Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Jack White as Stones Producer
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: October 10, 2015 13:57

I think speculating about who could or should produce the next Stones album is a little premature. I'm more concerned about the dreadful songs they are likely to record. If it is anything like the last two Stones albums then they may as well get a deaf monkey to produce it because it will be pointless.

Unless some miracle occurs and jagger and Richards actually get together for an extended period to write something and it's something with more than the usual 5 string suspended chord riffs which have been recycled a million times, then it is largely going to be another ABB, which was simply dreadful and embarrasing at the same time.

Ronnie has consistently proved to be the better song writer over the last decade and maybe they should collaborate with him more. I think Keith's new offering could have been massively improved with Ronnie's input.

The days of great Stones albums are long long gone and whilst they can still put on a great show, for these few remaining years they should quit recording new material which only sells to the faithful fools like us.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 10, 2015 16:17

Oh no, not another ABB again eye popping smiley
It's aaaawfuuuul baaaad

Date: October 10, 2015 16:42

Poor songs like 'Sweet neo con' or 'Look what the cat...' would have been the same even with the best producer of all time!

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: October 10, 2015 17:29

I would not consider "Look What The Cat Dragged In" as a poor song. Indeed it´s one of the best and most powerful songs you can find on ABB, imo.

ABB isn´t bad at all. I like it more than any other post-DW-production. The album got it´s share of fillers, tough. And it´s got Street Of Love, which always makes me feel ashamed for Mick n Keith. Ashamed for Mick writing such crap and ashamed for Keith letting Mick get away with that. Besides that, the album should satisfy the needs of most Stones-fans.

Date: October 10, 2015 17:37

Well if and when they do decide to go back in the studio...or separate studios as the case may be...why can't they produce it themselves ? With a few assistants thrown in I'm sure the GLimmer Twins are more than capable of such a task. It won't sell hugely so what's to lose.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:37

crumbling_mice
I think speculating about who could or should produce the next Stones album is a little premature. I'm more concerned about the dreadful songs they are likely to record. If it is anything like the last two Stones albums then they may as well get a deaf monkey to produce it because it will be pointless.

Unless some miracle occurs and jagger and Richards actually get together for an extended period to write something and it's something with more than the usual 5 string suspended chord riffs which have been recycled a million times, then it is largely going to be another ABB, which was simply dreadful and embarrasing at the same time.

Ronnie has consistently proved to be the better song writer over the last decade and maybe they should collaborate with him more. I think Keith's new offering could have been massively improved with Ronnie's input.

The days of great Stones albums are long long gone and whilst they can still put on a great show, for these few remaining years they should quit recording new material which only sells to the faithful fools like us.

I think it's important to get a guy who dares tell them that they can do better. Jack White, as I've read, is one of those guys. So bring him on.
It'd be nice if they surprised us with something that's not usual. Like for example no Keith songs, a 10 track album, precious few rockers, 1 or 2 open G songs, a cover song and a Ronnie tune.
Keith has had at least 1 song per album since what? Some Girls? Break that tradition. All albums since Steel Wheels has been a tad too long. Break that tradition too. The best Stones albums has only a few rockers. Emulate that, to make them stand out in contrast to slower songs. Most Stones albums from the past 25 years has a lot of open g songs. Break that tradition. There's been no covers on albums since Dirty Work. Let's have a Berry song lads. And let Ronnie do one.
Oh, and let Keith do a piano song, and in general have the 4 of them do various things like percussion and bass duties.
We're thinking outside the box here. Have JW to make sure the writings up to standard, and then I'm sure we'll get a good one.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 11, 2015 12:45

KRiffhard
Poor songs like 'Sweet neo con' or 'Look what the cat...' would have been the same even with the best producer of all time!

