Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10
Re: ALBUM TALK: Tattoo You
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 19:50

Keith was busy with patti! Young love and all that :-) always wondered what she thought about little t&a

Date: September 11, 2015 20:00

Turner68
Keith was busy with patti! Young love and all that :-) always wondered what she thought about little t&a

Wonder why he wasn't allow to play that one? It made it swiftly into the setlist in 1988 before vanishing. And played a few times in 2006.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:02

I suppose it makes sense for some people to be impressed with TY being stitched together. But how different is it, other than the amount of calendar years and considering various studios, than STICKY FINGERS and EMOS, which are also stitched together LPs?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:04

Obviously the record responsible for the "Start Me Up" generation of Stones fans. Seems this record was truly important for that fact above all others. I wonder without that song if the Stones would have had the impetus to keep going. I mean without the success of SMU could the Stones have survived WW3?

Date: September 11, 2015 20:06

GasLightStreet
I suppose it makes sense for some people to be impressed with TY being stitched together. But how different is it, other than the amount of calendar years and considering various studios, than STICKY FINGERS and EMOS, which are also stitched together LPs?

Almost half of SF is from 1969. Quite a few from 69/70 on EOMS as well.

Date: September 11, 2015 20:12

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Right. Just... out of control, man.

Hilarious about EOMS considering what was not recorded in France that made EOMS. STICKY FINGERS should've been the double album!

(bold used to imply important statement to piss off roller99)

Date: September 11, 2015 20:14

Naturalust
Obviously the record responsible for the "Start Me Up" generation of Stones fans. Seems this record was truly important for that fact above all others. I wonder without that song if the Stones would have had the impetus to keep going. I mean without the success of SMU could the Stones have survived WW3?

I agree. Start me up - and tattoo you - probably Provided the glue to keep the band together. Also proved to mick that a guitar oriented song could still be a big hit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-11 20:31 by Turner68.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 11, 2015 20:32

Bashlets
Side 2 f_cking rules. It's right up there with side 2 of Exile.

+1

Date: September 11, 2015 21:58

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Hilarious about EOMS considering what was not recorded in France that made EOMS. STICKY FINGERS should've been the double album!

Hey, you guys were bandmates for a while. Be nice grinning smiley

Date: September 11, 2015 22:08

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

oh man... sticky fingers isn't a double album? i've been try to pull out the 2nd LP from behind the zipper for 30 years!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 11, 2015 23:13

Great album, great sound. Love finding out so many years later the origin of some of these cuts.

Please bring on "TATTOO TWO" >grinning smiley<

Date: September 11, 2015 23:31

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

oh man... sticky fingers isn't a double album? i've been try to pull out the 2nd LP from behind the zipper for 30 years!

Well, it was recently issued as one - with or without a can of treacle...

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 11, 2015 23:44

GasLightStreet

When you think about it, The Stones are the original musical ecologists -- they always recycle! I wonder how different this is from other rock bands of their era? They were REALLY good at taking years to work through things, keeping them at half-simmer, then finally becoming newly inspired and finishing something off in a form which often proved aesthetically and commercially successful.

I wonder how unusual a talent that is? Business-as-usual for any talented working band ... or rarer than hen's teeth?

Date: September 12, 2015 01:09

LongBeachArena72
GasLightStreet

When you think about it, The Stones are the original musical ecologists -- they always recycle! I wonder how different this is from other rock bands of their era? They were REALLY good at taking years to work through things, keeping them at half-simmer, then finally becoming newly inspired and finishing something off in a form which often proved aesthetically and commercially successful.

I wonder how unusual a talent that is? Business-as-usual for any talented working band ... or rarer than hen's teeth?

one of the last songs recorded by the beatles was one of the first they ever wrote, "The One after 909". written in '57, and recorded once and rejected in 1963. McCartney actually played it on tour last year.

i guess that's another way the stones are different... not playing "deep" tracks like that in concert ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-12 01:09 by Turner68.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 12, 2015 02:05

This is probably my favorite post Taylor album. Really love Tops, Heaven,and Waiting on a Friend. Who doesn't love Start Me Up?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-12 02:06 by TravelinMan.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: September 12, 2015 02:17

my 1st Rolling Stones album my fav Rolling Stones album

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: September 12, 2015 02:21

TravelinMan
This is probably my favorite post Taylor album. Really love Tops, Heaven,and Waiting on a Friend. Who doesn't love Start Me Up?

