Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Track Talk: Tumbling Dice (New)
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2015 17:59

Mathijs
Probably the only song where Charlie has doubled himself on drums. It's not one track you are hearing, it is a double track.

I don't like it though that on new releases Jagger has decided to speed the track up -it is now running faster than it used to. The same with Miss You by the way.

Mathijs

I've never read that anywhere.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 18, 2015 18:02

Naturalust
Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version. Video from some rehearsal studio to begin with. Much thanks.

That B-side was fantastic. I really dug it. It was fast, too. The pre-show warm up edited on to the front...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-18 18:04 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 18, 2015 18:18

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
Maybe someone here can help me remember where that version of this song is that starts with just Chuck and the piano and everyone singing along and clapping jug band style then morphs into a full band version. Video from some rehearsal studio to begin with. Much thanks.

That B-side was fantastic. I really dug it. It was fast, too. The pre-show warm up edited on to the front...
That was on the Wild Horses CD single from Stripped. It also had Live With Me and the brilliant Paradiso version of Gimme Shelter:

"Gimme Shelter" ("Wild Horses" single) (live in Amsterdam on 26 May 1995)
"Tumbling Dice" ("Wild Horses" single) (live in Paris on 3 July 1995)
"Live with Me" ("Wild Horses" single) (live in London on 19 July 1995)

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 18, 2015 18:35

About the hypnotic riff. It has to be one of the best riffs ever. I completely understand why Keith could sit on chair, feet up, and repeat it for hours. You can do that on or off drugs. It is an absolutely addictive riff. It really feels great to play it and it almost feels essential and necessary to the art of guitar playing. Almost like a standardized guitar technique that one has to master to understand the many nuances between to chords. The perfect glue between the F# and the C#. confused smiley
The B-chord and the E-chord.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 10:43 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: November 18, 2015 21:39

GasLightStreet
Mathijs
Probably the only song where Charlie has doubled himself on drums. It's not one track you are hearing, it is a double track.

I don't like it though that on new releases Jagger has decided to speed the track up -it is now running faster than it used to. The same with Miss You by the way.

Mathijs

I found out about MY the hard way - while recording to the track on Rarities, the dance version.

I ended up recording 8 minutes with the out of tune-track smiling smiley

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 00:53

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Mathijs

Mathijs

I found out about MY the hard way - while recording to the track on Rarities, the dance version.

I ended up recording 8 minutes with the out of tune-track smiling smiley

on what currently sold issues are the original version intact?

Date: November 19, 2015 01:06

I think the sped-up versions are on the compilations. Probably to make room for more songs.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 19, 2015 01:11

with sssoul
DandelionPowderman
The song needs to be sung perfectly for it to work live ...

I'd actually love to hear it without any vocals at all.
I'd follow that hypnotic riff anywhere :E

Too bad Keith never played that hypnotic rhythm part live. He left too many holes in that part, played too loosy.

That said, personally the best live version is from 1995, from Wild Horses single/Stripped. It has the best tempo.

But no other version beats the studio album version!

Date: November 19, 2015 01:15

Muddyw
with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

Too bad Keith never played that hypnotic rhythm part live. He left too many holes in that part, played too loosy.

That said, personally the best live version is from 1995, from Wild Horses single/Stripped. It has the best tempo.

i think they all failed on the live versions - keith, the second guitarist, mick, etc. but i don't like any of the live version, which puts me in the minority.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: November 19, 2015 04:01

Not one of my favorites.

Boring to me.

I guess I'm in the minority.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 19, 2015 05:58

Tumbling Dice Brussels Affair 1973. Best live version I've ever heard. Rolling Stones at their best. Well to my old ears!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: pooroldgrandad ()
Date: November 19, 2015 06:06

GasLightStreet
Mathijs

Mathijs

First half was Charlie's double track, and after the breakdown in middle, Jimmy Miller played, said Andy Johns.

Let’s talk about “Tumbling Dice.”
Andy Johns: Obviously it was going to be great but it was a big struggle. Eventually we get a take. Hooray! I thought, ‘Let’s kick this up a notch and double track Charlie.’ ‘Oh, we’ve never done that before.’ ‘Well, it doesn’t mean we can’t do it now.’ So we double-tracked Charlie but he couldn’t play the ending. For some reason he got a mental block about the ending. So Jimmy Miller plays from the breakdown on out that was very easy to punch in. It was a little bit different than some of the others. That song we did more takes than anything else.

Full article:http://www.goldminemag.com

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 19, 2015 06:19

PhillyFAN
Tumbling Dice Brussels Affair 1973. Best live version I've ever heard. Rolling Stones at their best. Well to my old ears!

