Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: Please Quit Dissin' Daryl
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 23, 2015 11:26

I think Bill did great, absolutely great stuff.
But I think Daryl is doing a very good job too.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 12:18

matxil

Yes! I think that's the bottom line. If you make a list of the top 10 issues with the rolling stones, bass playing isn't one of them.

here would be my top 10:

1. advanced age causing changes to how songs are played (tempos, keys, etc)
2. complete break down of song writing team
3. utter debacle on the keyboards and the song arrangements that rely on keyboards so heavily.
4. tours have become very short, meaning there are fewer shows performed when the band has worked out the kinks (typically 3-5 shows into the tour).
5. fans are getting old, as a result the concerts are losing energy
6. some members (not MJ) are simply enjoying the ride rather than playing as if their life depended on it
7. set lists
8. willingness to release poor songs
9. don't do what we tell them to do on IORR and
10. if you read this far - merry christmas!

Date: December 23, 2015 12:21

Turner68
matxil

Yes! I think that's the bottom line. If you make a list of the top 10 issues with the rolling stones, bass playing isn't one of them.

here would be my top 10:

3. utter debacle on the keyboards and the song arrangements that rely on keyboards so heavily.
4. tours have become very short, meaning there are fewer shows performed when the band has worked out the kinks (typically 3-5 shows into the tour).
6. some members (not MJ) are simply enjoying the ride rather than playing as if their life depended on it
7. set lists

grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 23, 2015 13:01

Turner 68
If you make a list of the top 10 issues with the rolling stones, bass playing isn't one of them.

I don't agree. Now when Bill is gone it's pretty clear that a vital ingredient is missing. A gap that Darryl hasn't been able to close.
And Bill was the most reliable musician in the Stones. He hardly made any mistakes. You could always depend on him.

Date: December 23, 2015 13:09

Stoneage
Turner 68
If you make a list of the top 10 issues with the rolling stones, bass playing isn't one of them.

I don't agree. Now when Bill is gone it's pretty clear that a vital ingredient is missing. A gap that Darryl hasn't been able to close.
And Bill was the most reliable musician in the Stones. He hardly made any mistakes. You could always depend on him.

That's not true, but he was indeed reliable. But before the drugs I'd say that Keith was the most reliable musician in the Stones, judging by all the live recordings I've heard from the early days.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 23, 2015 14:30

Think the difference is Bill was so subtle and not "obvious" during any of the live songs...what we all enjoyed. ..darryl is more flamboyant and allowed to do various bass lines...backed up by "thin" guitars which made him sound too "obvious".
A great bass player is one who is an engine and you dont notice him during a live show.

Posted by: ErwinH ()
Date: December 23, 2015 14:55

I'm not a bassplayer, but I liked Bill's playing much more than Daryl's.

I miss Bill's solid playing.
Most of the times if people cán play more/faster they will,
but that's not what making music is about.

For me a bassplayer or drummer shouldn't do solo's,
not really interesting.

Maybe the only (but important) thing is I felt Bill's playing,
and somehow I don't feel Daryl's...

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 23, 2015 15:06

Turner68
matxil

here would be my top 10:

7. set lists

smileys with beer
Very good list.
And merry christmas to you and everyone else on IORR too!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 23, 2015 18:53

ErwinH
drummer shouldn't do solo's,
not really interesting.

Coming from a drummer that is an interesting perspective. Hey Erwin, check out the drummer thread I had asked your opinion on Michael Lee and was waiting to hear back. Thanks.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 23, 2015 19:11

matxil
Turner68
matxil

here would be my top 10:

7. set lists

smileys with beer
Very good list.
And merry christmas to you and everyone else on IORR too!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Turner and everyone else.

One of my New Years resolutions is to stop dissin' Darryl. winking smiley

Date: December 24, 2015 13:45

Naturalust
ErwinH
not really interesting.

Coming from a drummer that is an interesting perspective. Hey Erwin, check out the drummer thread I had asked your opinion on Michael Lee and was waiting to hear back. Thanks.

Imagine a soccergame...
Imagine the referee stops the game and 1 player can show the audience what he can do with a ball. After he showed off the game continues.
That's how I feel about drumsolo's.... you just shouldn't do it.

I will look for your other message.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 24, 2015 15:47

Neil Pearts solos were always entertaining...but Bonham's were an exercise in patience...

Stewart Copeland has your same opinion on drum solos Erwin

Date: December 24, 2015 16:07

Making music for me is all about interacting the song itself of course,
and very much about playing together (like the soccerteam), interacting.

I can't imagine somebody's interested in how fast I can do some drumrolls :-)

Date: December 24, 2015 17:27

ErwinH
Naturalust
ErwinH
not really interesting.

Imagine a soccergame...
Imagine the referee stops the game and 1 player can show the audience what he can do with a ball. After he showed off the game continues.
That's how I feel about drumsolo's.... you just shouldn't do it.

I will look for your other message.

