Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Anorak: Taylor's amp in Kansas City 1981
Date: December 27, 2015 19:01

DandelionPowderman
Thanks, but how did/could it change history? smiling smiley

That is could have been Taylor's amp, a customized, MKii with a 15" speaker.smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-27 19:01 by DancelittleSister.

Date: December 27, 2015 21:57

DancelittleSister
DandelionPowderman
Thanks, but how did/could it change history? smiling smiley

That is could have been Taylor's amp, a customized, MKii with a 15" speaker.smiling smiley

Or the Stones's spare amp, customised the same way smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2015 22:58

Yep, everything is possible.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 28, 2015 12:37

Just to note -15" speakers where not 'custom' per se. Boogie's simply could be ordered with 12 or 15" speakers, 5-band EQ, 60/100 watt switch etc. 15" speakers are very popular with pedal steel players.

Mathijs

Date: December 28, 2015 15:26

Mesa Boogie had an Electro-Voice 15" specially voiced for their 1x12 combo. From gritty clean jazz to medium overdriven Santana tones, this speaker was extemely soulful for darker applications indeed.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: December 28, 2015 20:54

What's the source for the new picture?
Are there more pictures?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 28, 2015 22:34

NoCode0680
The search is over, I can stop carving Boogie amps out of my mashed potatoes.

I've never heard the show actually, just a few bits and pieces. Years ago I downloaded a bootleg of it, there may be better sources available now, or even then. But it wasn't anything I was interested in hearing, especially because Taylor was pretty much non-existent in the mix. And the rest of the band sounded like somebody was recording them on an answering machine from the payphone bank. What's the best source of this show?

Empress Valley "The One And Only Kansas City 1981" 4disc both shows pretty sure all sb sourced..its been so long since I listened to it I cant really say how high MT is in the mix but I'm sure its probably the best example..

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:58

I emailed Mesa Boogie.

The reply was that, from the pic it's hard to tell. Given when the pic was taken, it may be a mkIIB. They were sorry they couldn't help more.

Date: December 29, 2015 12:55

MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

The reply was that, from the pic it's hard to tell. Given when the pic was taken, it may be a mkIIB. They were sorry they couldn't help more.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 30, 2015 00:53

Is Taylor's amp the holy grail or something? One of the lost wonders of the world? An historical artefact comparable to the tomb of Tutankhamun?

Date: December 30, 2015 00:59

Probably not. A few years later, with John Mayall, he used an Ampeg VT22. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 30, 2015 04:28

Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Nope. You're again wrong as usual. The 77 MK1 had 6 knobs. This one has 7 making it a mkIIB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-30 04:28 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 30, 2015 05:34

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Nope. You're again wrong as usual. The 77 MK1 had 6 knobs. This one has 7 making it a mkIIB.

Yes you are right. The knob count was the first thing I did when looking at the picture and one of the reasons I initially suggested in was a MkII. If the people as Mesa were unable to identify it from the photograph I imagine that is as close as we'll get.

Date: December 30, 2015 12:33

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Nope. This is a February 1977 60/100 watt Mk1 with 7 knobs and 4 switches on the front. The added knob is for Presence, and the extra switch is the 60/100 watt switch. Speaker is a 15" Altec Lansing.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-30 12:43 by Mathijs.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 30, 2015 13:37

to bad there is not a pro shot video of this historic show !

Date: December 30, 2015 16:26

Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Nope. This is a February 1977 60/100 watt Mk1 with 7 knobs and 4 switches on the front. The added knob is for Presence, and the extra switch is the 60/100 watt switch. Speaker is a 15" Altec Lansing.

Mathijs

Nope. They never made one with 7 in 77. It wasn't till 78.

Date: December 30, 2015 20:48

More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Mathijs

You have no idea, now do you.....

Mathijs

Date: December 31, 2015 03:56

Yeah I do. proved you wrong again. You BS people here all the time. You're wrong. Just admit it.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 31, 2015 04:02

Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Actually if you look it up. MHR is right.

Date: December 31, 2015 12:32

Maybe some new info turned up over the last years. In an earlier thread Mathijs stated that the Stones used a MKIIB on the 1981 tour.So it might be interesting to reveal the source about the picture showing us a MKI ?

Date: December 31, 2015 17:49

DancelittleSister
Maybe some new info turned up over the last years. In an earlier thread Mathijs stated that the Stones used a MKIIB on the 1981 tour.So it might be interesting to reveal the source about the picture showing us a MKI ?

That's the 160 watt Coloseum heads both Richards and Wood used for the 1981 and 1982 tour. Those are IIB's.

