Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13
Re: Keith to honor Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Date: October 23, 2015 22:03

mr_dja
Review from The Guardian

Link above to the whole thing. The headline & part about Keith below:

A Great Night In Harlem review – ramshackle Keith Richards tops jazz benefit bill

The third dedicated part of the show was a tribute to the courage of New Orleans soul singer Merry Clayton, in the aftermath of her injuries following a serious car crash in 2014. Her most significant performance was on Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, and Keith Richards was on hand to lead his X-Pensive Winos in a climactic salute by playing that very song.

He makes ragged ruggedness into a fine art, engagingly ramshackle as his riffs didn’t quite mesh with those of fellow axeman Waddy Wachtel, tunings slipping, his vocals an earthy contrast to the pristine soul cutting of Lisa Fischer. Yet Richards is so magnetic that he can shrug off any problems, including the disintegrating drumkit behind him, clanging riffs with his guitar held up in cello position. His vocals on Happy were roughshod, but supported by one of the best grinding soul-rock songs ever penned. His struck poses remain supremely casual, skeletal and perfectly judged. “I’m all for improvisation, you know me,” he drawled, in support of the jazz way, closing the show with its genuine high point, projecting right up to both levels of the Apollo’s steep balconies.

Peace,
Mr DJA

grinning smiley thumbs up

Re: Keith honoring Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:05

Don't think we are gonna get better than the RollingStone page videos but still keepin' my eyes open.
Wish there was a full Merry Clayton acceptance video. thumbs up

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 11:16 by crawdaddy.

Re: Keith at the Apollo
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:07

Beast
with sssoul
Who spoke about her before that? What did they say?
What was the medal Keith got at the end of the show?
And other trenchant questions :E

They say at the end of the Happy audio on youtube that it's a Keith Richards/Robert Johnson medal for saving jazz and blues.

And judging by that audio, the crowd were indeed extremely HaPpy...

Here's Merry Clayton speech: [soundcloud.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:08

Ohh thank you Cristiano!

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:12

with sssoul
crawdaddy
[youtu.be]

THanks crawdaddy! [peering hard] CloudCat, is that you dancing in the lower left, before the man with a phone steps in?

yes that is me ( eye rolling smiley )

a gentleman came down to my row to video and i asked if was periscoping he said that indeed he was.

i thought it was a beautiful set --
first of all, to see mr. keith richards in a theatre
second, to hear him sing on gimmie shelter
third, to wonder what all those folks who say that he cannot sing and play guitar at the same time will say now
fourth, laughing like crazy that happy was the second tune
fifth, to see his joy
sixth, to save one of the parisians who also came to sit in my row from tumbling over the balcony in his ecstatic excitement to be a part of the experience,
seventh, to really love watching happy,
eighth, to see him subtly acknowledge his family in the audience
ninth, that he said "and all that jazz" when talking about the show
tenth, that it was at the apollo theatre!

interesting that there was not a scarf or a headband in sight!

in a part of the sonny rollins tribute, there was alex bass on stand-up bass and he was playing like a crazy man! amazing!! and it was lovely to hear what Sonny Rollins had to say.

Ivan Neville was wonderful as always There was an interesting pre-show blues singer

my eyes are open today under severe protest

it was a swell show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 22:35 by CloudCat.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()

My pleasure, sssoul! Now I'm working on the RS videos. winking smiley

35love
and has anybody helped sssoul? She seen it yet? Help a sister out there.

Why thank you darlin - very sweet of you to care! I have looked at several youtube clips of the performance -
I even think I spotted Cloudcat in one of them! - but I can't figure out why the RS page is frozen for me.
It'll be okay - but I am truly touched that you care.

Edit: Eek - see above: I did! I did! I did spot a CloudCat! How fun :E
I'm glad you had a wonderful time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 22:24 by with sssoul.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:22

Naturalust
keefriffhards

I think you may be a bit biased when it comes to the Stones NL and i admire you for your loyalty towards them. But its misguided loyalty, they have become a circus act, if you watch Mick Live like i have done since 89' i know exactly every move he will make, where he will walk and turn and skip, go over this way and that way lift his hands and clap then down this side and that side yawn yawn, i'm just done with it. Why cant he just stand there and sing properly with the band instead of showing every one his aerobic workout. I found Keith's 2 songs last night more thrilling than a whole Stones show. Sorry but someone has to say it ..

