Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24
Re: some Girls...Album and track review
Date: February 7, 2013 14:49

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
It's good smiling smiley

Well, that seems to be democratically decided then. I think I'm an oldfashioned elitist, because I'm not part of the masses that seem to decide if something is good or not.

To step out of the herd can be a good thing, kleerie!

You get your kicks out of GHS, I turn to SG. No big deal, we love the same band. And there probably is something that you enjoy on SG, too, as I do on GHS smileys with beer

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 7, 2013 15:52

SG is an ok album, but nothing special as far as I am concerned. It's not The Rolling Stones I love.

They essentially have been atleast 3 different bands with a core membership which has been diluted as the years went by and a shared undercurrent of influences from roots music, European classical and popular music and all it's passing fashions.

The combination of the above which produced Some Girls just does not resonate with me. There's hardly any of the European flavour in there and I mostly hate the musical fashions of the late 70's. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-07 15:56 by His Majesty.

Date: February 7, 2013 16:40

Should have been named "New York"...

Posted by: JC21769 ()
Date: February 7, 2013 18:18

I liked the stories Richards told in his book about the Some Girls sessions, if they are accurate.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 7, 2013 18:23

JC21769
I liked the stories Richards told in his book about the Some Girls sessions, if they are accurate.

That´s my feeling thru the whole book.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 7, 2013 19:02

DandelionPowderman

Spot on Dandy, and it reflects my feelings of the album accurately. SG is musical fast food: it tastes well for a short period of time and then one's stomach starts to protest smiling smiley

You have to know that I loved the album during the first weeks, maybe even months! But after that time my appreciation went downhill. Well, Beast is a nice song, we agree on that one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:05

Palace Revolution 2000
Love this album. It puzzles me when in the GHS, IORR, B&B thread I see many posts stating that one of those 3 was the last great Stones album. They are all before SG, TY or UC.
(Even B2B, which IMO is the last great one)

I'm going to have to go back to B2B because although I like several tracks on there, Thief, Saint Of Me, OOC, there was a lot of junk that I remember.

The ballads I thought were horrid.

I know lots of people though really hold it up...I'm going for a fresh listen.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:11

treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000
Love this album. It puzzles me when in the GHS, IORR, B&B thread I see many posts stating that one of those 3 was the last great Stones album. They are all before SG, TY or UC.

I'm going to have to go back to B2B because although I like several tracks on there, Thief, Saint Of Me, OOC, there was a lot of junk that I remember.

don't lots of people do this do you. lots of people suck and are wrong, you know.

i just hate it when album haters think they got it wrong the first time...

Date: February 7, 2013 20:17

T&A
treaclefingers
Palace Revolution 2000

don't lots of people do this do you. lots of people suck and are wrong, you know.

i just hate it when album haters think they got it wrong the first time...

you're right.

Is "Already Over Me" going to sound better now that I'm 15 years older? No. I can't even remember the name of the second ballad that starts with an "A" but sounds the same. Oh yeah, "Always Suffering". That one should have been more than obvious.

Flick the Switch? How about flick the switch off, and leave it in that position?

Oh man, this is cathartic.

You're right T&A....if anything, I'm likely to get even more pissed off that I wasted time listening to it again.

Back to A Bigger Bang I guess...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 7, 2013 20:29

treaclefingers

DOH!

Date: February 7, 2013 20:38

T&A
treaclefingers

DOH!

Had to leave you a frickin' bone

Date: February 7, 2013 21:22

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Spot on Dandy, and it reflects my feelings of the album accurately. SG is musical fast food: it tastes well for a short period of time and then one's stomach starts to protest smiling smiley

You have to know that I loved the album during the first weeks, maybe even months! But after that time my appreciation went downhill. Well, Beast is a nice song, we agree on that one.

Why is NY fast food?

Didn't the mayor prohibit the huge McDonalds drinks there recently?

