Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Well this is Keith Richards biggest day in the media in a positive way
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 19, 2015 23:54

Turner68
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman
I warched it WITH my wife. You should, too thumbs up

Ain't gonna happen, Dandie. Keith is dead to her. I tried to explain he was just out pimping an album but she said that made it even worse. "Musicians don't diss other musicians."

Lol I don't think she knows any musicians? Musicians love critiquing other musicians.

Actually, Turner, she knows a LOT of musicians, writers, artists, painters, designers. That's her world. The ones she admires most are the ones who are supportive of their colleagues and who try to foster a sense of community. Just the way she's wired.

Better not show her this interview with Jerry Garcia where he says the stones never had cool fans and criticizes their approach to concerts and touring then.... [deadsources.blogspot.com]

You actually sent me a link I can use to show my wife she's wrong? Thanks for the solid, bro!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 20, 2015 00:23

LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Ain't gonna happen, Dandie. Keith is dead to her. I tried to explain he was just out pimping an album but she said that made it even worse. "Musicians don't diss other musicians."

Lol I don't think she knows any musicians? Musicians love critiquing other musicians.

Actually, Turner, she knows a LOT of musicians, writers, artists, painters, designers. That's her world. The ones she admires most are the ones who are supportive of their colleagues and who try to foster a sense of community. Just the way she's wired.

Better not show her this interview with Jerry Garcia where he says the stones never had cool fans and criticizes their approach to concerts and touring then.... [deadsources.blogspot.com]

You actually sent me a link I can use to show my wife she's wrong? Thanks for the solid, bro!

Nice article thanks Turner! While Jerry does say the Stones fans were never cool he goes out of his way to say the band is good, and don't forget The Dead played Stones covers when they were starting out. I quote:

"Hell yeah, man. They're good, they don't need any tricks. To my mind, they don't need any tricks. They put on a good show, they play @#$%& good, and they don't need any of the rest of the bullshit."

He's probably pretty spot on about The Stones need to see a bit of hysteria from the audience, I think Mick in particular may not be entirely happy unless the audience is standing, dancing and generally freaking out. His whole stage persona is still based around getting a reaction to the crowd and not just letting them base the show on the musical output. Very intuitive of Jerry back in 1971.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 20, 2015 01:49

Yes it is a good interview and silly to boycott bands because one of the members said something bad about the other band lol

Date: September 20, 2015 02:11

Turner68
Yes it is a good interview and silly to boycott bands because one of the members said something bad about the other band lol

There's no comparison between:

“The Grateful Dead is where everybody got it wrong,” he said in a new Billboard cover story. “Just poodling about for hours and hours. Jerry Garcia, boring shit, man. Sorry, Jerry.”

And:

"Hell yeah, man. They're good, they don't need any tricks. To my mind, they don't need any tricks. They put on a good show, they play @#$%& good, and they don't need any of the rest of the bullshit."

'They play @#$%& good' vs. 'Boring shit.'

Jerry was not being mean-spirited; Keith was being a dismissive dick. The interviewer even went on to try to bait Garcia into saying it was all about The Stones wanting to become stars, and he didn't rise to it.

Finally, when Garcia was being interviewed, The Stones were very much alive and solidly ensconced as the greatest rock'n'roll band in the world. When Keith was being interviewed, Garcia was, uhh, dead. Fair play to Keith!

The Dead adored The Stones and paid tribute to them regularly with covers. It's not a requirement that Keith reciprocated that feeling, of course, but he didn't have to shit on them.

Date: September 20, 2015 02:34

Maybe he finds their music boring, so what?

When Keith is asked specificly about rap or jam bands it shouldn't come as a surprise that he speaks his mind..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 20, 2015 04:16

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
Turner68
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Nice article thanks Turner! While Jerry does say the Stones fans were never cool he goes out of his way to say the band is good, and don't forget The Dead played Stones covers when they were starting out. I quote:

He's probably pretty spot on about The Stones need to see a bit of hysteria from the audience, I think Mick in particular may not be entirely happy unless the audience is standing, dancing and generally freaking out. His whole stage persona is still based around getting a reaction to the crowd and not just letting them base the show on the musical output. Very intuitive of Jerry back in 1971.

A nice interview, indeed, thanks!

