Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Songs that were great on certain tours...
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 4, 2016 20:36

GasLightStreet
Shattered in 1994 was the best live version of it ever to my ears.

Start Me Up for STEEL WHEELS tours.

Jumpin' Jack Flash... 1969/70

Honky Tonk Women - 1975-76, 1978, 1981. The LOVE YOU LIVE version is, like Tumbling Dice from EOMS, a perfect example of how the Stones can be excellent at the roll (and Keith's best lickage and solo ever). In 1978 and most so in 1981/82 it's the intro with the fantastic time play of Keith and Charlie without losing the swagger of the tune afterwards (hell, it was only 12 years old when they started the TATTOO YOU tour - it was still warm!). Ever since then it's been on cruise control. The way Keith intros it in 1978 and 1981-82 is hilarious in the sense of it's just a chord... tearing and vamping like that. The attack and knife that it has is what makes it work.

Monkey Man - Although I was floored that they did it for the VOODOO tour, the LICKS tour was even better.

* Sparks Will Fly - 1994-95 Because hopefully it will never be played live again.

Yeah - Start Me Up was great in 1989. That song has a certain very crisp guitar sound on the studio version that often gets lost when done live, but in 1989 they managed to nail it. Thus the version on Flashpoint sounds great to me, while the one on Still Life sounds much weaker.

Posted by: Hansman ()
Date: May 4, 2016 21:00

DGA35
I love Under My Thumb in Still Life, especially the opening guitar riffs! Got Live version is a bit too fast for my liking and 1969 was a bit too slow.

Under My Thumb is among my TOP 5 fav Stones songs ever, BUT..without the Marimbaphon it's useless for me.

Date: May 4, 2016 21:01

Another thing that makes certain songs stand out on certain tours is the element of surprise; you didn't expect to hear them. Some examples for me:
1978 - Love In Vain! They hadn't done that in awhile.
1981 - Time Is On My Side! When had they last done that? And YCAGWYW - I didn't hear it in 1978 so didn't know if they'd bring it back.
1989 - 2000 Light Years From Home...I never expected them to attempt such an experimental number live!
2006 - Sway! Another one I never really expected live! And the reappearing of a guitar driven Under My Thumb in place of the predictable Miss You!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 4, 2016 21:27

Dead Flowers, Tumbling Dice - 1972
Out Of Control - 2014
Stray Cat Blues - 1969

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 4, 2016 21:38

HonkeyTonkFlash
Another thing that makes certain songs stand out on certain tours is the element of surprise; you didn't expect to hear them. Some examples for me:
1981 - Time Is On My Side! When had they last done that? And YCAGWYW - I didn't hear it in 1978 so didn't know if they'd bring it back.
1989 - 2000 Light Years From Home...I never expected them to attempt such an experimental number live!
2006 - Sway! Another one I never really expected live! And the reappearing of a guitar driven Under My Thumb in place of the predictable Miss You!

Was UMT actually guitar driven in 2006? I know it is in the Austin show, but I thought the conventional wisdom was that that was Pierre after the fact...

Date: May 4, 2016 21:42

tommycharles
HonkeyTonkFlash

Was UMT actually guitar driven in 2006? I know it is in the Austin show, but I thought the conventional wisdom was that that was Pierre after the fact...

Yeah - that one (Austin) was overdubbed, but at the show I saw it was guitar driven albeit not as heavy as in 1981. Woody was playing the main riff (in tandem with Chuck duplicating the marimba sound), and Keith was handling the chord work...if memory serves...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-04 22:01 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 4, 2016 22:04

Let It Bleed was also a nice surprise in 1981 and I love the way they jammed with it. Next time I heard it on the Licks Tour they tried too hard to duplicate the album version and it wasn't quite as exciting.

Date: May 5, 2016 02:29

And...Sympathy For The Devil was never better than in 1969 ala Ya Ya's! When I hear the drum loop version of today I can't believe it's the same band....well, I guess it's not except Mick, Keith and Charlie are still there.

Date: May 5, 2016 21:57

Start Me Up was great on the Steel Wheels Tour. Most other tours it just didn't have the required punch and bite. Also loved Satisfaction on that tour with the breakdown, "Can ya hit me one time?...Two times..."

