Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: OT: RIP Lemmy
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 5, 2016 16:37

dcba
Big Al

There seems to be more of a passion in some European nations, compared to the States, definitely. The late Ronnie James Dio once briefly discussed the current lack of mainstream interest in heavy rock and metal in the States, in comparison to the love and dedication for the genres still largely felt across some of Europe and the South American region. Here in the United Kingdom, it's getting towards how it is stateside. There just isn't the general interest that there may have been 20-30 years ago.

My guess is in the US it's not considered "hip" while in Europe this kind of raw unfiltered music (and lifestyle) is still appealing cos it goes against the grain.
In other words you might consider Motorhead's music as an antidote to "The X Factor" or "Pop Idols" and their overnight "stars".
There is still a HUGE hard rock/metal contingent in the U.S. Don't fall for the generalizations and hype.

Every time I saw Motorhead in the States, there were several thousand people in attendance. A band like Iron Maiden can easily sell out Madison Square Garden.

The scene is definitely bigger and more robust in Europe, but it's an exaggeration to say that it's dead in the States.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 5, 2016 17:43

keefriff99
dcba
Big Al

There seems to be more of a passion in some European nations, compared to the States, definitely. The late Ronnie James Dio once briefly discussed the current lack of mainstream interest in heavy rock and metal in the States, in comparison to the love and dedication for the genres still largely felt across some of Europe and the South American region. Here in the United Kingdom, it's getting towards how it is stateside. There just isn't the general interest that there may have been 20-30 years ago.

My guess is in the US it's not considered "hip" while in Europe this kind of raw unfiltered music (and lifestyle) is still appealing cos it goes against the grain.
In other words you might consider Motorhead's music as an antidote to "The X Factor" or "Pop Idols" and their overnight "stars".
There is still a HUGE hard rock/metal contingent in the U.S. Don't fall for the generalizations and hype.

Every time I saw Motorhead in the States, there were several thousand people in attendance. A band like Iron Maiden can easily sell out Madison Square Garden.

The scene is definitely bigger and more robust in Europe, but it's an exaggeration to say that it's dead in the States.

Agreed for the most part keefriff99, although I wouldn't call it HUGE -it's been dwindling for years. Motorhead for example have played very small venues the last couple of tours - at least here on the west coast. As Big Al stated regarding the U.K.: "There just isn't the general interest that there may have been 20-30 years ago" which is also very true here in the states. Instead of a countercultural movement, it's become sort of a side show. There's not one radio station in Southern California (that I'm aware of) that plays metal aside from the occasional Black Sabbath tune on classic rock stations. It may be somewhat alive, but it's barely kicking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 17:46 by Hairball.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 5, 2016 20:12

Saw him 6 months ago, in july, at the Exit festival in my hometown. He was quite frail, here's a pro-shot AoS:

[www.youtube.com]

The only other time I saw him was in 2002, nasty gig (the bottle incident):

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 5, 2016 20:51

The memorial service for Lemmy will be streamed live on YouTube on January 9.
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-05 20:52 by Deltics.

Date: January 6, 2016 20:55

Just in case this gets swallowed by the other thread:

Lemmy rarely had complimentary things to say about the Stones...he was a Beatles fanatic through and through and always ranked the Stones a notch below them. Not that he DISLIKED the Stones, but he was never effusive in his praise of them and always rather tepid.

Being a big fan of both the Stones and Motorhead, I was always on the lookout for any connection between the two groups, but Lemmy usually had little good to say about them...and being an anti-heroin fanatic, Lemmy made a comment a few years ago to the effect of: "Look at Keith...he really chose the wrong drug. He looks like he's been dead for 20 years."

As crushed as I am by Lemmy's death, you do have to chuckle at that...another tough old bastard that Keith managed to outlast.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: January 6, 2016 21:10

Yup.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 6, 2016 21:15

Lemmy and Ozzy are Beatle fanatics. That's just the way it is. It is not legally mandated to say "effusive" things about the Stones. Did the Stones ever praise heavy metal/hard rock?

