Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Please Quit Dissin' Daryl
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2015 11:38

Never be another set of Glimmer Twins ...... NEVER

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2015 11:43

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Taylor only referred to Keith not playing guitar on Sway. Of course it is Keith singing there, it's classic Keith harmony vocals.

I agree about studio vs. live, btw (as I stated in my post).

I just tried to give Stoneage the short version, and actually stood up for you smiling smiley

Classic Keith harmony vocals that could have been done by Mick or any of the other three vocalists credited on the track...Pete Townsend, Ronnie Lane and Billy Nicholls (if you believe Ian's site). And when Taylor said "I don't think Keith's on it" it's not clear he was referring to just guitar without further context really. But thanks for standing up for us getting a bit off track here, I agree it's OK, sometimes it's just best to deal with things as they come up. smoking smiley

I'm willing to accept that you think it's Keith and we both probably see no sense in dissing Darryl.

That's ok (as long as you understand that you are one of the VERY FEW) who don't believe Keith is singing on that track winking smiley )

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 22, 2015 12:11

DandelionPowderman

That's ok (as long as you understand that you are one of the VERY FEW) who don't believe Keith is singing on that track winking smiley )

Well as long as Taylor and Jagger agree with me I guess I'm OK with it..pretty good company. lol I wonder if Billy Nicholls is still around and would have insight on that one? I'd like to find out the story of Pete Townsend singing on it too.

Date: December 22, 2015 12:13

Jagger and Taylor never said that Keith didn't sing on it. They were merely pointing out that the Keith-sounding rhythm guitar was played by Jagger, and that Keith didn't play on it.

There aren't that many voices on Sway, and Ian has Keith named first on background vocals. Some mixing up there, undoubtly. My guess is that Pete, Ronnie and Billy were there, as rumoured, but that their contributions were limited to some singalong in the room way behind Keith at best.

Keith is way up in the mix, singing the harmony, and I can't hear five voices in that chorus.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-22 14:14 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 22, 2015 12:40

Back to Darryl, the stuff he's done on MY and ER on recent tours is pretty good, imo.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: December 22, 2015 13:46

DandelionPowderman
Back to Darryl, the stuff he's done on MY and ER on recent tours is pretty good, imo.

Yes, even Mick stated "Sometimes I wanna play the bass like Darryl".

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 13:50

RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman

I like his work on ER, but not so fussed on Miss You. As a rule I think bass solos are tacky (speaking as a bassist).

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 22, 2015 13:58

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 14:00

Date: December 22, 2015 14:11

Rollin92
RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman

I like his work on ER, but not so fussed on Miss You. As a rule I think bass solos are tacky (speaking as a bassist).

I tend to agree, but I bet Darryl didn't suggest that bass solo smiling smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 22, 2015 16:55

there is really a lot to consider here in this thread.

Bill: bassist for 31 years, active in every phase of the band and its official self- appointed historian

Darryl: bassist since 1994. Darryl isn't the bassist on many recorded versions,

but neither was Bill ...

yet- Darryl provides a very warm, spot-on pocket with Charlie, always there in a supportive way.

and yet- Bill did this so much more creatively. the groove, the warmth, plus musically interesting lines, always there with Bill and Charlie, live.

listening to the Vault stuff dramatically shows this.

but- I wonder if its a personal thing with Bill. over the years, how hot and cold it must have been, especially with him and Keith.

with Darryl, none of that applies. He does his job and the relationships within the band apparently have been all good all the time.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 22, 2015 17:12

Naturalust
The fact that Keith doesn't get anywhere near a mic on the live versions of Sway also makes me think he wasn't involved in the B/G vocals but this of course isn't the best judge of such things. He always seemed to be having enough trouble with the guitar parts he didn't play on the record.

One of those Stones questions us hard core fans kind of brood over but is pretty meaningless in the larger scope of things.

Well, ha ha, he hardly gets anywhere near the mic as it is on songs he certainly does sing back up on!

Date: December 22, 2015 17:13

Naturalust
StonesNYc
It's laughable comparing Jones to Wyman. Jones is an accomplished musician, Bill barely played on any Stones albums.

Since when did being an accomplished musician have much to do with good rock and roll? smoking smiley

I'd like to know what albums Bill "barely played on".

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 22, 2015 17:20

duke richardson
there is really a lot to consider here in this thread.

Bill: bassist for 31 years, active in every phase of the band and its official self- appointed historian

Darryl: bassist since 1994. Darryl isn't the bassist on many recorded versions,

but neither was Bill ...

yet- Darryl provides a very warm, spot-on pocket with Charlie, always there in a supportive way.

and yet- Bill did this so much more creatively. the groove, the warmth, plus musically interesting lines, always there with Bill and Charlie, live.

listening to the Vault stuff dramatically shows this.

but- I wonder if its a personal thing with Bill. over the years, how hot and cold it must have been, especially with him and Keith.

with Darryl, none of that applies. He does his job and the relationships within the band apparently have been all good all the time.

