time as the Stones and other truly great artists.

Nate

True - Born in 1960, I feel very blessed to have lived - and still live - in The Stones Age.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: February 18, 2017 00:58

It's interesting. The boys were amongst the first bands who did stadium tours. The first ones who did make real big money with tours. They never did festivals but they changed their mind and did it. Because festivals changed to a hype thing a few years ago. They never lost the feeling what's going on. Did 2-3 studio days to be Nr. 1 in many countries. Maybe they don't "tour" now..but will surprise us with a few shows here and there. Maybe that's the future of the tour machine in general (see U2 several shows in one city etc). Times are changing. Events (for me a new description for a concert) here and there. Even not particulary in Europe. The way they like it. Or they are able to do. As someone said (George?) Take it or leave it.

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: February 18, 2017 05:17

Do you know how many times The Stones have toured and how many times everyone created or speculated this big downer thing saying it is the end of them or this is the last time (no punn ..) .. or that it will not happen because of age .. etc. etc.?

I'll tell you how many times ... = every time Lol

Every time a tour or set of live shows or album is to come (and all while in between) everyone online says it is their last thing or that it will not happen... (it's almost as if half of their online fan base wishes it to be the case or something.. I mean lets give that a rest for once ...Come on now).

Look .... surely SOONER or LATER that day will come ... but until that is official .. let's just take it for what it is ..for once let's just take it for what it is .. ok? Good deal lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-18 05:18 by IanBillen.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 18, 2017 07:39

It's all quiet on the BV front .... he's either up a mountain or else he's got the hump with all of us for ruminating about the supposed tour being on/off/big/small/venues of this type/venues of that type ...... and so on ! And you know what he's like when he's got the hump, he either says nothing at all, or else he wags his finger and proceeds to lecture us about our complete lack of understanding, tolerance, patience - and overall stupidity !

Suits me fine, cos' anyone that knows me will surely attest to the fact that I have little understanding of anything, am highly intolerant, supremely impatient, and monumentally stupid !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 18, 2017 08:43

The natives are getting restless.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 18, 2017 09:02

IanBillen
Do you know how many times The Stones have toured and how many times everyone created or speculated this big downer thing saying it is the end of them or this is the last time (no punn ..) .. or that it will not happen because of age .. etc. etc.?

Every time a tour or set of live shows or album is to come (and all while in between) everyone online says it is their last thing or that it will not happen... (it's almost as if half of their online fan base wishes it to be the case or something.. I mean lets give that a rest for once ...Come on now).

Look .... surely SOONER or LATER that day will come ... but until that is official .. let's just take it for what it is ..for once let's just take it for what it is .. ok? Good deal lol

So true - now we are actually hitting reality. Unfortunately the odds are not in our favor. I remember the media saying: 1975 had to be the last time. Jump forward to 1981 and it became "Jagger is almost 40 how much longer can this possibly continue!". However, now time has advanced 36 years. Six or seven years from now they will all be in their 80's. Those six or seven years will fly by. My personal opinion is, we have a "handful" of live shows remaining and fans whom are willing to travel will be rewarded.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 18, 2017 09:53

swimtothemoon
IanBillen

So true - now we are actually hitting reality. Unfortunately the odds are not in our favor. I remember the media saying: 1975 had to be the last time. Jump forward to 1981 and it became "Jagger is almost 40 how much longer can this possibly continue!". However, now time has advanced 36 years. Six or seven years from now they will all be in their 80's. Those six or seven years will fly by. My personal opinion is, we have a "handful" of live shows remaining and fans whom are willing to travel will be rewarded.

Suspect you're right !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: February 18, 2017 11:17

swimtothemoon
With the necessary rehearsals and 8 shows, the tour would require at least a month commitment from four guys in there mid 70's. Echoing what others have said, we should be pleased with any shows at this point. I do hope all four band members are healthy and there is not a health concern though.

More like 2 weeks of rehearsals (its the crew not just the band) and then one show every 3-4 days, so minimum 8 weeks, more like 10 or 12.

I think one challenge is stadium/festival versus arena from a health/comfort/price perspective. Playing with the energy of the Stones in heat or humidity or dust is bad enough for a 50 year old - imagine it for them, especially Mick and Charlie.

But with arenas it is one third of the audience and maybe 30% less in ticket sale value. Even if the band paid itself nothing, keeping the show on the road would require a lot of money - maybe $1M per tour day (not per show day)...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 18, 2017 11:51

Crikey, this thread's taken a depressing twist sad smiley If they are having second thoughts I wonder why? No promoter willing to take them on? I read that 2 promoters went bust in the 90s taking on the Stones. Hopefully it's not the health of a band member.

I hope we at least get a few Shows somewhere - the place that would make the most sense would be their home city of London. Plenty of venues and easy for travelling fans to get to.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: February 18, 2017 11:57

grzegorz67
Crikey, this thread's taken a depressing twist sad smiley If they are having second thoughts I wonder why? No promoter willing to take them on? I read that 2 promoters went bust in the 90s taking on the Stones. Hopefully it's not the health of a band member.

I hope we at least get a few Shows somewhere - the place that would make the most sense would be their home city of London. Plenty of venues and easy for travelling fans to get to.