As for predeceasing Keith, does it matter? What did Neil Young say? It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Date: January 6, 2016 21:22

DeanGoodman
Lemmy and Ozzy are Beatle fanatics. That's just the way it is. It is not legally mandated to say "effusive" things about the Stones. Did the Stones ever praise heavy metal/hard rock?

As for predeceasing Keith, does it matter? What did Neil Young say? It's better to burn out than to fade away.
Someone else asked for any connection between the Stones and Motorhead, so I gave some. I never criticized Lemmy's opinons on the Stones...I simply stated what they were.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 6, 2016 22:28

Nice tribute by Steve Vai :
[www.guitarplayer.com]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 6, 2016 22:39

keefriff99
Just in case this gets swallowed by the other thread:

Lemmy rarely had complimentary things to say about the Stones...he was a Beatles fanatic through and through and always ranked the Stones a notch below them. Not that he DISLIKED the Stones, but he was never effusive in his praise of them and always rather tepid.

Being a big fan of both the Stones and Motorhead, I was always on the lookout for any connection between the two groups, but Lemmy usually had little good to say about them...and being an anti-heroin fanatic, Lemmy made a comment a few years ago to the effect of: "Look at Keith...he really chose the wrong drug. He looks like he's been dead for 20 years."

As crushed as I am by Lemmy's death, you do have to chuckle at that...another tough old bastard that Keith managed to outlast.

Last song on the last Motorhead album was a cover of Sympathy for the Devil.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 03:56

Just going over the notes from my interview with him in 2005. We did not discuss the Beatles or Stones, but he got quite animated about the Kinks killing their career with The Village Green Preservation Society. He didn't really care for Sabbath or Deep Purple, or Judas Priest, because he preferred rock 'n' roll. Motorhead, he said, btw, were biggest in Germany and then in the UK where they had enjoyed a resurgence. I compiled some random tidbits on my site: [www.deangoodman.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 7, 2016 04:19

DeanGoodman
Just going over the notes from my interview with him in 2005. We did not discuss the Beatles or Stones, but he got quite animated about the Kinks killing their career with The Village Green Preservation Society. He didn't really care for Sabbath or Deep Purple, or Judas Priest, because he preferred rock 'n' roll. Motorhead, he said, btw, were biggest in Germany and then in the UK where they had enjoyed a resurgence. I compiled some random tidbits on my site: [www.deangoodman.com]

Nice interview, thanks for sharing. thumbs up

I've never been a Motorhead fan, far from that, but my admiration for him and the band started to grow up everytime I've read some of his interviews, and especially after watching his documentary.

Date: January 7, 2016 06:18

A bit of trivia I was recently reminded of:

Lemmy co-wrote several songs for Ozzy's No More Tears album - including Mama I'm Coming Home which was Ozzy's only top 40 single.
Even though I don't like metal type power ballads, I always liked that song w/great guitar from Zakk Wylde...

Date: January 7, 2016 15:02

Hairball
A bit of trivia I was recently reminded of:

Lemmy co-wrote several songs for Ozzy's No More Tears album - including Mama I'm Coming Home which was Ozzy's only top 40 single.
Even though I don't like metal type power ballads, I always liked that song w/great guitar from Zakk Wylde...
He also claimed he made more money off the four songs that he co-wrote with Ozzy than he made in the entirety of his Motorhead career up that point.

A sad commentary on the music business...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 7, 2016 16:55

keefriff99

He also claimed he made more money off the four songs that he co-wrote with Ozzy

... and the check he got when Metallica covered four of his songs.