Perhaps I am a bit biased when it comes to the Stones. One of the reasons is that no matter how predictable the set lists have become each time I have seen them live it still gives me a genuine thrill and I end up renewing my bias all over again, often for different reasons. As a band they are still producing some kick ass live rock and roll, the very essence of which it present in spades every time they take the stage. I wasn't watching, only listening last night and maybe I'm just a product of my own expectations but the music didn't really stand up for me. Yes, a few moments of good mixed with more of just wondering what was wrong. To use the train analogy several people have here, it spent more time off the tracks than on them, something that doesn't ever happen at a Stones show.

As MonkeyMan2000 says, it's highly probably that Keith's group could have pulled it together better with more rehearsals, it was a quick pick up band after all. But contrarily, how much rehearsal does Keith really need to play GS and Happy? I also understand the excitement of seeing Keith in another setting for people who are bored with the Stones or "done with" Mick Jagger as you have said. I too would welcome another Keith tour but he's going to have to do better than last night to get me to actually pay to go see him. To be honest, I've seen local bar bands recently who's performance put last nights to shame. So yes it was exciting and entertaining, but perhaps for the wrong reasons.

Finally, I think it was truly too bad Keith didn't play a song from his new record! No only was Happy not a good fit for the essence of the Jazz Foundation and the Merry Clayton tribute, we have all been very anxious to see him play one live and considering we are still celebrating the release, it was quite a missed opportunity, imo. I can't help thinking they choose Happy just to make it easier and more comfortable for Keith, since it is one of a couple songs he has played live so often recently.

The band behind Keith yesterday played like in 1988. But we all know Keith isn't the same anymore. The band has to support him more, imo. Ronnie and Chuck do that with the Stones. That's why there aren't many "dangerous" moments. But if Keith is leading a band, he needs a lot of support these days. The Winos just have to know how to work with the "recent" Keith and then Keith could just concentrate on singing, play a few riffs and then sing again, like he does with the Stones. We must not forget that the band, in that combination, hasn't played live since 1993. It's not just Keith's fault. They would get better each night.

I mean, it wasn't bad at all yesterday. It was more fun, more soulful, more rock'n'roll, more Rolling Stones, than any Stones show of the past few years. But I think Keith and the Winos have the potential to be a lot better.

Edit: Maybe i exaggerate a bit, there are some moments, where the true Rolling Stones show up, like Street Fighting Man in Kansas City this year. If that's the case, no one can beat them.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-23 23:07 by MonkeyMan2000.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: October 23, 2015 22:53

I've watched both songs a couple times now and I'm sure it was a blast if you were there - and overall they're pretty good, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Keith's 'lead' at about the 4:45 mark on the RS footage during GS. OMG - I don't think I've ever heard anyone, ever, totally blow a solo as badly. Just totally the wrong key. Ouch! Like I said -other than that, pretty fun stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 05:16 by DEmerson.

Date: October 23, 2015 23:10

DEmerson
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Keith's 'lead' at about the 4:45 mark on the RS footage during G?

Several of us have mentioned it, DEm dear. I called it "a wonky bit" if memory serves.
Yes indeed, Keith looked down and all the dots on that fretboard were in the wrong place! eye popping smiley
Krazee stuff this rock & roll - and the sound of the number was thunderously beautiful anyway.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 23, 2015 23:14

DEmerson
I've watched both songs a couple times now and I'm sure it was a blast if you were there - and overall they're pretty good, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Keith's 'lead' at about the 4:45 mark on the RS footage during G? OMG - I don't think I've ever heard anyone, ever, totally blow a solo as badly. Just totally the wrong key. Ouch! Like I said -other than that, pretty fun stuff.

Hey he was improvising man, those were his jazz notes. lol.

Date: October 23, 2015 23:26

DEmerson
I've watched both songs a couple times now and I'm sure it was a blast if you were there - and overall they're pretty good, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Keith's 'lead' at about the 4:45 mark on the RS footage during G? OMG - I don't think I've ever heard anyone, ever, totally blow a solo as badly. Just totally the wrong key. Ouch! Like I said -other than that, pretty fun stuff.

I mentioned it. There's nothing new that Keith plays a part of his solo off key, is it? winking smiley

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 24, 2015 00:07

with sssoul
35love
and has anybody helped sssoul? She seen it yet? Help a sister out there.

