Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 22 of 24
Re: some Girls...Album and track review
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 4, 2013 21:26

Title5Take1
Ex-Mayor of New York, Ed Koch, died last week and the WSJ today wrote about the state of New York City when he came on the scene. Mick Jagger has said it was that broken-down New York that SHATTERED was about.

"Don't you know the crime rate's going up, up, up, up, up!
To live in this town you must be tough, tough, tough, tough, tough!"

Here's the NYC of SHATTERED in today's WSJ (excerpt):

"Between 1969 and 1977, New York lost an inconceivable 600,000 jobs and 200,000 housing units. The city had vast stretches of abandoned industrial sites, vacated apartment buildings, gas stations and storefronts as well as empty lots over run with garbage. Crime kept rising and morale kept falling.

"But not even the collapse could shake New York's political culture. The city's 1977 Democratic mayoral primary brought out a pack of traditional liberals, including Congresswoman Bella Abzug, New York Secretary of State Mario Cuomo and the hapless incumbent, Abe Beame. They all had union backing of one sort or another, and the next mayor seemed certain to emerge from their ranks.

"Then came the July 1977 blackout and widespread looting and arson. Most of the Democratic candidates talked about how the city needed to become a more caring place. Only one candidate, Ed Koch, who was an also-ran until then, called for bringing in the National Guard to knock heads. He surged to the fore."
also lets not forget the summer of sam .son of sam was on a killing spree!

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 5, 2013 03:02

one of the best stones album,with so many diffrent kind of music,rock,blues,disco,
country and punk too,play it LOUD at party and let rock.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 5, 2013 06:32

Some Girls has always been one of my personal favorites. it is however a devisive album amongst older Stones fans. It is such a departure from the Mick Taylor years. Ronnie was fully incorporated into the band for Some Girls and the sound is a lot different than even Black And Blue. My sister who was a fan of the 60's Stones hates this album. I don't know how to describe the guitar sound but it's ther for Some Girls, ER and some of Tattoo You. Maybe its just Ronnie. I thought it brought life back to the band. They had something to say and did it with a raw and energetic album. It is the last truely great Rolling Stones "new" album of course Tattoo You is great but the songs were not new. The band was on a roll in Paris as evidenced from all of the out takes and the expanded Some Girls deluxe release.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 5, 2013 07:11

71Tele
Good points, DP! The bridges are indeed one thing musically different about these songs, as well as the three-guitar onslaught (which I have mentioned). Also agree about Wood's role. On that note, I am not known here as a Ron Wood fan (that's an understatement!), but SG really shows how they integrated Wood into the band and at the same time created a "new" Rolling Stones sound. This could have led to wonderful things, but alas, did not, and instead we were treated to a gradually diminishing role for Wood in the studio. But for exactly one album (or 1 1/2 if you include the tunes held back for Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You) we had a really interesting new guitar approach from the Stones that played to Wood's strengths rather than his weaknesses (which were glaringly apparent on songs in the live shows that pre-dated his being in the band).

I much prefer Wood's guitar work with Rod Stewart/Faces to anything he's done with the Stones. Songs like "Stay With Me" have a great dirty rock and roll guitar sound that I assumed would mesh really well with the Rolling Stones, but he went in a completely different, and to my ears completely uninteresting, direction.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 5, 2013 13:55

to me the best track on some girs is faraway eyes ,the lyrics ,ronnie'e pedal steel playing is some of the best .next for me is a toss up between shattered and respectable.shattered with the killer lyrics and ronnie and keith's guitar work .not to be forgotten is when the whip comes down ,the stones at there raunchy finest.some girls is a awesome title track with the fun lyrics.lies just flat out rocks !!!!!!!

Posted by: minorbyrd ()
Date: February 5, 2013 15:15

I like it - but if a few tracks weren't there ( Beast Of Burden, Respectable, Faraway Eyes), I probably wouldn't like it as much. When I watched 'Shine A Light', I got a bit frustrated that (what seemed like - may be wrong) more than a few tracks from this album were performed. It was good at the time - & Miss You would have had a big influence on sales - but it ranks lower for me than the BB-GHS era. But I'm just nit-picking - for any other band/artist it would be rated a 'classic album' these days.

Date: February 5, 2013 15:55

minorbyrd
I like it - but if a few tracks weren't there ( Beast Of Burden, Respectable, Faraway Eyes), I probably wouldn't like it as much. When I watched 'Shine A Light', I got a bit frustrated that (what seemed like - may be wrong) more than a few tracks from this album were performed. It was good at the time - & Miss You would have had a big influence on sales - but it ranks lower for me than the BB-GHS era. But I'm just nit-picking - for any other band/artist it would be rated a 'classic album' these days.

