Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Bonnie Raitt's new album out on Feb 26
Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 25, 2015 11:32

On February 26, 2016, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer Bonnie Raitt will release 'Dig In Deep', her twentieth album, on Redwing Records, her own, independent label. The record follows Bonnie's hugely successful 2012 release 'Slipstream', which was one of the best-selling independent albums of 2012 and earned Bonnie a GRAMMY for Best Americana Album — her tenth career GRAMMY win.
"The response to 'Slipstream' was such a refreshing and unexpected boost," says Raitt. "So going into this album, I had renewed energy."
The pre-order for 'Dig In Deep', which will be distributed globally by ADA, begins on November 6. Raitt, who is now being booked worldwide by CAA, will shortly announce tour dates for 2016; pre-sales for those shows will start on November 10, with public on-sales to follow on November 13.
Feeling that her recent, two-year-long tour was one of her best ever, Raitt was eager to get her touring band back in the studio. She again produced the album herself (other than one track taken from her 2010 sessions with Joe Henry), and brought Ryan Freeland back as the project's engineer. Notably, Raitt has writing credits on five of the album's songs, the most original compositions she has contributed to a record since 1998's 'Fundamental'.
"I was really inspired to come up with some songs that went with grooves that I missed playing in my live show, and to dig deeper into some topics I hadn't yet mined,' she said. "I don't write easily and can get distracted, but remembering how satisfying it was to come up with something new of my own, and writing with guys I love—like my longtime bandmates George Marinelli and Jon Cleary—I found that once the wheels started turning, the music came pouring out."
Debuting in the Top Ten, 'Slipstream' marked not only Raitt's first release on her own label, but her biggest chart success in two decades. The album was praised as "gripping" (New York Times), "masterful" (Hollywood Reporter) and "emotionally searing" (Variety). Simply put, it was embraced as "one of the best of her 40-year career" (American Songwriter).
Now, with 'Dig In Deep', Raitt returns with her characteristic, incomparable blend of blues, rock, R&B, and pop, and a healthy dose of the signature slide work from the woman Rolling Stone named one of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time." "I'm feeling pretty charged, and the band and I are at the top of our game," says Bonnie Raitt. "I think all these years together pay off, and the best part is that we know how lucky we are to still get to make our livings doing something we love this much."
[www.bonnieraitt.com]

Re: OT - Bonnie Raitt's new album out on Feb 26
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 25, 2015 11:43

Hi Pepganzo,

Lotta love for Bonnie and her fantastic band over here! Looking forward to getting this album- I really hope that she comes over to the UK for few shows...up there with the finest!

Cheers,

Simon.

Date: October 25, 2015 11:49

SimonN
Hi Pepganzo,

Lotta love for Bonnie and her fantastic band over here! Looking forward to getting this album- I really hope that she comes over to the UK for few shows...up there with the finest!

Cheers,

Simon.

thumbs up
She did great albums since Silver Lining. Love her 'old school' approach. She is a great singer and guitar player (very bluesy, more than other famous guitarists). I love her sound because has got something of Lowell George, and for me is enough.

Ps:
Lowell ghost is here.
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-25 11:53 by pepganzo.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 25, 2015 18:43

Thanks for this post pepganzo. Love Bonnie and like you think her slide playing has a bit of Lowell in it. She often still mentions Lowell and how much she still misses him in her shows before breaking into a heartfelt tune like River of Tears. She certainly gets some awesome tone out of that natural finish strat she has been playing since her early days. She once gave me one of her slides, a green bottleneck, I don't use it mostly because it doesn't fit very well but I cherish it none the less.

Looking forward to hearing her new record. Hope it is slide heavy!

I know you are into boots and wonder if you have heard any of the solo shows she did back in 1988 with Johnny Lee Shell. Just her and Johnny with an occasional local bass player sitting in. They are sublime. The stripped down format with just two guitars and killer harmony vocals was amazing, her slide guitar up front and plenty on it. Just wow.

Date: October 25, 2015 19:02

Hello my friend. I dont know what she did with Johnny Lee Shell. I will download something soon. Thanks as always Tod. Have a nice day.

