Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Jack White as Stones Producer
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 27, 2015 21:33

TheGreek
I do not see any producer with a big set telling the Glimmer Twins aka Mick Jagger or Keith Richards what to do much less the Glimmer Twins actually listening or putting up with that at all .Makes me laugh about Jack White who i actually like as a artist but telling the Stones how to make a album is gut splitting funny to me .Do i think the Glimmers have a new album coming out ? no of course not BUT if they wanted to they should ring up Chris Kimsey for his production skills .That is my two cents worth today !!!!!!!

thumbs up for Chris Kimsey

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2015 00:43

Turner68
Hairball
RockinJive
More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
i wish this thread would go away

Do you prefer Don Was?!

jack white production is sub par. Nothing special at all. I asked earlier one good thing that he has done as far as production and people can't give me an answer to why. His song writing is childish and his vocals are girly sounding. yeah crappy producer.

Good points. I agree.

Yes completely agree.
I liked a few early White Stripes tunes for what they were, but they don't have very much in common with anything Stones related imo.

"His song writing is childish and his vocals are girly sounding".

Hahahaha grinning smiley

i take it your' not a fan of mid to late 70s stones music? ;-)

I didn't write it - just quoted and laughed at it. winking smiley

But I must ask: what Stones music from mid to late 70s has girly sounding vocals (i.e. high-pitched squeaks and squeals ala Jack White)?

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 28, 2015 00:48

Hairball
Turner68
Hairball
RockinJive
More Hot Rocks
KRiffhard
More Hot Rocks
i wish this thread would go away

Do you prefer Don Was?!

jack white production is sub par. Nothing special at all. I asked earlier one good thing that he has done as far as production and people can't give me an answer to why. His song writing is childish and his vocals are girly sounding. yeah crappy producer.

Good points. I agree.

Yes completely agree.
I liked a few early White Stripes tunes for what they were, but they don't have very much in common with anything Stones related imo.

"His song writing is childish and his vocals are girly sounding".

Hahahaha grinning smiley

i take it your' not a fan of mid to late 70s stones music? ;-)

I didn't write it - just quoted and laughed at it. winking smiley

But I must ask: what Stones music from mid to late 70s has girly sounding vocals (i.e. high-pitched squeaks and squeals ala Jack White)?

Don't think Jack White will be any good.
Just a hyped musician that hasn't done any special lately....
Would like to know what he has done lately as a producer that is so excellent.....

Posted by: ab ()
Date: November 28, 2015 01:39

A key role for any Stones producer will be to act as a go-between for Jagger and Richards. That role requires tact, diplomacy and a thick skin. If White's recent petty whining about Dan Auerbach is any indication, he's not up to the task.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 28, 2015 01:56

Bring on Jack Douglas!

Although his credits are drool-worthy by any stretch, the producer does admit that a few choice acts have eluded him, chief among them The Rolling Stones.
"I know all of the guys, Mick is a friend, and I’ve worked with Ronnie Wood," Douglas says.
"There was a chance to get in there, but that’s when they started working with Don Was – and he does a great job with them, so there’s no reason to try to upset that cart."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 02:07 by Toru A.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 28, 2015 03:48

Yes he does have a girly voice. He not even qualified to change to be in the same room with them.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 28, 2015 04:22

Cooltoplady
Yes he does have a girly voice. He not even qualified to change to be in the same room with them.

Easy there Cooltoplady, that's just his style and it's original. Better that Mick's barking period and some of his more affected singing, imo. Fool to cry is a girly voice and I bet you like that one. lol

Besides, producer doesn't mean his going to play and sing on the record. My quick litmus test for a producer is the drum sound, I thought Jack did a pretty good job on the Blunderbuss record.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 28, 2015 04:58

there is nothing "girly" about a falsetto...that's a wrong statement on so many levels...in and of itself...but to the point...a falsetto...it has more to do with a singers strength of range and talent...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 05:01 by Rip This.

Date: November 28, 2015 04:59

Naturalust
Better that Mick's barking period and some of his more affected singing, imo. Fool to cry is a girly voice and I bet you like that one.

I realize you were replying to Cooltoplady, but as for 'singing' goes, I'd rather hear Mick bark than Jack Whine... smiling smiley

Mick singing falsetto is a talent, whereas J.White squeaking is a handicap.

With that said, Fool to Cry is one of my least favorite Stones tunes, and perhaps Mick's worst use of the falsetto technique imo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 06:36 by Hairball.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: November 28, 2015 05:52

Rip This
there is nothing "girly" about a falsetto...that's a wrong statement on so many levels...in and of itself...but to the point...a falsetto...it has more to do with a singers strength of range and talent...

That's not a falsetto. He has the voice of a woman.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 28, 2015 05:56

Yeah his women voice matches that white pan makeup he wares. He doesn't sing in falsetto he just has a girly voice.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 28, 2015 06:00

When I first heard this song I thought it was Mickey Mouse singing. Can you imagine this guy telling the Stones what to do?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 28, 2015 06:04

Cooltoplady
When I first heard this song I thought it was Mickey Mouse singing. Can you imagine this guy telling the Stones what to do?

yeah he does sound like Mickey! Listen to this. Same voice!!

Date: November 28, 2015 06:45

RockinJive
Rip This

That's not a falsetto. He has the voice of a woman.

thumbs up

I must have misinterpreted Rip This' comment earlier, as I thought he was referring to Mick's falsetto...
Surely he can't be saying Jack White sings in falsetto - showing his strength and range of talent?!!!
I think it's more due to his limitations, and comes across as a freakish novelty.