Wouldn't it always be like that? winking smiley

Date: February 5, 2013 16:05

DandelionPowderman
minorbyrd

Absolutely - It's a miracle if I can listen to a newish album more than once now. I don't know whether it's because they're bad or because I've reached my 40s. I suspect it's because the albums are bad!

Date: February 5, 2013 16:10

minorbyrd
DandelionPowderman
minorbyrd

Absolutely - It's a miracle if I can listen to a newish album more than once now. I don't know whether it's because they're bad or because I've reached my 40s. I suspect it's because the albums are bad!

Date: February 5, 2013 16:19

minorbyrd
minorbyrd
DandelionPowderman
minorbyrd

:

Sorry - noted bold text - Yes, you're right, that's usually the norm about a few songs making an album. But I am more picky about Some Girls. Tattoo You, B&B, IORR, GHS for example I'm not. But if anyone outside of here disses Some Girls, I would tell them off, it's a good album.

Date: February 5, 2013 16:26

Indeed it is - my favourite! smileys with beer

Together with Exile and Black And Blue SG is the most versatile Stones album. Black And Blue has too few songs, though. And Exile is something on its own; a double album without THE ultimate song. SG has 4 outstanding songs: Miss You, Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes and Before They Make Me Run.

The rest is only very good, imho winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-05 16:29 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: February 6, 2013 04:23

Dandelion - I think SG has more than four outstanding songs. Miss You, When the Whip Comes Down, Just My Imagination (I LOVE their take of this song!!!), Far Away Eyes, Before They Make Me Run, Beast of Burden and Shattered are all outstanding in my opinion. The only clunker is Lies.

Date: February 6, 2013 10:30

slew
Dandelion - I think SG has more than four outstanding songs. Miss You, When the Whip Comes Down, Just My Imagination (I LOVE their take of this song!!!), Far Away Eyes, Before They Make Me Run, Beast of Burden and Shattered are all outstanding in my opinion. The only clunker is Lies.

I agree that all the songs you mention are great, but I would include Lies as well.

However, Miss You Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes and Before They Make Me Run is up there with the best they've ever done, imo. As great as Whip and Shattered are, they're more like fantastic grooves with great lyrics, not as well-crafted as the other. But I really cherish those songs. Imagination, too, even though I like the live versions the most.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:40

DandelionPowderman
slew

I agree that all the songs you mention are great, but I would include Lies as well.

However, Miss You Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes and Before They Make Me Run is up there with the best they've ever done, imo. As great as Whip and Shattered are, they're more like fantastic grooves with great lyrics, not as well-crafted as the other. But I really cherish those songs. Imagination, too, even though I like the live versions the most.

How in Jezus' name can one consider Miss You and Far Away Eyes as "up there with the best they've ever done"? Unimaginable. Even BTMMR isn't. Beast is the only decent song on this album. JMI is just a cover and not even an interesting one. Maybe T&A can answer this question. He has the brains of an Einstein.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 6, 2013 18:47

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
slew

How in Jezus' name can one consider Miss You and Far Away Eyes as "up there with the best they've ever done"? Unimaginable. Even BTMMR isn't. Beast is the only decent song on this album. JMI is just a cover and not even an interesting one. Maybe T&A can answer this question. He has the brains of an Einstein.

johnny einstein, right? i think that's the name of the old guy down the hall...

miss you and fae are definitely top shelf songs. ever is a long time, though. i'll check with johnny and see what he thinks....

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 6, 2013 19:02

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 6, 2013 20:26

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
slew

It's easy, I do too. Actually MY is in the top ten list.

C

Date: February 6, 2013 23:02

If you don't like funk or country I get you, kleermaker. If you do, I don't know what to say. Remember, there is a reason why 8 million people bought this album...

Date: February 6, 2013 23:48

DandelionPowderman
If you don't like funk or country I get you, kleermaker. If you do, I don't know what to say. Remember, there is a reason why 8 million people bought this album...

What reason?

Date: February 7, 2013 00:00

It's good smiling smiley

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: February 7, 2013 00:50

Edward Twining
kleermaker
I won't spoil all the fun here.

Just some questions to Doxa and Tele.

Doxa, you said: "Let's just say that it [Some Girls] is the BEGGARS BANQUET of the 70's - it saved their career and gave them a new life."

Could/Would you explain that and what "new life" do you exactly mean? And how long did it last? Any opinions on the title of this album?

Tele, you actually said: "SG is smart and fun at the same time". Really? Smart? Smart music?

