Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones' address in 1962 - Powis Square - same as Mick's character in Performance
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 21, 2016 17:42

Don't know if anyone else has picked up on this before but Brian's address, given on a letter to Jazz News in July 1962, is Powis Square, W11 - the same Notting Hill address where Mick Jagger, playing the character Turner, lived in the film Performance.

The letter was written to inform Jazz News of an upcoming gig for the 'Rollin' Stones' at the Marquee.

Love the way Brian signs himself as'Leader'.

Here's the letter.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-21 17:45 by Silver Dagger.

Re: Brian Jones' address in 1962 - Powis Square - same as Mick's character in Performance
Posted by: ash ()
Date: January 21, 2016 21:55

Brian was the "leader" at that time. He also filled in their BBC audition request form as leader on 22 jan 1963. All BBC audition requests had to be completed by the group leader. It was also to Brian who the BBC wrote on May 13th 1963 informing him that the band had failed their audition.
I think it was quite common for bands to have a leader, at least for correspondence/contract purposes. Probably a hangover from the jazz days.
Them's leader on BBC correspondence is not the happiest man in show biz but rather the bands excellent guitarist Billy Harrison. Maybe that's why Van hasn't spoken to him for 50 years.smiling smiley

Re: Brian Jones' address in 1962 - Powis Square - same as Mick's character in Performance
Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: January 21, 2016 22:30

Cool stuff!

BTW, Powis Square is probably my favorite song from the Performance soundtrack. Beautiful down to earth slide guitar by Ry Cooder.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 21, 2016 23:51

'Earl Phillips' - drums..

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 21, 2016 23:55

Great knowledge and for me a discovery!
Got to get out my vinyl Performance LP out for the first time in at least 30 years. In fact I can't recall listening to it...
So there's a song on it called Powis Square?
Thanks thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 22, 2016 00:13

duke richardson

In his dreams!

Howlin Wolf, Jody Williams, Hubert Sumlin and drummer Earl Phillips (at back)

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: January 22, 2016 00:44

Deltics
duke richardson

In his dreams!

Howlin Wolf, Jody Williams, Hubert Sumlin and drummer Earl Phillips (at back)

Who's playing drums then on Powis Square?

Date: January 22, 2016 00:48

RipThisBone
Got to get out my vinyl Performance LP out for the first time in at least 30 years. In fact I can't recall listening to it...

Yes, it's just a simple instrumental song - Ry Cooder playing slide a without a band. But I think it sounds great.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 22, 2016 00:53

The Worst.
RipThisBone

Yes, it's just a simple instrumental song - Ry Cooder playing slide a without a band. But I think it sounds great.

[www.youtube.com]

thumbs up OT. Ry Cooder eye rolling smiley Thank you I won't look for my vinyl LP and not click on the youtube link.

hot smiley Just kidding. Goodnight. Sleep Tight.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-22 00:56 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: dadrob ()
Date: January 22, 2016 01:19

the guitarist furthest from Wolf is Hubert Sumlin

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 22, 2016 06:56

Good catch! Do you think this is a coincidence? That's my guess.

Date: January 22, 2016 12:00

But Earl Phillips did not play on the actual gig, did he? Bill Wyman has always said it was Tony Chapman (while others have listet Mick Avory). I´m pretty sure that Chapman has been verified as the drummer on their first gig. I´m surprised to see Earl Phillips be mentioned in that letter. As far as I know Phillips never played with The Rolling Stones at any occasion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-22 12:00 by The Worst..

Date: January 22, 2016 12:02

Avory never played a gig with the Stones.

Date: January 22, 2016 12:12

I think you may be right, but I also think Mick Avory was rehearsing with Brian and Stu at the Bricklayer´s Arms. And Carlo Little got to play at least one verified gig with The Rolling Stones in 1962 if I´m not mistaken. The question is how reliable Bill Wyman is as a source. I have always used him as my primary source for information, because he was present and wrote diaries on a daily basis. But Bill was not present before December 1962. So who knows what really happened before that. Stu and Brian are gone, and they never left any accounts behind. Mick certainly does not remember. Then it comes down to Keith...

Date: January 22, 2016 12:15

The Worst.
But Earl Phillips did not play on the actual gig, did he? Bill Wyman has always said it was Tony Chapman (while others have listet Mick Avory). I´m pretty sure that Chapman has been verified as the drummer on their first gig. I´m surprised to see Earl Phillips be mentioned in that letter. As far as I know Phillips never played with The Rolling Stones at any occasion.

Mentioning Earl Phillips on drums was probably a joke played by Brian.

Date: January 22, 2016 12:18

Ok, that would be typical of Brian!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 22, 2016 14:04

Thanks for the letter, Silver Dagger!
Oh well, I think I better thank Deltics too! cool smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-22 16:45 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 22, 2016 14:23

The Worst.

[www.youtube.com]

Wow - first few notes remond me of Paris, Texas.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 22, 2016 15:54

Silver Dagger
Don't know if anyone else has picked up on this before but Brian's address, given on a letter to Jazz News in July 1962, is Powis Square, W11 - the same Notting Hill address where Mick Jagger, playing the character Turner, lived in the film Performance.

The letter was written to inform Jazz News of an upcoming gig for the 'Rollin' Stones' at the Marquee.

Here's the letter.

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 22, 2016 16:26

Silver Dagger
The Worst.

Mentioning Earl Phillips on drums was probably a joke played by Brian.

definitely a joke and a consequence of not knowing who their drummer would be at the time...'early 1962, they were barely 19..

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 22, 2016 17:15

Silver Dagger

He was, at the time, 'Leader.' I don't blame him for assigning himself that role, though it's telling that the letter is technically a follow up on Jagger's phone call to the paper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-22 17:17 by nightskyman.

Date: January 22, 2016 18:25

Deltics
Silver Dagger

Here's the letter.

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks Deltics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home