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: May 5, 2016 22:41

HonkeyTonkFlash
tommycharles
HonkeyTonkFlash

Yeah - that one (Austin) was overdubbed, but at the show I saw it was guitar driven albeit not as heavy as in 1981. Woody was playing the main riff (in tandem with Chuck duplicating the marimba sound), and Keith was handling the chord work...if memory serves...

I have wondered for so long how they managed to play it in Austin. Did Pierre play the riff or what?

Date: May 5, 2016 22:50

MacLaurens
HonkeyTonkFlash
tommycharles
HonkeyTonkFlash

I have wondered for so long how they managed to play it in Austin. Did Pierre play the riff or what?

If you watch the video closely, Ronnie is playing the main riff at first...then it sounds like Keith comes in playing it in tandem with Ron but his hands are not on the guitar at all! Being that the notes say something like, "additional recordings by Pierre..." people theorize he overdubbed Keith's part.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 5, 2016 23:05

Gimmee Shelter and Rocks Off in 72

Date: May 5, 2016 23:41

HonkeyTonkFlash
MacLaurens
HonkeyTonkFlash
tommycharles
HonkeyTonkFlash

If you watch the video closely, Ronnie is playing the main riff at first...then it sounds like Keith comes in playing it in tandem with Ron but his hands are not on the guitar at all! Being that the notes say something like, "additional recordings by Pierre..." people theorize he overdubbed Keith's part.

That's exactly what I have noticed when I have been watching the video. Interesting.

Date: May 5, 2016 23:47

MacLaurens
HonkeyTonkFlash
MacLaurens
HonkeyTonkFlash
tommycharles
HonkeyTonkFlash

That's exactly what I have noticed when I have been watching the video. Interesting.
Gotta give Pierre his props - if that is him playing, he sounds very much like Keith did in 1981!

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 6, 2016 00:00

HonkeyTonkFlash
Also loved Satisfaction on that tour with the breakdown, "Can ya hit me one time?...Two times..."

I know its all about opinions but for me this was a real low point, a rock n roll band morphing into a "showbiz" act and ushering in the Las Vegas era. Really glad they dropped this on subsequent tours.

Date: May 6, 2016 00:06

Valeswood
HonkeyTonkFlash
Also loved Satisfaction on that tour with the breakdown, "Can ya hit me one time?...Two times..."

I know its all about opinions but for me this was a real low point, a rock n roll band morphing into a "showbiz" act and ushering in the Las Vegas era. Really glad they dropped this on subsequent tours.

I liked it as a one time thing...Now, if they had repeated that bit on every tour it would've become cabaret...Sort of like the cheesy SFTD drum loop...

Date: May 6, 2016 00:07

When I watched the video once more of UMT in Austin there is no doubt that there is a "third" guitar. In one sequence neither Keith nor Ronnie have there hands on their guitar, just as HonkyTonkFlash said. So there must be some kind of overdub.

Date: May 6, 2016 00:23

MacLaurens
When I watched the video once more of UMT in Austin there is no doubt that there is a "third" guitar. In one sequence neither Keith nor Ronnie have there hands on their guitar, just as HonkyTonkFlash said. So there must be some kind of overdub.

I wonder if there is any raw, un-overdubbed video of that show? Gonna go look...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2016 04:10

Tumbling Dice was really good on the VOODOO and BRIDGES tours.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 7, 2016 05:27

MacLaurens

I remember commenting on this a long time ago. I always thought it was Blondie playing guitar, too, on the main stage perhaps? I remember when I saw them in Vancouver at the end of 06, I was surprised at how much guitar Blondie actually played. On the opening number, JJF, he was playing guitar but hidden behind the speakers around where Chuck plays. I was on the floor about 20 rows back on the far left side and I could see him sitting down behind the speakers playing guitar.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 7, 2016 11:59

"Additional footage by" so and so means so and so shot the film.
"Additional recordings by Pierre" could mean Pierre handled the recording of Keith's overdubs.

Love in Vain was indeed beautiful in 78. I bet it was Ronnie who really pushed for including that.

Date: May 7, 2016 14:05

DGA35
MacLaurens

I remember commenting on this a long time ago. I always thought it was Blondie playing guitar, too, on the main stage perhaps? I remember when I saw them in Vancouver at the end of 06, I was surprised at how much guitar Blondie actually played. On the opening number, JJF, he was playing guitar but hidden behind the speakers around where Chuck plays. I was on the floor about 20 rows back on the far left side and I could see him sitting down behind the speakers playing guitar.

