Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Main Offender revisited
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 25, 2015 23:15

DandelionPowderman
One can be critical AND love Main Offender smiling smiley

You are such a positive person Dandi
It really is nice to have you around
Kill em with kindness, i like your style smiling smiley

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 26, 2015 00:57

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

No need to kill anybody. Remember, you like dirty work. That is a minority opinion on this board as well. So be nice and don't use words like kill and hideous, meaning other peoples opinion :-)

Date: August 26, 2015 01:11

deardoctor
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

No need to kill anybody. Remember, you like dirty work. That is a minority opinion on this board as well. So be nice and don't use words like kill and hideous, meaning other peoples opinion :-)

You think saying kill em with kindness is an offensive saying
Can you not comprehend the context with which that was written in
I was thanking Dandi for continually defusing awkward moments between posters
That's positive, its not offensive talk is it
Killing them with kindness does not mean you are actually killing them. It means that, when someone is causing you trouble you don't show that it is bothering you. You smile and pile on the kindness. Eventually, the theory goes, the person will stop bothering you

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-26 01:15 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 28, 2015 00:36

keefriffhards
deardoctor
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

Killing them with kindness does not mean you are actually killing them. It means that, when someone is causing you trouble you don't show that it is bothering you. You smile and pile on the kindness. Eventually, the theory goes, the person will stop bothering you

not sure what the good doctor was on about but in a rare moment I agree with you here your riffness.

Date: August 28, 2015 00:47

treaclefingers
keefriffhards
deardoctor
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman

not sure what the good doctor was on about but in a rare moment I agree with you here your riffness.

Well bless your heart treacle im touched

Date: August 28, 2015 01:45

Had another spin now. Hate It When You Leave is brilliant thumbs up

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: August 28, 2015 03:29

its really grown on me. I played it over and over when it first came out. I always thought it was like a demo album. Some of the songs just didnt seem complete like TIC. Overall, I actually like it over TIC now. Like anything, time is the real test whether good music holds up or not. Really looking forward to the new album. From the songs I've heard it has the lyrics of TIC and the rawness of MO.

Date: August 28, 2015 03:41

DandelionPowderman

Hate it when you say that

Posted by: nick ()
Date: August 28, 2015 04:58

Killing them with kindness stripped down still is someone trying to under your skin.
Main Offender is Keith's Dirty Work.
Key To The Highway on the Japan CD is a moot point because it's on the Eileen single which has live tracks no where else.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 28, 2015 05:00

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

You guys are making my heart a little cross eyed.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 28, 2015 12:24

nick
Killing them with kindness stripped down still is someone trying to under your skin.
Main Offender is Keith's Dirty Work.
Key To The Highway on the Japan CD is a moot point because it's on the Eileen single which has live tracks no where else.

That's the point but I'm tired to discuss with that gut.
Isn't Key to the highway orginally taken from a Johnny Johnson Album where keith sung as a guest? Later it was included in the Eileen single which contains the maybe best live version of gimme shelter. I actually like the single more that the album

Date: August 28, 2015 13:17

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

There's a demon in you.

Date: August 29, 2015 00:11

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

There's a demon in you.

Make no mistake about it.

Date: August 29, 2015 00:33

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

There's a demon in you.

You ought to be locked away.

Date: August 29, 2015 01:02

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

There's a demon in you.

Anyone for tennis

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2015 01:30

Great album. Enough said.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 29, 2015 01:31

keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

There's a demon in you.

Anyone for tennis

LOLFL

Date: August 29, 2015 01:57

Turner68
keefriffhards
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

There's a demon in you.

Anyone for tennis

LOLFL

FLLOLFL

Posted by: rockville ()
Date: August 30, 2015 21:39

The guitar sound on Main Offender is great and the songs have nice textures.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 30, 2015 21:42

Words Of Wonder is spectacular.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 31, 2015 07:16

hypnohighball
keefriffhards
No need to re visit Main Offender, I never left it
I'm still sulking because i heard Keith won't tour behind Crosseyed Heart sad smiley

The Japan cd has a bonus track, too : "Key To The Highway".

... which oddly is the exact same track/version that was on Johnny Johnson's "Johhny B. Bad", featuring Keith, of course! And release 2 years prior to Main Offender.

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: August 31, 2015 13:57

Dissapointing boring album

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 31, 2015 14:13

This album has certainly grown on me a lot. Originally a bit disappointing after Talk Is Cheap, the album now works very well as a mood-setter.