This

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 22, 2015 17:29

latebloomer
roundnround
Lisa also compared Keith to the "Cookie Monster"...

That's funny...as in he loves to eat sweets or is it a different connotation?

it's cuz the cookie monster is on junk.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 22, 2015 17:45

StonesNYc
Wyman is not in the same league as Jones yet I read how great Wyman was. He was an average bass player.

Your post proves you don't udnerstand the essence of rock'n roll. An idiot who bought his instrument tow months ago can produce music that's more exciting than what a guy who graduated from Berklee or GIT will come up with.

Bill's the "idiot" Darry's the guy from GIT.

Btw John McLaughlin didn't get either... I remember reading an early 90's interview where he pissed all over Keith and his complete lack of skills on guitar. eye rolling smiley
Poor John...

Date: December 22, 2015 17:54

dcba
StonesNYc
Wyman is not in the same league as Jones yet I read how great Wyman was. He was an average bass player.

Your post proves you don't udnerstand the essence of rock'n roll. An idiot who bought his instrument tow months ago can produce music that's more exciting than what a guy who graduated from Berklee or GIT will come up with.

Bill's the "idiot" Darry's the guy from GIT.

Btw John McLaughlin didn't get either... I remember reading an early 90's interview where he pissed all over Keith and his complete lack of skills on guitar. eye rolling smiley
Poor John...

I get what you're saying, but the comparison is a little unfair...

the way Bill and Darryl play, either way is good, and they know what to play to serve the song.

but saying Darryl is like a 'music college graduate' who can't play in an exciting way because presumably he's so trained as a musician, compared to an 'un-trained ' one, as your comparison say Bill is,

is to diminish both of them. Darryl's never been about show-off, virtuoso playing,

and Bill is a very musically sophisticated player. he may not be able to read music, and I'm sure Darryl is a fluent reader ( he would have to be to play with jazz musicians )

but listening to both Darryl and Bill one hears feel and supportive playing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2015 17:54

RipThisBone
DandelionPowderman

As for ER, Darryl's bass was fine and indeed a highlight.
But you can't really polish a turd and make it any better.

Date: December 22, 2015 17:57

Darryl will never provide the lurch that Bill did.

So what. Keith doesn't play like he did in 1981 either.

Goddamn.

Date: December 22, 2015 18:01

GasLightStreet

Goddamn.

lurch..

it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that lurch.

thumbs up

Date: December 22, 2015 18:08

duke richardson
GasLightStreet

Goddamn.

lurch..

it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that lurch.

thumbs up

That's exactly what is was! They haven't lurched for eons!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 22, 2015 19:04

I dont mind who is playing the bass with the Stones, most of the times I dont notice the bass anyway. Rather feel than hear it. The actual playing is covered by the guitars and the drums. So any bass player the Stones want to work with is fine for me, since I wouldnt hear any difference.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 22, 2015 19:12

HMS
I dont mind who is playing the bass with the Stones, most of the times I dont notice the bass anyway. Rather feel than hear it. The actual playing is covered by the guitars and the drums. So any bass player the Stones want to work with is fine for me, since I wouldnt hear any difference.

this explains so much... ;-)

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 02:10

I love the way this thread makes Bill sound like some musical primitive. He took piano lessons for a couple years as a kid. That swing on the studio Under My Thumb ain't from some plunker. I would trust Bill to put one perfect note in a free space and make it count emotionally more than any bassist I can think of. Think how many different styles he had to play in the Stones. From blues to jazz (think 'Terrifying'). The Stones don't require noodling technique, ala Stanley Clarke, they require 'feel'.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 02:25

24FPS
I love the way this thread makes Bill sound like some musical primitive. He took piano lessons for a couple years as a kid. That swing on the studio Under My Thumb ain't from some plunker. I would trust Bill to put one perfect note in a free space and make it count emotionally more than any bassist I can think of. Think how many different styles he had to play in the Stones. From blues to jazz (think 'Terrifying'). The Stones don't require noodling technique, ala Stanley Clarke, they require 'feel'.

thumbs up Maybe we should name this Thread "Please Quit Dissin' Daryl and Bill too"

Date: December 23, 2015 02:26

Turner68
HMS

this explains so much... ;-)

Yessssss it does.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 23, 2015 02:37

24FPS
He took piano lessons for a couple years as a kid.

Well that surely gives him rock and roll credibility. winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 23, 2015 06:57

Naturalust
24FPS
He took piano lessons for a couple years as a kid.

Well that surely gives him rock and roll credibility. winking smiley

I'll bet McCartney learned some from his dad. We know Brian grew up playing instruments. I wonder if Bill or Brian could read a little music.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 23, 2015 07:22

24FPS

Just listened to the studio version of "Under My Thumb" earlier today when it came on the radio, and found myself marveling at the bass line, and then upon reading this post I had to comment. He made the song as much as Brian did.

Date: December 23, 2015 08:44

I wish Brian and Bill had played the same riff smiling smiley

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1676
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home