Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Was Mick Influenced By The Who For Steel Wheels?
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: May 16, 2016 19:42

HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
The Stones 1981 tour led to what we heard in 1989. The 1981 tour was weak and Mick and most of the 1981 crowds knew it. I saw Mick in an interview right before the 1989 tour say that this one ( 1989 ) would be alot harder and alot better then 81 and that 81 wasn't very good. Plus the music world had changed. Acts were more polished as a whole.

I have tried to point this put numerous times but people on here keep denying that the Stones 1981 tour was a dud. I won't bother posting the dead crowds at their 81 tour again. You either want you see it or you don't. I saw the 81 tour and I am everyone I knew thought the Stones sucked live and where nothing buy hype as a live band. dead stadium and weak show. Then I saw 1989 and they blew me and everyone else I know away. The Stadium was going nuts.

They need the backup musicians to play good stadium shows.

The 1981 Tour a dud? Sure it had some bad moments but to call the whole tour a dud? My friend, I just watched Hampton 81 this morning. If the 81 tour was a dud, Hampton was a VERY atypical show!

People always being up one show to try and defend the whole tour. Do we know what the crowd could hear during that show? I guess I will start posting dead stadium.audience videos from 1981 to prove my point. We all know during the film LSTNT the crowd was dead the entire show. The only times crowds woke up during most of that tour was vidual cues when Jagger would walk over by them.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 16, 2016 19:44

Mel Belli
If '81 was a dud, Mick Jagger and his coke-addled voice was the chief culprit.

Yeah crowds and stadiums are dead because Jaqger did sing well. You are joking right.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: May 16, 2016 20:11

They had horn sections and keyboardists going back to the early 70s.
I guess backup singers would be new but by 1989 Jagger was locked into that running and singing routine and Keith couldn't help with harmonies so you needed backup vocalists.
Probably in 1989 Mick and the promoters couldn't be sure that Keith and Ronnie could hold up to a pretty grueling schedule. All told they did more than 100 shows over a full year.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 16, 2016 20:11

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
The Stones 1981 tour led to what we heard in 1989. The 1981 tour was weak and Mick and most of the 1981 crowds knew it. I saw Mick in an interview right before the 1989 tour say that this one ( 1989 ) would be alot harder and alot better then 81 and that 81 wasn't very good. Plus the music world had changed. Acts were more polished as a whole.

I have tried to point this put numerous times but people on here keep denying that the Stones 1981 tour was a dud. I won't bother posting the dead crowds at their 81 tour again. You either want you see it or you don't. I saw the 81 tour and I am everyone I knew thought the Stones sucked live and where nothing buy hype as a live band. dead stadium and weak show. Then I saw 1989 and they blew me and everyone else I know away. The Stadium was going nuts.

The 1981 Tour a dud? Sure it had some bad moments but to call the whole tour a dud? My friend, I just watched Hampton 81 this morning. If the 81 tour was a dud, Hampton was a VERY atypical show!

People always being up one show to try and defend the whole tour. Do we know what the crowd could hear during that show? I guess I will start posting dead stadium.audience videos from 1981 to prove my point. We all know during the film LSTNT the crowd was dead the entire show. The only times crowds woke up during most of that tour was vidual cues when Jagger would walk over by them.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Black Limo from Tempe was a dud? Dude, drink some coffee!

Date: May 16, 2016 20:16

HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Obviously you don't get the point. It doesn't mater what you can hear on your computer. If you can't see that the crowd is dead for that concert then I don't know what to tell you. Its like you are joking.

The crowd looks like they are at a College Lecture instead of a Rock Concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-16 20:20 by stanlove.

Date: May 16, 2016 20:19

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Obviously you don't get the point. It doesn't mater what you can hear on your computer. If you can't see that the crowd is dead for that concert then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think the crowd is dead. They're packed in like sardines, can't move and are prolly stoned. And even if they are dead, it doesn't change the fact that the Stones sound great!

Date: May 16, 2016 20:33

HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Obviously you don't get the point. It doesn't mater what you can hear on your computer. If you can't see that the crowd is dead for that concert then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think the crowd is dead. They're packed in like sardines, can't move and are prolly stoned. And even if they are dead, it doesn't change the fact that the Stones sound great!

OK now you have denied that the crowd was dead, then gave every excuse for them acting dead, and then admitted maybe they are dead.

The crowd was dead like it was for that whole tour in General because the Stones didn't have a big enough sound for a stadium show. Jagger knew that, said before the 89 tour that it was going to be alot better then 81, and then added alot of musicians.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 17, 2016 01:55

Spud

For the visuals & theatricals, maybe...for the music...no.

I would say Pink Floyd's 1987 touring presentation was the yardstick to measure by for both The Who and The Stones in 1989.

