Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Hyde Park 1969 Opener
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: December 31, 2015 20:17

I'm Your She's Mine is the opening song on the set list. Why? I know its a Johnny Winter song, and his version is pretty good, but really? The Stones are playing first (real) show since 1967 and they open with that?

One side of me is saying very cool, in fact i wish they had mixed up the set lists back then etc etc; but the Stones are not that kind of band. i just think its a bit odd that they opened up with it.

Imagine the crowd reaction . . . first they must sit silent during Jagger's reading of Shelly's poem, then hit with a non stones cover.

Does anyone know the story behind it, whether there was discussion about it among the Stones?

Re: Hyde Park 1969 Opener
Posted by: txussilvestre ()
Date: December 31, 2015 21:48

I think the reason was that song being kind of a Brian's favourite, or something like that.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 1, 2016 16:44

Great song but within 30 seconds it sounded awful.
Keith appeared to be more out of it than usual that afternoon.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 1, 2016 17:45

My take is that anything is better then opening with warhorse..........

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: January 1, 2016 18:38

NICOS
My take is that anything is better then opening with warhorse..........

Not Fade Away on the Voodoo Lounge tour a different choice

Posted by: gallagher ()
Date: January 1, 2016 19:33

I've read somewhere (don't know the source, probably one of the Stones books I own) that it was a song Brian really liked.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 1, 2016 21:51

gallagher
I've read somewhere (don't know the source, probably one of the Stones books I own) that it was a song Brian really liked.

Yes I have read the same but not sure where.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 1, 2016 22:04

It was a different time too. You weren't expected to come out blaring your newest hit single. And it was a solemn occasion. At any rate it was probably a well meaning decision to commemorate Brian.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 4, 2016 16:39

Audiences were more tolerant then; could you imagine a Stones concert today where they Play 'Prodigal son' and 'You gotta move' on acoustic guitars (or some Single- B-sides), and the audience would listen?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:51

Moonshine
Great song but within 30 seconds it sounded awful.
Keith appeared to be more out of it than usual that afternoon.

Well...there one tie friend died a few days before and what was supposed to be a "welcome to the band" show for Mick T became a memorial service (complete with dead butterflies!) for Brian.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 4, 2016 22:58

saltoftheearth
Audiences were more tolerant then; could you imagine a Stones concert today where they Play 'Prodigal son' and 'You gotta move' on acoustic guitars (or some Single- B-sides), and the audience would listen?

I can't imagine that and neither can they i'm afraid.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: January 5, 2016 05:26

Hey, for a long time we had all these setlist-complaints on this board (too many warhorses, unimaginative setlists, too few nuggets & deep cuts and so on), but this thread is...different...

Date: January 5, 2016 11:08

If they can do You Gotta Move, As Tears Go By and Lady Jane today they certainly could to Prodigal Son smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 5, 2016 19:19

I love that raggedly-right Hyde Park opener,
and you bet people will listen when they play an acoustic mini-set.
You folks who think they wouldn't need more spinach, fresh air and sun on your glands :E

Posted by: django ()
Date: January 5, 2016 21:28

A little bit OT: I listened to the King Crimson Hyde Park concert as opening act for the Stones recently and it is pretty amazing. It's part of the In The Court of The Crimson King Deluxe Box set. This box made me a fan of the band.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: January 6, 2016 00:40

Love this concert and the atmosphere

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 6, 2016 10:14

django
A little bit OT: I listened to the King Crimson Hyde Park concert as opening act for the Stones recently and it is pretty amazing. It's part of the In The Court of The Crimson King Deluxe Box set. This box made me a fan of the band.

I remember King Crimson playing that afternoon and they really were amazing--I was never much of a fan of their studio stuff, but I saw them live at various festivals and they were always fantastic. They were really a good choice given the vibe at Hyde Park that day. (And it's really true, I think, that we didn't have any cast-iron expectations back then of what the band were supposed to play and when. I don't remember being surprised by I'm Yours She's Mine at all, I was just going with the flow. It sounded pretty good to me at the time, too!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home