Mathijs

Date: December 31, 2015 17:54

RockinJive
Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
More Hot Rocks
Mathijs
MingSubu
I emailed Mesa Boogie.

It's a 1977 MKI.

Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

Actually if you look it up. MHR is right.

If you actually look it up you will see that the 7 knob / 4 switches version of the Mk1 was available since the first Boogie's hit the stores in 1971. One of the earliest know ones is serial number 0011.

There's 300 or so made of these.

Mathijs

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 31, 2015 18:12

No thats not true. My research says no. This isn't a 71 or 78.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-31 18:15 by RockinJive.

Date: December 31, 2015 18:20

Mathijs
DancelittleSister

That's the 160 watt Coloseum heads both Richards and Wood used for the 1981 and 1982 tour. Those are IIB's.

Mathijs

You are correct, and Taylor using Wood's spare Boogie MKIIB Coloseum amp through 4*12 Boogie cab. I just wonder if the MKI or MKII combo on that picture was Taylor's amp from the Alvin Lee tour or another spare amp from the Stones.

Date: December 31, 2015 19:13

DancelittleSister
You are correct, and Taylor using Wood's spare Boogie MKIIB Coloseum amp through 4*12 Boogie cab. I just wonder if the MKI or MKII combo on that picture was Taylor's amp from the Alvin Lee tour or another spare amp from the Stones.

Looks to me like the speaker grill on Taylor's amp that he used with Alvin Lee was a bit different. There certainly were several options on those early Boogies, they were experimenting with many features so I doubt without more information that we will be able to nail it down any better than the people at Mesa Engineering did when they said the model was indeterminate from the picture.

Perhaps Mathijs can give us a bit of background for his assertion that it was a mkI. I was able to find one picture of a 7 knob, 4 switch Boogie that claims it is a mkI from 1978.

Date: December 31, 2015 21:06

Naturalust
DancelittleSister

Looks to me like the speaker grill on Taylor's amp that he used with Alvin Lee was a bit different. There certainly were several options on those early Boogies, they were experimenting with many features so I doubt without more information that we will be able to nail it down any better than the people at Mesa Engineering did when they said the model was indeterminate from the picture.

Perhaps Mathijs can give us a bit of background for his assertion that it was a mkI. I was able to find one picture of a 7 knob, 4 switch Boogie that claims it is a mkI from 1978.

To me both the picture posted with the Stones and Tayor's are not good enough to compare the grill, the resolution / and reflection of light coming from the mike standard could mislead us, lol, a James Bond thing. What's your claim the one you posted could be a MKI?

As far as that Stones picture is concerned it's nothing but a guessing game unless someone comes up with the source i.e book in which it is described precisely whether it's an MKI or MKII.

Date: December 31, 2015 21:35

DancelittleSister
Naturalust
DancelittleSister

To me both the picture posted with the Stones and Tayor's are not good enough to compare the grill, the resolution / and reflection of light coming from the mike standard could mislead us, lol, a James Bond thing. What's your claim the one you posted could be a MKI?

As far as that Stones picture is concerned it's nothing but a guessing game unless someone comes up with the source i.e book in which it is described precisely whether it's an MKI or MKII.

Yes perhaps you are right but those blond woven grills were pretty stand out. The picture with Taylor appears to be that type of grill to me.

The picture I posted of the possible 1978 MKI with 7 knobs and 4 switches is just one I found using a Google image search which identified it as a MKI and it very well could be a MKIIA similar to the one below (notice this one has 8 knobs).

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 31, 2015 22:43

Maybe another clue, on the picture on the first page, the amp is reflecting light on the lower left corner, possible one of those metal corner pieces? The pic above doesn't have those.

Date: December 31, 2015 23:04

Naturalust

Yes perhaps you are right but those blond woven grills were pretty stand out. The picture with Taylor appears to be that type of grill to me.

The picture I posted of the possible 1978 MKI with 7 knobs and 4 switches is just one I found using a Google image search which identified it as a MKI and it very well could be a MKIIA similar to the one below (notice this one has 8 knobs).

I was thinking about the speaker cone that makes the difference with Taylor's: it's black, and Stones's cone is shining it seems.

Date: December 31, 2015 23:17

Koen
Maybe another clue, on the picture on the first page, the amp is reflecting light on the lower left corner, possible one of those metal corner pieces? The pic above doesn't have those.

Hardwood cabinets use a dovetail joint which is a very stabile construction. I doubt if metal corner pieces make the difference between an MKI or an MKII.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1673
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home