Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Charly´s best drumming.
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: April 11, 2016 19:30

Hey Crawdaddy - Paris 65

Sympathy for the Devil - (unless that's Jimmy Miller)

Live With Me (from YaYas)

Let It Rock (Leeds 71)

Street Fighter (Brussels or London 73)

Outa Space (LA 75) (thanks, Ollie!)

When the Whip Comes Down

Summer Romance

Undercover of the Night

Suck on the Jugular

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 11, 2016 19:31

How can I stop

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 11, 2016 20:49

For me in the Some Girls and Emotional Rescue albums

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: April 11, 2016 21:44

stonesstein

Undercover of the Night

I think that much credit in this track should go to Sly Dunbar.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 11, 2016 21:44

His Majesty
2000 Man.

I agree. 2000 Man with the 3/4 groove over the 4/4 rhythm during the verse is like a stroke of genius.

Date: April 11, 2016 23:34

His Majesty
peoplewitheyes
Not to very too far from the topic, but when was the last time Charlie played an interesting beat on record. Almost everything I can think of from the last 25 years features the same pedestrian bass-snare-bass-bass-snare plod...

(standing back to avoid the rotten tomatoes)

eye popping smiley

I think his drumming got kinda ruined once they tried to take onboard that jittery new wave drumming style and/or that thing of lifting his stick off the hi-hat when he hits the snare... wonkified his groove, to my ears and it seems to have made him lose his ability to play like he did circa 1967 - 1972. Eg, like his playing on studio versions of Jigsaw Puzzle, Gimme Shelter etc etc.

I'm pretty sure he always did the broken 8th notes on the hi-hat--I thought I saw in an interview somewhere that it's subconscious, he doesn't even notice he's doing it until someone points it out to him.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: April 12, 2016 00:59

Get Yer Ya Ya,s Out! Most definitely

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 12, 2016 01:27

JIVING SISTER FANNY

HAND OF FATE

LITTLE QUEENIE

I DON´T KNOW WHY

ANGIE (the drums!!!!)

I´M FREE (kidding!)

Date: April 12, 2016 01:32

Jiving Sister Fanny must be Jimmy Miller?

Date: April 12, 2016 01:32

SweetCousinCocaine
His Majesty
peoplewitheyes
Not to very too far from the topic, but when was the last time Charlie played an interesting beat on record. Almost everything I can think of from the last 25 years features the same pedestrian bass-snare-bass-bass-snare plod...

eye popping smiley

I think his drumming got kinda ruined once they tried to take onboard that jittery new wave drumming style and/or that thing of lifting his stick off the hi-hat when he hits the snare... wonkified his groove, to my ears and it seems to have made him lose his ability to play like he did circa 1967 - 1972. Eg, like his playing on studio versions of Jigsaw Puzzle, Gimme Shelter etc etc.

I'm pretty sure he always did the broken 8th notes on the hi-hat--I thought I saw in an interview somewhere that it's subconscious, he doesn't even notice he's doing it until someone points it out to him.

He started playing like that in 1978.

Date: April 12, 2016 03:13

More Hot Rocks
Charly Simon doesn't play drums.

She's not too vain, she knows her limits...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2016 10:54

Mathijs
CousinC
I loved his drumming on YaYa's. That was pure Charlie, while on other well known studio cuts we learned the grooves weren't his ideas.

Say what?

Mathijs

Ventilator Blues, Miss you, Sympathy ftD, Honky T. Woman . .
A lot of his best loved drum tracks.

Date: April 12, 2016 11:07

CousinC
Mathijs
CousinC
I loved his drumming on YaYa's. That was pure Charlie, while on other well known studio cuts we learned the grooves weren't his ideas.

Say what?

Mathijs

Ventilator Blues, Miss you, Sympathy ftD, Honky T. Woman . .
A lot of his best loved drum tracks.

You know, that's production. It has nothing to do with not having the ideas for the grooves. It's all about improving them.

Some of them he rejected later on, too. There have been many great live versions of HTW, for instance, but Charlie never played it like the album version again smiling smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:19

Monkey Man, for example.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 12, 2016 11:45

DP, - being a drummer, I see it a bit different.
There are very few outstanding studio drum tracks (from the 'groove idea')that come from Charlie.
But I love his live playin from 69-78. The first years best.

