Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28
Re: OT: Lady Gaga Grammy Bowie Tribute
Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 17, 2016 02:44

jrcjohnny99
TornAndFried
jrcjohnny99
roryfaninva
If you were going to get a female singer for this tribute wouldn't someone like..I dunno..Bjork been much closer to the spirit of Bowies music? Maybe Grace Jones if you wanted to go surreal....
Im sure Gaga was no worse than Taylor Swift or Gwen Stefani or Beyoncé or any other pop culture contemporary but ....

As a huge Bowie fan I can tell you I can't think of too many contemporary artists closer in spirit to Bowie than Gaga. Certainly far more than Bjork or Grace Jones.

I didn't love the tribute and thought it would have worked best as just 2-3 songs but I'd glad it was Gaga that got to do it.

How is Lady Gaga "close in spirit" to the artistry of David Bowie? I don't dislike her. I think she is quite talented and an interesting and eclectic performer but also a bit of a media whore. And she hasn't grown much as a recording artist in the last 5 years.

And you don't think Bowie was a media whore???

jrcjohnny99
TornAndFried
jrcjohnny99
roryfaninva
If you were going to get a female singer for this tribute wouldn't someone like..I dunno..Bjork been much closer to the spirit of Bowies music? Maybe Grace Jones if you wanted to go surreal....
Im sure Gaga was no worse than Taylor Swift or Gwen Stefani or Beyoncé or any other pop culture contemporary but ....

As a huge Bowie fan I can tell you I can't think of too many contemporary artists closer in spirit to Bowie than Gaga. Certainly far more than Bjork or Grace Jones.

I didn't love the tribute and thought it would have worked best as just 2-3 songs but I'd glad it was Gaga that got to do it.

How is Lady Gaga "close in spirit" to the artistry of David Bowie? I don't dislike her. I think she is quite talented and an interesting and eclectic performer but also a bit of a media whore. And she hasn't grown much as a recording artist in the last 5 years.

And you don't think Bowie was a media whore???

Not in the way Lady Gaga is. David Bowie knew the importance of creating a certain image or adopting a persona,and wasn't afraid to be unconventional or controversial but he didn't do often things simply for shock value or to generate media attention. His physical appearance and stage persona he inhabited was generally in line with the current musical style he was exploring. Granted, it was a different era and the technology was not there but regardless, Bowie was a pioneer and always seemed in control of his image. Gaga on the other hand sometimes comes off as desparate or as was the case last night, simply trying too hard.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 17, 2016 02:58

the DVR doesn't lie...Gaga was a little too much Angie, and not enough David last night...I still think she's great however.

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: February 17, 2016 04:29

As I´m not really being a person of reflections about artistical things I don´t appreciate that much:

(I´m no Lady Gaga hater!)

Watching the medley makes it very obvious for me, Ms. Gaga took the opportunity to set herself on the actual Bowie movement, of course it´s a shame we´re down to such a situation.....

Now we have kinda like young people who will soon learn about Bowie, and - -in the very first place! - to use it for themselves.

Not thinking about Ms. Gaga right now.
But maybe?

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: February 17, 2016 04:31

Not talking that way, I have to say:

It just sucks...and I don´t envy her...

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: February 17, 2016 05:41

The Grammy's , in general. sucked. Ga Ga, whom I liked as a guest in Newark (lots of fun, dancing in stands even after her guest spot was over) probably was the right choice as she clearly was influenced by Bowie. The performance (seems some parts were lip synced) was entertaining and certainly better than most every other acts that performed. The thing with Cooper and Depp was awful. Who is "Alabama Shakes"??? Awful. The BB KIng thing was good, but I was never overly impressed with Gary Clark Jr. when I saw him play live as a guest several times with the Stones.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 05:58

She is terrible, but good for a giggle...... That time she did 'Gimme Shelter' with The Stones, while dressed as a Zebra, was quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen on stage. It wasn't meant to be, which made it even more hilarious! How did Charlie keep a straight face?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-17 06:01 by strat72.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 17, 2016 10:31

She tried to do too much in too little time. Her segment was a horror show. Way too manic.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 17, 2016 14:21

strat72
That time she did 'Gimme Shelter' with The Stones, while dressed as a Zebra, was quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen on stage.
It wasn't meant to be, which made it even more hilarious! How did Charlie keep a straight face?

Why do you think it wasn't meant to be amusing? Why else would anyone appear as a sleek little highsteppin zebra??
Although amusement isn't necessarily the mood I expect to be nudged toward during Shelter
I quite enjoyed it. It was the first time I'd ever seen Lady GaGa and I was more than ready to despise her performance,
but there was no way to hate that. She was amusing.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: February 17, 2016 15:07

Utterly awful...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 17, 2016 16:44

Again, Bowie is one of my favs and I found this tribute to be shallow and disappointing. Not a fan of Gaga, so that didn't help the cause as well.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 17, 2016 17:04

My wife and I watched it. Half way through the horrible Gaga part she said "I'm glad David Bowie isn't alive to see this embarrassment".

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 17, 2016 18:09

MingSubu
Lol Henley looked like he wanted to fight someone.

That's pretty much his normal look.

Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: colonial ()
Date: March 13, 2016 00:43

I was recently reminded David Bowie was left handed from a photo of him writing..did he ever play left handed and if he did would anyone have a photo

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 13, 2016 01:11

strat72
She is terrible, but good for a giggle...... That time she did 'Gimme Shelter' with The Stones, while dressed as a Zebra, was quite possibly the funniest thing I've seen on stage. It wasn't meant to be, which made it even more hilarious! How did Charlie keep a straight face?

