Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10
Re: ALBUM TALK: Tattoo You
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: February 2, 2018 00:00

buttons67
when i got into the band in 1987 and was buying the back catalogue, between mid 1988 and mid 1989, i was drawn more to some albums than others. the big 4 plus tattoo you i preferred more than most. I didnt realize tattoo you was songs from different eras,the album sounded well produced compared to some girls which was a bit flat in comparison.

Yea, as for Some Girls - I love the songs and the performances of them, but I never liked the sound of that album. I've read that they deliberately wanted a trashy sound, but it kind of grates on me - too trebly and tinny. I think it would sound great if remastered to the sound quality of ER or TY.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: February 2, 2018 00:14

Miss You, Far Away Eyes, Beast Of Burden, Shattered and Before They Make Me Run don't sound trashy and trebly, though. They sound different than the rockers.

Date: February 2, 2018 17:21

"Some Girls" is IMO recorded very well. Whatever is there, seems intentional. Anything lo-fi can be paired with something of very Hi Fidelity.
The Snare in "Miss You", the drawn out 'aahs' of the BU vocals
I thought Keith's phased guitar on "Shattered" is recorded extremely well, as is Ronnie's Pedal Steel in the middle bridge.
Keith and Ron's guitars in "Beast of Burden", and the vocals. I guess the mix has to do with that one.
The way they added the acoustic guitars in the 'Some Girls" choruses; the lead breaks in that song too. I am not where I can listen, but I thought that Ron'e breaks were overdubbed
And then you get "Lies", and "Far Away Eyes", 'Imagination" that don't have all that much added on, and go for almost a Mono sound. still - the album sounds very unified. Very much it's own sound.
To me the one song that sounds a bit removed from the rest of album is "Before they make me run". I am thinking about it, and realize Keith prefers a dry, close, immediate sound. Never much reverb or hall. I think the lyrics on the album have a lot to do with the sound. they are topical, headlines, city life, so it should be in your face.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 2, 2018 17:27

Palace Revolution 2000
The way they added the acoustic guitars in the 'Some Girls" choruses; the lead breaks in that song too. I am not where I can listen, but I thought that Ron'e breaks were overdubbed

SOME GIRLS was an overdub extravaganza.

Date: February 2, 2018 17:31

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

And ER even more so..

Date: February 2, 2018 17:50

UNDERCOVER was the true follow up to EMOTIONAL RESCUE since there were no recording sessions for TATTOO YOU. There was just over a 3 year gap between recording for ER and U. U was the last inventive Stones album. They went way out there with that one.

The brilliance of the mix of TY is the different sessions involved for the songs. The older material had more bottom to it so Bob Clearmountain did his best to blend the sound of the newer recordings to sound full.

Why does Start Me Up, Hang Fire, Little T&A and Black Limousine not sound like SOME GIRLS? Because Clearmountain gave them some low end. To make them sound like the 1972 and 1975 recordings as well as the 1979 recordings (Heaven, Neighbours, No Use In Crying).

Jagger credits Bob Clearmountain, who mixed the record, for the cohesiveness of Tattoo You. "He did a great job of making it all a rather more homogeneous sound," Jagger says. "It sounds crisp, like it was recorded only yesterday."

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: February 3, 2018 05:09

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

And ER even more so..

An extravaganza? To o/d a few guitars, maybe a slide, stack some BU vocals is not an extravaganza. And besides, that wasn't even the point I was making. In "Some Girls" the song I felt that RW part sounds overdubbed. The Stones dont overdub very much. They might use 14, 15 tracks.
Foster The People - that's an overdub extravanganza.

Date: February 3, 2018 05:16

Palace Revolution 2000
But I really think that a major slice of credit has to go to Kimsey. Maybe more for "Start me Up' than for the album. Like Hopkins said 'a masterpiece recording', this is all about Kimsey. He remembered it, discovered it, mixed and produced it; you can say he made it. We have heard the basic tracks of it. It is a slow reggae groove. Now it is regarded as one of Keith's great riffs. Keith himself has said it isn't really so.

Bob Clearmountain mixed it. Kimsey made rough mixes for the Stones, probably more Jagger and Richards than Bill, Charlie and Ronnie, to listen to.

Date: February 3, 2018 05:33

matxil
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
JJHMick
...I never found a person who did not like Waiting On A Friend ...

Well not that I don't 'like' it, but I certainly don't think it's close to the masterpiece claimed by some. To me, it's just a decent track, cool that it's not much like anything they've done before, but overall not a 'must' to listen to.

matxil
...side B is pure art....