I just make a little remark about the Stones fans being not 'cool'. Jerry is using the term literally, in opposition to 'hysteric'. So not in the sense 'Keith Richards is the coolest person in the world', etc. (I personally first interpreted, when I read turner's post, him claiming that the Stones fans are non-cool people in the latter sense, which sounded a bit.. hmm.. harsh comment...grinning smiley)

These days the Stones fans are pretty cool according to Jerry's criteria: mostly they just sit down and listen the music/watch the show (no matter how hard Mick try his tricks)....

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 04:17 by Doxa.

Date: September 20, 2015 07:50

DandelionPowderman
Maybe he finds their music boring, so what?

When Keith is asked specificly about rap or jam bands it shouldn't come as a surprise that he speaks his mind..

Yeah, this has been hashed over ad nauseum and everybody's positions are pretty well staked out. People seem to think Keith's remarks are:

--refreshingly honest
--calculated to rally his base and get them to buy his record
--a dick move

Or some combination of the first two.

That's ok. It is what it is. Rock on, Keith.

While his Garcia comments hit closest to home for me, it's surprising to me how ignorant he is about modern American black music. For all of his commitment to his "roots," he's become an old man who's forgotten that he was once a boy who worshipped at the feet of his idols. There are kids, black and white alike, who today idolize and are inspired by Frank Ocean, D'Angelo, The Roots, Kendrick Lamar, Run the Jewels, Tyler the Creator, Flying Lotus, et al, and who will produce incredible music themselves in the next generation. Keith doesn't have to like that music, in fact it would probably be surprising if he did, but for him to dismiss it out of hand is equivalent to Perry Como deriding Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf (not sure if that ever occurred, mind you, just using it as an illustration).

But Keith knew of course that his audience by and large hates rap and so he spoke like an out of touch old geezer who wanted them damn kids off his immaculate Connecticut lawn!

We don't all have to like everything, or have to like everything new. In fact, we may find ourselves with nothing to say at all about new generations of music and musicians as new styles, trends, fads, etc. reveal their (Ugly?) heads. Some of us embrace change, some of us turn away, some of us are threatened and lash out, and some of us, like Keith, condemn the most significant form of American black music in the last three decades.

Date: September 20, 2015 08:47

At 71, it should come as no surprise that he might be more ignorant or willing to spend time on "new" music forms? The older, the more conservative etc.

Date: September 20, 2015 18:07

DandelionPowderman
At 71, it should come as no surprise that he might be more ignorant or willing to spend time on "new" music forms? The older, the more conservative etc.

Yes, that part is not surprising at all. We probably all tend to get a bit more set in our ways as we get older. I'm just surprised he bothered to go out of his way to criticize something he clearly doesn't understand.

Date: September 20, 2015 20:55

LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Yes, that part is not surprising at all. We probably all tend to get a bit more set in our ways as we get older. I'm just surprised he bothered to go out of his way to criticize something he clearly doesn't understand.

I guess he was asked specificly by quote-hungry journalists, like usual.

It's an easy way out for the reporters. I know a thing or two about that...

Date: September 20, 2015 22:16

DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Once one reporter gets him to go on the record about one band, then all the other reporters see that he is willing to "make news" and then they ask questions of their own... first it was rap i think? then beiber, then taylor swift, then grateful dead... it was a feeding frenzy for "clicks".

Not that Keith is a victim. It's a game both sides play, all to get us talking about them and clicking on the articles. Obviously it worked very well give the interest it seems to have stirred up amongst some posters. He ended up making a headline 5 or 6 times, so 5 or 6 reporters get a hot story and he stays in the news for nearly a week.

In three years everyone will have forgotten about it all, no one will hold it against Keith Richards that he said that rap stinks just as no one holds Sinatra's comments against him.

LongBeach I buy your argument about rap music as his comments there were particularly harsh and targeted an entire genre of music, but I guess that if pressed Keith would say something like "hey rap music isn't going to live or die by what i have to say, it's the most successful new form of music in several generations, they don't need me to support it and if i don't like it, there's no harm to come from me saying so".

As far as his comments on specific musicians, I think that's what all musicians do. It took me about 30 seconds to find that article with Jerry G. criticizing the Stones.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 22:23 by Turner68.

Date: September 20, 2015 22:31

Turner68
As far as his comments on specific musicians, I think that's what all musicians do. It took me about 30 seconds to find that article with Jerry G. criticizing the Stones.

