Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Does the Riff Master still has it?
Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 8, 2015 02:14

Which one was the last Stones song with a memorable Richards Riff?
l can only think of "Start me up" and that was over 35 years ago,which begs the question what the hell happened?

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Re: Does the Riff Master still has it?
Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: November 8, 2015 02:17

Undercover of the Night

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 02:17

ROPENI
l can only think of "Start me up" and that was over 35 years ago,which begs the question what the hell happened?

Drugs.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: November 8, 2015 02:22

Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.
Don't think so,some of the best Richards stuff came out while he was totally @#$%& up.

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: November 8, 2015 02:24

ROPENI
Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.
Don't think so,some of the best Richards stuff came out while he was totally @#$%& up.

Maybe he meant lack of drugs. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 8, 2015 02:34

Do you mean: Does he still have it?

Date: November 8, 2015 02:37

Stoneage
Do you mean: Does he still have it?

Are you seriously complaining about grammar? This is a band that has released lyrics like:
- "I can't get NO satisfaction"
- "We don't care if you hound we / And love is all around we"
- "We love they"
- "Even though you're wearin' them citified high heels"

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 8, 2015 02:37

He obviously gave them all to Waddy for safe keeping. Perhaps Waddy will teach a few of them back to Keith in time for the new record. winking smiley

But seriously, Keith's heart, soul and playing has matured past the riff master phase. You want to know what he has to offer these days it's all there in black and white on Crosseyed Heart. Not sure why we should hold him to our own expectations of churning out memorable riffs, he's done his part. I'll be happy if he can just continue to play the ones he already wrote.

Date: November 8, 2015 02:49

She Saw Me Coming has a cool riff.

The last great classic riff must be Flip The Switch. IMO, It was played better in concert, though.

Date: November 8, 2015 02:55

ROPENI
Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.

they take their toll over the years, it's not as though you can go cold turkey and return to your original powers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 8, 2015 03:14

Turner68
ROPENI
Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.

they take their toll over the years, it's not as though you can go cold turkey and return to your original powers.

There's been several good riffs through the post Tattoo You years, Undercover of the Night, Saint of Me, SSMC, Doom & Gloom...just not sure how many we can attribute to the Riff Master.

Were these Keith's or his underlings?

Date: November 8, 2015 03:27

Only SSMC out of the songs you mentioned.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 8, 2015 03:43

ROPENI

ROPENI the next album will deliver the goods, patience...>grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 03:43 by Maindefender.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 8, 2015 08:07

Rough justice. But listen to Amnesia too.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 8, 2015 09:10

Take it so hard/How i wish/Wicked as it seems/You got me rocking/Flip the Switch/Rough Justice.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: November 8, 2015 16:24

pepganzo

Yep, Amnesia has it too. But the overall absence of memorable riffs is one thing that disappoints me about CH.

Drew

Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: November 8, 2015 16:28

I really like the guitar part from Let Me Down Slow...I think you could call it a riff. Anyway, Keith will always be THE riff master!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: November 8, 2015 16:48

drewmaster
pepganzo

Yep, Amnesia has it too. But the overall absence of memorable riffs is one thing that disappoints me about CH.

Drew

I think that he wanted to do a 'non keith richards thing' this time with CH. I mean that maybe he wanted to give more space, important to other musical stuff. In fact CH is close to be a country album than a rock album. Anyway also One More Shot has got a good riff. The problem is that in the last Stones' album the 'riff maker' is Mick and not Keith. I'm thinkin' about Doom and Gloom but not only.

Posted by: MacLaurens ()
Date: November 8, 2015 17:20

I agree that She Saw Me Coming is a really good riff

Date: November 8, 2015 17:40

He is an arthritic man in his 70s...what is the question even asking? Can he play like he used to, can he write like he used to?

No, of course not...what the hell is the expectation here?

He's great for what he is...he's done his time, he's made is (over) contributions...analyzing whether he's as good as before is ridiculous.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: November 8, 2015 17:42

For all of the lamenting on Keith's apparent inability to write memorable riffs over the past "X" years, how many have the rest of the Stones come up with? How many riffs haven't received the time necessary to mature into great Stones riffs?

Sure, it would be great if the Stones still were delivering 4 hit singles a year. They're not. Not collectively or individually. They haven't been for a while now and probably never will again. Blame whomever you like for that. Realistically, I have a feeling it's a combination of factors from all sides of the Stones that has limited, and will continue to limit the output going forward.