Eh ... again, it is good overall, but still not anywhere near what I would call 'pure art'. My favorites are Worried About You and Heaven, to me the rest are average to decent Stones tracks.

The waxy buildup in your ears fortunately can be addressed through some very simple techniques. Try lying on your side and having someone dribble warm, (not hot!) water into your ear canal...wait a minute, roll over and drain the water in your ear into a towel. gross, i know, especially if some orangey waxy buildup flows out onto the towel. When that happens though, success! Now. do the same in the other ear.

THEN, grab a vinyl copy of Tattoo You, and try listening to side two again, and please advise us of the results. I think you'll be pleased!

Probably hard for you to comprehend, not everyone has the same taste, favorites, etc. And since you can't seem to read, I didn't say I dislike it, only that it's not as great as some claim.

Every hear of Sticky Fingers? Try giving that a listen and then tell me TY is in the same ballpark.

SF is definitely one of their best albums, but I think Tattoo You is better (for me). It ages better, it shows more variety and it has more depth (especially the B side of course).
Actually, even of the "big four", as they are often called, I'd say Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed and Exile are superior to SF. And so is Tattoo You.

STICKY FINGERS is excellent. It's their best LP, in my mind. It's definitive. It was done during their biggest peak - as a songwriting/creative band, as a band in general, as a band with Mick Taylor, as a band that was on top of their influences and as a band that was finally in control of themselves artistically.

I love LET IT BLEED, which is excellent, and there are days or months when I think it's their best LP, but SF is better. By about -*- that much. TATTOO YOU is excellent and is one of their best LPs. Regarding their entire discography, TY is probably their second best album - arguably better than LIB. TY's that good, especially when held up to what all TY encompasses, just as LIB and SF (and EOMS) encompass: creative peaks. They're all excellent, of course. But TY is certainly the best LP since SF and they've never done one as good as TY yet alone anything from EOMS and earlier.

And the days when their best LPs move around in rank, TY is always in my top 3. There are times when BEGGARS falls out of the Top 5 and GOATS HEAD SOUP and UNDERCOVER rank higher in some aspect. But that's just moods. Of course BB is better than U and GHS - but that's how good those 'other' albums are. Or, more specific, that's how good they can be when one is not hung up on certain things. Critically is one thing, subjectively is another.

But one can not lose regardless.

Hell, the wonderful bastard child LP is BLACK AND BLUE... and sometimes even IORR.

Date: February 3, 2018 05:40

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
dcba
No DP I do mean Jagger.

About 25 years at a record fair I eavesdropped a conversation between a bunch of hardcore fans and a French man in his 40's. He was either a label exec or a sound engineer and the story he was telling stemmed from the late 70's/early 80's : he explained in detail how Jagger would direct an editing session from a long jam "enough of this guitar lick... cut that verse here... shorter... that's enough".

Jagger would direct dozens of micro-cuts/micro-edits till the uninspired stuff was out and only remained the best bits. Slowly the raw/long take would morph into a releasable song.
The guy who was telling the story was still in awe btw... grinning smiley Like so many other ppl working with/for the Stones was probably the apex of his whole career.

Now if you listen to "Slave I" from 1975 and the TY version you realize the same process took place : entire bars of music (the boring ones) have been left out. In what was kept the guitar and organ licks have been carefully examined and only the most inspired stuff has been kept.

My guess is Jagger did the deed. He also had the guts to tell Rollins his 1st pass at overdubbing the song wasn't good enough. winking smiley

Yeah, I've heard that, too, but I also know Kimsey's own recollection which was a bit different smiling smiley

Slave was masterfully done, though, but I like the longer Virgin-version even more. The long jam (with Ronnie's track included) should be TY Bonus material, imo

Listening to unedited tracks, like Slave or Emotional Rescue (brilliantly edited for the LP) and so many from the 1970s and early 80s, there's no reason to not think Jagger had a big hand in the edits. Either being there to tell someone what parts or approving them.

Editing a song can entail quite a few things but from what I've been able to discern, the Stones record, finish overdubs - and then edit. They do full mixes - ie the unedited song, and then use the mixdown for the edit (Emotional Rescue is a great example of that). I've been involved in editing, both with giving suggestions or telling whoever to do this and that, and it can get really funny. But it's always interesting.

But there's no reason not to think they've also had sections trimmed down to get right to it for overdubbing but I would think that doesn't happen often. A great example of how that wasn't done is listening to the full version of Love Is Strong - there's a blend in the middle break that blows my mind, because the full version has a screw up in it and how they got that edit to sound perfect, a little "trickery" was used on that.

