Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Use of "I'm Free" on Norwegian Cruise Line Commercial
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: January 10, 2016 08:10

hmmm....how does something like this work?

A commercial just came on for Norwegian Cruise Lines -- part of their new "Free at Sea" ad campaign. The ad agency calls the themesong/rap "Freedom" (performed by Miami rapper "Pitbull" - apparently it may become available for download. Not that we care - just FYI).

It samples "I'm Free," with changed lyrics to: "I'm free to do what I want/And have a good time."

[www.youtube.com]
video: [www.youtube.com]

As the commercial rolled, I mused on how much it must have cost Norwegian Cruise Lines not only to license the Stones song, but to change the lyrics.

Then remembered--"I'm Free" is from 1965. Does that mean it's entirely owned by ABKCO? And did the Stones retain any rights to that music?

Is ABKCO free to do whatever it wants [absolutely anything] any old time -- with all early Stones' songs?

-swiss

Re: Use of "I'm Free" on Norwegian Cruise Line Commercial
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 10, 2016 10:05

I believe ABKCO is free to license the 60's catalog to whoever they want, although Mick and Keith still get songwriting royalties. Remember several years back Snickers chocolate bars used Satisfaction in their commercials.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 10, 2016 11:31

DGA35
Remember several years back Snickers chocolate bars used Satisfaction in their commercials.

Shouldn't that have been Mars bars? :E
Anyway yes, swiss, ABKCO is free to license all that music any old time.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 10, 2016 14:24

I'm Free was used here by one of the phone companies late last year.

Date: January 11, 2016 01:20

with sssoul
DGA35
Remember several years back Snickers chocolate bars used Satisfaction in their commercials.

Thanks, you guys.

Do you think they have to pay extra to change the lyrics? ("Free to do what I want/And have a good time.") As an artist/publisher, I'm not sure how cool I would be with that.

Then again, it's a Mick song more than Keith, and I'd imagine Mick gives very few shits about how he monetizes Stones assets--as long as it doesn't actively jeopardize further monetization in the future. "I'm Free" isn't much of a work of art anyway, and I'd imagine he'd be unfazed if the lyrics were replaced with words perceived to be catchier for advertising--and bonus that the overall tune is made re-relevant and contemporary by additional rap lyrics being added.

SomeTorontoGirl, did they alter the original lyrics on the commercial up there?

- swiss

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 11, 2016 01:35

SomeTorontoGirl
I'm Free was used here by one of the phone companies late last year.

This one, isn't it?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 11, 2016 02:43

I think Bell still uses that commercial here. Song is sort of the same style as The Sunday's version of Wild Horses.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 11, 2016 04:00

Cristiano Radtke
This one, isn't it?

That's it indeed Cristiano!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 11, 2016 04:46

swiss
with sssoul
DGA35

Thanks, you guys.

Do you think they have to pay extra to change the lyrics? ("Free to do what I want/And have a good time.") As an artist/publisher, I'm not sure how cool I would be with that.

Then again, it's a Mick song more than Keith, and I'd imagine Mick gives very few shits about how he monetizes Stones assets--as long as it doesn't actively jeopardize further monetization in the future. "I'm Free" isn't much of a work of art anyway, and I'd imagine he'd be unfazed if the lyrics were replaced with words perceived to be catchier for advertising--and bonus that the overall tune is made re-relevant and contemporary by additional rap lyrics being added.

- swiss

I agree with you 90% but "I'm Free" is great work of art written when Mick and Keith were 22 years old. What were you doing at age 22 that was so much better? Written and performed by The Stones!!! You are far too dismissive.

I bought the December's Children vinyl when it came out and "I'm Free" was one of the best tunes on it. Along with "She Said Yeah" and "Blue turns to Grey" also written when they were 22. Why don't you say that tune is crap too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-11 04:50 by triceratops.

Date: January 11, 2016 12:33

triceratops
"I'm Free" is great work of art written when Mick and Keith were 22 years old. What were you doing at age 22 that was so much better? Written and performed by The Stones!!! You are far too dismissive.

I bought the December's Children vinyl when it came out and "I'm Free" was one of the best tunes on it. Along with "She Said Yeah" and "Blue turns to Grey" also written when they were 22. Why don't you say that tune is crap too?

um...why don't you chill out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-11 12:50 by swiss.

Date: January 11, 2016 12:35

swiss
Thanks, you guys.

<snip>

- swiss

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 11, 2016 13:03

Once a song has been published, anyone who wants to cover it can cover it,
and I'm sure that includes things like altering the words (for example altering Imagine to make it "religion-friendly" )
so in a case like this they pay royalties to the songwriters and licensing fees to the publishers for sampling the original,
and then they do their thing with it.

The publishers don't *have* to license the original if they don't want to,
and since it happens relatively rarely with Stones music, apparently ABKCO cares how it's used.
So I guess this alteration was deemed no biggie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-11 13:04 by with sssoul.

Posted by: JamesMadison ()
Date: January 12, 2016 14:40

The Stones actually cut a version of I'm Free for the Chase Freedom Visa Card about 10 years ago.

Date: January 12, 2016 14:42

JamesMadison
The Stones actually cut a version of I'm Free for the Chase Freedom Visa Card about 10 years ago.

Is that true?

Posted by: JamesMadison ()
Date: January 12, 2016 14:49

DandelionPowderman
JamesMadison

Is that true?

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 12, 2016 14:53

JamesMadison
DandelionPowderman
JamesMadison

Is that true?

[www.youtube.com]

The Stones didn't cut that for the commercial. Visa just used the old track and added some synths and beats.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 12, 2016 16:00

ABKCO seem a pretty smart company when it comes to maximising their song publishing/copyrights. Of course having the pre 1972 Stones work gives them the golden nuggets to play with.
I wonder if Mick and Keith have ever refused use of their post 1972 work for advertising purposes or whatever?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:05

jlowe
ABKCO seem a pretty smart company when it comes to maximising their song publishing/copyrights. Of course having the pre 1972 Stones work gives them the golden nuggets to play with.
I wonder if Mick and Keith have ever refused use of their post 1972 work for advertising purposes or whatever?

They must say no all the time. The demand must be huge.

Date: January 13, 2016 12:27

The Stones licensed out SMU, IORR, Heartbreaker, Beast Of Burden and some other songs a few years ago for the norwegian clothing chain, Dressmann. They even made an album with Stones hits for the norwegian market.

Must be because Patti is partly norwegian winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1754
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home