To take a view that the sole reason we haven't heard many memorable riffs from the Stones over the past "x" years, is simply to do with whether or not Keith "still has it", is pretty simplistic from my point of view.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2015 17:47

DandelionPowderman
She Saw Me Coming has a cool riff.

The last great classic riff must be Flip The Switch. IMO, It was played better in concert, though.

I was going to offer She Saw Me Coming as something that reveals that he "still has it".

Perhaps the issue that has now been understood better is what the hell happened on the BANG tour. Clearly the bashing the head ordeal's resulting medication has been a big factor but he wasn't exactly brilliant pre-head injury on that tour either.

That grinding lick in Flip The Switch was brilliant live, the way he made it really screech. But the studio version is still stellar.

Start Me Up isn't so much more of a riff than Low Down or Love Is Strong or even, uh, what's it called... One More Shot. Aside from the drums kicking off Love Is Strong, and someone correct this if it's wrong - since VOODOO LOUNGE only 3 songs have a Keith riff starting the song:

Low Down
She Saw Me Coming
One More Shot

It's just that Start Me Up is considered the last "classic riff" because it was the last big hit. What I'm not sure about is if he's had any "classic riffs" since then because... what does that mean? I'd say yes because when I hear certain songs, like She Saw Me Coming, I know exactly who it is.

I suppose you could include Rough Justice but that's not a riff, it's part of the progression used as an intro. Same thing with It Won't Take Long.

Pre-VOODOO you have to go back to UNDERCOVER to find a Keith riff opening the tune, which happens on She Was Hot, All The Way Down and It Must Be Hell.

Posted by: mudbone ()
Date: November 8, 2015 17:54

SSMC must be his worst..the only one i can think of I really dislike. When I first heard it ...it just annoyed me. still does.

I think You got me rocking is his last powerhouse riff that delivers all the excitment and energy that the classic ones do.

between start me up and ygmr...it's hard to think of one. He has all these great lilttle riffs of course..but the larger than life riffs is what makes him unique

Good songs yes, but we're talking riffs here.

I think this is about it..super high octane riffs. doesn't get any better..

1.satisfaction
2.JJF
3.Live with me
4.Monkey man
5.Gimme shelter
6.HTW
7.Start me up
8.Brown Sugar
9.All down the line
10.Can't you hear me knocking
11.Tumbling Dice
12.You got me rocking

so..one from the eighties, one from the nineties..o from the oo's. Maybe he still has one up his sleeve..who knows. But Lord knows he's given enough to be the one and only King of the R'n R opening riff..Long live KR!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-08 17:57 by mudbone.

Date: November 8, 2015 17:55

BreakingBlues
Undercover of the Night

That's Mick.

Date: November 8, 2015 17:56

treaclefingers
Turner68
ROPENI
Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.

There's been several good riffs through the post Tattoo You years, Undercover of the Night, Saint of Me, SSMC, Doom & Gloom...just not sure how many we can attribute to the Riff Master.

Those are all Mick riffs... with Mick playing them! Only She Saw Me Coming is Keith!

Date: November 8, 2015 17:58

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Turner68
ROPENI
Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.

Those are all Mick riffs... with Mick playing them! Only She Saw Me Coming is Keith!

feigning ignorance is my strong suit.

Date: November 8, 2015 18:53

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
Turner68
ROPENI
Turner68
ROPENI

Drugs.

Ronnie plays the riff on UOTN. Keith plays the open G chords.

Date: November 8, 2015 19:06

It's amusing that people feel they need to defend Mick when others get excited about "Crosseyed Heart" and suggest that Mick could step up his game a bit, and yet there is a whole thread dedicated to whether Keith still "has it" and has contributed great riffs since 1981 and we all discuss it calmly. Double standard?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2015 19:21

Apologies in advance for another "Art" analogy, but...

Look at the young Rembrandt - masterpiece painting with precision and attention to detail that still baffles and amazes viewers nearly 400 years later.

Then look at the old Rembrandt - masterpiece paintings with a haphazard and 'sloppier' touch that still baffles and amazes viewers nearly 400 years later.

Of course Keith still has it, albeit a bit more haphazard and perhaps 'sloppier', but the gist of it is still there in all it's glory.

Date: November 8, 2015 19:22

Does the Riff Master sill has it? sounds like the kind of question you hear in New Orleans.

That's mine?

I can has that?

What that is?

Who that be?

Etc.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2215
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home