I've not listened to the full version of Everything Is Turning To Gold in a long time but just listening to the released version, they HACKED that song up! It's very obvious.

Their live tracks, they've had some great editing (from STILL LIFE, Time Is On My Side, Imagination, the end of LSTNT with the screw up being replaced; the edit of Brown Sugar on LIVE LICKS is seamless) and some horrible editing - Brown Sugar on LOVE YOU LIVE and Rocks Off from LIVE LICKS are two of the best worst ones I can think of. Street Fighting Man is a bit of a jarring on LIVE LICKS. They should've used the Madison Square Garden PPV one - it's a thousand times better - even with Keith's screw up fixed.

As we were talking about TY, the main reason not to believe that Mick was the main force in the editing process is Kimsey's own description of what happened.

I'm sure Mick was good at pointing out parts to keep for different albums, but for TY Kimsey was sort of left alone with the long version, according to himself.

Keep in mind Bob Clearmountain mixed the songs - and that usually entails the entire track, with editing done after. So it's likely Mick had a big hand in "these are the parts that work" more so than Kimsey.

I suppose someone will have to find a way to ask Mick of this, if he can be bothered, since it's not the usual kind of questioning and would be a great interview about the details of how they recorded - most likely with a little prompting of some notes, hopefully, or possibly some photos.

Date: February 3, 2018 06:03

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

And ER even more so..

An extravaganza? To o/d a few guitars, maybe a slide, stack some BU vocals is not an extravaganza. And besides, that wasn't even the point I was making. In "Some Girls" the song I felt that RW part sounds overdubbed. The Stones dont overdub very much. They might use 14, 15 tracks.

The live recordings (the bottoms) were certainly used on SOME GIRLS - but there were, at times, a LOT of overdubs. Shattered is one example. There seemed to be a lot more vocal overdubs on SG than previous albums. But there were plenty of guitar overdubs. The title track has several. Shattered has a lot of overdubs. Beast Of Burden has a few guitar overdubs and of course vocal overdubs.

Henceforth, an overdub extravaganza! They did some great work on SOME GIRLS!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 3, 2018 07:31

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
JJHMick

Well not that I don't 'like' it, but I certainly don't think it's close to the masterpiece claimed by some. To me, it's just a decent track, cool that it's not much like anything they've done before, but overall not a 'must' to listen to.

matxil

Eh ... again, it is good overall, but still not anywhere near what I would call 'pure art'. My favorites are Worried About You and Heaven, to me the rest are average to decent Stones tracks.

The waxy buildup in your ears fortunately can be addressed through some very simple techniques. Try lying on your side and having someone dribble warm, (not hot!) water into your ear canal...wait a minute, roll over and drain the water in your ear into a towel. gross, i know, especially if some orangey waxy buildup flows out onto the towel. When that happens though, success! Now. do the same in the other ear.

THEN, grab a vinyl copy of Tattoo You, and try listening to side two again, and please advise us of the results. I think you'll be pleased!

Probably hard for you to comprehend, not everyone has the same taste, favorites, etc. And since you can't seem to read, I didn't say I dislike it, only that it's not as great as some claim.

Every hear of Sticky Fingers? Try giving that a listen and then tell me TY is in the same ballpark.

Look, we're just trying to help...no need to get that way.

Date: February 3, 2018 10:02

GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
Palace Revolution 2000

And ER even more so..

The live recordings (the bottoms) were certainly used on SOME GIRLS - but there were, at times, a LOT of overdubs. Shattered is one example. There seemed to be a lot more vocal overdubs on SG than previous albums. But there were plenty of guitar overdubs. The title track has several. Shattered has a lot of overdubs. Beast Of Burden has a few guitar overdubs and of course vocal overdubs.

Henceforth, an overdub extravaganza! They did some great work on SOME GIRLS!

Yes, they did. SOME GIRLS is a wonderful album.

Date: February 3, 2018 13:10

How many guitars are there on Dance? It's brilliantly done, but there must be 6 or 7 guitars in there..

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 3, 2018 15:05

Only Tattoo You version I have is vinyl...you guys think they're going to release a Deluxe version in 2021? That's a long time for me to wait as it's one of the only CDs I'm missing... (I love the Deluxe Some Girls - but the Exile one isn't that great aside from the pictures)

Date: February 3, 2018 15:23

FrogSugar
Only Tattoo You version I have is vinyl...you guys think they're going to release a Deluxe version in 2021? That's a long time for me to wait as it's one of the only CDs I'm missing... (I love the Deluxe Some Girls - but the Exile one isn't that great aside from the pictures)

The extended version of Slave makes the cd (Virgin) å must-have, imo.