Well the Harlem Globetrotters sure are a blast to watch. winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 24, 2015 21:11

ErwinH
I'm not a bassplayer, but I liked Bill's playing much more than Daryl's.

I miss Bill's solid playing.
Most of the times if people cán play more/faster they will,
but that's not what making music is about.

For me a bassplayer or drummer shouldn't do solo's,
not really interesting.

Maybe the only (but important) thing is I felt Bill's playing,
and somehow I don't feel Daryl's...

That's the bottom line. The bass in the Stones used to be an instrument you felt. It conveyed emotion. Now it's as utilitarian as a refrigerator.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 21:18

Was just listening to GHS yesterday and noticed the personality in all Keith's and Mick Taylor's bass lines. I'm a fan of Bill's playing and always thought the push-pull rhythm section was important to the sound, but GHS sounds like the Stones to me. I conclude that Charlie is far more important to the sound. He generally doesn't sound like the old Charlie these days, however. He plays a lot more straight, even on record, less loose swing and playing behind the beat. The rhythm section is stronger in the sense that they are providing a foolproof bottom for the rest of the group, which now includes KR, playing on top. This makes for consistent stadium shows. It doesn't sound like the old Stones though.

Date: December 24, 2015 21:29

TeddyB1018
Was just listening to GHS yesterday and noticed the personality in all Keith's and Mick Taylor's bass lines. I'm a fan of Bill's playing and always thought the push-pull rhythm section was important to the sound, but GHS sounds like the Stones to me. I conclude that Charlie is far more important to the sound. He generally doesn't sound like the old Charlie these days, however. He plays a lot more straight, even on record, less loose swing and playing behind the beat. The rhythm section is stronger in the sense that they are providing a foolproof bottom for the rest of the group, which now includes KR, playing on top. This makes for consistent stadium shows. It doesn't sound like the old Stones though.

do you think the problem could be the click track?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 24, 2015 22:05

24FPS
That's the bottom line. The bass in the Stones used to be an instrument you felt. It conveyed emotion. Now it's as utilitarian as a refrigerator.

Like I said in an earlier post, I rather felt Wyman than heard him. And I rather feel Darryl Jones than hearing him. And I do not notice the slightest difference. If on a song Keith plays the bass and someone would tell me it´s Wyman I would believe him right away. Mick on bass, Wyman on bass or Keith on bass or Darryl or Ronnie - to me it´s all the same.

Date: December 24, 2015 22:13

TeddyB1018

confused smiley Charlie playing behind the beat? That's a new one on me, he always seems to be pushing the beat from my perspective. But I do know what you mean by his drumming changing a bit in recent years, he seems to be going through the motions much more where as at one time he was more engaged and interactive with the music. And yes the solid framework of Darryl, Charlie and Chuck, while allowing Keith and Ronnie the ability to loosely ice the cake has indeed changed the overall Stones sound. It has been quite a while since I felt Keith was a part of that framework like he once was.

I also agree with your assertions about Bill and have mentioned as much on this thread. He was good but not as much an essential part of the Stones sound as many people have stated, at least in the studio. There are definite exceptions.

Date: December 24, 2015 22:14

TeddyB1018
Was just listening to GHS yesterday and noticed the personality in all Keith's and Mick Taylor's bass lines. I'm a fan of Bill's playing and always thought the push-pull rhythm section was important to the sound, but GHS sounds like the Stones to me.

I don't know where one gets the credits for GHS. On what cuts do Keith & Mick T. play bass. I know Bill is on the most important track, Angie. And I'm pretty sure he's on Dancing With Mr. D. If not, he sure nailed it on the bootleg version of Brussels.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 24, 2015 22:16

Naturalust

I also agree with your assertions about Bill and have mentioned as much on this thread. He was good but not as much an essential part of the Stones sound as many people have stated, at least in the studio. There are definite exceptions.

The Stones absolutely come into their own as a live band, always have done, and in that Bill was essential to the Stones sound.

Date: December 24, 2015 22:22

24FPS
TeddyB1018
Was just listening to GHS yesterday and noticed the personality in all Keith's and Mick Taylor's bass lines. I'm a fan of Bill's playing and always thought the push-pull rhythm section was important to the sound, but GHS sounds like the Stones to me.

I don't know where one gets the credits for GHS. On what cuts do Keith & Mick T. play bass. I know Bill is on the most important track, Angie. And I'm pretty sure he's on Dancing With Mr. D. If not, he sure nailed it on the bootleg version of Brussels.

Bass guitar on GHS:

Dancin' with Mr. D: Mick Taylor
100 Years Ago : Keith Richards
Coming Down Again: Mick Taylor
Heartbreaker: Keith Richards
Angie; Bill Wyman
Silver Train: Keith Richards
Hide Your Love: Keith Richards
Winter: Bill Wyman
Can You Hear The Music: Bill Wyman
Star Star: Bill Wyman

Which makes one wonder, just where was Bill when this record was being recorded?

