Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15
Re: R.I.P. Prince
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 1, 2016 02:40

Naturalust
camper88
Killer Country meets R&B tribute version of Nothing Compares 2U by Chris Stapleton.

That was very, very cool. Much thanks for the link camper!

Here is another awesome cover of the tune by Chris Cornell.

[www.youtube.com]

& yet another. I have a mad crush on Natalie Maines. She's a feisty one. & that lady can sing!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 1, 2016 12:02

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 1, 2016 19:26

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 1, 2016 21:05

crholmstrom
Naturalust
camper88
Killer Country meets R&B tribute version of Nothing Compares 2U by Chris Stapleton.

Here is another awesome cover of the tune by Chris Cornell.

[www.youtube.com]

& yet another. I have a mad crush on Natalie Maines. She's a feisty one. & that lady can sing!

[www.youtube.com]

I went to High School with Natalie and her dad is a friend of the family. How about that...a girl from Lubbock, Tx makes the biggest selling female group ever...not bad. Maybe it's the High School...Buddy went there too (I don't think Bobby did). Go Westerners!

BTW...many here may know, but her dad was in the Joe Ely band. Their guitarist Jesse Taylor is my pick for Greatest Guitarist You Never Heard Of. His 1 solo album wasn't that great, but he was awesome with the Joe Ely Band. He was also one hell of a person.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: May 1, 2016 21:13

You know, something on Prince...and yes, he was really great...but I saw him several times and he generally performed more like an MC. When I was hoping for a great version of whatever song...or awesome guitar work, I'd get 1/3 of a song & some playful banter from The Purple One. They were fun shows, but they seemed more like a party than a concert. This was especially true when he played the LA Forum 20+ times in a row or whatever it was.

Shiela E & Nicole Richie are cousins btw...Richie is an Escovedo by blood...if anyone cares. That family deserves some special accolade...what a contribution to music by 1 family (granted, 13 children by the patriarch).

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: May 1, 2016 23:30

sundevil
Brits 2006. another treat for those who get it.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow! That was amazing.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 2, 2016 00:12

For those who appreciate Prince's guitar playing abilities; this montreux jazz festival performance in 2009 is outstanding.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Date: May 3, 2016 01:12

i have a friend saying prince isn't a great guitar player because he doesn't write a ton of great riffs and being able to play a million instruments is just a gimmick. wtf

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: May 3, 2016 04:33

Being a fabulous musician who can hang with or outplay most others is a gimmick? Um, no, it's called brilliance and focus on craft.

I would have loved a peek into his daily schedule when he's on fire. Imagine how MUCH time he must have played music to record the number of songs he's got -- in the can and out in the world.

I was listening to Crystal Ball today. The second of his 3-disc sets released in a 6 month period. There is some amazing stuff on there. The guy was an absolute freak of nature musically. What a tragedy to lose him and apparently without a will. We can only hope that we'll get to hear some of that trove of music that's inside Paisley Park.

T@3

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 3, 2016 04:36

keefriffhard4life
i have a friend saying prince isn't a great guitar player because he doesn't write a ton of great riffs and being able to play a million instruments is just a gimmick. wtf

What does your friend think about Brian Jones? He played a half a million instruments and didn't write a ton of great riffs either.

Ask your friend to listen to Prince's solo on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

naturalust

Glad ya liked it. I thought Stapleton was stunning. Cornell's vocals as well. Thanks for that.

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 04:38 by camper88.

Date: May 3, 2016 06:34

my friend could care less about that stuff honestly. I've showed him tons of great guitar solos and honestly he says "yeah they were great but who remembers them after that"

Date: May 3, 2016 08:14

keefriffhard4life
my friend could care less about that stuff honestly. I've showed him tons of great guitar solos and honestly he says "yeah they were great but who remembers them after that"

Who remembers guitar solos? Well that's a long list that's almost too silly to get into but I'd start by suggesting that, for one, Taylorites remember guitar solos.

Yet I imagine your friend would not be impressed by Mick Taylor because, after all, he didn't come up with a ton of riffs, just transcendent solos among other things.

Anyway, I'm way off topic. I'll just say that Prince could play pretty much any musical style of the 20th century from blues to jazz to funk to rock to country, and back. If your friend doesn't appreciate his playing, that's too bad in my ears. But to each his/ her own.

you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 08:18 by camper88.

Date: May 3, 2016 08:18

camper88
keefriffhard4life

Who remembers guitar solos? Well that's a long list that's almost too silly to get into but I'd start by suggesting that, for one, Taylorites remember guitar solos.

Yet I imagine your friend would not be impressed by Mick Taylor because, after all, he didn't come up with a ton of riffs, just transcendent solos among other things.

I mean he's saying none of prince guitar solos are memorable and are forgotten right after you listen to them.

yeah sadly he's impressed by jimmy page but always out down prince and jeff beck just to name a few. complaints range from no well written riffs, not memorable guitar solos, playing too many instruments, not doing just rock, etc.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 3, 2016 13:58

keefriffhard4life
camper88
keefriffhard4life

I mean he's saying none of prince guitar solos are memorable and are forgotten right after you listen to them.

yeah sadly he's impressed by jimmy page but always out down prince and jeff beck just to name a few. complaints range from no well written riffs, not memorable guitar solos, playing too many instruments, not doing just rock, etc.

