Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Well this is Keith Richards biggest day in the media in a positive way
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 18, 2015 10:45

Hope you all enjoy the album, the netflix documentary and the interviews
Its a big day for Keith, maybe put some of your thoughts down here about the netflix movie etc when the day is done smiling smiley

If your tired of Keith threads, sorry but Keith is a Rolling Stone after all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 11:16 by keefriffhards.

Re: Well this is Keith Richards biggest day in the media in a positive way
Posted by: stones2000 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 11:53

I absolutely loved the documentary! It's 2 AM (at least here where I live), and I've just finished watching it. I wanted to start right at midnight, as soon as I could. I especially loved the ending, showing him with his family. I loved all of it. And you can never have too many Keith threads. Never

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: September 18, 2015 13:00

The documentary was a great watch!

Date: September 18, 2015 13:42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 13:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Librarian ()
Date: September 18, 2015 14:24

He's on this am with Matt Lauer- Today Show TODAY

Dude must be tired.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 18, 2015 15:50

I was expecting something slightly different but it's an entertaining documentary for sure.

They have a very nice way of bringing back the song Trouble throughout the documentary. I was walking to the pub afterwards and the song was stuck in my mind and I kept singing it.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 15:52 by Wuudy.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:25

Heard him on NPR this morning. Great interview!

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: September 18, 2015 16:45

I work nights and when I got home at 7:20 am I realized, today is the day! Under the Influence airs. Watched it while having an after work, weekend off beer. I wasn't disappointed. Loved the Tom Waits segments, and all the family ones too, especially the photo with his Dad. Am waitng for my copy of Crosseyed Heart.

Date: September 18, 2015 17:05

KatieGirl
I work nights and when I got home at 7:20 am I realized, today is the day! Under the Influence airs. Watched it while having an after work, weekend off beer. I wasn't disappointed. Loved the Tom Waits segments, and all the family ones too, especially the photo with his Dad. Am waitng for my copy of Crosseyed Heart.

yeah hopefully the album is waiting when i get home, and watch netflicks later without a few beers sad smiley

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:11

Hopefully get it on video, I don't do Netflix, but going to get cd @ lunch!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:21

Librarian
He's on this am with Matt Lauer- Today Show TODAY

Dude must be tired.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 18, 2015 17:24

gimmelittledrink
Heard him on NPR this morning. Great interview!

Here it is: [www.npr.org]

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:29

Picking up my copy of CH on the way home today, making a pizza for the wife and me, watching the Netflix doc, then Fallon. It's Keith Day, everybody! Happy Keith Day!!

(Can't believe I missed the npr interview... Will listen at lunch.)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2015 17:33

Keith Day...it's feeling like an International Holiday.
I'm going to make it a 3 day weekend w/ BBQ, beach, beer, spliff, and loud Keith and Stones the entire time.
Memories in the making...where were you on September 18, 2015?

smileys with beer

Date: September 18, 2015 18:12

10 Things We Learned From 'Keith Richards: Under the Influence'

From 'topless bathing' busts to being hungover at Howlin' Wolf's house, some takeaways from the guitarist's doc

By Dan Epstein September 18, 2015

When it comes to rock and roll fantasies, most of us would surely put "hanging with Keith Richards' near the top of our list. Really, who wouldn't want to spend some quality time with the legendary Rolling Stones guitarist, spinning records, playing Fender Telecasters (preferably named after Dickens' characters) and having the old pirate regale you with tales of over a half-century's worth of musical adventures?

Director Morgan Neville (20 Feet From Stardom, Best of Enemies) got to do just that while making Keith Richards: Under The Influence, which premieres September 18th on Netflix — and which, for eighty extremely enjoyable minutes, allows us to do the same. Originally conceived as a promotional video for Crosseyed Heart, Richards' first solo album in 23 years, Influence has been expanded into a feature-length documentary that paints a charming portrait of the guitarist (who will turn 72 in December) as rock and roll elder statesman. Tom Waits, Buddy Guy, Steve Jordan (who produced and drummed on Crosseyed Heart), X-Pensive Winos guitarist Waddy Wachtel and Richards' long-serving guitar tech Pierre de Beauport all provide snippets of insightful commentary. But it's really the Uncle Keef Show all the way, with Richards punctuating nearly every anecdote and guitar strum with a knowing grin, a phlegmy chuckle and/or the rakish twirl of a gnarled finger.