Date: February 7, 2013 21:51

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Why is NY fast food?

Didn't the mayor prohibit the huge McDonalds drinks there recently?

Well, actually it's a metaphore.
But now I understand that prohibition all the better. Don't let misguide you by those misleading measures.

Date: February 7, 2013 22:56

This fast food sticks around. SG didn't become my favorite right away. It actually took me some time to appreciate fully the concept and the wholeness of the album, something not to be found on many Stones records. Listened to it on my way home from work again today. What strikes me is the consistency and the completely perfected selection of songs they managed to write, perform and produce, right in the middle of such a difficult time for the band. Nothing but brilliant. And there are tons more from the most productive sessions ever by this band!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 8, 2013 05:39

Some Girls as bad as Dirty Work? What the? Man that is just some crazy talk. Some Girls was their firey return. Some one posted earlier it was their 70's Beggars, and I agree! Punk, funk, R and B, country, and balls the wall rock and roll. The band is locked in tight on the whole thing. And Ronnie, Mick and Keith all singing harmonies together. I remember reading a review in Cream, and how amazed they were of the harmonies from the Stones. Ronnis is allowed to be Ronnie, and shows a depth and versitality that was sublime and proved his place. They hit back hard! Grabbed the world's attention, dominated the charts, and showed the punks why no one can out punk Keith. And finally Jagger/Richards write a concept album singing about pain, loss, and anger in a way that hadn't been heard in a long time. And would rarely be seen again in the later part of their career. Every song, EVERY SINGLE SONG is worth it. A love letter to all things New York. And the production smacks you in the face. Finally, Bill and Charlie high in the mix propelling the entire band to keep up. Great cover! Great tour. The Stones were back with a smart and crisp rock and roll statement. "f v c K 'em if they can't take a joke!" Dripping with attitude and raunch. Love Some Girls!

Date: February 8, 2013 10:03

Ronnie's steel guitar playing on Far Away Eyes, and the unbelievably gentle and subtle stuff he does on Beast Of Burden should make his long time critics do 10 push ups every time they say he can't play smiling smiley

Posted by: Tantekäthe ()
Date: February 8, 2013 11:56

I was too young back then to take notice so I have no sense of this album's significance as a "return to form" or "gain their cultural relevance back" move. Instead, I rather take the hindsight perspective and tend to notice patterns on this album that I also find in much of their more recent output:
- the @#$%&-off attitude displayed in tunes like 'Lies' and 'Respectable' (both music and lyrics), which I feel is a bow to their own plagiarists rather than a credible statement of theirs. I admit that 'Star Star' had been an early precedent to this, in sad contrast to Exile's fresh, witty and original 'Rip this Joint' (play both back to back and you know what I mean). Their desparate 'plagiarizing the plagiarists' approach has become a plague since (sorry for the pun), prime examples being Let Me Go, Hang Fire, Neighbours, Fight, Had It With You, Mean Disposition, Driving Too Fast, Look What the Cat Dragged In, all of which having in common that fabricated 'punky edge' that had been heavily used on "Some Girls" for the first time.
- the overall lack of instrumental diversity. Since 'Some Girls', all the colours and flavours that had been added by the likes of Nicky Hopkins are gone. These additional musicians had not only made significant musical contributions of their own, but also the core members had used to feed off these bits and to play to them. This extra dimension is missed sorely since.
I happen to like some of the album, though, and it has one of my all time favourite Stones songs (Beast of Burden), but I hope you get my point.

Date: February 8, 2013 12:43

Nicky played on Emotional Rescue.

Play Rip This Joint and Lies back to back, and you'll find that both serve their purpose.

I can't agree to putting the lazy Let Me Go, the superb rockers Hang Fire and Neighbors and the Mick-driven (also guitar-wise) Driving Too Fast in the same bag. Look What The Cat Dragged In is a funk-tune, heavily inspired by INXS's I Need You Tonight.

