Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Not everyone in U2 is all that environmentally conscious or concerned
Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:02

[www.laobserved.com]

Thanks, Dave Evans, for developing a virgin Malibu mountaintop

Re: OT: Not everyone in U2 is all that environmentally conscious or concerned
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:07

I'd heard about that fight, I'm disappointed to hear that he won.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:22

Let's be real. They are all phonies.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:24

Ridiculous to point out Dave when hundreds of other developers are destroying even prettier lands all over the US...since its Malibu these estates are destined to fall over, burn down, get mudslid and sink into the swamp...a non story

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 15, 2015 17:30

Haters gonna hate...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 15, 2015 18:18

Well, The Edge wanted a home on the edge.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 15, 2015 18:30

given his means, it's curious he would have taken this position, and fought it for 10 years. i'd like to know his side of the story, as optics are not great given what the band appears to stand for.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 15, 2015 18:32

I don't get it, why would anyone need to build 5 - 10,000 sq. ft. home next to each other....what's he going to do, live in each one 10 weeks a year????confused smiley

...I mean if he was going to sell off 4 of them that would be one thing, but we know he's not going to do thatgrinning smiley

But in reality, I wonder if he plans on living in any of them?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 15, 2015 18:38

Any number of questions arise re this: Is he going to live there? What does he mean by green? Since the band's not selling albums like they used to, is this to be his retirement gig - to be a developer/destroyer of the land? Considering the drought in Cali, the water restrictions, etc., how does he justify a swimming pool on each lot? Considering the water restrictions, etc., just who got paid off?

Joni sang it right: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot". And, a line I read somewhere: "Suburbia - the place where they tear down the trees and name streets after them."

Date: December 15, 2015 18:58

PHONIES, the lot of em

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 15, 2015 19:00

They could rename the band "U would 2"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 15, 2015 19:15

Well, they are in it for the money, right. They all are multi-millionaires. Maybe they still have a heart???
Jeroen

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 15, 2015 19:23

Yupe that what millionaires do....

Date: December 15, 2015 19:35

It is a matter of ego "you think you can stop me from doing what I want"? Why else fight it for 10 years. There are lots of beautiful properties all over the world, no reason to obsess over this one.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 15, 2015 19:44

The Edge's defense : "I may destroy Mother Nature one acre at a time but at least unlike Bono I never shook Bush Jr's hand! So don't point your finegr at me!" >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 15, 2015 23:17

Turner68
It is a matter of ego "you think you can stop me from doing what I want"? Why else fight it for 10 years. There are lots of beautiful properties all over the world, no reason to obsess over this one.

Development within 5 miles of the California coast is pretty tightly regulated by the coastal commission. I've dealt with them before and anything remotely controversial can take years to resolve. Without knowing more about the property it's hard to judge what this one is all about. Leveling a mountaintop and building trophy houses is the ultimate exercise in arrogant greed, I think the ridge tops should be left alone which looks like what is going to happen here. Probably the best we can expect...if it wasn't The Edge it would be someone else, although it is a bit surprising he would be so involved in an environmentally controversial development.

It's hard to witness any new development but often the people screaming the loudest are the ones who already have their piece of paradise which was probably built on sensitive habitat too. I've kind of given up on that whole LA area...millions of people living in a relative desert which without our water from Northern California couldn't exist for a week.

Here is a great New Yorker cartoon which has always put things in perspective and made me feel a little better about it all.

Date: December 15, 2015 23:29

dcba
The Edge's defense : "I may destroy Mother Nature one acre at a time but at least unlike Bono I never shook Bush Jr's hand! So don't point your finegr at me!" >grinning smiley<

Yes but he shook Obama's hand. What could possibly be worse?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 16, 2015 00:51

Stones50
dcba

Yes but he shook Obama's hand. What could possibly be worse?

snubbing is worse, I respect a guy who has no problem accepting a White House invitation from Obama, sitting down to talk with Mike Huckabee (who pardoned Keith Richards) and hanging with Glenn Beck. So What, I shook Jimmy Carter's hand as well as Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. Whatever....