Except that Jerry didn't criticize the Stones at all, praised them in fact. smoking smiley

Date: September 20, 2015 22:34

Naturalust
Turner68

Except that Jerry didn't criticize the Stones at all, praised them in fact. smoking smiley

He very clearly did criticize the Stones for how they conducted their concerts. He said they played great but that he disagreed with how they ran their shows on the '69 tour.

David: That sort of hysteria seems to have always been a part of the Stones.

Jerry: Well, see, the Rolling Stones never did have a cool audience. When they started playing, people were screaming. Then they knocked off for two or three years and now they come back, and it's back to screaming. But the one opportunity they had to go a different direction was on their regular tour, because the regular gigs, they had to get the audience to get up...

David: They always did.

Jerry: Yeah, but it was a trick. You know, Mick Jagger would make his little speech about turn on the lights so we can see you, and the lights would go on, and everybody would scream and run up to the stage. It was so predictable. They knew it would work.

David: But everybody got caught up in it.

Jerry: Sure, sure, but that's the thing that's going for it. It's like the magicians, like Cagliostro, man, you know what I mean? One of those trips. If you get to the point where you're playing music and you can't get off unless the crowd tears itself to pieces and attacks the stage, it's kind of like sinking your teeth way in. It's taking more than you need.

Jerry on the Doors: During a 1981 interview with Blair Jackson of BAM Magazine in the midst of one of many Doors-revivals...
JACKSON: we're doing an issue of bam magazine on the doors
GARCIA: i never liked the doors. i found them terribly offensive...when we played with them. it was back when jim morrison was just a pure mick jagger copy. that was his whole shot, that he was a mick jagger imitation. not vocally, but his moves, his whole physical appearance were totally stolen from right around mick jagger's 1965 tour of the states. he used to move around alot, before he started to earn a reputation as a poet, which i thought was really undeserved.

The only point being, it's normal for musicians to criticize others, "even" Jerry Garcia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 22:44 by Turner68.

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: September 20, 2015 23:01

Keith always says what he thinks. He is not at all PC and he doesn't care what others think. Remember when he was asked about Princess Diana after her death? That's The Keith we all know and love.

Date: September 20, 2015 23:06

I don't really read that as a harsh criticism. He's more just describing his take on how the Stones chose to operate. Not particularly making a negative judgement about it, if so it's pretty benign and more a comment on what it took for the Stones to get off during their performances. I guess the "taking more than you need part" is the only real judgmental part but certainly less negative than Keith's recent comments about Jerry. Certainly not an attack on Stones music.

The Doors criticism on the other hand is pretty brutal. lol. I never made the connection between Jagger and Morrison before, perhaps there is some truth to it. Jerry was close enough to the scene to have some intuition about it. I know Jerry spoke his mind and wasn't above criticizing others and even The Dead's own fan base! I personally heard some pretty shocking things come from his lips but he always said it with a smile and a laugh and you never got the feeling he was particularly derogatory about them.

Date: September 20, 2015 23:13

Naturalust
I don't really read that as a harsh criticism. He's more just describing his take on how the Stones chose to operate. Not particularly making a negative judgement about it, if so it's pretty benign and more a comment on what it took for the Stones to get off during their performances. I guess the "taking more than you need part" is the only real judgmental part but certainly less negative than Keith's recent comments about Jerry. Certainly not an attack on Stones music.

The Doors criticism on the other hand is pretty brutal. lol. I never made the connection between Jagger and Morrison before, perhaps there is some truth to it. Jerry was close enough to the scene to have some intuition about it. I know Jerry spoke his mind and wasn't above criticizing others and even The Dead's own fan base! I personally heard some pretty shocking things come from his lips but he always said it with a smile and a laugh and you never got the feeling he was particularly derogatory about them.

OK, I am relieved and not surprised to hear that you aren't also arguing that "musicians don't criticize other musicians" or launching a boycott against keith because of that. smiling smiley Seems so obviously true that most if not all musicians do that i'm amazed there is a discussion about it.

The context for Jerry's comments were about Altamont, and the fact that the Stones, he argued, sought out audiences that were ahem "lively".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-20 23:15 by Turner68.

Date: September 20, 2015 23:31

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
LongBeachArena72
DandelionPowderman

Once one reporter gets him to go on the record about one band, then all the other reporters see that he is willing to "make news" and then they ask questions of their own... first it was rap i think? then beiber, then taylor swift, then grateful dead... it was a feeding frenzy for "clicks".

