Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Please Quit Dissin' Daryl
Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:03

Naturalust

... he [Daryl}'s here to stay and will play with them until the end.

Although likely, there is no certainty.

It's easy to forget, but Jones is now in his mid-fifties. Who knows how far these particular stones will roll?

Olly.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:14

Olly
Naturalust

... he [Daryl}'s here to stay and will play with them until the end.

Although likely, there is no certainty.

It's easy to forget, but Jones is now in his mid-fifties. Who knows how far these particular stones will roll?

Yes, but compared to the Glimmer Twins at 72, he is 18 years younger so it looks very likely to me.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:21

latebloomer
roundnround
Lisa also compared Keith to the "Cookie Monster"...

That's funny...as in he loves to eat sweets or is it a different connotation?

JUst in the ways he talks… She said she couldn't understand him at first...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:36

roundnround
i hear frequent references that Jones is a "jazz" artist and played with "Miles Davis" etc… These are code references to say that "he is black so he can't play rock and roll", which is nonsense. He can play rock and roll better than anyone in the business. Some have called Darryl "too funky", another racial code word. Let'Keep racism out of this discussion...

Nonsense. This has nothing to do with race. It has to do with what's between your ears. You're either an addition to the Stones sound, or you're just a sideman. Bill is part of the Stones sound. Darryl is a sideman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:36

roundnround
latebloomer
roundnround
Lisa also compared Keith to the "Cookie Monster"...

That's funny...as in he loves to eat sweets or is it a different connotation?

JUst in the ways he talks… She said she couldn't understand him at first...

I thought it might have been the hairstyle, but the way he grumbles while he talks makes sense.

Date: December 21, 2015 02:38

Hairball
Bill is missed and always will be, but Daryl is adequate and Charlie likes him.

The very definition of damning with faint praise.

Date: December 21, 2015 02:42

24FPS
Hairball

If that's the way you interpret it, but it wasn't meant to be 'damning'.
He fills the role and seems to do it very well.

Re: Please Quit Dissin' Darryl
Posted by: alfadriver85 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:52

Could bring back Dick Taylor to complete the circle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-21 02:56 by alfadriver85.

Posted by: Turner68 ()

Why don't they have Darryl play bass in the studio? Is Mick Jagger a better bassist?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-21 02:53 by Turner68.

Re: Please Quit Dissin' Darryl
Posted by: alfadriver85 ()

Taylor was bassist for Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-21 03:01 by alfadriver85.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 21, 2015 02:59

Turner68
Why don't they have Darryl play bass in the studio? Is Mick Jagger a better bassist?

They do have him play bass in the studio. Yeah Mick and Keith played some on ABB but there is as much of Darryl as either of them. Probably had more to do with who was around in the studio at the time and what ideas Mick and Keith already had for the bass parts.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 04:24

Yeah, what WOULD The Stones know? After all these years.....if WE can tell Darryl's a dud, surely THEY should be able to. Considering how successful as RnR bands/musicians WE all are, it's about time The Stones listened to us. They obviously need some guidance.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-21 04:25 by bitusa2012.

Date: December 21, 2015 05:38

Naturalust
Turner68

They do have him play bass in the studio. Yeah Mick and Keith played some on ABB but there is as much of Darryl as either of them. Probably had more to do with who was around in the studio at the time and what ideas Mick and Keith already had for the bass parts.

You're right, he plays bass on more than half the songs on ABB. However I do find it strange that Mick plays bass on a handful of songs.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 21, 2015 07:07

24FPS
roundnround
i hear frequent references that Jones is a "jazz" artist and played with "Miles Davis" etc… These are code references to say that "he is black so he can't play rock and roll", which is nonsense. He can play rock and roll better than anyone in the business. Some have called Darryl "too funky", another racial code word. Let'Keep racism out of this discussion...

Nonsense. This has nothing to do with race. It has to do with what's between your ears. You're either an addition to the Stones sound, or you're just a sideman. Bill is part of the Stones sound. Darryl is a sideman.

The Stones made a bad decision. That's it. Of course they will never admit it. I share Mr Zimmerman's notion about this. Mr Jones is simply not a rock and roll bassist. He may be very technically astute and professional.
But he's not the real deal. He has not added anything to the music of The Rolling Stones but rather taken away from it and changed it to something it shouldn't be. The Rolling Stones were never a funk/jazz/fusion band.
They have dabbled in those fields but that is not the same thing. My guess is that Mr Watts was impressed by him because he had played with jazz icons. And the second thing is that he fitted imagewise with the band.
He is a cool cat, I'll give him that. That is probably why they chose him.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 21, 2015 07:48

Well, he ain't got Bill's swing. The true Stones "wobble" sound is gone. 'nuff said.

Date: December 21, 2015 07:50

Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68

You're right, he plays bass on more than half the songs on ABB. However I do find it strange that Mick plays bass on a handful of songs.

