Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mixed emotions
Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: November 27, 2015 18:33

I think Mixed Emotions is a great song and don´t know why the stones haven´t performed it since the 1990 tour. I also like the video.

I would love to hear it on the America Latina Olé Tour, but I know that is not gonna happen.

What do you guys think of Mixed Emotions?

Re: Mixed emotions
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 18:36

i was so looking forward to its single release ahead of the album steel wheels, also trying to get a friend into the stones and was so dissapointed when mixed emotions was released, my friend said its poor and i agree,d and still do, thankfully the album was better.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 18:39

alexisjagger
I think Mixed Emotions is a great song and don´t know why the stones haven´t performed it since the 1990 tour. I also like the video.

I would love to hear it on the America Latina Olé Tour, but I know that is not gonna happen.

I'm of two minds about it. I fondly remember hearing it on the radio for the first time, several weeks before Steel Wheels came out. At the time, it was hard to believe the Stones had really gotten back together and were on tour. The song got heavy airplay on the radio when released (I imagine most of those in the industry were expecting another smash hit), it really felt like "the Stones are back!"

With the perspective of time, however, I find it a pretty pedestrian song, and especially when I hear it I think of Keith talking about the " 'orrible Beatles bridge" in Please Please Me" and chuckle about the horrible Stones bridge in "Mixed Emotions".

The video, I have similar feelings about - at the time it was great to see them back, and I have fond memories of that, but in retrospect it's just not that special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 18:46 by Turner68.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: November 27, 2015 18:48

alexisjagger

I have mixed emotionseye rolling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:00

Agree with Turner regarding being happy the Stones were back. The anticipation was huge, but....
Also agree with buttons67 regarding total disappointment, and still think so today.
Sterile sounding overall and background vocals overpowering.

The entire album was a disappointment, but it was nice to see them tour again.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:02

I was delighted at first hearing, finally they were back in the ring and the song sounded so Stones-like... Now I would say it´s not a great song, but it is fun to listen to. It still is! Mixed Emotions is one of the better tracks on the weak Steel-Wheels-album. Unfortunately it never worked live as good as in the studio. Called it "Stones-by-numbers" if you want to, but the guitars are still great and it is truly a catchy tune.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:18

Liked it then. Like it now.

Didn't translate "live" very well though. Ditto "Love Is Strong".

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 27, 2015 19:20

Your not the only one - with Mick's emotions! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 27, 2015 22:39

HMS: : Re Mixed Emotions: Called it "Stones-by-numbers" if you want to...."

Isn't this what most, if not all, of what the Stones do these days? There's nothing new or innovative in what they present. Mixed Emotions sounds great, but it's nothing you haven't heard before or will in the future, IMHO. Love the band, their music, but....

Re Steel Wheels, it's a better album, IMHO, tham given credit, but I say this only in regard to some of gthe songs on the album. It's one of those pick and choose what pleases you albums re songs.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 27, 2015 22:40

It's cruel ta watch but many on here end up with mixed emoticons ...moody smiley

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 23:35 by Rockman.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 27, 2015 22:46

Rockman: Mixed emotions is life. Up one day, down the next; feeling pi*sed, feelin' elated. Remember: the past is gone, the future is unknown - live for today. And, CCR just came up in the mix playing Bad Moon Rising and now the Kinks doing Set Me Free. Let's all groove.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 27, 2015 23:19

Somehow I think this tune would have worked better as a bit softer Keith tune. As it is don't really work without a more emotional delivery, I think Keith might have been able to pull it off Crosseyed Heart style. As it is the verses are just too straight ahead, the chorus not emotional enough and the bridge pretty horrific. But to each their own, just one guy's opinion since you asked.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: November 28, 2015 00:52

The 12" mix of Mixed Emotions was considerably better.

But an enjoyable listen, yes.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 28, 2015 01:05

Love hearing this song. 1989 was a great year for me and many of my favourite artists had new releases that I eagerly anticipated that year.

Steel Wheels
New York
Freedom
Built to Last
Full Moon Fever
Avalon Sunset
Oh Mercy

Some of the above are better than others, but I love them all and listening to them now brings me back to that year.

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: November 28, 2015 05:59

Worst lyrics ever IMHO. Musically fine but needed a different lyric. And those backup girls vocals . Your not the only oooooooonnnnnneeeeee. Awful. And while I am at it I don't like Keith's backup vocal,either.

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 28, 2015 07:37

I have a special place in my heart (and a very strong love) for this song because it was my first Stones song. I remember
A. thinking how incredible the rhythm guitar was and
B. thinking Keith looked really cool. I didn't know anything about him back then, I just knew I thought he was awesome

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 07:44 by stones2000.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: November 28, 2015 12:13

I like the song a lot, for different reasons.
First, it was on the playlist of my very first Stones live show, Munich 1990.
The "they´re back" feel about it comes up as well. At around the same time i saw the "25 x 5" footage w/ scenes of the Steel Wheels recordings. What i did like most was the take with the recording of the background vocals of that particular song, KR, Fowler and one more person (???). Almost comedy-style. Good vibrations, good rock song.

Cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: November 28, 2015 13:17

Elmo Lewis
Liked it then. Like it now.

Didn't translate "live" very well though.

I've never liked the studio version. But I think it did translate "live".

Pretty good when they played it in Atlantic City.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2015 19:28

Although it's not a great song it did cure the migraine pain that was still there from DIRTY WORK. This one single put DIRTY WORK in the grave (although Rock And A Hard Place tried to dig DIRTY WORK out of the grave).

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 28, 2015 20:00

A very radio friendly song at the time, it sounded modern, current and the general public responded with a US Top 5 hit, sadly it was their last shot to the main audience, from then on they were labeled as nostalgia (26 years and counting) and no one cared about any new song anymore,

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 29, 2015 16:59

GasLightStreet
Although it's not a great song it did cure the migraine pain that was still there from DIRTY WORK. This one single put DIRTY WORK in the grave (although Rock And A Hard Place tried to dig DIRTY WORK out of the grave).

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: November 29, 2015 20:21

It's hard to play live. Great song! It gets me pumped-up! Great message. Seems to be about Mick's feelings about Keith.

Date: November 30, 2015 15:52

I don't understand the 'it's hard to play live' thing. I think that was Mick's way of getting the down the middle song some attention. Is he saying that Midnight Rambler or Monkey Man or Out Of Tears are easy to play? Because it's absurd that Mixed Emotions is "hard" to play live. Maybe it's hard for him to sing live because it's in the same key that You Got Me Rocking is in which is clearly difficult for him to sing...

What a load. What was it, the hard part was it goes from D major to A minor and B minor for the chorus. I could see it being a bit of a challenge it if went to F# minor or C# minor but A minor?

Was it hard in the studio? Because it doesn't sound like it.

Date: November 30, 2015 15:57

Shouldn't we discuss this one in its «track talk»-thread?

Date: November 30, 2015 16:00

DandelionPowderman

I dunno. It's being discussed here!

Date: November 30, 2015 16:04

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

I know..

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: November 30, 2015 16:24

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

I know..

Confusing, isn't it. smoking smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 18:56

RoughJusticeOnYa
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

I know..

Confusing, isn't it. smoking smiley

If only there was someone to merge threads together for us....

Posted by: Mimi73 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 19:37

...than we got mixed emotions indeed...
I like this song!
tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: November 30, 2015 19:45

Great song, love the album. Wish they would play this one live next tour!

Pete.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home