Date: December 24, 2015 22:28

Rollin92
Naturalust

The Stones absolutely come into their own as a live band, always have done, and in that Bill was essential to the Stones sound.

Satisfaction. Start Me Up. Harlem Shuffle. Rocks Off. Under My Thumb. 19th Nervous Breakdown. 2000 Light Years From Home. Miss You. Imagination. Beast of Burden. Bitch (and every other cut on Sticky Fingers). Blinded By Love. Slipping Away. These are but a few of the studio cuts greatly enhanced by the Wyman touch. He is on almost all of their essential songs, the exceptions being around Beggars Banquet, when Keith horned in unnecessarily except for Sympathy.

Date: December 24, 2015 22:28

Rollin92
Naturalust

While I agree Rolling Stones concerts are great experiences, I challenge you to tell me which live songs are better than their studio versions. The studio stuff was so great however it isn't really saying they they weren't also very good live....just not as great from a purely musical standpoint, imo.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 24, 2015 23:03

Dissin' Daryl............ sounds like a great stage name

Date: December 24, 2015 23:05

24FPS
Rollin92
Naturalust

Satisfaction. Start Me Up. Harlem Shuffle. Rocks Off. Under My Thumb. 19th Nervous Breakdown. 2000 Light Years From Home. Miss You. Imagination. Beast of Burden. Bitch (and every other cut on Sticky Fingers). Blinded By Love. Slipping Away. These are but a few of the studio cuts greatly enhanced by the Wyman touch. He is on almost all of their essential songs, the exceptions being around Beggars Banquet, when Keith horned in unnecessarily except for Sympathy.

I would add "Under My Thumb"

Date: December 24, 2015 23:25

HMS
24FPS

Like I said in an earlier post, I rather felt Wyman than heard him. And I rather feel Darryl Jones than hearing him. And I do not notice the slightest difference. If on a song Keith plays the bass and someone would tell me it´s Wyman I would believe him right away. Mick on bass, Wyman on bass or Keith on bass or Darryl or Ronnie - to me it´s all the same.

Wow. That's sad. You've missed one fifth of the Rolling Stones. I guess from an early age I've been able to pick out instruments and understand what they're doing to the overall sound. Well, I always pick out the bass on a Stones song immediately. I'll think of you when I listen to Bill on GYYYO and Live With Me and be thankful. Merry Christmas.

Date: December 24, 2015 23:29

Naturalust
Rollin92
Naturalust

While I agree Rolling Stones concerts are great experiences, I challenge you to tell me which live songs are better than their studio versions. The studio stuff was so great however it isn't really saying they they weren't also very good live....just not as great from a purely musical standpoint, imo.

Black Limousine was better live, as was Dancing With Mr. D. It's usually lesser cuts that get a chance to stretch out. Midnight Rambler is one of those songs that is basically the same but sounds radically different across the eras. I think that is possible because they've never played Midnight Rambler like the studio version, which is a dark, troubling cut.

Date: December 24, 2015 23:47

24FPS
Naturalust
Rollin92
Naturalust

Black Limousine was better live, as was Dancing With Mr. D. It's usually lesser cuts that get a chance to stretch out. Midnight Rambler is one of those songs that is basically the same but sounds radically different across the eras. I think that is possible because they've never played Midnight Rambler like the studio version, which is a dark, troubling cut.

Agree there are a few cuts better live, just not that many considering their huge catalog. And I really don't want to be on the anti-Bill side of this debate, I do love most of his work! I just am on the fence about how essential he was to the Stones sound throughout their best period. Definitely more noticeable to me on the earlier material. I guess my greater appreciation of him since he's been gone speaks a bit to the fact that he is indeed missed. Bass players never get the respect they deserve, go figure. smoking smiley I certainly can't think of a song he messed up live, he was solid as a rock, something I can't say about Keith, Mick or Ronnie. But Darryl is just as solid, just different and I think acutely aware of his role as a sideman, there to do his job without causing any waves or drawing too much attention to himself.

Date: December 25, 2015 18:17

Naturalust
24FPS
Naturalust
Rollin92
Naturalust

Agree there are a few cuts better live, just not that many considering their huge catalog. And I really don't want to be on the anti-Bill side of this debate, I do love most of his work! I just am on the fence about how essential he was to the Stones sound throughout their best period. Definitely more noticeable to me on the earlier material. I guess my greater appreciation of him since he's been gone speaks a bit to the fact that he is indeed missed. Bass players never get the respect they deserve, go figure. smoking smiley I certainly can't think of a song he messed up live, he was solid as a rock, something I can't say about Keith, Mick or Ronnie. But Darryl is just as solid, just different and I think acutely aware of his role as a sideman, there to do his job without causing any waves or drawing too much attention to himself.

When you think of Bill's stoic, passive countenance on stage, the playing betrayed a passionate, aggressive player. That may have come being there pretty much from the beginning, and feeling the band was just as much his as the others. Maybe that's what's different about Darryl. He got on the ride long after the golden years and is not particularly passionate about it. Just a job, period.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2278
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home