I'm with you, Kleermaker, i can't warm to 'Some Girls' however many times i listen to it. There is no denying, however, that it's a very well presented album, certainly in terms of the actual sequencing, maybe in that regard it can be compared with Beggars Banquet, where all the pieces fit together perfectly. There is a remarkable freshness to it, but at the same time it does sound incredibly facile and lacking in any real depth. I really don't think it's aged that well in many ways, and the feeling i have is that it is Jagger trying very hard to emulate the attitude of punk. Certainly 'Some Girls' isn't the first time the Stones have been influenced by contemporary sounds, they have spent their career being so, but it is perhaps the first time they have been influenced by a youth culture generation much younger than themselves, who are in many ways out to make a fresh start, by blowing away all those 'tired' old musical dinousaurs. In that regard there are many punk like elements within Jagger's phrasing which sounds incredibly contrived, and songs like 'Lies' for example, sound so derivative from the punk attitude, it is almost laughable in terms of one being expected to be swallowed up with them coming from Jagger's mouth. That's not to say everything with Some Girls contains that punk vibe - i think the element of disco with 'Miss You' works well, in addition to 'Beast Of Burden', and 'Faraway Eyes' is a country novelty song, a while after the Stones had dispensed with that genre on a large scale. I believe in the late seventies the Stones has several optons, because in many ways punk was in danger of making them seem irrelevant. I give them credit in the fact that they rose to the challenge. As Doxa has indicated, Some Girls was the dawning of a new age for the Stones because punk inspired them to shake things up a little, when it appeared their relevance was fading fast. Stripping their sound down and becoming a little less heavy really saw them through to the 81-82 tour, and gave Ronnie a role in the band's sound, apart from just trying to emulate the members that have gone before him.

However, whether Some Girls really touches me is a very different matter, like many of their previous albums tend to do, in terms of stimulating the senses so to speak. Had it not been for the punk explosion, it is doubtful the Stones would ever have envisaged recording such an album. In those terms i'm doubtful Some Girls is really a truly genuine Stones album, at least with regard to it being the group's preferred style (maybe apart from what i read concerning Jagger's view). It's certainly of it's time, for sure, but whether it can transcend time like the big four, i seriously have my doubts.

When it came out, me and my friends listened to it non-stop for about a year. It was the perfect antidote for the times where I lived. I was 17. Somehow I wish they could've followed it up with a lot more of the same. But at least we have it, and the Live in Texas DVD, and the SNL appearance. That's also the year that the Last Waltz came out. I think it has aged just fine. Before They Make Me Run on the Pay Per View was great. I wonder if that's the only open G song on Some Girls?

Date: February 7, 2013 01:02

DandelionPowderman
It's good smiling smiley

Well, that seems to be democratically decided then. I think I'm an oldfashioned elitist, because I'm not part of the masses that seem to decide if something is good or not.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 7, 2013 03:07

DandelionPowderman

8 million sales does not necessarily mean 8 million people have bought the album. grinning smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 7, 2013 03:21

I'm with Kleermaker here. There are some reasons why this album was so succesful but the quality of the songs were not the main reasons. Just very few outstanding songs.But the album was very approachable, came at the right time and had a huge crossover hit with MY.

Date: February 7, 2013 03:36

T&A - I am usually in agreement with you. Not here. Just My Imagination is a great cover the song is full of energy. Miss You is a great song it has just been played to death. i'd agree its not up there with the greatest they've ever done but still a great song. Some Girls to me is the 6th best album they have ever put out after the big four and Aftermath.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: February 7, 2013 08:57

The Best Ronnie album.

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: February 7, 2013 11:24

I like Some Girls, but perhaps not as much as most of their previous work. I do agree it was the last album where they felt like a team. I think it was also the last time Keith really was on top of his game as a writer, vocalist, or player and that's key. Once those harmonies of his went sour, it kind of ruined their vocal blend.

Tattoo You is cool, but it's hard to say when the various parts were laid down. Take Little T&A, Keith's voice had changed, but not nearly as much as it had by Wanna Hold You. I know at very least parts were overdubbed after the 1979 session that it first came from, so when did he cut the final lead. To my ears the one with the alternate vocals sounds a bit clearer so it would be earlier.

Date: February 7, 2013 11:33

Love this album. It puzzles me when in the GHS, IORR, B&B thread I see many posts stating that one of those 3 was the last great Stones album. They are all before SG, TY or UC.
(Even B2B, which IMO is the last great one)

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 7, 2013 12:43

Up there with the big four for me, and along with Exile and Ya-Ya's my fave album: the three albums with the most live feel. Like others said, it's almost an encyclopedia of musical styles of the '70's. Even Lies, the weakest track - must be like walking past a garage in NY in '77 and hearing a punk band play. Totally love ronnie on SG.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: February 7, 2013 14:44

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

8 million sales does not necessarily mean 8 million people have bought the album. grinning smiley

You got me there smiling smiley

I've been at both sides of the fence, I should know... winking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 22 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home