Date: January 7, 2016 17:40

Date: January 7, 2016 17:42

An early band Lemmy was in - The Rockin' Vickers - here covering the Kinks 1966.
Lemmy on guitar:

The Rockin' Vickers - Dandy

I read somewhere late last night that Ace of Spades is actually climbing up the Billboard charts ...maybe hard rock category?
I don;t think it ever made it anywhere on the charts previously - will try and find the info.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 7, 2016 17:44

DeanGoodman

Thanks for posting

Date: January 7, 2016 18:00

Cristiano Radtke

[sites.google.com]

Motorhead's Signature Song 'Ace of Spades' Makes Billboard Chart Debut

Ace of Spades

Date: January 7, 2016 18:12

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

[sites.google.com]

Motorhead's Signature Song 'Ace of Spades' Makes Billboard Chart Debut

Ace of Spades

Thanks, Hairball. thumbs up

Absolute Radio did a nice tribute to him, playing some of his best and known songs and some of his influences: [www.mixcloud.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 7, 2016 18:55

Hairball

I read somewhere late last night that Ace of Spades is actually climbing up the Billboard charts ...maybe hard rock category?
I don;t think it ever made it anywhere on the charts previously - will try and find the info.

Not on Billboard; though it went top-ten in the U.K. They even appeared on BBC's Top of The Pops, rather amusingly.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 7, 2016 19:36

Thanks to Dean for posting the interview tidbits.
I'm jealous of an afternoon spent with Lemmy at the Rainbow for only $40!
>grinning smiley<

Motorhead played The Fillmore in Detroit last fall and I had a bittersweet feeling that it would be the last time I would see Lemmy onstage. They were LOUD and @#$%& GREAT.

Here's a link to some really wonderful photos taken from the pit by a cool local photographer:

Motorhead LIVE at The Fillmore Detroit

I bought a print of Lemmy from Sami last week. If you like, do the same. She's good people.

Date: January 7, 2016 20:01

It's a bit infuriating that Ace of Spades is the ONLY Motorhead song getting any recognition.

I suppose every band has that one song that becomes their signature, but Motorhead have SO MUCH great music out there...in fact, a lot of the best material was released in the last 25 years. With the exception of the Sony-released March or Die (their one attempt at a mainstream breakthrough) every album between the albums "1916" (from 1991) and "Bad Magic" (from 2015) has been solid to classic.

My favorite albums from this period:

Bastards (1993)
Sacrifice (1995)
Overnight Sensation (1996)
Inferno (2004)
Motorizer (2008)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-07 20:04 by keefriff99.

Date: January 7, 2016 20:03

Kurt
Thanks to Dean for posting the interview tidbits.
I'm jealous of an afternoon spent with Lemmy at the Rainbow for only $40!
>grinning smiley<

Motorhead played The Fillmore in Detroit last fall and I had a bittersweet feeling that it would be the last time I would see Lemmy onstage. They were LOUD and @#$%& GREAT.

Here's a link to some really wonderful photos taken from the pit by a cool local photographer:

Motorhead LIVE at The Fillmore Detroit

I bought a print of Lemmy from Sami last week. If you like, do the same. She's good people.
Beautiful photos.

I declined to see Motorhead one last time back in October...after seeing the video of him nearly collapse onstage in Austin, I wasn't entirely sure that I wanted my last memory of him to be of a frail and clearly sick old man.

Date: January 7, 2016 20:06

Here are a couple of fantastic videos of Motorhead on late-night American TV...

Letterman '91 playing Let It Rock (only Lemmy and Phil Campbell - Philthy and Wurzel couldn't secure visas in time):

[www.youtube.com]

Leno '92 playing Hellraiser, a short Jay interview, then Going to Brazil:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2016 23:03

ROCKMAN

Any Lemmey connections with the Stones
Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: January 6, 2016 20:15

Lemmey's last track on the last Motorhead head cd was Sympathy for the devil. A very good cover.
Stones Reactions to Lemmy"s passing....

RIP Lemmy

Re: Any Lemmy connections with the Stones
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 6, 2016 20:19

Check here: [www.iorr.org]

Re: Any Lemmey connections with the Stones
Date: January 6, 2016 20:54

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-06 20:54 by keefriff99.

Re: Any Lemmey connections with the Stones
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 6, 2016 21:26

Well, as Del Preston said, Keith can't be killed by conventional weapons. I think you have to retrieve some sacred dagger from atop an unreachable summit where you have to answer an impossible riddle.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2017
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home