More of a snapshot of the man in his current, exceedingly positive headspace than a chronological trawl through the ups and downs of Richards' back pages, the documetary assiduously avoids the darker side of the Keith/Stones legend — there's no talk of Altamont, heroin, the death of Brian Jones or Richards' tumultuous relationship with Anita Pallenberg, for example. The "influence” of the title refers to music rather than bourbon or opiates, and Neville does a beautiful job of getting to the heart of how blues, country and reggae sounds deeply impacted Richards and the Stones, as well as the immense joy that the guitarist still clearly derives from making music. Here are 10 things we learned from Keith Richards: Under the Influence.

1. Keith's main early musical influence was his mother.
"My Mum was a beautiful music freak with incredible taste," he says. "She was a wizard of the dial — if there was anything worth listening to [on the radio], she would find it." Doris Richards turned her only son on to such jazz greats as Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong and Billy Eckstine, as well as "a little dash of Mozart here and there." She also instilled him with a lifelong love of country music. "We didn't hear a lot of it in England, but I was well aware of it,” he recalls. "My mother made sure of that."

2. His grandfather "teased” him into becoming a guitarist.
Keith's granddad Gus kept an acoustic guitar on his wall, which was placed tantalizingly out of the youngster's reach. "When you can reach it, I'll let you play it," Gus told him; then, when Keith was big enough to reach it, Gus insisted that he learn the Spanish standard "Malagueña," because "it's got a lot of moves in it that make it great for the fingers."

3. The roots of the Rolling Stones can be traced back to two specific albums.
In 1960, Keith and childhood chum Mick Jagger reunited when they ran into each other on a train. Mick was carrying two albums with him at the time — The Best of Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry's Rockin' at the Hops, both on Chess Records — and the two college students immediately bonded over their mutual love for the blues. "I thought I was the only guy in the southeast of England that knew anything about this stuff," Keith laughs. Out of that bond grew the Rolling Stones, who took their name from a song on the Muddy LP called "Rollin' Stone"; songs from both albums (including Muddy's "I Just Want to Make Love to You" and Chuck's "Let It Rock") would show up in the band's set lists for decades to come.

4. The Stones once got in trouble with the law for "topless bathing."
Keith recounts how, during one of their early U.S. tours, someone called the cops on the band for swimming at a Georgia Holiday Inn without their shirts on. "Some freaked-out locals thought, because of the hair, there was a load of chicks jumping into the pool naked," he chuckles. Much to the bemusement (and disappointment) of the local constabulary, it just turned out to be a bunch of skinny English dudes.

5. The Stones made it acceptable for Chicago blues guitarists to crank up their amps in the recording studio.
Blues legend Buddy Guy recalls how the Chess Studios engineers refused to record his guitar at a loud volume, claiming that no one would want to hear the distorted sounds that resulted. "But when it got back to Leonard [Chess] that the British are playing it, and it's getting over," he says, "I turned my amp up like these British guys."

6. Keith thinks he's probably a better bass player than a guitar player.
Well, he might actually be joking about that — but there's no question that Keith loves the occasional four-string workout. Not only did he lay down the bass tracks on such classic Stones jams as "Jumping Jack Flash," "Street Fighting Man," "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Happy," but he also handles all the bass duties on Crosseyed Heart. "I love this shit!" he exults, after finishing a bass take for the new record.

7. There are no electric guitars on "Street Fighting Man."
Seriously — Keith's bass is actually the only electric instrument on the entire song. That aggressive guitar sound you hear on the 1968 track is actually Keith slamming an acoustic guitar at close range into the microphone of a portable tape recorder; the volume and proximity of the guitar caused the recorded signal to overload, producing a distorted, ringing sound. In Under the Influence, Keith demonstrates the technique using a 1967 Norelco tape recorder — a sequence that will probably cause the eBay value of 1960s portable tape decks to inflate considerably.

