Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: Mixed emotions
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: December 15, 2015 21:46

Turner68
HMS
Rocks Off and All Down The Line (two of the better tracks on EOMS) are just like Mixed Emotions enjoyable guitar-driven Stones-tracks. Songwise ME is not worse than Rocks Off or All Down The Line, imo. It would perfectly fit in EOMS (Just like Sad Sad Sad).

i almost choked on my morning Rice Krispies when I read this.

Strange reaction. Come on, in what way All Down The Line or Rocks Off are better than Sad Sad Sad & Mixed Emotions? I´d go so far to say they are interchangeable. If they had written Sad Sad Sad & ME in 1972 and recorded them for EOMS they would fit like a hand in glove. People, stop mystifying EOMS...

Btw, the best up-tempo tracks of EOMS and the best up-tempo-tracks of Steel Wheels combined would make a hell of an album. Add Dirty Work and Had It You (maybe also Highwire) and you might get the best Stones-album ever.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 15, 2015 22:27

HMS
Turner68
HMS
Rocks Off and All Down The Line (two of the better tracks on EOMS) are just like Mixed Emotions enjoyable guitar-driven Stones-tracks. Songwise ME is not worse than Rocks Off or All Down The Line, imo. It would perfectly fit in EOMS (Just like Sad Sad Sad).

Strange reaction. Come on, in what way All Down The Line or Rocks Off are better than Sad Sad Sad & Mixed Emotions? I´d go so far to say they are interchangeable. If they had written Sad Sad Sad & ME in 1972 and recorded them for EOMS they would fit like a hand in glove. People, stop mystifying EOMS...

Btw, the best up-tempo tracks of EOMS and the best up-tempo-tracks of Steel Wheels combined would make a hell of an album. Add Dirty Work and Had It You (maybe also Highwire) and you might get the best Stones-album ever.

have you listened to rocks off? the horns in it are phenomenal. do you hear horns in "mixed emotions"? have you paid attention to the lyrics? "mixed emotions" is about a rich middle-aged rock star who can't make up his mind about something, most likely a woman (or his lead guitarist). "rocks off" is about alienation, frustration, loneliness, being let down, letting people down, and ennui in general. have you listened to the riffs in both songs? one of them is much more complex and varied than the other. what about the guitar fills? the changes in tempo in the songs?

"mixed emotions" is a half-hearted attempt to re-create the greatness that the stones had achieved around the time of EOMS. "rocks off" is that greatness. it's deeper and more complex both musically and lyrically. to the extent that you believe "mixed emotions" sounds like "rocks off", the Rolling Stones succeed magnificently in getting you to believe they still "had it".

personally, i am glad you enjoy Mixed Emotions, but that doesn't change my shock (and spilt rice kristies) at finding out you think it's comparable to what's on EOMS.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: December 16, 2015 00:45

Turner68
HMS
Turner68
HMS

have you listened to rocks off? the horns in it are phenomenal. do you hear horns in "mixed emotions"? have you paid attention to the lyrics? "mixed emotions" is about a rich middle-aged rock star who can't make up his mind about something, most likely a woman (or his lead guitarist). "rocks off" is about alienation, frustration, loneliness, being let down, letting people down, and ennui in general. have you listened to the riffs in both songs? one of them is much more complex and varied than the other. what about the guitar fills? the changes in tempo in the songs?

"mixed emotions" is a half-hearted attempt to re-create the greatness that the stones had achieved around the time of EOMS. "rocks off" is that greatness. it's deeper and more complex both musically and lyrically. to the extent that you believe "mixed emotions" sounds like "rocks off", the Rolling Stones succeed magnificently in getting you to believe they still "had it".

personally, i am glad you enjoy Mixed Emotions, but that doesn't change my shock (and spilt rice kristies) at finding out you think it's comparable to what's on EOMS.

Love your perfect description of Rocks Off, surely HMS has no response.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 16, 2015 11:38

Turner68
HMS
Turner68
HMS

thumbs up

Although I think they didn't even try to re-create the greatness of EOMS. They just tried for an easy to listen to middle of the road rock song. As such, they achieved to sound better than Chris Rea, Status Quo, Bryan Adams and other similar inferior acts.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 16, 2015 16:43

Turner68
HMS
Turner68
HMS

have you listened to rocks off?