I think it's not easy to find promotors with their prices. If the shows are (nearly) sell outs - like 2014, then everything might be okay. If not - like half of the 2007 shows, the local promotor will loose much money. On the other hand, playing just one show per week(end) guarantees good sales, but makes the whole thing very expensive. Not to speak of insurance costs for 73 year old alcoholics. They are in a devil's circle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-18 12:00 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 18, 2017 12:37

Well said Monsoon Ragoon. Even though they have a popular album at the moment and huge legacy I think it would be hard to appeal to casual concert goers with big ticket prices, as they usually have. This adding the probability they refuse to step down a bit means conflict in my opinion. Maybe they're right to always keep things at a huge event level versus ending up playing small halls like most aging bands. But I don't believe it can continue in this way. If it's over I would say we've had a great run all things considered. But really I don't think they're finished.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: February 18, 2017 13:11

paulywaul
It's all quiet on the BV front .... he's either up a mountain or else he's got the hump with all of us for ruminating about the supposed tour being on/off/big/small/venues of this type/venues of that type ...... and so on ! And you know what he's like when he's got the hump, he either says nothing at all, or else he wags his finger and proceeds to lecture us about our complete lack of understanding, tolerance, patience - and overall stupidity !

Suits me fine, cos' anyone that knows me will surely attest to the fact that I have little understanding of anything, am highly intolerant, supremely impatient, and monumentally stupid !

BV has actually chimed in twice in the last 24hrs, acknowledging that last week things were iffy but looks like some shows may happen. Check them out. (Sorry BV if I took your words out of context)

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 18, 2017 15:06

Exactly. We just need four signatures on a paper. Not happening yet as it seems.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 18, 2017 18:06

bv
Exactly. We just need four signatures on a paper. Not happening yet as it seems.

I've got a spare pen I will post it over to them.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

2017 tour
Posted by: oldrocker ()
Date: February 14, 2017 21:52

Anyone thing about going to SARAJEVO I have a date which looks very good the Weekend of 22nd July

Re: 2017 tour
Date: February 14, 2017 22:54

[iorr.org]

Late May/early June is the word on the street...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-14 23:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 18, 2017 23:37

All this talk of Europe what about Canada, west and mid like Winnipeg, its well overdue for a return. Please dont say goodbye and quit and not come here for one last time.

Posted by: zgredzik ()
Date: February 19, 2017 00:56

Topic is about European tour.. And Canada it's not part of it. BTW they played Canada (Quebec) in 2015. Europe was year before so.. grinning smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 19, 2017 02:20

zgredzik
Topic is about European tour.. And Canada it's not part of it. BTW they played Canada (Quebec) in 2015. Europe was year before so.. grinning smiley
UK is pretty much present in Canada, so why not... winking smiley

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 19, 2017 03:42

Nate
bv

I've got a spare pen I will post it over to them.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

LOL!!

By the way Nate, totally agree with your comments earlier about the current state of affairs and what we are 'owed' (i.e. nothing) and how things could pan out.

We are so effing lucky that we have gotten what we have so far. An amazing 54/55 years so far. They owe us nothing. When the end happens it will suck, but that's that.

Another thought I had about the potential Euro 17 tour is this: Charlie hates touring as we know. Perhaps they are struggling to find a happy medium? As in, to make the schedule less taxing they place gigs further apart but the negative consequence of this is that they are on the road for 12 weeks just to do 12 gigs. This potentially keeps the band away from family for a long time and also costs a ton of money. And it means they are on tour / away from home for a hell of a long time just for a few gigs.

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 19, 2017 06:35

mariannerl
It's interesting. The boys were amongst the first bands who did stadium tours. The first ones who did make real big money with tours. They never did festivals but they changed their mind and did it. Because festivals changed to a hype thing a few years ago. They never lost the feeling what's going on. Did 2-3 studio days to be Nr. 1 in many countries. Maybe they don't "tour" now..but will surprise us with a few shows here and there. Maybe that's the future of the tour machine in general (see U2 several shows in one city etc). Times are changing. Events (for me a new description for a concert) here and there. Even not particulary in Europe. The way they like it. Or they are able to do. As someone said (George?) Take it or leave it.
The festivals are easier. They don't have to worry about stage setup, design and transporting the stage from one county to another. Anf way too expensive for some 10-15 shows.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2017 11:25

Mr Jimmy

As in, to make the schedule less taxing they place gigs further apart but the negative consequence of this is that they are on the road for 12 weeks just to do 12 gigs.

Hence they had probably discarded their original plans (and therefore the rumor: 'Tour off' ) and consider now only a 'handful' (Quote: BV, Nate) shows - which rather sounds like 6 shows in 6 weeks ....

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 19, 2017 11:30

Most of the festivals have already announced their headliners and major acts and the tix are on sale. No Stones...

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 19, 2017 11:55

MAF

Most of the festivals have already announced their headliners and major acts and the tix are on sale. No Stones...

The rumors for RS at BST Hyde Park 2013 started on 26-Feb-2013: [iorr.org] and Tickets were available from 5-Apr-2013 [iorr.org] ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-19 12:10 by Irix.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3536373839404142434445...LastNext
Current Page: 40 of 65

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2587
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home