8. Keith once went to a party at one blues legend's house — and somehow woke up at the home of another one.
While paying a visit with Neville to Muddy's decrepit old digs on the south side of Chicago, Keith recalls Willie Dixon taking him to a house party there many years ago. "It was rocking when I got here, I remember that," he says. "It's leaving I don't remember. I crashed out here, but I woke up at Howlin' Wolf's house… the party continued, and I went with it!"

9. Keith was estranged from his father for two decades.
Keith's parents split up after he left home to pursue his rock and roll dreams; Bert Richards, his father, didn't speak to him for 20 years. When Keith finally arranged a meeting with Bert during the 1980s, he was so nervous about the prospect of seeing his dad again that he "took Ronnie Wood with me for protection — that's how scared I was!" Woody's intimidating presence ultimately proved unnecessary, however, as the reunion turned out to be a happy one. "We sorted it all out," Keith says, "and for the next 20 years, he became my best mate."

10. Keith has actually [gasp] talked about retiring.
The Internet may be crammed with jokey memes about Keith's immortality, but the man himself appears to have semi-seriously considered the prospect of calling it a day, at least career-wise. "Keith said something that was kind of shocking, and I asked him never to say that again," recounts Steve Jordan. "He was like, 'You know, maybe I should retire.' At which I completely freaked out!" Keith tries to play it off by growling, "I was talking in my sleep!" — but hey, it's somehow comforting to learn that a seventy-something rock star occasionally thinks about the same things that normal seventysomethings do.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 18, 2015 20:07

This thread should be a sticky

Date: September 18, 2015 20:10

The Director of the Keith Richards Documentary on Finding New Ways to Interpret an Icon

By Aisha Harris

Photo by Jemal Countess/Getty Images

“I always thought 30 was about it, beyond that it’d be horrible to be alive,” says Keith Richards at the beginning of Keith Richards: Under the Influence. “Until I got to be 31—then life ain’t so shabby, you know? I’ll hang in a while.”

For years, the running joke about the Rolling Stones rocker, who is now 71, has been that it’s a wonder that he’s still alive, considering his well documented wild days. The title of the new documentary from Morgan Neville (20 Feet From Stardom), out Friday on Netflix, is sort of a double entendre—while it may instantly conjure up thoughts of Richards’ notorious drug use, that’s not what the film is interested in at all. Instead, Under the Influence loosely traces Richards’ life through the artists who inspired him personally and as an artist, including Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, and Chuck Berry. He also candidly discusses the history of such classic Stones songs like “Sympathy for the Devil” and “Street-Fighting Man,” while jamming in the studio and happily ruminating on life as a senior citizen. I spoke with Neville at the Toronto International Film Festival, where the film had its world premiere on Thursday.

How did this documentary come about?

By complete accident. He had an album coming out and they said well, we just want to film him, get something of him talking. And because it was Keith I jumped on it. I decided to bring a pile of albums with me and a turntable, and it’s the stuff you see in the film, on that first day, where we just talked about music for like three hours and it was amazing. And Jane, his manager, said, “Oh, Keith had a great time, we had a great time, that was great! Keep filming!”

Before we knew it we just had this feature-length documentary. And it was never supposed to be that, which is nice because to me the film is about—it’s not trying to tell a story. Its more just kind of like a portrait of Keith today. I wanted it to feel more like a hang with Keith. Do you ever listen to the Stones?

Oh yeah—I’m not a die-hard fan, but I like them.

I mean Keith’s been in a lot of documentaries, but never like this. And especially the Stones documentaries—when he comes together with the Stones, Mick is the front man. And Keithis very happy to just kind of lean against the wall with the sunglasses on. He’s got that persona that he kind of hides behind. But I feel like the book he wrote—Life, which came out 5 years ago—was kind of the beginning of this process. The film and the book are good companion pieces, because they both take this two-dimensional persona that he has and make it into something real. He wrote all those songs, he did all those things, and he’s not a cartoon—he’s a real person who listens to music and has a family and is funny and charming.

