Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Undercover Of The Night (New)
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 6, 2016 16:20

Sure, Dandy. But it was the closest thing to a current political issue then.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2016 16:49

Stoneage

?! What was going on in South America at the time was plenty current for the people affected by it.
Mick's got broader horizons than some of us, and a good thing too.

Date: January 6, 2016 17:07

with sssoul
Stoneage

?! What was going on in South America at the time was plenty current for the people affected by it.

Bollocks. The big political issue in Great Britain back in 1982-83 was, of course, the Falklands War. If Jagger were to comment the general political situation in South America he should have done that in the seventies when the Chilean military coup was effected. Or the one in Argentina in 1976. He never did that. Apparently you don't know what you are talking about here.

Date: January 6, 2016 17:17

Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

Bollocks. The big political issue in Great Britain back in 1982-83 was, of course, the Falklands War. If Jagger were to comment the general political situation in South America he should have done that in the seventies when the Chilean military coup was effected. Or the one in Argentina in 1976. He never did that. Apparently you don't know what you are talking about here.

You are ignoring the fact that the violence in this region escalated rapidly round this time. It affected so many more people than that of the Falkland's War that a comparison should be unnecessary.

Talking about Chile and Argentina, here's some words from the author's mouth about that:

«It combines a number of different references to what was going down in Argentina and Chile. I think it's really good but it wasn't particularly successful at the time because songs that deal overtly with politics never are that successful, for some reason».

- Mick Jagger, 1993

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 6, 2016 17:25

Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

Bollocks. The big political issue in Great Britain back in 1982-83 was, of course, the Falklands War.

The world is bigger than just Great Britain, dear, and the Rolling Stones are aware of that.
You don't have to be, but when you go flinging clods of dirt around like that you just look oafish.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 6, 2016 17:41

At the "Madhouse", the Top-Discothek in Hamburg through the 80ies, we heard all the new stuff just arrived at the record companies and testet here if they will get reception on the dance floor.
When Undercover (and Too Much Blood) arrived at "Madhouse" DJ-desks 1 month before official release, they where dancefloor-packed-fillers right from the start.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 6, 2016 19:37

with sssoul
Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

Bollocks. The big political issue in Great Britain back in 1982-83 was, of course, the Falklands War.

The world is bigger than just Great Britain, dear....

#1) that is a great point
#2) and, either way, was there a requirement at the time that if you wrote about a political issue, that it had to be the 'top' political issue of the time?

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: January 6, 2016 19:52

Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

I think you are reasoning too much from an English viewpoint. I don't think people outside of England cared much about that war, apart from thinking it was a stupid and ugly thing to do. Of course, you could reason that Jagger is English too, but then again, he's also rather international, isn't he? Even though he wasn't with Bianca anymore at this time (I think), he still might feel some interest in the Latin world (as with Indian Girl, for instance). And anyway, he claims it was based on a book by Burroughs, in which Latin American cities play a large role. In any case, the lyrics in Undercover don't seem to have anything to do with the Falkland's war.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 19:52 by matxil.

Date: January 6, 2016 20:40

Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

Sorry about the language. You're right about that, With soul. Initially I was commenting on 24FPS' post who said that Jagger was "spot on on the current situation". He wasn't. The current situation back then was the Falklands war, nothing else. In fact he wrote a political song with no political content. Vague as ever. He even got a question about it then and couldn't point out which political situation he was talking about. Because there wasn't any. The lyrics, probably, refers to some book that he has read. Nothing else.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 7, 2016 00:13

Wild Slivovitz
SAL version is beautifully sloppy! Great job by darryl Jones too!

Dude, you made me pull out the DVD to see if I missed something. That was sad.

Date: January 7, 2016 00:14

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
24FPS
They really had balls releasing this. It was SO different from anything before or since. It's just STONES music. And Mick knew it wouldn't be super popular, with it's political overtones (which were spot on to the current situation). It just roars out of the speakers and slashes and clicks. Too bad this monumental single got associated with perhaps the crappiest album of their career.

The "current situation" in 1983 was the Falklands War. Which Jagger didn't dare to touch. Of course....

That war was over when they released it. The violence in South America was more of an on-going thing.

That's what I was referring to. The Falklands was some joke kerfuffle.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 7, 2016 01:00

The Falklands war had a huge impact on other Southamerican regiimes. The war affected European inner relations and was a possible start of a wider conflict. Had Mick written a song about this he'd risk his career. Hence the bland Miami vice dance pop.

Date: January 7, 2016 01:22

Glad to know I'm not the only one who can put one and one together here, Redhotcarpet!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 7, 2016 02:42

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

You are ignoring the fact that the violence in this region escalated rapidly round this time. It affected so many more people than that of the Falkland's War that a comparison should be unnecessary.

