Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28
Re: R.I.P David Bowie
Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 13, 2016 02:00

Hairball

I bought the Alladin Sane 8-track when I was about 13 in '76.
Finally saw him live at the US Festival '83 (a 3 day festival) as grand finale headliner - the one and only time I saw him.
My friends and I had partied ferociously in our rented RV, and hardly slept the entire three nights, so any memory of his set is a bit of a blur...good times. thumbs up

I as at that show as well and got some great pictures, one of which I got autographed when the Reality tour hit Milwaukee on my birthday. Saw him twice in the Chicago area earlier thinking it may be the last chance to catch him onstage. Glad I did because my feelings were correct.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2016 02:23

mighty stork
Hairball

Finally saw him live at the US Festival '83 (a 3 day festival) as grand finale headliner - the one and only time I saw him.
My friends and I had partied ferociously in our rented RV, and hardly slept the entire three nights, so any memory of his set is a bit of a blur...good times. thumbs up

I as at that show as well and got some great pictures, one of which I got autographed when the Reality tour hit Milwaukee on my birthday. Saw him twice in the Chicago area earlier thinking it may be the last chance to catch him onstage. Glad I did because my feelings were correct.

Awesome - that was quite a festival. My friend took a bunch of pics also of many bands throughout the three days, and gave me a few copies I still have in storage which I'm in the midst of clearing out. I positively know I have pics of The Clash, a good chance of pics of U2 and possibly some Bowie pics. Will find out soon enough if there are any.

The Reality Tour was in 2003 (?) - what year were the Chicago area shows you last saw him?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 13, 2016 02:24

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: January 13, 2016 02:51

Hairball

I love that you have to estimate how old you were in 1976 (I know what you mean). I saw David once, at MSG for the Diamond Dogs show, memory is indeed a blur, handful of ludes and 300 level seats. Again on B'way in the Elephant Man. What an amazing talent. And now he is going to top the charts as never before. As has been pointed out, he turned his death into art. What an exit!

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 13, 2016 02:57

that was simply astounding-what a tribute by Mr.Wakeman.thanks for sharing that heartfelt piece.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: January 13, 2016 04:14

Extras. Just got this from a friend.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:17

Rokyfan
Hairball

I love that you have to estimate how old you were in 1976 (I know what you mean). I saw David once, at MSG for the Diamond Dogs show, memory is indeed a blur, handful of ludes and 300 level seats. Again on B'way in the Elephant Man. What an amazing talent. And now he is going to top the charts as never before. As has been pointed out, he turned his death into art. What an exit!

Hahaha. Well in all fairness, I could have been 12 - forget which month I purchased 8-track.
To confuse things more, I could have bought the 8-track either in '75 or '77 - but '76 sounded better. winking smiley

After reading dozens of tributes and watching hours of his videos, I'm still trying to absorb everything and come to terms with it.
But it's very clear that this man was a one-of-a-kind, amazing, original, and unique talent - there will never be another like him.
The amount of art that he brought to this world is mind-boggling, and the many 'changes' he made throughout his career is something that will be cherished and appreciated forever.
On the one one hand, his death is a devastating loss indeed. On the other hand, he came, he saw, and he conquered leaving a legacy that's up their with the best of the best.
And with that, I give huge thanks and praise to David Bowie for making the world a much more interesting place.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:35

Rokyfan
Hairball

Rokyfan: You saw him in Elephant Man? I'm in awe.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: January 13, 2016 06:23

angee
Rokyfan
Hairball

Rokyfan: You saw him in Elephant Man? I'm in awe.

He performed virtually without makeup or costume, portraying the gross deformity through body movement and voice alone, through sheer talent.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 13, 2016 06:24

Hairball
mighty stork
Hairball

Awesome - that was quite a festival. My friend took a bunch of pics also of many bands throughout the three days, and gave me a few copies I still have in storage which I'm in the midst of clearing out. I positively know I have pics of The Clash, a good chance of pics of U2 and possibly some Bowie pics. Will find out soon enough if there are any.

The Reality Tour was in 2003 (?) - what year were the Chicago area shows you last saw him?

Two of the three nights at Rosemont Theatre January 13 & 14 2004 (missed the 16th). 2nd from last row first night and 13th row floor the second night. Then saw him in Milwaukee Theatre on May 19,2004.

Date: January 13, 2016 06:26

Hairball

After reading dozens of tributes and watching hours of his videos, I'm still trying to absorb everything and come to terms with it.
But it's very clear that this man was a one-of-a-kind, amazing, original, and unique talent - there will never be another like him.
The amount of art that he brought to this world is mind-boggling, and the many 'changes' he made throughout his career is something that will be cherished and appreciated forever.
On the one one hand, his death is a devastating loss indeed. On the other hand, he came, he saw, and he conquered leaving a legacy that's up their with the best of the best.
And with that, I give huge thanks and praise to David Bowie for making the world a much more interesting place.

You sum it up well. It is so mf'íng sad, yet what an example on how to live a life, leaving such an impact on so many people.

Re: Stones Pay Tribute to Bowie - RIP
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 13, 2016 11:40

crholmstrom
ROLLINGSTONE
Not likely to happen but I'd plump for 'Rebel,Rebel'.

After reading Pete Townshend's tribute to Bowie, I could see the Who doing something like this. It may have been another alcohol fueled spout off but I'm pretty sure I've read Keith saying some not so complimentary things about Bowie awhile back.

I just saw a post from Keith saying nice things about Bowie from the last few days. Good on him. What I was talking about earlier must of been Mr. Daniels or Mr. Walker talking....