How long did you shoot for?

We did the entire film in four months. Which is really fast. It’s crazy. I have another film in the festival, this Yo-Yo Ma documentary, and that was like a four-year process. So I’m used to documentaries taking a long time. This one was just instinctual. It was like writing a rock song and going onto the next thing. No time to overthink it.

What surprised you the most about Keith while you were filming?

You tend to put your rock stars on pedestals—they seem like they’ve been there for time immemorial. But you realize that the rock stars have their own rock stars. They were fans and kids once too.

And you forget very easily that Keith Richards was half of one of the greatest songwriting teams in history. Being able to witness it and just sit there and watch him play and come up with things. As a fan, that stuff was just awesome.

Keith talks a lot about what it’s like to be his age—was this something you talked about beforehand or is it something that just arose as the film came together?

We had no agenda. This was really a chance to figure out what Keith wants to talk about too. Because I know he’s been interviewed a million times, I know he’s told some of the same stories a million times, everyone asks him about Mick, I get that. And I’ve asked him those questions before. But this time I felt like, let’s let the conversation to go wherever it goes.

Is there any moment that Keith revealed that didn’t make it into the film that you loved or appreciated?

I had a whole section about soul music and about Otis Redding. Otis covered “Satisfaction,” and to these guys, Otis' version supersedes what they did–it’s the version they dreamed of. They always heard horns on the song, but could never do it.Hearing what that meant to have those artists start singing their songs—Aretha doing Stones songs, Ray Charles doing them, I mean all of those guys would cover the Stones. That dialogue back and forth was something that’s not in the film that meant a lot. Because we always hear about how the Stones covered those blues artists—but those blues artists covered them back.

You’ve done a lot of music docs—one on Brian Wilson, 20 Feet From Stardom. Who is the one musician you’d love to tackle and haven’t yet?

If I had a dream subject, I’d probably say David Bowie.

He’s writing a musical now, I think…

Yeah, I hear these whispers of things he’s doing, but he’s just one of those guys who’s never done a documentary, never cooperated with one. The stuff he was doing in the ’70s now seems like it’s just now found its time, it was so far ahead of its time. I could really sink my teeth into a David Bowie documentary.

[www.slate.com]

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: September 18, 2015 21:57

The Netflix documerntary is really worth seeing. I've seen a few others and they are never dissapointing, so have a go if you cam.
Lots of nice studio shots.

Let it rock!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-18 21:58 by Rosto.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: September 18, 2015 22:20

KatieGirl
Got my copy of Crosseyed Heart in the mail today and I love it. Got the Tom Waits cd Bad As Me as well, but haven't had a listen yet.Even if Keith wasn't on four tracks it should be good.

Date: September 18, 2015 22:38

Just seen Under The Influence, what can i say, it was incredible
The closest we have seen of Keith to date
What a lovely man, he just seems high drunk and in heaven on music
That was one hell of a documentary
Keith really opened up in a relaxed way
whoever made it did a fantastic job smiling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 19, 2015 00:35

I haven't read all the posts yet, but today is:
KEITH RICHARDS DAY.
It's a bloody holiday, and I wish people around me IRL would get a clue!
God, I thought of moving to a city today, suburbia life killin' me slowly ;-/

I assume Keith is personally signing my CD which is why the delay/ no contact from Crosseyed website about my purchase!
So off to Best Buy I drove in silence first thing this morning
and Good Golly Molly
lots of feelings with Crosseyed Heart (I've been waiting for a CD!) but the main:
I LOVE IT.
Documentary tonight must wait for spouse but hey all:
HAPPY KEEF DAY!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:52

keefriffhards
Hope you all enjoy the album, the netflix documentary and the interviews
Its a big day for Keith, maybe put some of your thoughts down here about the netflix movie etc when the day is done smiling smiley

If your tired of Keith threads, sorry but Keith is a Rolling Stone after all

No need to apologize, you've done nothing wrong.