Not that Keith is a victim. It's a game both sides play, all to get us talking about them and clicking on the articles. Obviously it worked very well give the interest it seems to have stirred up amongst some posters. He ended up making a headline 5 or 6 times, so 5 or 6 reporters get a hot story and he stays in the news for nearly a week.

In three years everyone will have forgotten about it all, no one will hold it against Keith Richards that he said that rap stinks just as no one holds Sinatra's comments against him.

LongBeach I buy your argument about rap music as his comments there were particularly harsh and targeted an entire genre of music, but I guess that if pressed Keith would say something like "hey rap music isn't going to live or die by what i have to say, it's the most successful new form of music in several generations, they don't need me to support it and if i don't like it, there's no harm to come from me saying so".

Exactly!

PS: You forgot the Beatles; )

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2015 18:15

"I was able to walk to the side of the press conference at Toronto International Film Festival and get this shot of the happy warrior, indifferent to the ravages of time and so many other things – out there, smiling, doing his work. He was premiering his new film "#KeithRichards: Under the Influence" and said simply – "I'm just trying to bring the blues into the mainstream – that's my job." Somehow a 17-year-old talking to Mick Jagger on a train about Muddy Waters in 1960 realized that all the promise and failure of the American heartland ran down the Mississippi river – from its tributary in Chicago down into the Delta and its melting pot of sex, suffering, protest, simplicity and hope. Keith anchored the new freedom of Swinging London in the heart of American musical tradition and the rock and roll he and his band created pushed boundaries, but in enduring ways – their blood is the same that beats through the heart of American song." As told to @RollingStone by @taylorehill

[instagram.com]

Keith is on the cover of the next issue of Rolling Stone magazine:

[instagram.com]

Date: October 7, 2015 18:47

It Ain't Easy Being Keith Richards: Inside the New Issue

Rock's pirate king speaks candidly about Mick, mortality and more in new cover story

By Rolling Stone October 7, 2015

Keith Richards gives one of his most revealing interviews in years in the new issue of Rolling Stone (on stands Friday). For the in-depth cover story, the Rolling Stones guitarist invited associate editor Patrick Doyle to hang out with him at Luc's in Ridgefield, Connecticut – an unassuming French bistro near Richards' house where he's a regular – and at the downtown New York studio where he recorded much of his new solo album, Crosseyed Heart.

Richards also invited Doyle to tag along with him as he promoted the album (at a radio interview, Richards told a producer he didn't want to see questions beforehand: "The only question I need to hear is, 'How do you plead?'" he joked). Along the way, the guitarist opened up about his friendship and adversity with Mick Jagger, his outlaw image, his plans for the next Stones album and what it's been like for him getting older.

Revelations from the story include:

Richards recently suffered a very painful injury, which he's been keeping secret.

When RS first caught up with Richards in Connecticut in mid-August, he had just come off the Stones' summer stadium tour. At the band's July 4th show in Indianapolis, Richards was running down the catwalk toward to stage during the sax solo of "Miss You" and tripped face-forward. "Somebody tossed a red straw boater hat, and it landed right in front of my feet," Richards says. "I kicked it aside – 'All right, that's out of the way' – and it @#$%& bounced back in front of me, and I hit the floor. And suddenly I'm on my hands and knees in front of 60,000 people. My bracelet came off from the shock. It was, 'OK, get out of this one, pal!"

"I might've cracked a rib," he says, placing his hand on his right side. "There's nothing doctors can do about it. I thought, 'Shit, if I let them know how much I'm hurting, the doctors and the insurance companies will be like, 'Cancel the next gigs.' @#$%& it. I'll live with it. After 50 year on the stage, you're going to fall over occasionally and take a knock."

He opens up about being a grandfather.

Richards has five grandchildren, age one to 19. "A couple of my grandsons, all they want to do is go on the road with me now," he laughs. "Well, maybe that isn't the best idea." One of them is Orson, who is 15 and looks like a young Keith, except with blond hair. "He likes to hang with me, but he got to go to school still," Richards says. "So I play scrabble with him, on my computer. It's the only thing I use the thing for. I give him the worst words I can think of: shithead, @#$%&."

Richards pokes fun at Donald Trump.