[youtu.be]

thumbs up!
No need for back-up singers with those gorgeous guitars--- Mick Taylor, Bill Wyman-
best live I've heard of the song too-

Date: November 19, 2015 07:41

i must be the only one who doesn't like the brussels affair tumbling dice that much. like miss you and gimme shelter, i think the track has never really been done as well live as it was in the studio.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2015 08:18

Turner68
i must be the only one who doesn't like the brussels affair tumbling dice that much. like miss you and gimme shelter, i think the track has never really been done as well live as it was in the studio.

Along with 90% of their other material historically speaking and 100% of the modern shows. smoking smiley As much as I love Stones concerts, take their average set list in 2015 and do a comparison for yourself. I can't find a single tune I don't prefer the studio cut.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:19

Naturalust
Turner68

Along with 90% of their other material historically speaking and 100% of the modern shows. smoking smiley As much as I love Stones concerts, take their average set list in 2015 and do a comparison for yourself. I can't find a single tune I don't prefer the studio cut.

You're a wise man Naturalust but that's not a popular opinion. ANd to paraphrase the great Doobie Michael McDonald: not even a wise man can remedy what a fool believes...Live, the Stones are charismatic hacks.

I understand the primordial joy of dancing and screaming at concerts but apart from ‘Going To A Go Go’ I don’t see much point in merely listening to their live stuff in my living room. The Greatest Rock N’ Roll Band in the...Studio, The Rolling Stones!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-19 09:24 by Swayed1967.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:23

Let me just add that (the studio version of) Tumbling Dice is pure magic. I rate it the sixth best song in their catalogue but the ending is unsurpassed.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 19, 2015 09:24

But sometimes I listens to:

Greatest Live-stuff on Earth...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: November 19, 2015 10:24

That song actually got me lost in the rolling stones....:-)
Though I didn't know a lot about the rcording. It comes to me as a surprise: Is that right MT is not playing any guitar parts.

Date: November 19, 2015 11:16

Muddyw
with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

But he did.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: November 19, 2015 12:20

the studio version is a masterpiece to me.

Keith's intro is gorgeous, maybe his best, and Mick's singing is one of his best vocal performance accompanied by great background vocals too.
I probably played a thousand times the guitar intro but have never been able to have this unique guitar sound which is extremely warm.

I like to play it very loud and invite all beginners to learn to play that special riff.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: November 19, 2015 15:12

DandelionPowderman
Muddyw
with sssoul
DandelionPowderman

But he did.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow, indeed he did! Then I must be confused with more recent performances?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 19, 2015 16:23

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

That was on the Wild Horses CD single from Stripped. It also had Live With Me and the brilliant Paradiso version of Gimme Shelter:

On the Stripped Companion boot as well as Rarities.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 19, 2015 16:40

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

As much as I love the beginning, that's the single most disappointing release the Stones ever had. It starts out like a fantastic soulful impromptu jam -- and instead of giving us the entire song with that beauty, that had to cut it off and insert the same-old same-old live version. Makes me want to scream! They never know when they have a great thing!

One of my multitude of problems with the entire Stipped release, and why it is near the bottom of my Stones album list!

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: November 19, 2015 17:50

LeonidP
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

As much as I love the beginning, that's the single most disappointing release the Stones ever had. It starts out like a fantastic soulful impromptu jam -- and instead of giving us the entire song with that beauty, that had to cut it off and insert the same-old same-old live version. Makes me want to scream! They never know when they have a great thing!

One of my multitude of problems with the entire Stipped release, and why it is near the bottom of my Stones album list!

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about that version. It's starts off really growing and poof right back to the same old version we all know. It's kinda anti-climatic.

Date: November 19, 2015 17:52

I had forgotten about it, and regret being reminded about it. No idea why they let that be released like that.

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: November 19, 2015 18:03

LeonidP
It starts out like a fantastic soulful impromptu jam

Stay quiet! It was only a Jagger dress rehearsal with with Chuck and Bernard, not really a Stones jam...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 19, 2015 19:25

PhillyFAN
LeonidP
keefriff99
GasLightStreet
Naturalust

I thought I was the only one that felt that way about that version. It's starts off really growing and poof right back to the same old version we all know. It's kinda anti-climatic.

Yeah it's nice to see there is some common sentiment about that version. It's strange that it has the opposite effect as intended! Anti-climatic is a good description. They really could have made it special by keeping it soulful and acoustic and slowly adding guitars, bass and other instruments..that would have been awesome. As soon as the whole band kicks it with that lousy edit it makes you feel like the song was just hijacked!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 19, 2015 19:53

Hey - it works as intended on me! I love it when the whole band kicks in
I guess I'm just putty in the Rolling Stones' hands ... which is fine with me :E

Date: November 19, 2015 19:55

with sssoul
Hey - it works as intended on me! I love it when the whole band kicks in
I guess I'm just putty in the Rolling Stones' hands ... which is fine with me :E

Of course it worked. Incredibly energic version, i.o.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1747
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home