Date: May 17, 2016 02:01

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

OK now you have denied that the crowd was dead, then gave every excuse for them acting dead, and then admitted maybe they are dead.

The crowd was dead like it was for that whole tour in General because the Stones didn't have a big enough sound for a stadium show. Jagger knew that, said before the 89 tour that it was going to be alot better then 81, and then added alot of musicians.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't give a damn how the crowds acted. I'm saying the Stones were good anyway. I think it was the times. By the way, in those videos you posted I see a lot of people clapping and looking like they're having a pretty good time...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-17 02:17 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 17, 2016 02:34

On Jagger's solo tour in 1988, even though he was touring in support of Primitive Cool, he featured many Stones songs that he taught to his back-up band and re-did the arrangements to try to sound close to like what you heard on the albums. This was the beginning of what would evolve into what the Steel Wheels tour sounded like when the Stones re-convened in 1989.

Date: May 17, 2016 02:35

Sighunt
On Jagger's solo tour in 1988, even though he was touring in support of Primitive Cool, he featured many Stones songs that he taught to his back-up band and re-did the arrangements to try to sound close to like what you heard on the albums. This was the beginning of what would evolve into what the Steel Wheels tour sounded like when the Stones re-convened in 1989.
Indeed...

Date: May 17, 2016 02:56

I just found a video of Mick solo in 1987. God, talk about slick....the definite template for the 1989 Stones. Way too slick.....way too slick. He opened with HTW and it was so glossy....no wonder Keith threatened to slit his throat!
[www.youtube.com]
Painfully obvious why Mick needs Keith to keep him grounded!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-17 03:14 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 17, 2016 03:15

HonkeyTonkFlash
I just found a video of Mick solo in 1987. God, talk about slick....the definite template for the 1989 Stones. Way too slick.....way too slick. He opened with HTW and it was so glossy....no wonder Keith threatened to slit his throat!
[www.youtube.com]
Painfully obvious why Mick needs Keith to keep him grounded!
Bump! You gotta see this mick video....OMG....

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: May 17, 2016 03:23

john lomax
I don't think it was influenced by the Who at all. I saw Mick's solo tour in 1988 and I believe that a lot of what Mick learned and did in that tour made its way into the Steel a Wheels tour the following year. In a way it could be argued that Mick's 1988 Australian tour paved the way for the Stones tours we've experienced since 1989.

Yup - what he said.

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: May 17, 2016 03:24

Stoneage
Basically, I think Jagger didn't have confidence in his musicians any more. Especially the guitar section. To ensure a steady quality he went for the Vegas concept.
I think his 88 tour with professional musicians convinced him to make this decision. He had had enough of @#$%&-ups during the 81/82 tour. Probably...

Yup - what he said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-17 03:25 by Kennedy.

Date: May 17, 2016 03:55

HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

What I'm trying to say is that I don't give a damn how the crowds acted. I'm saying the Stones were good anyway. I think it was the times. By the way, in those videos you posted I see a lot of people clapping and looking like they're having a pretty good time...

No you don't see alot of people clapping and acting like they are having a good time because they are not in the video. Unless you are talking about the visual of seeing Mick real close or the polite appause at the time of songs.

So you don't think Mick shou;d care that the audience is not into the concert at all? And for most of the tour the Stones did not play fine. Th

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 17, 2016 09:14

If I remember correctly, the Who's 1989 tour was billed as a 25th Anniversary tour. Plus, I remember an article where Pete was doing his math and discovered a tour of stadiums would make him quite a bit of money. I wasn't too thrilled about the show. Totally augmented band (The Who with percussion?) The first 45 minutes were Tommy, which slowed the pace down. Never let Roger do the setlists. That's why the Super Bowl was awful. They should have blasted through Can't Explain, Substitute, My Generation and one other of your choice.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: May 17, 2016 10:27

Actually I think that Dirty Work was the start when the band was expanded with backing
vocalists. For the first time since Exile (well, maybe Where the boys go, but I wouldn't
count these street girls as vocalists) they used female choirs to back them up.
And yes, technical developments helped a lot too. When giving a stadium show, it no longer
was sufficient to have only a video screen.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: May 17, 2016 10:55

marcovandereijk
Actually I think that Dirty Work was the start when the band was expanded with backing
vocalists. For the first time since Exile (well, maybe Where the boys go, but I wouldn't
count these street girls as vocalists) they used female choirs to back them up.
And yes, technical developments helped a lot too. When giving a stadium show, it no longer
was sufficient to have only a video screen.

You're right about the studio vocalists. They even had outside vocalists as far back as HTW and Exile. I'm mainly talking about how they expanded the stage show...and let's not forget that in 1981 they didn't even have screens except for a couple locations. I found that odd as the technology was available. Other acts in 1981-2 were using screens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-17 11:17 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 17, 2016 10:58

stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove
HonkeyTonkFlash
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

No you don't see alot of people clapping and acting like they are having a good time because they are not in the video. Unless you are talking about the visual of seeing Mick real close or the polite appause at the time of songs.

