Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Olé Tour setlist speculations...
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 11, 2016 13:47

Off course I was right with my original assessment. It wasn't a hard one to do. But on the last gig they actually threw in 3 "uncommon" songs in the setlist. Maybe we will see even 4 before the tour ends?

Date: February 11, 2016 13:52

The last gig in La Plata is come Saturday.

Date: February 11, 2016 13:54

Latest then, Dandie. Do you follow me then?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: February 11, 2016 14:14

Maybe on the third gig in the same place we'll get what we want:
some great rarity numbers like "Pressure Drop"?! (you know that was rehearsed in Santiago)

Date: February 11, 2016 14:16

Stoneage
Latest then, Dandie. Do you follow me then?

Absolutely! smiling smiley

the Stones Are the Experts
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 13, 2016 17:19

Don't the Stones Know Better?

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-14 17:53 by stonesstein.

Re: the Stones Are the Experts
Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: February 13, 2016 18:39

I love the Stones but I hate YGMR I think it sucks. I'm sure if they play it the audiences in Argentina will go crazy, something else I love, seeing those audiences. What is your point? That the Stones know better how to put on a show than I do or anyone else here? Hardly a revelation worthy of such a huge font. Of course they do. That means if someone says they don't like a song and would rather hear something else, they are a "whiner." How stupid. Nobody thinks they know better, but I would imagine that most have a song or two they don't like and don't want to hear. So, everyone is a whiner, just some whine louder and bigger than most.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: February 13, 2016 20:36

I am in research and the rule in research is that all data needs to be peer reviewed. Folks too close to a subject cannot give an unbiased opinion. Of course, fans are hardly unbiased, but they do provide a critical eye and ear.

But after 1000hrs or whatever the rule is, one becomes an expert at a topic, so the Stones can claim expertise in say playing a song, but I don't know if they can ever claim to know what fans want/need to hear.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 13, 2016 20:52

Just to be clear, you are saying the guy that released "Let's Work" as his lead single off an album of similar classics is infallible and exercises good judgement all the time, and that we shouldn't question his/their judgement...football pants, jock strap and knee pads notwithstanding.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: February 13, 2016 21:20

I think we here at IORR forget sometimes that we follow the band day in day out. We stay up all night (at least the europeans among us) to follow concerts in Chile and BA through low tech periscope footage live and panic when we lose the connection to it. However, we are only a couple of hundred here, whereas the Stones play for tens of thousands every night.

The Stones know their audience and they know that the fast majority of their concert goers have only seen them a handfull of times max, whether it is because of the number of times they visited the country (f.e. Latin America) or high ticket prices (US, Europe). They want to assure that those fans (and not the IORR diehards) have their money worth.

I personally am not fond of YGMR but I fully enjoyed the song when I saw them in Zurich, and so did my 16 years old daughter and her friend who saw them for the very first time.

The Stones play for the people that are at the concert, not for us that follow them through periscope.

By now, we kind of know what the setlist will be, with 2-4 "surprises". If that set list is not your piece of cake, don't go to the concert. Or don't tune in to persiscope.

Let's stop whining, let's be appreciative that they are still around and touring. And hasn't a more or less fixed setlist on any tour been always like that.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: February 13, 2016 21:41

Frank-

I'd agree, but the Stones claim to be getting better (Keef famous for saying this) and part of getting better is growth. I agree they are considerate of folks who pay $$ to see them and want to hear the hits- I think it is very kind of them to keep the oldies fresh time and time again- that must be very tough. Maybe they think of their work as Shakespeare where you can keep reading into it, see the different facets with little changes, age, expertise. I see that and I appreciate it.

That said, I'd love a pay per view for IORR types of other stuff. Have folks vetted before they even can vote (how many times have you seen Stones, make them take a test of expertise, get some musicians on board) on what songs. Use some science to pick what we get to hear, unless they do an entire series of the catalogue! Ha.

The archivist in me would love them to revisit everything. Keith said he wanted to be a librarian, maybe he'd go for it, for history sake.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: February 13, 2016 21:51

stonesstein
Don't the Stones Know Better?

Yes, yes they do. smileys with beer

I trust them. The Rolling Stones have never let me down.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: February 13, 2016 21:53

If the Stones were a creative force they would care about varying their setlists more and write new songs,

However since they are more of a money making machine they care more about giving a greatest hit setlist to the average person.

It's not about them ''knowing what people want'', it's about the fact that they don't care about music any more and the only reason they're still touring is because they probably think it's fun to play some shows without putting in too much effort plus it's highly profitable for them.

Posted by: FrankG ()
Date: February 13, 2016 21:58

Librarian,

You bring up an interesting point, and I think to some extend the Stones already see it that way.

On the one hand there is the broad target group of concert goers and on the other hand the diehard fans. They've been trying to satisfy the diehard fans by releasing the "from the vaults" stuff.

What you are bringing up is to go a bit further through pay per view special concerts. The Fonda Theater Sticky Fingers concerts would have been a great opportunity for that kind of show.

Date: February 14, 2016 00:49

Rokyfan
That means if someone says they don't like a song and would rather hear something else, they are a "whiner." How stupid. Nobody thinks they know better, but I would imagine that most have a song or two they don't like and don't want to hear. So, everyone is a whiner, just some whine louder and bigger than most.