Eventually, all bands come to a point where the past is creeping up on them. They can choose to do something entirely new, milking the past or to present a more versatile collection of songs.

IMO, the Stones did the latter with SG, maybe their most versatile album, together with Exile and Black And Blue:

Funk/Disco: Miss You
Rock'n'roll: Lies, Whip, Respectable
Soul-ish pop: Beast Of Burden, Imagination
New Wave: Shattered
Pop-rock: Before They Make Me Run
Country blues: Some Girls

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 8, 2013 15:10

whitem8
Some Girls as bad as Dirty Work? What the? Man that is just some crazy talk. Some Girls was their firey return. Some one posted earlier it was their 70's Beggars, and I agree! Punk, funk, R and B, country, and balls the wall rock and roll. The band is locked in tight on the whole thing. And Ronnie, Mick and Keith all singing harmonies together. I remember reading a review in Cream, and how amazed they were of the harmonies from the Stones. Ronnis is allowed to be Ronnie, and shows a depth and versitality that was sublime and proved his place. They hit back hard! Grabbed the world's attention, dominated the charts, and showed the punks why no one can out punk Keith. And finally Jagger/Richards write a concept album singing about pain, loss, and anger in a way that hadn't been heard in a long time. And would rarely be seen again in the later part of their career. Every song, EVERY SINGLE SONG is worth it. A love letter to all things New York. And the production smacks you in the face. Finally, Bill and Charlie high in the mix propelling the entire band to keep up. Great cover! Great tour. The Stones were back with a smart and crisp rock and roll statement. "f v c K 'em if they can't take a joke!" Dripping with attitude and raunch. Love Some Girls!
you are 100% correct.then for tattoo you the stones mined the vaults and things have never been the same since .

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: February 8, 2013 16:40

Not my favorite, may be true that it does not include one single bad tune but the production is just awful.

If they re-recorded the whole album with a completley different sound and production then it maybe would be a great album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-08 16:42 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: February 8, 2013 16:47

TheBlockbuster
Not my favorite, may be true that it does not include one single bad tune but the production is just awful.

If they re-recorded the whole album with a completley different sound and production then it maybe would be a great album.

It is indeed a very trebly sound, that hurts a bit when played really loud - but a bad production, no way! Chris Kimsey was a fantastic mixer, a real wizard. And the guitar sound on this album is absolutely stellar. The drums are a bit light, and this is one of the best bass sounds you'll find on a Stones record.

What exactly is wrong with the production?

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: February 8, 2013 17:25

Ket
Next to Exile their best album.

Yes. I agree. It is a really good album.

Date: February 8, 2013 19:45

DandelionPowderman
Ronnie's steel guitar playing on Far Away Eyes, and the unbelievably gentle and subtle stuff he does on Beast Of Burden should make his long time critics do 10 push ups every time they say he can't play smiling smiley

Actually I do 10 push ups every day, in fact even 11 when I feel like it. Believe me, it keeps you fit.

Date: February 8, 2013 23:10

I'm sure you can manage a few more, kleerie. Will get you in wonderful shape before the tour smiling smiley

Date: February 9, 2013 00:37

DandelionPowderman
I'm sure you can manage a few more, kleerie. Will get you in wonderful shape before the tour smiling smiley

and I try and I try and I try .... winking smiley

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: February 10, 2013 01:20

Perfect Rolling Stones kitsch.

Date: February 10, 2013 03:28

"Shattered" - mighty fine Jagger.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: December 31, 2014 21:10

Are any SOME GIRLS songs played in open-G (guitar)? Start Me Up is from those same sessions, so it's possible.

Date: January 1, 2015 17:18

Title5Take1
Are any SOME GIRLS songs played in open-G (guitar)? Start Me Up is from those same sessions, so it's possible.

Before They Make Me Run (Keith)
Some Girls (Mick)

Date: November 22, 2023 16:19

Where the cover idea came from:

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 23 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2068
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home