Why thank you darlin - very sweet of you to care! I have looked at several youtube clips of the performance -
I even think I spotted Cloudcat in one of them! - but I can't figure out why the RS page is frozen for me.
It'll be okay - but I am truly touched that you care.

Edit: Eek - see above: I did! I did! I did spot a CloudCat! How fun :E
I'm glad you had a wonderful time
If you figure out why the RS pages are frozen for you, you will be blown away by how much better they are than the youtube clips.

Re: Keith honors Merry Clayton at "A Great Night In Harlem", October 22
Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: October 24, 2015 00:13

Am I the only one who thinks Keith's comment" I'm all for improvisation, you know me"is his tongue in cheek way of commenting on his frequent near disasters? Keith making fun of himself. You gotta love the man. My take only.

Date: October 24, 2015 00:19

KatieGirl
Am I the only one who thinks Keith's comment" I'm all for improvisation, you know me"
is his tongue in cheek way of commenting on his frequent near disasters? Keith making fun of himself.
You gotta love the man.

Nope, you're not alone KatieGirl!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2015 00:48

with sssoul
KatieGirl
Am I the only one who thinks Keith's comment" I'm all for improvisation, you know me"
is his tongue in cheek way of commenting on his frequent near disasters? Keith making fun of himself.
You gotta love the man.

That's the way I understood it as well, and wasn't that the part when he let out a honking loud laugh?
Or maybe it was when was talking about the 'creme' de la creme' in the building?
I'll have to watch and/or listen again later... thumbs up

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 24, 2015 00:50

Keith, Steve Jordan, Waddy Wachtel, Ivan Neville, Willie Weeks paying tribute to Merry Clayton at the Jazz Foundation of America

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 24, 2015 02:33

with sssoul
KatieGirl
You gotta love the man.

that's definitely what he meant!

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: October 24, 2015 02:55

Just listened through Rolling Stone magazine site:

Fn Keith is just awesome! A little rough, a little off, very raw having fun kick ass Rock n Roll by Keith! He barely kept it on the tracks. Great song, great performance.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 24, 2015 03:42

Just listened to Gimme Shelter smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 24, 2015 04:13

I liked Keith's "creme de la creme" comment and when that didn't bring a big reaction, he followed it with "or all that jazz."

I guess expectations have a lot to do with reactions. Mine weren't that high. I thoroughly enjoyed it, wonky bits and all. Correct, DP, not so unusual, that. I would have almost preferred that GS be played as an instrumental with no vocals, (horrors!) despite the great lyrics. I agree too that the back up band would get much better in itself and integrated with Keith as they go along with more shows.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: October 24, 2015 05:57

I thought he was talking about improvising his speech.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 24, 2015 08:00

Naturalust
keefriffhards
Don't get me wrong the Stones are still the best band in the world, i don't doubt that for a second. The energy when they perform is still there, and they clearly still love what they do. But, and its a big but, they could easily be so much better. They could switch 5 songs every night and start a tour with 10 new songs from the back catalogue that they have not performed in a long long time.

Yes of course they could, there have been mounds of discussion about it here over the years, but the die seems to be set for the Stones. Keith on the other hand could have played Just a Gift or perhaps Lover's Plea or Nothing On Me last night and instead choose two Stones songs which he has played hundreds of times before. Perhaps Keith is the one unwilling to take set list chances. winking smiley

That guardian review was interesting: Ramshackle, ragged, riffs not meshing, tunings slipping, roughshod vocals...but concluding it's all good because it was Keith. I think that's the bottom line, we are willing to give Keith a whole lots of latitude because of who he is and what he has already given us over the years. I love the guy dearly and am just grateful he's still around to talk about actually. Don't mean to be so negative about last night, truly sorry if that offends some people.

Offended, no. But disappointed that you always feel the need to play devil's advocate and shine the spotlight on all the reasons why people shouldn't have liked something that many clearly did (just in case they hadn't noticed and had accidentally enjoyed it - that can't be allowed). But I guess that's the job of a critic - and you do it so eloquently and so often that you almost have me persuaded that things were indeed as dreadful as you say they were - until I listen again and my blessed cloth ears tell me that I'm happy hearing this.