This is true. SNC and LWTC are the worst tracks from A Bigger Bang.
But imo this is a good album. thumbs up

Date: October 11, 2015 13:24

JumpingKentFlash
crumbling_mice

I think it's important to get a guy who dares tell them that they can do better. Jack White, as I've read, is one of those guys. So bring him on.
It'd be nice if they surprised us with something that's not usual. Like for example no Keith songs, a 10 track album, precious few rockers, 1 or 2 open G songs, a cover song and a Ronnie tune.
Keith has had at least 1 song per album since what? Some Girls? Break that tradition. All albums since Steel Wheels has been a tad too long. Break that tradition too. The best Stones albums has only a few rockers. Emulate that, to make them stand out in contrast to slower songs. Most Stones albums from the past 25 years has a lot of open g songs. Break that tradition. There's been no covers on albums since Dirty Work. Let's have a Berry song lads. And let Ronnie do one.
Oh, and let Keith do a piano song, and in general have the 4 of them do various things like percussion and bass duties.
We're thinking outside the box here. Have JW to make sure the writings up to standard, and then I'm sure we'll get a good one.

thumbs up

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 11, 2015 18:46

I would be interested in a Ric Ruben style production like he did with Johnny Cash. Not the cover idea but the seriousness and sparseness Ruben conveys.

Date: October 11, 2015 18:57

DoomandGloom
I would be interested in a Ric Ruben style production like he did with Johnny Cash. Not the cover idea but the seriousness and sparseness Ruben conveys.

...and like he did with Mick on Wandering Spirit. thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 11, 2015 19:15

KRiffhard
DoomandGloom

...and like he did with Mick on Wandering Spirit. thumbs up

Sadly, Mick clashed with Rick Rubin and took it all into his own hands for the most part...
the results were pretty much as expected - inferior.

What DoomandGloom was referring to was the seriousness and sparseness Ruben conveyed with Johnny Cash.
The two had mutual respect and admiration for eachother, which wasn't the case when Ruben worked with Mick.
And I don't think it would work if he were to produce the Stones either - Ruben might even refuse after his previous experience with Mick.

Nice interview here where Rick talks about recording with Johnny Cash:

Rick Ruben/Johnny Cash

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: October 11, 2015 19:54

Who is the modern day Jimmy Miller? Very hard to say who can achieve respect from the Glimmers. Don Was is aweful. Believe me T Bone ain't the guy, he likes his team of musicians and isn't a band guy. The Stones need a peer, John Paul Jones, Paul Samwell Smith ???... Maybe too many old... Jeff Lynn would continue the slop parade. Probably the most qualified people are posters here at IORR but there is a lot of "paperwork" that comes with the job.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2015 20:01

HMS
I would not consider "Look What The Cat Dragged In" as a poor song. Indeed it´s one of the best and most powerful songs you can find on ABB, imo.

ABB isn´t bad at all. I like it more than any other post-DW-production. The album got it´s share of fillers, tough. And it´s got Street Of Love, which always makes me feel ashamed for Mick n Keith. Ashamed for Mick writing such crap and ashamed for Keith letting Mick get away with that. Besides that, the album should satisfy the needs of most Stones-fans.

LWTCDI is a powerful song?

I guess that means One More Shot is the new millennium's equivalent of Gimme Shelter.

Date: October 11, 2015 20:38

JumpingKentFlash
crumbling_mice

The days of great Stones albums are long long gone and whilst they can still put on a great show, for these few remaining years they should quit recording new material which only sells to the faithful fools like us.[/quote

Great post, you've persauded me that there is still a possible last classic Stones album. I'm sick to death of hearing that 5 string suspended chord ...Keith's owned that sound but he has other weapons in his armoury which are getting overlooked in favour of the formulaic...I'd love to hear him given a piano number or another Chuck Berry like Nadine. Why do I think it won't happen?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 11, 2015 20:51

JumpingKentFlash
Have JW to make sure the writings up to standard, and then I'm sure we'll get a good one.

And if they're not what's JW going to say? "Go back to the drawing board guys, these songs suck". "Come back when you have some better material" LOL

My best hope is that they have saved some of the best for what will probably be their last. And that they have so many of them that someone like Jack can help pick out the ones which will truly make the record a classic.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:15

treaclefingers
HMS

I guess that means One More Shot is the new millennium's equivalent of Gimme Shelter.

So LWTCDI is NOT a powerful song?
I´m lost for words.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 11, 2015 21:17

HMS
treaclefingers
HMS

So LWTCDI is NOT a powerful song?
I´m lost for words.

As was Mick when he came up with the lyrics.