Date: October 26, 2015 10:13

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 26, 2015 17:46

cant wait to see her live again .

Date: October 28, 2015 18:36

On [www.bonnieraitt.com] if you are a member of her site you can listen to part of 'Gypsy in me' from her new album. It really rocks, her band is brilliant as always.

She once gave me one of her slides, a green bottleneck

This is fantastic! smileys with beer
She uses a particular bottleneck,it looks like Duane Allman's one, really?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 18:54 by pepganzo.

Date: October 28, 2015 18:48

Date: October 28, 2015 19:01

pepganzo
On [www.bonnieraitt.com] if you are a member of her site you can listen to part of 'Gypsy in me' from her new album. It really rocks, her band is brilliant as always.

She uses a particular bottleneck,it looks like D Allman's one, really?

The one she gave me one night after a show in Trancas Canyon north of LA is a thick green glass bottleneck type, cut from a wine bottle. It has a curve radius to it, probably even a bit more than the typical radius of a fretboard. Unlike Duanes slide which was the straight, thinner, clear glass on the Coricidin bottle from all accounts, as you probably well know. Not sure what she uses these days but I assure you she used that green bottleneck that night at Trancas. I tend to use a thick brass, radius'ed slide mostly these days, found one that fits perfectly although I've been known to use a beer bottle, wine glass or anything handy in a pinch. lol

Date: October 28, 2015 19:10

Naturalust
pepganzo

She uses a particular bottleneck,it looks like D Allman's one, really?

The one she gave me one night after a show in Trancas Canyon north of LA is a thick green glass bottleneck type, cut from a wine bottle. It has a curve radius to it, probably even a bit more than the typical radius of a fretboard. Unlike Duanes slide which was the straight, thinner, clear glass on the Coricidin bottle from all accounts, as you probably well know. Not sure what she uses these days but I assure you she used that green bottleneck that night at Trancas. I tend to use a thick brass, radius'ed slide mostly these days, found one that fits perfectly although I've been known to use a beer bottle, wine glass or anything handy in a pinch. lol

thumbs up
Your informations are always precious my friend. I hope you like the new track.
As I said it has got something of Little Feat.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 19:13 by pepganzo.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 28, 2015 20:51

For Naturalust & pepganzo if you haven't heard this before. I found it last spring and have been enjoying it ever since. LOT'S of between song conversation that is much fun to listen to!

[www.youtube.com]

It's also available for purchase at amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 28, 2015 21:12

Yes, much thanks Mr. DJA, although I must admit I am intimately familiar with that particular stuff being a such a huge Lowell George and Bonnie Raitt fan and I suspect pepganzo is too. Your taste in music is commendable. thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2015 21:40

mr_dja
For Naturalust & pepganzo if you haven't heard this before. I found it last spring and have been enjoying it ever since. LOT'S of between song conversation that is much fun to listen to!

[www.youtube.com]

It's also available for purchase at amazon:
[www.amazon.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

eye popping smiley Many thanks Mr DJA

Date: October 28, 2015 21:46

Naturalust
Yes, much thanks Mr. DJA, although I must admit I am intimately familiar with that particular stuff being a such a huge Lowell George and Bonnie Raitt fan and I suspect pepganzo is too. Your taste in music is commendable. thumbs up

I kinda figured there was a good chance it might be familiar to y'all! I still can't claim to be intimately familiar with it, but I does get regular spins in my car. What's funny is that I think I came across it while looking for John Hammond stuff. When I saw those three names together, I knew I had hit the jackpot before I even started listening!

As far as bootlegs and "you-tube resources" I'm still a novice. Much of what is common in "collectors circles" is sometimes very new to me. Part of me is embarrassed to admit how recently it was that I first heard "Brussels Affair". We'll just say it was before the official release but not by a whole lot!

Some of my favorite posts on this board are inside the "What Are You Listening To Right Now" thread because of the stuff that IORRians expose me to. I may not like it all, but at least it gets me something new to hear!