That's a good thought. I'd have more respect for the Stones if it was an actual live musician (Blondie) playing on the stage than having the guitar tech do an overdub. Hell, I would at least feel better if I knew it was Keith doing his own overdub than letting Pierre do it! I'd like to think they have some artistic integrity...I'm sure they do. I know on the 4 Flicks DVD, Blondie contributes a lot of the guitar on BTMMR, with Keith frequently taking his hands off the instrument. I'd be happier if Keith played more but it is what it is...

Date: May 7, 2016 19:02

Also...there were "things" that were cool the first time they did them that became schtick when they repeated them every time on later tours. First example - the piano solo on Honky Tonk Women. Cool in 1989 because you didn't expect it. After that...yawn. Surprise us once in a while, maybe give Ronnie a solo in that slot and let Chuck show off on a different tune...Just sayin'...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-07 19:07 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 7, 2016 19:29

UMT has to be the song that's seen the most variations, fantastic in 1981, at least on Still Life, not so much at other shows, like Seattle I think, and not so good on other tours, even barely recognizable in 69 and indeed lifeless in 1997.

Watching Jointrip's Atlantic City right now and they were really on fire, great versions of Undercover and Harlem Shuffle!

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: May 7, 2016 22:57

gotdablouse
UMT has to be the song that's seen the most variations, fantastic in 1981, at least on Still Life, not so much at other shows, like Seattle I think, and not so good on other tours, even barely recognizable in 69 and indeed lifeless in 1997.

Watching Jointrip's Atlantic City right now and they were really on fire, great versions of Undercover and Harlem Shuffle!

UMT on SL is one of my favorite things ever of all time!! Yeah - very let down when I heard them try to re-do the studio version in 1997. It went from Still Life to No Life...It was better in 2006, though - at least the one I heard at Giants Stadium. Ronnie played the riff though, not as strong as how Keith played it in 1981.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 8, 2016 03:24

DandelionPowderman
Honky Tonk, All Down The Line and Love In Vain were fantastic in 1978.

Live with Me, Stray Cat Blues and Brown Sugar were great in 1969-1971.

JJF and No Expectations were exceptional in 1968.

Street Fighting Man was excellent acoustic in 1995. Great on recent tours, as well as in 1969.

Loved the 69/70-versions of SFTD. It was very good in 1975, too.

Many of the GHS-tracks were excellent in 1973.

UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS, WOAF and LIB were ace in 1981.

All imho, of course smiling smiley

This pretty much nails it, I just would add Love In Vain from 1969 to 1971 to the "fantastic" category, too - but we had this LIV discussion elsewhere some months ago...

Date: May 8, 2016 03:39

DandelionPowderman - "Loved the 69/70-versions of SFTD. It was very good in 1975, too."

Speaking of SFTD, has anyone ever heard any recording of it from the warm up gig for the 1981 tour? Supposedly they did it there but never again during the tour...

Date: May 8, 2016 15:30

alimente
DandelionPowderman
Honky Tonk, All Down The Line and Love In Vain were fantastic in 1978.

Live with Me, Stray Cat Blues and Brown Sugar were great in 1969-1971.

JJF and No Expectations were exceptional in 1968.

Street Fighting Man was excellent acoustic in 1995. Great on recent tours, as well as in 1969.

Loved the 69/70-versions of SFTD. It was very good in 1975, too.

Many of the GHS-tracks were excellent in 1973.

UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS, WOAF and LIB were ace in 1981.

All imho, of course smiling smiley

This pretty much nails it, I just would add Love In Vain from 1969 to 1971 to the "fantastic" category, too - but we had this LIV discussion elsewhere some months ago...

LIV 69-71 belongs up there as well.

Date: May 8, 2016 17:11

Naive as I was in 1978, I considered Miss You a novelty, despite it being a hit..didn't really expect it to become a War Equestrian! And that 1978 version is probably my favorite; 1981 pretty good. Then it became a live jukebox thing.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 9, 2016 05:53

STILL A FOOL, 1995.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 18:27 by Title5Take1.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home