Wouldn't mind a Deluxe-version.

Date: February 3, 2018 17:39

FrogSugar

Get the Virgin CD reissue.

Date: February 3, 2018 18:58

The TATTOO YOU Manhattan, New York video singles:

The first of the hilariously bad Studio Instrument Rentals Studios, NYC June 30th videos, Start Me Up - [www.youtube.com]

The excellent St. Marks Bar and wandering the streets of East Village, Waiting On A Friend - [www.youtube.com]

The second S.I.R Studios just as bad as Start Me Up hilarious Hang Fire video - [www.youtube.com]

The third of the S.I.R. Studios videos, Worried About You - [www.youtube.com]

The best of them all, from the Taft Hotel, Neighbours! - [www.youtube.com]

The singles:

Start Me Up b/w No Use In Crying released August 14, 1981

Waiting On A Friend b/w Little T&A released November 30, 1981

Hang Fire b/w Neighbours released April, 1982 US only

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 3, 2018 19:04

I have all three of those vinyl singles bought back in the day - actually two of each since my bro passed away.
Just looking at the the mini pics above brings back a flood of memories.

Date: February 3, 2018 19:11

I remember buying the Start Me Up 45, looking at the cover and thinking WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THOSE GUYS.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 3, 2018 19:17

GasLightStreet

Hang Fire b/w Neighbours released April, 1982 US only

Also released in Canada
[www.45cat.com]

and Australia.
[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 3, 2018 20:27

treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
JJHMick

matxil

what do you mean "that way"? If you're trying to come on to me, sorry I don't float that way, stick to your orangutans.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: February 4, 2018 03:51

@Dandelion / @GasLight : thanks, didn't realize there were two different versions out there! The one I borrowed from the library had the extended one (I'll have to sit down and compare them).

Date: February 4, 2018 11:48

FrogSugar
@Dandelion / @GasLight : thanks, didn't realize there were two different versions out there! The one I borrowed from the library had the extended one (I'll have to sit down and compare them).

More sax and one more guitar solo from Keith + some more Mick. Good stuff thumbs up

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: February 4, 2018 13:57

DandelionPowderman
FrogSugar

The extended version of Slave makes the cd (Virgin) å must-have, imo.

Wouldn't mind a Deluxe-version.

‘Twenty-four hours a day
Hey, why don't you go down to the supermarket, get something to eat
Steal something of the shelves
Pass by the liquor store, be back about quarter to twelve’

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: February 4, 2018 16:20

I have to address the silliness of the few that somehow claim Tattoo You is better than Sticky Fingers. It is beyond laughable ... To start, the slow songs on Sticky Fingers: I Got The Blues, Sister Morphine, Wild Horses, Moonlight Mile are far better than the slower songs on TY, it's not even close or comparable actually, it's 2 different worlds.

Then you have Brown Sugar, Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking, Bitch, You Gotta Move, all such brilliant tracks, that perhaps only Slave on side A comes close, with Start Me Up close behind.

So stop the crazy talk please!

Date: February 4, 2018 16:38

GasLightStreet
I remember buying the Start Me Up 45, looking at the cover and thinking WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THOSE GUYS.

yeah, the dog leg in the high heel was a bit disturbing...but sort of uber cool.

Date: February 4, 2018 16:41

LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
treaclefingers
LeonidP
JJHMick

matxil

what do you mean "that way"? If you're trying to come on to me, sorry I don't float that way, stick to your orangutans.

have you ever had a girl friend, (or boyfriend?). I'm not sure how that comment could be misconstrued as a 'come on'? Your orangutan comment is completely out of left field.

girl, you weird!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 4, 2018 19:55

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

yeah, the dog leg in the high heel was a bit disturbing...but sort of uber cool.

I always thought it was a goats foot (or hoof) - or at least that's what it resembles - which makes it even more disturbing,
But I'm not an animal foot/hoof specialist, so what do I know?

edit: Typed in "goat leg and hoof" in to google, clicked on images, and found this old thread discussion about the image:

Start Me Up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 20:09 by Hairball.

Date: February 4, 2018 21:03

Hairball
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

I always thought it was a goats foot (or hoof) - or at least that's what it resembles - which makes it even more disturbing,
But I'm not an animal foot/hoof specialist, so what do I know?

edit: Typed in "goat leg and hoof" in to google, clicked on images, and found this old thread discussion about the image:

Start Me Up

you sir, are probably correct...and we are now finally finding out what happened to some other parts of 'that goat'.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 6 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2170
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home