(edits because of accidentally posting before I'd finished)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-24 08:09 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 24, 2015 08:23

Well...it's basically an X-Pensive Winos reunion with Willie Weeks on Bass who
played with Keith in Ronnie's Band...the New Barbarians.

I think this is Keith's way of pulling together the X-Pensive Winos under
a different cover...kind of tricking them to get back together.

I hope it works!

Pecman

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 24, 2015 09:17

CloudCat
with sssoul
crawdaddy
[youtu.be]

THanks crawdaddy! [peering hard] CloudCat, is that you dancing in the lower left, before the man with a phone steps in?

yes that is me ( eye rolling smiley )

a gentleman came down to my row to video and i asked if was periscoping he said that indeed he was.

i thought it was a beautiful set --
first of all, to see mr. keith richards in a theatre
second, to hear him sing on gimmie shelter
third, to wonder what all those folks who say that he cannot sing and play guitar at the same time will say now
fourth, laughing like crazy that happy was the second tune
fifth, to see his joy
sixth, to save one of the parisians who also came to sit in my row from tumbling over the balcony in his ecstatic excitement to be a part of the experience,
seventh, to really love watching happy,
eighth, to see him subtly acknowledge his family in the audience
ninth, that he said "and all that jazz" when talking about the show
tenth, that it was at the apollo theatre!

interesting that there was not a scarf or a headband in sight!

in a part of the sonny rollins tribute, there was alex bass on stand-up bass and he was playing like a crazy man! amazing!! and it was lovely to hear what Sonny Rollins had to say.

Ivan Neville was wonderful as always There was an interesting pre-show blues singer

my eyes are open today under severe protest

it was a swell show!

Nice!
Sounds like a great time was had, and nice to hear about all the fun from someone who was actually there in person!
Seeing Keith live and saving a Parisian...all in a days work.
Thanks for the first hand account. thumbs up

Date: October 24, 2015 12:17

Green Lady
Offended, no. But disappointed that you always feel the need to play devil's advocate and shine the spotlight
on all the reasons why people shouldn't have liked something that many clearly did
(just in case they hadn't noticed and had accidentally enjoyed it - that can't be allowed).
But I guess that's the job of a critic - and you do it so eloquently and so often that you almost have me persuaded
that things were indeed as dreadful as you say they were - until I listen again and my blessed cloth ears
tell me that I'm happy hearing this.

That was beautifully said, Green Lady!

"You do not have to love a work of art or a style in order to criticize it,
but you need to understand its attraction for someone who does. ...
Criticism has no significance and no importance if it is not accompanied by understanding -
and that implies the comprehension of at least the possibility of love."
- Charles Rosen

(Not that I think our friend NL lacks understanding! Just ... I like that quote)

Posted by: alexander paul ()
Date: October 24, 2015 12:18

Can anyone download and/or place the pro-shot videos of Keith at You Tube?

[www.rollingstone.com]

Alex.

Date: October 24, 2015 12:30

Thanks & praises to Cristiano for letting me see the Rolling Stone versions, finally!
Some of the youtube clips from farther back did better at conveying the thunderousness of Shelter, I think.
But I'm relieved to see little Sarah Dash had her own mic in that huddle with her tall colleagues
and it's very sweet to see Keith flirting with her just like at Winos shows :E

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 24, 2015 12:31

DandelionPowderman
Keith fired away a little solo a fret off, but that's only rock'n'roll.

Lovely version. Majestic thumbs up

Yup, with the exception of that little faux pas, that was otherwise a great version of Shelter 'outside of the Stones'.

Forgetting about that little 'one fret off' cock-up for a minute, it otherwise illustrates his superlative skills as a RHYTHM guitar player.

His use of empty space against the background of bass n' drums has no equal, when he decides to 'fill that space' with something or other, it's more often than not very little indeed - maybe just a single downstroke, or a whacking great downstroke followed by a lesser upstroke. But the superb timing of it, coupled with that extraordinary guitar tone that he gets ... it enhances the song out of all proportion. THAT is the genius of Keith Richards in my opinion ....

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 24, 2015 12:45

alexander paul
Can anyone download and/or place the pro-shot videos of Keith at You Tube?

[www.rollingstone.com]

Alex.

Not at the moment ,but I hope they will appear on RollingStone youtube channel soon.
The other clips are mainly pretty good though and cover different angles and vary in sound quality.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 9 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home