Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Songs that were great on certain tours...
Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 9, 2016 08:57

gotdablouse
UMT has to be the song that's seen the most variations, fantastic in 1981, at least on Still Life, not so much at other shows, like Seattle I think, and not so good on other tours, even barely recognizable in 69 and indeed lifeless in 1997.

Watching Jointrip's Atlantic City right now and they were really on fire, great versions of Undercover and Harlem Shuffle!
It was a great opener in 1981 no doubt, I prefer the Hampton version to the studio. However you're right that at other shows it was a bit of a trainwreck with Keith being severely out of tune at times and flubbing the riff.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 9, 2016 13:01

erad
gotdablouse
UMT has to be the song that's seen the most variations, fantastic in 1981, at least on Still Life, not so much at other shows, like Seattle I think, and not so good on other tours, even barely recognizable in 69 and indeed lifeless in 1997.

Watching Jointrip's Atlantic City right now and they were really on fire, great versions of Undercover and Harlem Shuffle!
It was a great opener in 1981 no doubt, I prefer the Hampton version to the studio. However you're right that at other shows it was a bit of a trainwreck with Keith being severely out of tune at times and flubbing the riff.

Part of the charm of the Stones; especially Keith. He's a simple player, not above making mistakes - but when he nails something, it is sheer brilliance for the ages!

Date: May 9, 2016 14:10

I don't think I've ever heard Keith out of tune on UMT on the 1981/82 tours.

What I've heard, however, is him obviously not hearing what he's playing during the intro. It probably took some time adjusting the monitors etc. On some boots you can hear him feeling his way through the riff the first few times he plays it (often off key).

Date: May 9, 2016 14:42

DandelionPowderman
I don't think I've ever heard Keith out of tune on UMT on the 1981/82 tours.

What I've heard, however, is him obviously not hearing what he's playing during the intro. It probably took some time adjusting the monitors etc. On some boots you can hear him feeling his way through the riff the first few times he plays it (often off key).

Yeah, you can hearing him stumbling with it at times, bum notes, etc. But like I said - when he nailed it...ooohhhh yeah!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-09 15:48 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Date: May 9, 2016 18:25

Let's not forget Live With Me in 1969. Loved the way Keith revamped the bass part as a guitar riff and Bill's bass underneath it is extraordinary! The Ya Ya's version flat out ROCKS! The weaving there is between Keith and Bill!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1330
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home