My thoughts as well.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 13, 2016 03:12

I just listened to Lorde's performance of "Life on Mars". I think Bowie would be pleased as he really liked her. + having David's last touring band back her up was a really stellar idea.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 13, 2016 17:37

roryfaninva
Cringe-worthy cruise ship karaoke cabaret....Bowie probably would have gotten a chuckle out of it....

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: March 13, 2016 22:05

My band, the Amazing Mongooses, joined forces a week ago with some other Atlanta musicians to form a one-off tribute, called DIAMOND DOGS: A Tribute to David Bowie

Our entire first set was the Ziggy Stardust album, recorded at the Tin Roof Cantina.

Enjoy!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 14, 2016 20:37

colonial
I was recently reminded David Bowie was left handed from a photo of him writing..did he ever play left handed and if he did would anyone have a photo

I've looked for some photo's of David Bowie playing left handed and the only one's out there are him playing left handed with the guitar upside down which aren't genuine photos

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 14, 2016 23:13

Mongoose
My band, the Amazing Mongooses, joined forces a week ago with some other Atlanta musicians to form a one-off tribute, called DIAMOND DOGS: A Tribute to David Bowie

Our entire first set was the Ziggy Stardust album, recorded at the Tin Roof Cantina.

Enjoy!

[www.youtube.com]

Great band Mongoose well played.......pity the voices are a bit far out of the mix

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 23, 2016 02:17

To Be Love: David Bowie’s Final Track

In the fall of 1970, a young musician from London arrived in Los Angeles to work on demo tapes for what he and his manager hoped would be a recording contract with a major label. It was David Bowie’s first trip to the United States. A few weeks after David Bowie’s death on January 10, 2016, sound engineer Ron de Strulle granted an exclusive interview on his work with Bowie. As recording engineer at Roxbury Road Studios in the Hollywood Hills, de Strulle and his partners Tom Ayers and Aynsley Dunbar were in contact with an executive at United Artists who asked if they could host “a new talent from across the pond who was beginning to make a big stir.” Impressed by the quality of recordings produced at RR Studios, United Artists promised Bowie’s manager that his client would have privacy, first class treatment, and 24/7 access to the studio. De Strulle’s song To Be Love was the first that Bowie recorded during that historic two-week trip. As the rights holder, Ron de Strulle is releasing To Be Love in loving memory of his friend David.

FULL STORY HERE: [www.huffingtonpost.com]

Today’s release of "To Be Love" marks an end and a beginning, a piece with both historic and musical value. Not only is it the first song David Bowie recorded in the U.S., it is also his final track.

[mindbodynetwork.com]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 23, 2016 03:10

Good for DB that he wrote better songs after this one... Wondering how many unheard tracks are sleeping in the vaults.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 23, 2016 09:02

kowalski
Good for DB that he wrote better songs after this one

He didn't write this one - Ron de Strulle did. But yeah.
Love & light to David Bowie, and thanks and praises

Date: March 28, 2016 03:01

colonial
colonial

I've looked for some photo's of David Bowie playing left handed and the only one's out there are him playing left handed with the guitar upside down which aren't genuine photos

There are some great photos in Geof MacCormack's book Station to Station with Bowie playing left handed. And strangely a picture of him wearhing a Theta Chi shirt! That is a US fraternity.

It is sad that Mick hadn't talked with David prior to his death. I think the two loved each other at one time, intellectually, physically, and as soulmates.

Date: March 30, 2016 05:33

whitem8
colonial
colonial

There are some great photos in Geof MacCormack's book Station to Station with Bowie playing left handed. And strangely a picture of him wearhing a Theta Chi shirt! That is a US fraternity.

whitem8
..I've looked at Geof MacCormack's photos on the net but there's just the one that I've seen before of David Bowie playing a right handed guitar upside down left handed I've always thought that photo wasn't genuine if ya know of any better photos of him playing LH with a LH guitar that would be good..cheers

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: March 31, 2016 21:43

Its genuine, if it is the same photo, him wearing a blue shirt with OX on it, playing a nice hollow body Gibson. Bowie's also wearing a cap. I am not home at the moment to take a photo and share, but I will later.

Date: April 1, 2016 03:15

whitem8
Its genuine, if it is the same photo, him wearing a blue shirt with OX on it, playing a nice hollow body Gibson. Bowie's also wearing a cap. I am not home at the moment to take a photo and share, but I will later.

whitem8..I haven't seen that photo..hey thanks for that looking forward to seeing it..cheers

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: April 1, 2016 03:55

Ok, I am home now and looked on page 182 of From Station to Station by Geoff MaCormack, and he is NOT playing left handed! I am wrong. I had it in my mind for some reason. But he is playing right handed. SORRY FOLKS, this is a good reminder to check my sources before posting!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 1, 2016 06:29

colonial

Ziggy played it left hand, but made it too far.

Date: April 2, 2016 01:14

whitem8
Ok, I am home now and looked on page 182 of From Station to Station by Geoff MaCormack, and he is NOT playing left handed! I am wrong. I had it in my mind for some reason. But he is playing right handed. SORRY FOLKS, this is a good reminder to check my sources before posting!

whitem8..I think a photo of David Bowie playing LH with a LH guitar is going to be hard to find

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: May 4, 2016 19:10

As if further proof were needed of the man's artistry........

[www.standard.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home