It's everyone else!

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 08:07

keefriffhards

Just watched it myself and enjoyed it. There is a LOT of great music in that film and a lot of affection toward music as a way of life.

As you might imagine, I didn't enjoy the CROSSEYED HEART stuff but the other snippets are really cool and hearing Keith talk about them was fun.

I think his "image" is very carefully crafted at this stage of his career. The PR campaign for the record, of which this film is of course a part, was a work of art. As a result, and since I don't know the man, I have no comment on how "genuine" he may be or how "open" he seems to be in the film.

But some of The Stones-related stuff brought a smile to my face and it was overall a decent way to spend 90 mins after the wife went off to bed. (She had refused to allow it to be played in her presence since Keith, her formerly favorite Stone, had so viciously gone off on Jerry Garcia recently.)

Date: September 19, 2015 18:20

LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

Just watched it myself and enjoyed it. There is a LOT of great music in that film and a lot of affection toward music as a way of life.

As you might imagine, I didn't enjoy the CROSSEYED HEART stuff but the other snippets are really cool and hearing Keith talk about them was fun.

I think his "image" is very carefully crafted at this stage of his career. The PR campaign for the record, of which this film is of course a part, was a work of art. As a result, and since I don't know the man, I have no comment on how "genuine" he may be or how "open" he seems to be in the film.

But some of The Stones-related stuff brought a smile to my face and it was overall a decent way to spend 90 mins after the wife went off to bed. (She had refused to allow it to be played in her presence since Keith, her formerly favorite Stone, had so viciously gone off on Jerry Garcia recently.)

You always bring a smile to my face Longbeach
I have to wait for my wife to go bed too, she can only take so much Keith
It must of been a good documentary because i had no idea until just then that it was 90 mins long
The quickest 90 mins in my life
Time flies when your having fun
Keith is the man you see there, its not a carefully crafted image, that's the real keith, i have always seen this side of him but been disappointed that his shyness prevented him from showing Buddha keith

Date: September 19, 2015 19:29

I warched it WITH my wife. You should, too thumbs up

Date: September 19, 2015 19:44

DandelionPowderman

Ain't gonna happen, Dandie. Keith is dead to her. I tried to explain he was just out pimping an album but she said that made it even worse. "Musicians don't diss other musicians."

Date: September 19, 2015 19:47

keefriffhards
LongBeachArena72
keefriffhards

You always bring a smile to my face Longbeach
I have to wait for my wife to go bed too, she can only take so much Keith
It must of been a good documentary because i had no idea until just then that it was 90 mins long
The quickest 90 mins in my life
Time flies when your having fun
Keith is the man you see there, its not a carefully crafted image, that's the real keith, i have always seen this side of him but been disappointed that his shyness prevented him from showing Buddha keith

As misguided as I may think your musical tastes are, young riffhards, I LOVE how much you're enjoying this record and Keith's victory lap. While I don't share your enthusiasms, I admire the purity of your passion.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 19:49

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Ain't gonna happen, Dandie. Keith is dead to her. I tried to explain he was just out pimping an album but she said that made it even worse. "Musicians don't diss other musicians."

Lol I don't think she knows any musicians? Musicians love critiquing other musicians.

Date: September 19, 2015 20:21

Turner68
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Lol I don't think she knows any musicians? Musicians love critiquing other musicians.

Actually, Turner, she knows a LOT of musicians, writers, artists, painters, designers. That's her world. The ones she admires most are the ones who are supportive of their colleagues and who try to foster a sense of community. Just the way she's wired.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 20:24

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Actually, Turner, she knows a LOT of musicians, writers, artists, painters, designers. That's her world. The ones she admires most are the ones who are supportive of their colleagues and who try to foster a sense of community. Just the way she's wired.

Better not show her this interview with Jerry Garcia where he says the stones never had cool fans and criticizes their approach to concerts and touring then.... [deadsources.blogspot.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1391
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home