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 16, 2015 01:01

Good for him!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 16, 2015 05:55

If he builds a dome shaped home, will it have a giant beanie cap
over it?

Date: December 16, 2015 06:32

Munichhilton
Ridiculous to point out Dave when hundreds of other developers are destroying even prettier lands all over the US...since its Malibu these estates are destined to fall over, burn down, get mudslid and sink into the swamp...a non story

Disagree. It's a pretty big deal here in L.A. Many other developers go elsewhere instead of trying to do what Evans has done for the last ten years. No surprise, but the guy is a massive hypocrite.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 16, 2015 07:40

And not much of a guitarist either. Without all those effects to marshal, he ain't much to listen to.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2015 16:51

Munichhilton

Yep. As if all the rest of the development in Malibu didn't happen.

Date: December 16, 2015 17:57

GasLightStreet
Munichhilton

Yep. As if all the rest of the development in Malibu didn't happen.

Both of you are missing the point. Certainly, parts of the area are already developed. When all that went up over the decades, no one ever did it under the pretense of "going green" and being eco-friendly. But things and requirements have changed. Evans has been insisting for years that mansions (only one of which could he occupy and not even then full time, as he has residences elsewhere too) will be operated "green" as well. While that last sentence in and of itself could be construed as an oxymoron, what he has refused to acknowledge over time is that there is no way in the world for them to be BUILT in a "green" way. The actual construction of these properties will destroy the very thing he says he will preserve. The roads necessary, the construction of all the necessary utilities to support five properties with a minimum square footage of over 7,000 each, the dirt to be moved along with other various and sundry construction necessities, will more than cancel out any "green" benefit once his project is completed. It's the old "to save the village we must destroy it" mentality. His entire enterprise is a monstrous joke.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 16, 2015 20:09

I wonder if he wears his stocking cap on the beach?

Date: December 16, 2015 20:15

swimtothemoon
I wonder if he wears his stocking cap on the beach?

LOL. He has while walking the property.

Date: December 16, 2015 21:12

I predict they will never get built.

It does show how silly water management is in California. You have people taking fewer showers and digging up their lawns to save water as others are building massive swimming pools that will only be used one week a year and farmers are growing rice in the middle of the desert.

Date: December 16, 2015 21:55

Turner68

It does show how silly water management is in California. You have people taking fewer showers and digging up their lawns to save water as others are building massive swimming pools that will only be used one week a year and farmers are growing rice in the middle of the desert.

Generally when someone has put enough money and resources to get as far as they have with this project, it will likely proceed as permitted and approved. If The Edge decides to pull out there are many developers who would be anxious to step in and finish the job. Building multiple residences on a single piece of real estate is still some one the best investment opportunities out there. The actual developing of the property is the easy part.

Date: December 16, 2015 22:01

Naturalust
Turner68

Generally when someone has put enough money and resources to get as far as they have with this project, it will likely proceed as permitted and approved. If The Edge decides to pull out there are many developers who would be anxious to step in and finish the job. Building multiple residences on a single piece of real estate is still some one the best investment opportunities out there. The actual developing of the property is the easy part.

Sure but as the article points out, the approval process isn't anywhere near being finished. For example he still needs approval to build a road to the houses, and LA County and the City of Malibu have yet to weight in. As the article mentions the permit is for 5 years instead of 2 because it is anticipated the process will take so long. Perhaps he will end up building it, but generally a minority of such projects actually get built; just as often the land gets flipped to someone else for an enormous profit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-16 22:09 by Turner68.

Date: December 16, 2015 22:43

Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68

Sure but as the article points out, the approval process isn't anywhere near being finished. For example he still needs approval to build a road to the houses, and LA County and the City of Malibu have yet to weight in. As the article mentions the permit is for 5 years instead of 2 because it is anticipated the process will take so long. Perhaps he will end up building it, but generally a minority of such projects actually get built; just as often the land gets flipped to someone else for an enormous profit.

Compared to The Coastal Commission, LA County and the City or Malibu will probably be a piece of cake, imo. Politicians are generally easier to pay off or negotiate with than the Commission. Anyway, who knows, here is another LATimes article about the project.

[www.latimes.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home