Have him listen to this one keefriff....

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 3, 2016 14:27

keefriffhard4life
[

he's saying none of prince guitar solos. . . are forgotten right after you listen to them.

. . . he's. . . always out down prince and jeff beck just to name a few. complaints range from no well written riffs, not memorable guitar solos, playing too many instruments, not doing just rock, etc.

If your friend can't remember something right after listening to it and doesn't care for musicians that work in other genres than rock (like the Stones do themselves), then, he/she has problems that Prince can't solve, or any other guitarist for that matter. If he/she can't remember his version of Motherless Child, then there's nothing to be done.

you're Mick Jagger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-03 15:11 by camper88.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 3, 2016 15:46

camper88

Motherless Child,

Part of me feels for krh4l's friend... The other part is thankful for him simply because it led to camper88 posting that link. Thanks camper! I'll be saving that one later on! What a band. Such a loss.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: May 5, 2016 00:40

putting this up because i'm afraid it may be taken down by the greedheads. press conference

johnny b. goode, anotherloverholeinyohead, get on the boat

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 5, 2016 01:36

Much like Bowie earlier this year, how sad these artists earn such acclaim when they're no longer alive to appreciate it. All over the radio, all over the magazine covers, tributes galore. No one gave either of them such attention for years. That is unfortunate.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 5, 2016 02:02

Rocky Dijon
Much like Bowie earlier this year, how sad these artists earn such acclaim when they're no longer alive to appreciate it. All over the radio, all over the magazine covers, tributes galore. No one gave either of them such attention for years. That is unfortunate.

It is nauseating, it really is.
Like only after the the demise of The Ramones did they rake in the BIG money.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 5, 2016 04:47

Here is Prince doing a cover of Pearl Jam's Even Flow. Pretty cool stuff.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: May 5, 2016 09:50

With Sheila E. ...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 5, 2016 10:10

jambay
Rocky Dijon

Not entirly sure if this is true but I have read Van Gogh never sold a painting
while he was alive.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 5, 2016 10:58

Paul McCartney - Hometown tribute to Prince

Paul and his band jamming on 'Let's Go Crazy' in Minneapolis, a hometown tribute to Prince.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 5, 2016 12:12

Rocky Dijon

Bowie got much attention and acclaim, his entire life. Right 'til the very end when Blackstar got raving reviews.
Of course when somebody this great dies; people look back how great he was.

Prince is different. He made very boring, predictable albums from Rave un2 the Joy Fantastic onwards. Nobody should have paid attention to those albums, if you ask me... notwithstanding a good song here or there (damn, 'Fury' was a fantastic track).
But he still got much acclaim for his live gigs (although I always was very frustrated with the medley approach).

Both of them must have felt very appreciated.

Not like when Michael Jackson died. He was spat at, ridiculed in the US for his last 15 years. Then all of a sudden the entire world was a longtime fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-05 12:59 by BowieStone.

Date: May 5, 2016 12:40

swimtothemoon
jambay
Rocky Dijon

while he was alive.

Yeah, I guess this type of thing has been going on for... ever? sad smiley

I guess a lot of people, like it has been said, don't know what ya got until it is gone.

But not me, I love (almost to death) and give and show love to the people and "things" I cherish, respect and enjoy like The Rolling Stones. This band is so great, but still I see too many people talking shit about them, bashing on them about this and that and the other. Nitpicking so many little things about them as opposed to just giving it up for them and saying...

Wow, these guys are the greatest ever, overlook the little things. The Rolling Stones ARE that awesome!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 5, 2016 19:38

swimtothemoon
jambay
Rocky Dijon

while he was alive.

The story goes he sold one...and it was either to his older brother Theo out of sympathy, or his uncle who was an art dealer that wanted to give Vincent a boost.
There's many variations to the story -some say he sold two paintings while others say he sold none. I think there's written letters between Vincent and his brother that mention the sell of one.
In any case, his career took off after he died.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 5, 2016 21:19

Forgive me if it's already here somewhere...too funny not to share and I bet Prince would think so too! grinning smiley

Disappointing Prince Vaults Found To Contain 37,000 Hours Of Billy Joel Covers

[www.theonion.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 12, 2016 00:40

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 12 May 2016

ROCKMAN

Date: May 12, 2016 01:57

Seems like Prince took the lyrics to the song literally...

I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City, here I come
They got a crazy way of loving there
And I'm gonna get me one

I'm gonna be standing on the corner
12th Street and Vine
With my Kansas City baby
And a bottle of Kansas City wine

I'm going to Kansas City
Kansas City, here I come
They got some crazy little women there
And I'm gonna get me one

Mick knows the deal...
"not kidding, that's for real"
[www.youtube.com]

Rockman

THE AUSTRALIAN -- 12 May 2016

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 12, 2016 04:17

If you're a major Prince fan you might be interested in a rare T-shirt I have posted on Hot Stuff.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 12 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home