I found that strange too! I think Mick just enjoys playing an instrument and was having fun laying down bass tracks and for the kind of music the Stones play it isn't that particularly difficult really. I also believe that over the years Mick has developed his musicianship more than many people realize. He's no virtuoso but he's obviously competent on bass, guitar and piano. Just listen to his playing on Sway and Moonlight Mile and realize he's had 40 years to practice! smoking smiley

Date: December 21, 2015 09:37

Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

If the best adjective you can describe Darryl's bass playing with the Stones is adequate, I guess we should just give up and never expect excellence on the low end for the rest of the band's existence.

Date: December 21, 2015 09:49

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

If the best adjective you can describe Darryl's bass playing with the Stones is adequate, I guess we should just give up and never expect excellence on the low end for the rest of the band's existence.

After 21 years with the band if you have any expectations beyond what Darryl has already done you should get over them now and "give up" to use your words.

Date: December 21, 2015 10:26

Darryl is good on the funky stuff, but has obvious shortcomings on the «walking bass»-rockers, which was Bill's home ground, imo.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 21, 2015 10:36

The thing is that he's not even good on those songs where you would expect him to be good like "Miss You". He's simply too much for The Rolling Stones.
To elaborated, to many notes. He is funk, he is R&B, he is jazz, he is soul, he is fusion - but he's not rock and roll.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: December 21, 2015 15:55

I finally got around to watching the Tokyo Dome Blu Ray and Bill's playing is just so perfect, in my opinion. Darryl makes some bassy sounds and holds the bottom but adds absolutely nothing to the "Stones" sound. Again, my opinion. With all humility, I could do a better job and so could a lot of musicians on this board.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 21, 2015 17:05

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
treaclefingers
i think you'd have more credibility in your argument if in the same post that you lament about criticism of Daryl, you didn't diss another artist.

He sounds like a typical Duran(x2) fan...they were always pissed about the greatness of The Police...

i always thought Hungry Like The Wolf sounded a little policish.

Is that a word? If that's a word I'd like to discuss licensing it from you. T shirts, koozies, maybe a coffee cup...lemme know

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 19:37

Hairball
Lisa, while praised by some, was annihilated by others - see Gimme Shelter. Now she's gone.
I'm sorry...I must have missed some big news at some point. Lisa is GONE?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-21 19:38 by keefriff99.

Date: December 21, 2015 19:38

keefriff99
Hairball
Lisa, while praised by some, was annihilated by others - see Gimme Shelter. Now she's gone.
I'm sorry...I must have misse some news at some point. Lisa is GONE?

not on this tour, possibly will be on future ones. she is pursuing her solo career, on tour herself early next year.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 21, 2015 19:39

Turner68
keefriff99
Hairball
I'm sorry...I must have misse some news at some point. Lisa is GONE?

not on this tour, possibly will be on future ones. she is pursuing her solo career, on tour herself early next year.
Interesting. Good for her though...I think the Stones could use some shakeup on the backing vocals.

I like Bernard only because he's basically Mick's lifeline and hits the highs that Keith used to, but Lisa's Gimme Shelter shtick was getting a bit played out.

Date: December 21, 2015 20:20

24FPS
Hairball
24FPS
Hairball

You can interpret what I said however you want, but you shouldn't twist my words to fulfill your imagination.
Rather than nitpicking over an adjective I used, maybe you should spend your energy on giving us your opinion on his bass playing as a member of the Stones.
And why would my lone opinion influence every other person anyways ("we should just give up and never expect excellence" )? Obviously he's a great bass player, but if after all these years of him playing within the constraints of the Stones you want to expect 'excellence', then more power to you. Who knows though, he may be the highlight of the new album? Once again, he fills the role and seems to do it very well - or according to the Oxford dictionary: "satisfactory or acceptable in quality or quantity". Not as doomsday or 'damning' as you are attempting to read into it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 21, 2015 20:36

roundnround
i hear frequent references that Jones is a "jazz" artist and played with "Miles Davis" etc… These are code references to say that "he is black so he can't play rock and roll"

Hahaha, that's funny. Luckily the Stones are not your typical rock and roll band. thumbs up

Posted by: StonesNYc ()
Date: December 21, 2015 20:45

It's laughable comparing Jones to Wyman. Jones is an accomplished musician, Bill barely played on any Stones albums.

Date: December 21, 2015 21:45

StonesNYc
It's laughable comparing Jones to Wyman. Jones is an accomplished musician, Bill barely played on any Stones albums.

Since when did being an accomplished musician have much to do with good rock and roll? smoking smiley

Date: December 21, 2015 21:52

StonesNYc

Just trying to poke the rabble? In the early days he played on ALL the cuts. I don't think it was until 1966 and Let's Spend the Night Together that Keith butted in. Keith didn't try again, I think, until 1968 and JJF and a few cuts on Beggars. And I guess you don't consider Sticky Fingers much of an album since Bill is on every single cut. It is laughable comparing Bill's playing with the Stones to Jones, but not for the way you think. Funk? How about Bill on Miss You (including some killer live versions). And Harlem Shuffle? Please. Unless of course you're another one of those guys who can't hear the bass to begin with like we had earlier.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home