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:37

Love the Steve Marriot impression. smiling smiley

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 07:25 by Plink.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:55

As a fan of nearly 40 years, this is really bad news. I was digging the new album all weekend and then, boom, he's gone.

I saw him 10 times, starting with the 1978 US tour and ending with his last tour in 2004. Performances in between included The Elephant Man on Broadway in 1980 and Tin Machine at The Academy in New York in 1991, where Soupy Sales and Iman sat nearby. Even when he missed his Mark (Glass Spider anyone?), he was compelling. But when he nailed it, there were few more charismatic. He communicated more in a hand gesture than most do with their entire body.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: January 13, 2016 14:27

As a modeling authority in Zoolander

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 16:04 by The Joker.

Posted by: Medzvel ()
Date: January 13, 2016 16:52

Yesterday's Frontpages
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 13, 2016 17:40

Plink
I've read every post in this thread and I appreciate all the videos, photos and heartfelt posts. Knowing that there are so many people whose admiration for Bowie's talent and sadness at his passing echo my own is a source of comfort.

I saw this video for the first time last night (posted on Shidoobee by DearDoctor) and have watched it 15+ times. IMO, it is stunning and particularly moving in light of David’s passing. What a gorgeous song - I think this version is even better than David’s and Iggy’s recordings of it. Every aspect of the performance is perfection. David & Tina obviously had great affection for each other – their eye contact, facial expressions and wonderfully harmonious dance moves are a beautiful thing to see.

as much as the album it was off was maligned, I concur with your observation of this song, just gorgeous.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:01

Medzvel
Yesterday's Frontpages
[www.facebook.com]

Great, thanks for sharing! thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 13, 2016 18:11

Boognish
It makes me wonder, did Bowie end his own life?

I believe cancer ended his life, but that he decided when.

Love and light to him - serious light! - and thanks and praises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 18:15 by with sssoul.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:16

with sssoul
Boognish
It makes me wonder, did Bowie end his own life?

I believe cancer ended his life, but that he decided when.

That is so finely said, even it may be not true.

Date: January 13, 2016 18:20

David Bowie and Marianne Faithfull - sorry if posted yet -

So theatrical and stylish

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 13, 2016 18:29

Sorry, if posted already.

Mick Jagger and Sir Elton John set to honour 'visionary' David Bowie at BRIT Awards

THE Brit Awards is set to pay tribute to legendary musician David Bowie when the ceremony takes place next month.

By LAURA WITHERS

[www.express.co.uk]

Date: January 13, 2016 18:33

Sorry if it was posted before:

David Bowie Diamond Dogs/It's Only Rock'N'Roll

One of the rare occasions were Bowie incorporated a little of the chorus from The Rolling Stones 'It's Only Rock'N'Roll' into the Diamond Dogs chorus during the latter part of the tour. Performed at the Boston Music Hall, 14.11.1974

Date: January 13, 2016 18:39

DandelionPowderman

Mick Jagger and Sir Elton John set to honour 'visionary' David Bowie at BRIT Awards

THE Brit Awards is set to pay tribute to legendary musician David Bowie when the ceremony takes place next month.

By LAURA WITHERS

[www.express.co.uk]

The BRIT Awards is on 24th February, Mick is supposed to be in Sao Paolo that day....

Also, not impressed the way the Express says :

The likes of Mick Jagger, Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Elton John are said to be among the names invited to play in the tribute.

How about SIR Mick Jagger??!!

Date: January 13, 2016 18:43

Manofwealthandtaste
DandelionPowderman

By LAURA WITHERS

[www.express.co.uk]

The BRIT Awards is on 24th February, Mick is supposed to be in Sao Paolo that day....

The likes of Mick Jagger, Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Elton John are said to be among the names invited to play in the tribute.

Yeah, I know, but he could contribute via video link, or something?

Date: January 13, 2016 18:47

DandelionPowderman
Manofwealthandtaste
DandelionPowderman

By LAURA WITHERS

[www.express.co.uk]

Yeah, I know, but he could contribute via video link, or something?

Possibly, or just shoddy reporting by the Express!

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 18:54

Maybe he' ll appear by satellitegrinning smiley

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 13, 2016 19:18

dcba
Cristiano Radtke
"David was always an inspiration to me and a true original. He was wonderfully shameless in his work. We had so many good times together. He was my friend, I will never forget him."

[www.facebook.com]

Yup Bowie was Jagger's single most influence outside of his own bandmates. Bowie was also Keith's personal nigthmare : he was openly bisexual, he built an androgynous stage character and he chased musical trends and he made his own.

Triple "yuck" in Keith's (very hetero-centered) book.

the thing is-outside of his cult of fanboys,keith at this point is pretty much considered an azzhole.time after time you see pictures of him sharing a drink and a laugh with all these people then back stabbing them the first chance he gets.

it just wears thin.keith,that doesnt weigh more than 125 lbs and spent his entire career covered in eyeliner and scarves trying to be macho and show how tough he is.

bowie was fcking awesome,a true original.you wont see another one like him thats for sure.the boy was 1-oak.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 13, 2016 19:48

Manofwealthandtaste
DandelionPowderman

By LAURA WITHERS

[www.express.co.uk]

It would have been SIR David Bowie but he turned down an offer to be knighted in 2002 feeling it was an irrelevant honor. Plus, he hadn't lived in the UK for decades.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-13 19:49 by TornAndFried.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516...LastNext
Current Page: 11 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home