So you don't think Mick shou;d care that the audience is not into the concert at all? And for most of the tour the Stones did not play fine. Th

OK - So all those people with their arms in the air, clapping their hands over their heads in those 1981 videos are an illusion. I'll see my eye doctor ASAP.

Date: May 17, 2016 11:05

tomk
If I remember correctly, the Who's 1989 tour was billed as a 25th Anniversary tour. Plus, I remember an article where Pete was doing his math and discovered a tour of stadiums would make him quite a bit of money. I wasn't too thrilled about the show. Totally augmented band (The Who with percussion?) The first 45 minutes were Tommy, which slowed the pace down. Never let Roger do the setlists. That's why the Super Bowl was awful. They should have blasted through Can't Explain, Substitute, My Generation and one other of your choice.

I enjoyed the 1989 show for what it was as it was my first and only time to see The Who. In my heart, I would rather have seen them as a four piece but it was what it was. I found it interesting to learn that they used the same drummer, Simon Phillips that Jagger used on his 1987 Tour. A lot of the other excess musicians and singers were vets from Pete's solo projects....and to be really cynical about it, some critics charge that the real reason for the tour was to promote Pete's solo album. They did do several songs from it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-17 11:14 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 17, 2016 11:21

Yeah what tooootal burnouts are the audience near the stage. Are they even awaaaaake?! >>> [www.youtube.com]

I've tracked down more live versions of UNDER MY THUMB from the '81/'82 tour than any other song from any other tour. I just love how they rocked it up, substituting Brian's marimba riffs with Ronnie's guitar. (De gustibus non est disputandum — Taste is not debatable.)

Date: May 17, 2016 11:21

[www.youtube.com]
Speaking of that video of Mick solo, think back to the Mick of say, 1969-1972....what the hell happened? It's like he went from a wild rocker to competing with Michael Jackson or something. And so many backup singers and dancers...talk about Vegas! SMH.

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 17, 2016 14:26

HonkeyTonkFlash
[www.youtube.com]
Speaking of that video of Mick solo, think back to the Mick of say, 1969-1972....what the hell happened? It's like he went from a wild rocker to competing with Michael Jackson or something. And so many backup singers and dancers...talk about Vegas! SMH.

Oh man, I had never gotten far enough into that concert to see the devil mask on "Sympathy." A lot of the same tropes we would see in '89. Same core setlist, including the general location of Tumbling, Harlem Shuffle, and Miss You. Bernard is a common denominator, too. You can hear similar vocal arrangements --
especially the female harmony on Shelter.

It's not *such* a disaster if you see it as Mick's dry run at modernizing his live act. The shtick is painful to watch, but he was experimenting. And I think it ultimately worked out for the best...

Date: May 17, 2016 15:01

Mel Belli
HonkeyTonkFlash
[www.youtube.com]

Oh man, I had never gotten far enough into that concert to see the devil mask on "Sympathy." A lot of the same tropes we would see in '89. Same core setlist, including the general location of Tumbling, Harlem Shuffle, and Miss You. Bernard is a common denominator, too. You can hear similar vocal arrangements --

It's not *such* a disaster if you see it as Mick's dry run at modernizing his live act. The shtick is painful to watch, but he was experimenting. And I think it ultimately worked out for the best...
yep...

Date: May 17, 2016 20:31

Mel Belli
HonkeyTonkFlash
[www.youtube.com]

Watching that video of Mick solo in Japan kind of made me feel sorry for the Stones, especially Keith. Mick probably said that if the Stones were going to tour again, they'd have to do it his way or not at all. Funny he was promoting a solo album but most of the songs were Stones numbers. Keith must have been right to say that Mick went through a phase of thinking the Stones were merely Mick Jagger's backing band. Kind of glad Charlie punched him. Might of knocked a little sense into him.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 17, 2016 20:47

bye bye johnny
The Who didn't tour in 1988.

Nor did the Stones start their tour in 1990...

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: May 18, 2016 00:44

The "Tommy" complete tour, with others hits, I saw them in Atlanta, and yeah that when Pete was having ear issues, playing mostly acoustic, with the guy from the Cult playing most of the show on electric, but when they came out last, they busted out "Won't Get Fool Again' Pete windmillin' on electric for the closer as usual!

Date: May 18, 2016 01:06

Pink Floyd and Mick’s solo tour were the yardsticks, not the Who's tour.

Date: May 18, 2016 14:43

DandelionPowderman
Pink Floyd and Mick’s solo tour were the yardsticks, not the Who's tour.

Makes sense the more I look into it. I just found it interesting that two formerly stripped-down bands came back in the same year with such heavily augmented ensembles.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home