On a side note: You mentioned that Bonnie gave you one of her slides... Although she didn't give it to me personally, I managed to get one of he finger-picks after a show back in 1988. Every time I come across it, it amazes me to think of how small her fingers are!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 28, 2015 21:47

pepganzo

eye popping smiley Many thanks Mr DJA

You're welcome! If you haven't heard it before, I hope you enjoy it as much as Naturalust and I do!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: October 28, 2015 22:09

Cool DJA! I can attest to the small fingers since I can barely fit her slide on my little finger.

I was lucky enough to witness some of the sessions of her recording Nick of Time and Luck of The Draw. One of my interesting memories is seeing her actually break down and shed a tear while recording one of the vocal lines and hurriedly get it together to finish the take. She did a couple more takes but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that little breakdown was intimately captured on the take they used on the release! I can't remember off the top of my head which song it was, one of the heartfelt, scorned in love ballads, she was obviously singing from the heart man!

Anyway one of my all time favorite Bonnie Raitt recordings is this one from that Nick of Time record, Nobody's girl. Obviously some open G guitar in there and besides the killer sounding slide, the words to this one get me every time. Just an amazing tune and performance.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 29, 2015 11:21

mr_dja

[www.youtube.com]

Peace,
Mr DJA

In this concert they played some fantastic covers. And it is the first album of Bonnie that I listened to some years ago, seven maybe. In my opinion here you can listen to the best version of 'A Apolitical Blues': deconstructed, slow, crazy, very close to Captain Beefheart's approach (the most influential figure of George, more than Zappa or the Stones). Listen to the armonica here! There is also a brilliant version of 'Cant find my way home' of Steve Winwood (written for Blind Faith first and only album) with a great slide of Lowell George.

Yes, it's a fantastic bootleg with a great atmosphere.
For some aspects I prefer some live versions to the studio of 'Love has no pride' or 'Love like a man'.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 11:26 by pepganzo.

Date: October 29, 2015 15:15

pepganzo

In this concert they played some fantastic covers. And it is the first album of Bonnie that I listened to some years ago, seven maybe. In my opinion here you can listen to the best version of 'A Apolitical Blues': deconstructed, slow, crazy, very close to Captain Beefheart's approach (the most influential figure of George, more than Zappa or the Stones). Listen to the armonica here! There is also a brilliant version of 'Cant find my way home' of Steve Winwood (written for Blind Faith first and only album) with a great slide of Lowell George.

Yes, it's a fantastic bootleg with a great atmosphere.
For some aspects I prefer some live versions to the studio of 'Love has no pride' or 'Love like a man'.

Your ears must resemble mine! So many of your points resemble points I would have made. Most importantly "the atmosphere" of this recording is what really got me. Although it was over 40 years ago, being able to listen to the banter of the musicians between the songs, somehow managed to enhance the actual performances. I can't remember where it was exactly but, when BR scolds LG over what I believe was yet another "left-handed cigarette" I just had to laugh. Clearly they were friends having fun with each other while playing music. The audience was lucky that the mics were on and the tape was rolling. I think I need to go listen to "Can't Find My Way Home"... It's been a while and I do love this version!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: December 27, 2015 15:26

PRE-ORDER DIG IN DEEP!

Pre-order DIG IN DEEP at Bonnie's Store, iTunes and Amazon!

Track list:
1. Unintended Consequence Of Love
2. Need You Tonight
3. I Knew
4. All Alone With Something To Say
5. What You’re Doin’ To Me
6. Shakin’ Shakin’ Shakes
7. Undone
8. If You Need Somebody
9. Gypsy In Me
10. The Comin’ Round Is Going Through
11. You’ve Changed My Mind
12. The Ones We Couldn’t Be

[www.bonnieraitt.com]

It will be a fantastic album!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 27, 2015 18:00

Clutching my ticket for her Toronto gig mid-March. Have wanted to see her for so long... smiling smiley

Date: January 6, 2016 21:18

[www.youtube.com]

Here the complete version of Gypsy in me.
Fantastic track

Have a nice day forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 21:18 by pepganzo.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 6, 2016 21:53

SOunds great! CLassic Bonnie!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1447
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home