The question is, has he ever listened to EOMS. Clearly not. Saying that Sad Sad Sad and Mixed Emotions being recorded in 1972 (which would be for GOATS HEAD SOUP and not EOMS but hey, why let facts get in the way) for EOMS is hilarious considering they would not've written such pedestrian songs then. And then the absurdity of taking the fast track from SW and Highwire...

Date: December 16, 2015 18:04

Okay, EOMS was not recorded in 1972, but they did final overdubs in 1972. Well, if they had written Sad Sad Sad & Mixed Emotions for GHS, both songs would be the highlights of this boring album.

"pedestrian songs"? EOMS got a fair share of pedestrian songs, some even superfluous.

Lately I´ve been listening to the up-tempo tracks of Steel wheels plus the fantastic Highwire and it gave me a real good time. To continue with the up-tempo tracks of Exile after a short break would be even more pleasing, I suppose. Any volunteers?

Date: December 16, 2015 18:11

Overdubbing is not recording new songs, it's overdubbing.

Highwire is a STEEL WHEELS leftover. Uptempo it ain't. STEEL WHEELS has an uptempo song on it but the song sucks.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 16, 2015 18:14

Speaking of mixed emoticons ...

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out thumbs down thumbs up smileys with beer >grinning smiley< smiling bouncing smiley eye rolling smileydrinking smiley eye popping smiley smoking smiley sad smiley smiling smiley moody smiley grinning smiley tongue sticking out smiley confused smiley angry smiley yawning smiley cool smiley

This one doesn't look like it belongs:
hot smiley

Date: December 16, 2015 18:38

GasLightStreet

Highwire is a STEEL WHEELS leftover. Uptempo it ain't. STEEL WHEELS has an uptempo song on it but the song sucks.

Sad Sad Sad, Highwire and Mixed Emotions are not what the average listener would call ballads, are they? Anyway, if you say they aren´t uptempo they aren´t.

Btw, the uptempo song on Steel Wheels is one of the very few reasons to listen to that album.

Date: December 16, 2015 18:45

HMS
GasLightStreet

Sad Sad Sad, Highwire and Mixed Emotions are not what the average listener would call ballads, are they? Anyway, if you say they aren´t uptempo they aren´t.

Btw, the uptempo song on Steel Wheels is one of the very few reasons to listen to that album.

Did I ever say those three songs are ballads? I see you're not paying attention again. I suppose if you compare Mixed Emotions to Ventilator... er, let's see, something you'd be familiar with; what could that be...

Alright, the awful bad and painfully slow Sweet Neo Con. Then comparatively, Mixed Emotions is "uptempo".

The fast song on STEEL WHEELS has been deleted and it is no reason to listen to the album. What difference does it make if a bad song is slow or bad? Bad is bad.

Date: December 17, 2015 17:03

GasLightStreet
The fast song on STEEL WHEELS has been deleted and it is no reason to listen to the album.

What song are you talking about?

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 17, 2015 17:08

HMS
Okay, EOMS was not recorded in 1972, but they did final overdubs in 1972. Well, if they had written Sad Sad Sad & Mixed Emotions for GHS, both songs would be the highlights of this boring album.

"pedestrian songs"? EOMS got a fair share of pedestrian songs, some even superfluous.

Lately I´ve been listening to the up-tempo tracks of Steel wheels plus the fantastic Highwire and it gave me a real good time. To continue with the up-tempo tracks of Exile after a short break would be even more pleasing, I suppose. Any volunteers?

Is there any doubt that Keith, Charlie, Bill, and Mick Taylor would have walked out of the studio if Mick J had tried to foist "Sad Sad Sad" and "Mixed Emotions" on them in 1972?

Date: December 17, 2015 17:30

Lots of doubt of course.
They probably would have cheered.
SSS and ME are the very same kind of songs you can find on Exile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-17 17:31 by HMS.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home