Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6
Re: Please Quit Dissin' Daryl
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2015 18:39

EddieByword
Dissin' Daryl............ sounds like a great stage name

thumbs up

Every time I see the title to this thread I have a laugh.smiling smiley

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: December 25, 2015 20:08

Daryl is an excellent bass player. Period.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: December 26, 2015 11:16

Naturalust
TeddyB1018
Was just listening to GHS yesterday and noticed the personality in all Keith's and Mick Taylor's bass lines. I'm a fan of Bill's playing and always thought the push-pull rhythm section was important to the sound, but GHS sounds like the Stones to me. I conclude that Charlie is far more important to the sound. He generally doesn't sound like the old Charlie these days, however. He plays a lot more straight, even on record, less loose swing and playing behind the beat. The rhythm section is stronger in the sense that they are providing a foolproof bottom for the rest of the group, which now includes KR, playing on top. This makes for consistent stadium shows. It doesn't sound like the old Stones though.

confused smiley Charlie playing behind the beat? That's a new one on me, he always seems to be pushing the beat from my perspective. But I do know what you mean by his drumming changing a bit in recent years, he seems to be going through the motions much more where as at one time he was more engaged and interactive with the music. And yes the solid framework of Darryl, Charlie and Chuck, while allowing Keith and Ronnie the ability to loosely ice the cake has indeed changed the overall Stones sound. It has been quite a while since I felt Keith was a part of that framework like he once was.

I also agree with your assertions about Bill and have mentioned as much on this thread. He was good but not as much an essential part of the Stones sound as many people have stated, at least in the studio. There are definite exceptions.

Yes, I agree. As for the bear, Charlie did push it but he would often hit the snare at the latest moment in the pocket.

Goto Page: Previous123456
Current Page: 6 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1488
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home