"999" --> GOOD/OKAY
"Wicked as It Seems" --> FANTASTIC, One the best Stones/solo-Stones-member output of the last 30 years
"Eileen" --> GOOD
"Words of Wonder" --> GOOD
"Yap Yap" --> NOT SO GOOD
"Bodytalks" --> NOT SO GOOD
"Hate It When You Leave" --> FANTASTIC. The highlight of the album.
"Runnin' Too Deep" --> GOOD. As commented before, very similar to the next song, but still, it works.
"Will but You Won't" --> GOOD. As commented before, very similar to the previous song, but still, it works. The similarity between the two songs is obvious but they put a different twist to the basic idea. Putting the two songs one after the other, makes me think they must have been very aware of the similarity, but wanted to stress the point of: look we are doing the same thing, but going in different directions with it. Maybe I read too much in it, the thing is that listening to these songs, I like it.
"Demon" --> OKAYISH

Date: August 31, 2015 14:36

<"999" --> GOOD/OKAY>

I agree. However, the sound of those riffs ringing is nothing but spectacular. So there is more it than just the composition and the structure. Keith sound is almost like a statement to the grungers: This is how it's supposed to be done! grinning smiley

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 10:18

It peaked at #99 in the US charts which seems appropriate. I listened to it at one time and thought it was okay but found myself forcing myself to like it and failing, and thought Keith's comment in ACCORDING that "the X-pensive Winos...was probably one of the best rock'n'roll bands in the world" was almost delusional...or perhaps a case of "in the kingdom of the blind the man with one eye is king." When Keith went on in LIFE about him and John Lennon butting heads because they were both "alpha males" I thought that the sales and modest quality of Main Offender didn't exactly shore up his self-proclaimed alpha status.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 8, 2015 13:06

Love Keith, have all his official solo stuff. Really dig this record. But somehow, hiding in plain sight, I "rediscovered" 999. That is a great opener. Always loved Wicked... So probably just jumped straight to it. Today in the car though,999 kicked my drive off. Fantastic song. Just love it. Top album, apart from that whiny Eileen.

Rod

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 10:23

bitusa2012
Love Keith, have all his official solo stuff. Really dig this record. But somehow, hiding in plain sight, I "rediscovered" 999. That is a great opener. Always loved Wicked... So probably just jumped straight to it. Today in the car though,999 kicked my drive off. Fantastic song. Just love it. Top album, apart from that whiny Eileen.

You don’t like Eileen? Keith on auto-pilot, right? Still, it’s better than ‘Oh no not you again,’ which is Mick on auto-pilot. But yeah Eileen’s riff is a little tired, still attractive mind, but in sore need of a boob job. Don’t you agree? So let’s replace the chorus, that whiny Eye-leeeeaan refrain, with the chorus from ‘Wanna Hold You,’ another uninspired track written in Keith’s sleep. Can you feel me? Play it in your mind. On its rerelease this hybrid baby becomes a chart topper and one of Keith’s most beloved tunes (it might need a new title though).

When you think about it, after the vaults are emptied, swapping choruses of mediocre songs may be the only way forward for the Stones.

Date: September 16, 2015 10:33

I love Eileen! It has the best of Keith and a pop-ish catchiness at the same time.

The break in the middle is lovely.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 16, 2015 11:08

Eileen is a song that I like very much, why shouldnt he do a catchy pop-song? It´s not the best track on the album, not even among the top five, but still enjoyable.

Btw. Oh No Not You Again of course isnt "Mick on auto-pilot". This is how the Stones sound like. If this in "on auto-pilot" most Stones-rockers since the early 70s are "on auto-pilot". It´s just their trademark sound, this is THE ROLLING STONES.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 16, 2015 11:44

Swayed1967
bitusa2012

You don’t like Eileen? Keith on auto-pilot, right? Still, it’s better than ‘Oh no not you again,’ which is Mick on auto-pilot. But yeah Eileen’s riff is a little tired, still attractive mind, but in sore need of a boob job. Don’t you agree? So let’s replace the chorus, that whiny Eye-leeeeaan refrain, with the chorus from ‘Wanna Hold You,’ another uninspired track written in Keith’s sleep. Can you feel me? Play it in your mind. On its rerelease this hybrid baby becomes a chart topper and one of Keith’s most beloved tunes (it might need a new title though).

When you think about it, after the vaults are emptied, swapping choruses of mediocre songs may be the only way forward for the Stones.

There is only two of them. "Satisfaction" and now this new one "Robert Plant". Keith says they are great, so I guess they are.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home