Date: April 12, 2016 11:46

His playing has gone through changes through the years; as it should with any artist. He also has had some brilliant mistakes. ( HTW, SMU) I love that "2000Man" take too. I wonder how intentional it was. No matter - the brilliance is sticking with it.
I like his live playing on Ya-Yas very, very much. Like DP says - I don't much like taking the no-hihat-with-snare to the extreme. I think the 81 tour especially was his lowest point.
I like when he was a bit clumsy; like on Buttons "All Sold Out". I also think he plays fills very well. He places them, like...well like a Jazz drummer.

Date: April 12, 2016 11:54

CousinC
There are very few outstanding studio drum tracks (from the 'groove idea')that come from Charlie.

I respect that, and it was obvious that Jimmy Miller influenced his playing in the early 70s. Maybe Olly Brown as well in the mid-70s?

The «no hi-hat with snare»-approach suited their sound very well in 1978, imo. It left some room for the guitars and bass. In 1981/82 the whole thing became too messy, and Charlie ended up sounding like a robot at times.

He has kept it somewhere in the middle since then.

I love the «clumsy Charlie» as well (good call, Palace!). We might add I'm Free there smiling smiley

Date: April 12, 2016 12:22

DandelionPowderman
CousinC

I respect that, and it was obvious that Jimmy Miller influenced his playing in the early 70s. Maybe Olly Brown as well in the mid-70s?

The «no hi-hat with snare»-approach suited their sound very well in 1978, imo. It left some room for the guitars and bass. In 1981/82 the whole thing became too messy, and Charlie ended up sounding like a robot at times.

He has kept it somewhere in the middle since then.

I love the «clumsy Charlie» as well (good call, Palace!). We might add I'm Free there smiling smiley
LOL "yes "I'M Free" of course; didn't want to add that one because that one has some outright mistakes. A funny passage is on the studio boots from the "Sympathy" sessions, when Charlie keeps ruining take after take. And you hear Jagger going "No Charlie it's the bit that goes..."
There have been drastic changes in drumming styles that affected all drummers. It seems that early on it was way more acceptable for a drummer to work with an open Hi-Hat; or at least to bash that thing a lot harder. The Hi Hat them became a glorified click track. The open hi hat is really only used to then close it; to get that 'shoop' effect. I think that there were big differences between Charlie and Ringo. One of them was how they used the Hi Hat in early albums IMO.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 12, 2016 12:30

peoplewitheyes
when was the last time Charlie played an interesting beat on record.

The 'faux' start of Sweet Neo Con. Brilliant.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 12, 2016 14:07

Jumpin' Jack Flash (original). The drums destroy me every time. I have to play it now before every Seattle Seahawk game as part of my pregame ritual.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 12, 2016 14:23

Mathijs
CousinC

Say what?

Mathijs

Say Honky Tonk Women?

Posted by: MoreFastNumbers ()
Date: April 12, 2016 14:26

Crackin' Up with Ollie Brown

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 12, 2016 15:35

Also Charlie doesn't drum on You Can't Always Get What You Want...several others too.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 12, 2016 15:39

His best drumming is on the entire Emotional Rescue album!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 12, 2016 15:42

Where the boys go

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 12, 2016 15:48

SweetCousinCocaine
His Majesty
peoplewitheyes

eye popping smiley

'I Go Wild' does not follow the standard formula.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: April 12, 2016 15:58

whitem8
Also Charlie doesn't drum on You Can't Always Get What You Want...several others too.

Also no Charlie on IORR, Sleep Tonite, some others I can't recall right now. Did Jimmy Miller play drums on TD?

Date: April 12, 2016 16:02

HonkeyTonkFlash
whitem8

Also no Charlie on IORR, Sleep Tonite, some others I can't recall right now. Did Jimmy Miller play drums on TD?

Jimmy played on the last half of TD (when all the fills and rolls are going on).

He also played on Jiving Sister Fanny, I believe.

Date: April 12, 2016 16:10

Difficult to answer. One of his best is on Ya Ya's, imo.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 12, 2016 16:52

Honky Tonk Woman with cowbell and all maybe...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home