Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Undercover Of The Night (New)
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:30

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 4, 2016 23:06

I dont care for the song but it's ok if one compares to their 80s output.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 4, 2016 23:21

The political allusion in that song was so vague it was almost non-existent. Typically Sir Michael. "Highwire" on the other hand was more straightforward. A very much forgotten song though.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: January 4, 2016 23:39

Stoneage
The political allusion in that song was so vague it was almost non-existent. Typically Sir Michael. "Highwire" on the other hand was more straightforward. A very much forgotten song though.

Unfortunately. Highwire belongs to their greatest songs ever. I remember very well the immense excitement I felt when I first listened to it. What a great, great song! The guitars, the drums, the vocals - what a treat!

Date: January 4, 2016 23:48

HMS
This is what the lyric sheet of the original LP says:

cuddle up baby cuddle up tight
cuddle up baby keep it all out of sight
undercover undercover undercover of the night

cuddle up now honey sleep with all out of sight

And that's correct.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 5, 2016 00:00

HMS
Stoneage

Unfortunately. Highwire belongs to their greatest songs ever. I remember very well the immense excitement I felt when I first listened to it. What a great, great song! The guitars, the drums, the vocals - what a treat!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

I felt the same when I heard High Wire for the first time.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 00:02 by NICOS.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: January 5, 2016 00:22

NICOS
HMS
Stoneage

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

I felt the same when I heard High Wire for the first time.........

Highwire, one of the songs I have listened most to from Flashpoint. A good song with nice sound. thumbs up

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: January 5, 2016 00:33

I really like the song. I think it's a bit underrated.

Live - Too thin in 89. Ron and Keith were not into it at all. They should have done a rougher guitarversion. Like the treatment they gave Miss You in 1981/82.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: January 5, 2016 02:32

wicked track, always loved it. if this album had a popular ballad on it, it would be in a dogfight with some girls, exile, beggars, sticky fingers and let it bleed for best album. okay, maybe not, but it was an inventive album. the 12" singles were great, too.

sept. 13, 2002 at comiskey park, chicago they played a great version. slow & slinky.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 5, 2016 03:08

I played this tune (and entire album) endlessly when it came out - the first new stuff they put out since the first time I saw them in '81.
I see it now as somewhat of a 'last hurrah' or 'beginning of the end' as far as studio output, and it hasn't aged very well due to production gimmickry.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: January 5, 2016 05:04

Love it.
The last time they really went out on a wire and tried to update their sound with great succes.
It's got swagger too.

Date: January 5, 2016 11:32

Tops
I really like the song. I think it's a bit underrated.

Live - Too thin in 89. Ron and Keith were not into it at all. They should have done a rougher guitarversion. Like the treatment they gave Miss You in 1981/82.

That's not what I'm hearing. In fact there are more guitars on the live 1989 version than that of the studio version. Remember that the studio version isn't very guitar-driven, either.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 5, 2016 13:47

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Of course this song was impossible to play live. Even though they tried....

And succeeded, imo. This is an excellent live version.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, yeah, that version of Atlantic City, 1989 is suprisingly good!
I found this one isn't bad either:

[www.youtube.com]

Especially Ronnie and Mick are impressive, because this must be a very difficult song to do live.

Date: January 5, 2016 13:56

Keith is lost on the SAL-version grinning smiley

Date: January 5, 2016 14:22

DandelionPowderman

Well, Keith is not very good either on the 1989 version, I think.
This is clearly not a song for him.
In the SAL version, there are a few instants where he sort of hits the right mark, but whether that's on purpose or pure luck is hard to tell. But it manages to give it a bit of a rough edge.

Date: January 5, 2016 14:34

matxil
DandelionPowderman

Well, Keith is not very good either on the 1989 version, I think.
This is clearly not a song for him.

In the SAL version, there are a few instants where he sort of hits the right mark, but whether that's on purpose or pure luck is hard to tell. But it manages to give it a bit of a rough edge.

I can't agree with that. I thought Keith gave the song the funk that was missing on the Atlantic City Version. On SAL he is just posing, without playing even one appropriate lick.

Mick's open G-guitar (Atlantic City), however, had the wrong sound and lacked the punch of the studio version.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 14:57

HMS
Stoneage

I almost choked on my morning banana when I read this.

Date: January 5, 2016 15:10

Turner68
HMS
Stoneage

grinning smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:24

undercover of the night is a great song, and from a very good and underrated album. the album just wasnt radio freindly enough and too controversial. a nice ballad and possibly a straight forward single like highwire would have elevated undercover to some girls status.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:30

Turner68
HMS
Stoneage

that's what she said.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:32

with sssoul
I believe it's not "cuddle up, baby, keep all I say" -
I believe it's "curl up, baby, keep out of sight"

I'm also pretty sure he says 'curl up' at least a couple of times, although mostly cuddle up.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 5, 2016 22:42

HMS
This is what the lyric sheet of the original LP says:

cuddle up baby cuddle up tight
undercover undercover undercover of the night
cuddle up now honey sleep with all out of sight

Hm well that's creative! They do go all over the place with the official lyric sheets don't they :E

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: January 6, 2016 06:21

Redhotcarpet
I dont care for the song but it's ok if one compares to their 80s output.

That's how I see it.

The best thing I can say about it is that it's clear that Mick was putting forth some real effort on it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 6, 2016 08:56

They really had balls releasing this. It was SO different from anything before or since. It's just STONES music. And Mick knew it wouldn't be super popular, with it's political overtones (which were spot on to the current situation). It just roars out of the speakers and slashes and clicks. Too bad this monumental single got associated with perhaps the crappiest album of their career.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: January 6, 2016 09:28

Undercover Of The Night was Mick's Fingerprint File for the 80s. Both are a bit gimmicky but they work OK. These songs should be played back to back live.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 6, 2016 14:06

SAL version is beautifully sloppy! Great job by darryl Jones too!

Date: January 6, 2016 15:10

Here is a stupid question for you: Why does the Commander pronounce the word night as "nate" or "naeeeaaate"? Is that a common thing in England?

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: January 6, 2016 15:27

Definitely a highlight post Tattoo You!! Really a great song ….

Date: January 6, 2016 16:03

24FPS
They really had balls releasing this. It was SO different from anything before or since. It's just STONES music. And Mick knew it wouldn't be super popular, with it's political overtones (which were spot on to the current situation). It just roars out of the speakers and slashes and clicks. Too bad this monumental single got associated with perhaps the crappiest album of their career.

The "current situation" in 1983 was the Falklands War. Which Jagger didn't dare to touch. Of course....

Date: January 6, 2016 16:12

Stoneage
24FPS

The "current situation" in 1983 was the Falklands War. Which Jagger didn't dare to touch. Of course....

That war was over when they released it. The violence in South America was more of an on-going thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 16:16 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home