Date: November 28, 2015 07:18

Rip This

Just seeing if you guys were paying attention. I could do without Mick's falsetto and the Bee Gee's too. Aaron Neville's works for me though. Go figure.

I always loved how Chris Whitley could use falsetto as a tool in his singing. Here is an example. That whole Living With The Law record was fantastic, imo

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 28, 2015 07:36

Great falsetto singers:

Curtis Mayfield
Smokey Robinson
Marvin Gaye
Al Green
Eddie Kendricks

Mick is alright on Worried About You and great on Heaven, but horrible on Emtional Rescue and Fool to Cry.

Date: November 28, 2015 07:43

Jack White did a great job on Loretta Lynn's 'Van Lear Rose'.

Date: November 28, 2015 08:04

Hairball
Great falsetto singers:

Curtis Mayfield
Smokey Robinson
Marvin Gaye
Al Green
Eddie Kendricks

Mick is alright on Worried About You and great on Heaven, but horrible on Emotional Rescue and Fool to Cry.

I recall Mick saying he got the technique and inspiration from one particular singer, maybe it was Eddie Kendricks?

And I agree with KRiffhard that Jack White did a great job on Loretta Lynn's record. Some people just have a talent for bringing out the best in people and it has little to do with their ability to sing or play guitar. People suggesting that he couldn't do well with the Stones based on that are obviously missing the point, imo.

Date: November 28, 2015 08:47

Producing Loretta Lynn is a bit of a different animal than it would be producing the Stones, especially when having to deal with and answer to/obey Mick and Keith imo.

Not sure if anyone has suggested he wouldn't do a decent job based on his singing and guitar ability (maybe they have?), although those traits are being criticized here. I think it's the fact that there's not much common ground or compatibility between them, but I suppose the same could be said for him and Loretta Lynne, so go figure.

At any rate, doubt it will happen...Mick would probably rather have someone like Will I.Am, Danger Mouse or Don Was again, while Keith would be happy with himself and Steve Jordan being in charge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-28 08:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2015 08:51

Me and the Glimmer Twins would be a better choice ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2015 09:02

Rockman

Ok Rockee tell me which mic you would use for Charlie's kick drum and which one for snare, if you can answer I will cast my vote for you! I think you just might be able to pick out the good songs from the bad! lol

And Hairball are you suggesting Mick and Keith are harder to work with than Loretta Lynn?

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 28, 2015 10:43

More Hot Rocks
Yeah his women voice matches that white pan makeup he wares. He doesn't sing in falsetto he just has a girly voice.

Everything about this statement is so . . wrong . . in so many ways . . .

OK, moving on.

Date: November 28, 2015 10:50

Awwww Charlie will help me that ...
I'll be just goin' by which playback sounds the best ... And Keith likes me too that'll help

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2015 10:50

Naturalust
Hairball
Great falsetto singers:

Curtis Mayfield
Smokey Robinson
Marvin Gaye
Al Green
Eddie Kendricks

Mick is alright on Worried About You and great on Heaven, but horrible on Emotional Rescue and Fool to Cry.

I recall Mick saying he got the technique and inspiration from one particular singer, maybe it was Eddie Kendricks?

And I agree with KRiffhard that Jack White did a great job on Loretta Lynn's record. Some people just have a talent for bringing out the best in people and it has little to do with their ability to sing or play guitar. People suggesting that he couldn't do well with the Stones based on that are obviously missing the point, imo.

thumbs up

Date: November 28, 2015 10:52

Luther Vandross

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2015 11:04

Ok Rockee tell me which mic you would use for Charlie's kick drum and which one for snare,

Gimmie ya phone number Natualusteee and we can give ya a ring if we get stuck with a mic problem ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2015 17:50

Naturalust
Rockman

Ok Rockee tell me which mic you would use for Charlie's kick drum and which one for snare, if you can answer I will cast my vote for you! I think you just might be able to pick out the good songs from the bad! lol

And Hairball are you suggesting Mick and Keith are harder to work with than Loretta Lynn?

Not being familiar with Loretta Lynn's attitude (are you saying she's a big bad meanie?),
I was just making the assumption that two giant egos would be more difficult to deal with than one.
Besides, Jack White may have sweet talked Loretta with his 'girly voice'. winking smiley

As for any new potential producer, and someone who has serious Stones cred - I vote for Rockman! thumbs up

Date: November 28, 2015 19:55

Rockman
Awwww Charlie will help me that ...
I'll be just goin' by which playback sounds the best ... And Keith likes me too that'll help

OK , How does Executive Production Assistant Sound? I don't think Charlie concerns himself much with those kind of technical details in the studio, here's a guy who doesn't even tune his drums. lol

Date: November 28, 2015 19:58

Hairball
Naturalust

Not being familiar with Loretta Lynn's attitude (are you saying she's a big bad meanie?),
I was just making the assumption that two giant egos would be more difficult to deal with than one.
Besides, Jack White may have sweet talked Loretta with his 'girly voice'. winking smiley

As for any new potential producer, and someone who has serious Stones cred - I vote for Rockman! thumbs up

No I don't know anything about Loretta Lynn's attitude, she's probably a total sweetheart.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 29, 2015 09:44

Hell I'd just love to hear Jack White play WITH the Stones on a new album. Anybody who thinks he doesn't have the chops or producing expertise don't know what they're talking about. And Jack White sure as hell has some more interesting piano players on his albums than the Stones do.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home