Richards recently ran into Trump at Saturday Night Live's 40th anniversary party. Backstage at a radio interview, Richards does his best Trump impression, hunching down and pursing his lips. "You're the greatest," he says, mimicking Trump saying hello to him and then swooping around to shake someone else's hand. "You're the greatest."

The previous night, Richards watched a Trump rally in Dallas on TV. "It was the Donald Trump show. He's got 'em by the balls right now. I don't know how long he can keep that show without changing the set list, but that's another thing. Meanwhile, his closest runner-up is a black neurosurgeon. Between the two of them, they've really smashed up the Republican party."

His 2006 brain injury was more serious than he let on.

Richards discusses at length the aftermath of his 2006 accident in which he fell off a branch in Fiji. "You take a blow like that, you kind of feel stunned for another year or two afterward, really," he says. "You know, you suddenly realize you've been semiconscious." One consequence of the accident was Richards had to stop using cocaine before gigs, and reduce his alcohol intake. Richards says it's helped with his post-show recovery time. "Take cocaine onstage, and you're drenched. Now, half an hour, drive me home, and I'm ready for anything."

Since reconciling with Mick Jagger and heading out on the road with the Stones in 2012, Richards has returned with a new attitude.

The guitarist has been working with Jagger on choosing the set lists for each show, which he hadn't done for years. "[Keith] is the first one in the rehearsal room and the last one to leave," says Pierre de Beauport, Richards' longtime guitar tech. "Nothing is going to happen without him there."

The Stones have agreed to record their first new album since A Bigger Bang – and Richards is talking to Mick Jagger about how to open up the Stones' sound:

"I think Mick Jagger is probably the best blues-harp player that I've ever heard that I've ever heard," Richards says. "He's up there with Little Walter – he amazes me. So we have this conversation: 'You phrase like that – why don't you try to sing more like that?' And Mick would say, 'It's two totally different things!' And my reply is, 'It's just blowing air out of your mouth.' When Mick is singing, he tends to phrase pretty much the same way as the record goes. Whereas on harp, he'll let it fly. That's basically what we talk about, and probably our bone of contention."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: October 7, 2015 19:00

DandelionPowderman
]

I did with mine, show loved it but then she is the one that turned me into a Stones fan.

Thanks

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 7, 2015 19:36

Thanks for the preview article, Christiano. Can't wait for the full length version. It seems that Keith and Mick are getting along very well and prospects for an album are looking goood! smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 7, 2015 19:48

The Stones have agreed to record their first new album since A Bigger Bang – and Richards is talking to Mick Jagger about how to open up the Stones' sound:

"I think Mick Jagger is probably the best blues-harp player that I've ever heard that I've ever heard," Richards says. "He's up there with Little Walter – he amazes me. So we have this conversation: 'You phrase like that – why don't you try to sing more like that?' And Mick would say, 'It's two totally different things!' And my reply is, 'It's just blowing air out of your mouth.' When Mick is singing, he tends to phrase pretty much the same way as the record goes. Whereas on harp, he'll let it fly. That's basically what we talk about, and probably our bone of contention."

C'mon guys, rock'n'roll'n'blues...that's all we want!! And a new producer!!

Date: October 7, 2015 19:48

My pleasure, latebloomer. Here's the cover:

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 7, 2015 20:01

Keith has a lot of mulch in the garage in the first photo.

Date: October 7, 2015 20:02

I like Keith's driveway. stone.

Date: October 7, 2015 20:03

shit he did hurt himself on the fall on the July 4 show. cracked a rib.

Date: October 7, 2015 20:21

holy crap Keith is watering with the hose. whats this world coming to

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: October 7, 2015 20:39

"I might've cracked a rib,"
If he had cracked a rib then he would know it. Breathing hurts. Moving hurts.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 7, 2015 21:00

tumbled
holy crap Keith is watering with the hose. whats this world coming to

My question (open to all photographers) is: Why do you stage THAT photo? Really, has ANYONE ever dressed that way to water the grass on a cloudy day? Really? There's nothing natural about that photo so my question is, why that particular staging? Notice the "coils" in the hose? Odds are that hose was brand new mere moments before the photo was snapped. Funny picture.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 7, 2015 21:06

Boognish
"I might've cracked a rib,"
If he had cracked a rib then he would know it. Breathing hurts. Moving hurts.

And he probably did "know it" or at least had an idea one way or the other. He just chose not to admit how serious the pain may have been in an effort to keep "the powers that be" from cancelling any shows.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home