You just don't get it, do you? In a word - no.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Date: February 14, 2016 00:59

treaclefingers
Just to be clear, you are saying the guy that released "Let's Work" as his lead single off an album of similar classics is infallible and exercises good judgement all the time, and that we shouldn't question his/their judgement...football pants, jock strap and knee pads notwithstanding.

That's not what I am saying at all.

stonesstein

Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: February 14, 2016 01:06

I don't think it's bad at all that so many people here give us their opinion about the setlists.
You can see it as complaining, but we all know that the stones don't care about what we write here, so it's all about giving our opinions.
And for me those discussions are very interesting, although IMHO the stones do their setlists in a way which is perfect for stadium shows where the audience contains all kind of fans. We are just a bunch of hardcore fans who follow every concert online, so it's clear that it soon gets a little boring for us.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 14, 2016 01:09

The Stones know what is best for themselves, and act accordingly. On the other hand, they are very far away from being in touch with the opinions and wishes of their most loyal longtime fans.
And, YGMR is at best a second-rate song by any band's standards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-14 02:28 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 14, 2016 15:48

stonesstein
treaclefingers

That's not what I am saying at all.

well you're saying...the stones know better.

Not all the time they don't baby!

Date: February 14, 2016 19:57

During yesterday's concert in La Plata, Buenos Aires, Jumping Jack Flash was played for the 1115:th time live according to Setlist.fm. And a modern warhorse like "You Got me Rocking Now" was played for the 439:th time.
Who knows, maybe they will throw in "Tell Me" next time in Montevideo, Uruguay? Then it would be for the 10:th time since April 2, 1965 in Stockholm (Kungliga Tennishallen).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 14, 2016 20:12

Stoneage
During yesterday's concert in La Plata, Buenos Aires, Jumping Jack Flash was played for the 1115:th time live according to Setlist.fm. And a modern warhorse like "You Got me Rocking Now" was played for the 439:th time.
Who knows, maybe they will throw in "Tell Me" next time in Montevideo, Uruguay? Then it would be for the 10:th time since April 2, 1965 in Stockholm (Kungliga Tennishallen).

Stop dreaming, this is the Stones of 2016: 18 song setlists, 14 warhores and 3-4 surprises each night (if we can call YGMR, Beast Of Burden or Angie as surprises)

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: February 14, 2016 20:13

They need to mix it up.Stop playing scared

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: February 14, 2016 21:01

georgelicks
Stoneage

Stop dreaming, this is the Stones of 2016: 18 song setlists, 14 warhores and 3-4 surprises each night (if we can call YGMR, Beast Of Burden or Angie as surprises)

So now the Stones are down to 18 songs and charging good money for a pretty safe set-list. Yes, these are the Stones of 2016. I guess I should thank my lucky stars that I was fortunate enough to have been to a couple of great shows during the Licks tour when they more consistently mixed up the set-lists. Unfortunately, for guys who are now in their 70's, we can't expect them to break out and play varied set-lists for 2 1/2 hours. I suspect that in their minds, they are giving the best that they got-so given that reality-you either go to the concerts or stay home.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 14, 2016 23:42

Librarian
I am in research and the rule in research is that all data needs to be peer reviewed. Folks too close to a subject cannot give an unbiased opinion. Of course, fans are hardly unbiased, but they do provide a critical eye and ear.

But after 1000hrs or whatever the rule is, one becomes an expert at a topic, so the Stones can claim expertise in say playing a song, but I don't know if they can ever claim to know what fans want/need to hear.

10,000 hours... it just means you're most likely really good at what you do - with a lot of other factors, the ten thousand hours being the biggest heap of it.

The Stones certainly have the experience - but they have proved to do goofy and stupid things (absolute shit songs on otherwise good/decent albums; DIRTY WORK). No one is safe from mistakes and bad decisions.

Posted by: MichaelLassen ()
Date: February 15, 2016 08:44

Maybe a lot of it, if not all comes down to Mick being the one who feels the energy from the audience, and maybe even as he get's older feeds off of it.
And so he prefers energy from the audience over respect from hardcore fans.
And as much as I would like to go see exile played from start to end, I respect his choices.
I would suggest that he tried out joking in advance about it, when trying out let's say Silver Train, and go hey guys we need your energy in this one, we've got people in the internet bitching about only playing the songs most of you want to hear etc... ;-)

Why no Doom and Gloom on this tour of South America?
Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: February 18, 2016 04:12

While D and G is not my favorite Stones tune, I find it puzzling it has not yet appeared on the set lists. Maybe, this was not a popular song in South America. I have seen it played, on YouTube, in Europe to great enthusiasm. You would think the Stones would want to play at least one fairly recently released song on the tour.

Maybe it will show up later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-18 16:48 by bv.

Re: Wy no Doom and Gloom on this tour of South America?
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 18, 2016 04:19

No much room for it when you only play 18 songs and 14-15 are the same each night.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 18, 2016 04:31

They dropped it half way through the Zip Code tour

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 18, 2016 05:01

Because it's not that good?

Posted by: wicked67 ()
Date: February 18, 2016 16:15

It is a ridiculous song!I hope that does not sound more live.....

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2119
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home