Date: October 11, 2015 21:22

Would you rather consider it a balladsmiling smiley

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 11, 2015 22:01

Hairball
[

Sadly, Mick clashed with Rick Rubin and took it all into his own hands for the most part...
the results were pretty much as expected - inferior.

Ruben might even refuse after his previous experience with Mick.

Rick Ruben/Johnny Cash

wtf?...it's pretty much critically and universally agreed that Wandering Spirit is a high water mark with regards to his solo ventures....as far as Ruben refusing....wtf part 2....The Glimmers are arguably one of the best song writing duo's in rock/pop history and you think there aren't a billion producers including Ruben that wouldn't work with them?...complete rubbish....they are probably begged multiple times on a daily basis for an opportunity to produce them

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 11, 2015 23:50

Hairball do you really mean Wandering Spirit is a bad album?
I think it,s the best album since Tattoo You

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2015 02:46

Here's my reply to the above two posts (kill two birds with one stone): NO COMMENT.

But they did make me laugh, thanks....

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: October 12, 2015 04:38

Naturalust
And if they're not what's JW going to say? "Go back to the drawing board guys, these songs suck". "Come back when you have some better material" LOL

Well, why not? Maybe some people would just as soon not produce an album full of material they don't think is first rate. So he doesn't get to produce a Stones record. If it's not a good Stones record, maybe that's not such a big loss.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: October 12, 2015 07:34

If the Stones were considering a change, Jack would be a very interesting choice.

Jack White is into old time blues. He is in multiple great bands. He makes interesting instruments out of cigar boxes and broom sticks...He has done some really interesting things with Neil Young. He can play killer guitar.

Honestly , this would be a great matchup and we would all get a really rocking album.

Date: October 12, 2015 07:48

bassaleman
If the Stones were considering a change, Jack would be a very interesting choice.

Jack White is into old time blues. He is in multiple great bands. He makes interesting instruments out of cigar boxes and broom sticks...He has done some really interesting things with Neil Young. He can play killer guitar.

Honestly , this would be a great matchup and we would all get a really rocking album.

thumbs up

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: October 12, 2015 11:43

KRiffhard
bassaleman

thumbs up
thumbs up

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: October 12, 2015 12:24

I think Jack White would bring a (re-)new)ed) artistic ambition to the project and both Mick and Keith clearly respect him artistically, which would make things easier.
I remember White saying in an interview a couple of years ago that he would love for the Stones to focus on their blues roots in any new album and and that he would love to produce them. So there's that.

Without kniwing much about technicalities of recoring and preoducing I also think, as it was mentioned earlier, an important aspect of any new album would be the mix of instruments and vocals. It would be nice to even Mick more into the sound, instead of laying his vocals to loud on top of the band's mix. It would be great to loosen up their sound again, not focussing on guitar work as heavily as on parts of ABB, but to introduce more playful elements again (use of piano, horns) to make it all more soulful. To make a long story short, more roll, less rock would be great.

Here's the short video of their ROlling Stone cover shoot in 2008 (look at Keith and Mick saying goodbye at the end winking smiley )

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: October 12, 2015 15:06

"I remember White saying in an interview a couple of years ago that he would love for the Stones to focus on their blues roots in any new album and and that he would love to produce them"

...and someone don't want him as new producer eye rolling smiley
JW is the best choice.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 12, 2015 21:27

crumbling_mice
JumpingKentFlash
crumbling_mice

The days of great Stones albums are long long gone and whilst they can still put on a great show, for these few remaining years they should quit recording new material which only sells to the faithful fools like us.[/quote

Great post, you've persauded me that there is still a possible last classic Stones album. I'm sick to death of hearing that 5 string suspended chord ...Keith's owned that sound but he has other weapons in his armoury which are getting overlooked in favour of the formulaic...I'd love to hear him given a piano number or another Chuck Berry like Nadine. Why do I think it won't happen?

This is just what I think should happen. A lot of things would have to come together for us to get this. But JW is certainly a step in the right direction, and time is of the essence since this one is very likely to be their last hurrah album-wise.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:14

Hairball everything you come up with is total bullshit.
Who do you think you are?Keith,s loverboy?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 12, 2015 23:21

bassaleman
we would all get a really rocking album.

I rather have a rolling album...

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home