Talking about Chile and Argentina, here's some words from the author's mouth about that:

«It combines a number of different references to what was going down in Argentina and Chile. I think it's really good but it wasn't particularly successful at the time because songs that deal overtly with politics never are that successful, for some reason».

- Mick Jagger, 1993

having listened closely to the song and paid attention to what was going on at the time, there is no question in my mind that the song is broadly about what was going on in south and central america (you can include nicaragua and el savador too which were both raging throughout most of the 80s)

Date: January 7, 2016 08:46

'Bland Miami Pop' my ass. This wasn't no 'Heat Is On' by Glenn Frey.

Date: January 7, 2016 08:48

Redhotcarpet
The Falklands war had a huge impact on other Southamerican regiimes. The war affected European inner relations and was a possible start of a wider conflict. Had Mick written a song about this he'd risk his career. Hence the bland Miami vice dance pop.

Well, The Kinks and Pink Floyd did write songs about it...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 7, 2016 09:15

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

...and Dylan already 1965 when he didn't want to work at Maggie's Farm...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 7, 2016 09:51

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

...and Dylan already 1965 when he didn't want to work at Maggie's Farm...

I thought she laid the farmers off..

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 7, 2016 10:17

Stoneage
with sssoul
Stoneage

Both Jagger, Richards and Wood had houses in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico at the time. Richards even married there. Jagger was frequently travelling Latin America as well in those days. So his reference in 1982 certainly wasn't Stoke-on-Trent.

Mathijs

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 7, 2016 10:33

Nah, this is starting to resemble too much politic...if we would talk about just the music to this song, I think it's pretty boring ...Too much blood as the Glimmer would have put it...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 7, 2016 22:54

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage
Of course this song was impossible to play live. Even though they tried....

And succeeded, imo. This is an excellent live version.

[www.youtube.com]

Ehhhhh. Nah. It is better than the other one though that was in that movie or on that 2008 live album that's so bad.

Undercover Of The Night is a fantastic studio song.

Undercover Of The Night is a horrible live song.

Date: January 7, 2016 22:56

matxil
The last time they did something really new and it still worked. (Unless you count One Hit.)

One Hit is not counted. That's one of the most watered down Stones releases ever.

Date: January 7, 2016 22:57

Stoneage
35love
I only like the song live. It sounds decidedly different to me live. Real, uncomputerized, raw, funk, jam, great for me while I'm cruising (exercise) outside.
Do not like recorded track.
Give it to me live!

If you're a fan of pre-recorded percussion, drum-loops and click-tracks this is the one for you. Basically, they play over a pre-recorded track.

It's not pre-recorded; it's sampling. That's all samples - of the individual tracks from the recording of the recording.

Date: January 7, 2016 23:00

Turner68
HMS
Stoneage
The political allusion in that song was so vague it was almost non-existent. Typically Sir Michael. "Highwire" on the other hand was more straightforward. A very much forgotten song though.

Unfortunately. Highwire belongs to their greatest songs ever. I remember very well the immense excitement I felt when I first listened to it. What a great, great song! The guitars, the drums, the vocals - what a treat!

I almost choked on my morning banana when I read this.

Amazing, innit, that a STEEL WHEELS by-the-numbers leftover gets such praise.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 23:06

I almost choked on my morning banana when I read this

..... that must be a massive strain on your back muscles so early in the day

ROCKMAN

Date: January 7, 2016 23:25

I didn't dare saying that, Rockee grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 23:35

.....it's a dirty job Dandeee but someone's gotta do it .....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 8, 2016 00:18

DandelionPowderman
Redhotcarpet

And thank God Mick didnt go down that road. Undercover is the Stones. But, I dont care for the lyrics or the stupid video. Either you go political or you dont. Or you at least take politics and turn an issue into art. Gimme shelter is a great example. It's not about a war but the feeling you're own your own in some private hell, or possibly a war maybe a personal war with a friend, looking for shelter, be it heroin, a woman or a man, or a guitar. Shelter is not - like Undercover - trying to paint a vague picture of one of the many ongoing 70s/80s conflicts within a South American country. (conflicts that the outcome of the Falkland wars actually affected deeply)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-08 00:19 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: January 8, 2016 00:20

Stoneage
Glad to know I'm not the only one who can put one and one together here, Redhotcarpet!
thumbs up

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 07:55

I read CITIES OF THE RED NIGHT and it is a very very surreal novel, and Mick definitely was influenced by the title and the book’s debauchery and violence, but the song's actual subject matter Mick took more from news stories than the novel. The disparus in the song are not in the book and Panama is the Latin American country that most features in the book. Argentina and Chile are not in the book at all. CITIES OF THE RED NIGHT was the first book of a trilogy, so I wonder if Mick read the next two volumes. (I didn’t. CITIES was interesting but not exactly my cup of tea.)

The documentary below is about the disparus Mick sings about:

Directed by Peter Sanders

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home