Even though Taylor is only on Tops? It's the last LP he appears on! 74 (of course, not 76, 78, 80) and 81!

Not bad for having left the band, that they pull up a track that he was on and not tell anyone.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 12, 2015 04:12

Why does he think he's on Waiting on a Friend?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 12, 2015 06:43

Side 2 baby, side 2, too, on Tattoo You. Side 2.
'Slave' is hot. Love 'Slave'. Funk me out. Here's Mick's rap:

'Twenty four hours a day
Hey, why don't you go down to the supermarket
Get something to eat, steal something of the shelves
Pass by the liquor store
Be back about quarter to twelve'
(Can you say it that fast? I can. Lots of practice.)
That's all I listen to on side 1, 'Slave'

I've written about 'Worried About You' before on IORR, I won't be redundant except to say it's my all time. I don't think I've listened to the same song more in my whole life.
Back in the day when it was new, side 1 held more fun (early 80's)
Now I'm 'Slave' and side 2.
Didn't surprise me to find out it's all 1970's Stones. But in the early 80's, we all thought it was fresh/ they got together again to create it at that time.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 12, 2015 06:49

powerful....and it came right at the pinnacle of the last great wave of the Rolling Stones...epic. Tops is one of my top 5-7 Stones songs.

Date: September 12, 2015 09:15

TravelinMan

it's pretty explicit. he likes men.

Posted by: Moonshine ()
Date: September 12, 2015 16:09

SMU- sounds a bit like a Stones cover band
Hf - little knockabout number, like the doo doos
Slave - good jam, the sax section especially
Little T&A - non pc lyrics but pretty good, the tracks are fading good news for him
BL - look at your face now baby and look at me. MJ's pop at Keith?
Neighbours - noisy nothing
W on a friend - like others have said, out stays it's welcome a bit
Tops - hardly a classic
Heaven - nice mood piece,nothing more
NUIC - the best one on s2 for me, like the mick n keith vocals
WOAF - touching video but the actual song not one of their best

Overall, fits pretty well as a piece bearing in mind we all know it's not. Production good as well but it should never be described as a classic

Date: September 12, 2015 16:33

TravelinMan

Because when they tracked it he was on it. However, the one bootleg of that version doesn't seem to feature his guitar in it. Nor is it in the LP version from what can be heard.

Tops should've been a single.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 12, 2015 16:43

Moonshine

tsk..tsk Moonshine..the "all in white" line gives it completely away...Bianca Jagger's signature color was white...especially in pant suits.

Date: September 12, 2015 17:05

Rip This
Moonshine

tsk..tsk Moonshine..the "all in white" line gives it completely away...Bianca Jagger's signature color was white...especially in pant suits.

Makes sense with the timing, stand corrected

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 12, 2015 17:21

I read an interview with Bill Wyman before the album same out where he said he liked every track on it and it was the first Stones album where this was true. Knew something good was coming.

The only thing that hurts the album for me is Jagger's falsetto voice. I think Worried About You is a good song but I can't listen to it much because of that. Really don't understand why he uses that voice live. I just came up with an indea. I am going to replace the album version with the Toronto 77 live version which I like much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-12 17:23 by stanlove.

Date: September 12, 2015 17:26

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

That's news to me!

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: September 12, 2015 17:53

stanlove
The only thing that hurts the album for me is Jagger's falsetto voice. I think Worried About You is a good song but I can't listen to it much because of that. Really don't understand why he uses that voice live.

The Jaggerfalsetto is my favourite falsetto. Worried About You is so great.
And when he uses it live ...that's the only time that he still sounds like he is in his 30's...

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: September 12, 2015 18:34

Tops
stanlove
The only thing that hurts the album for me is Jagger's falsetto voice. I think Worried About You is a good song but I can't listen to it much because of that. Really don't understand why he uses that voice live.

And when he uses it live ...that's the only time that he still sounds like he is in his 30's...

Sounds like an old guy singing like a girl to me.

Date: September 12, 2015 19:01

stanlove
Tops
stanlove

Sounds like an old guy singing like a girl to me.

The falsetto's ok, just the song is so so

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 2 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home