Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Stones, no strings
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 08:10

I've thought for some time that if they wanted to goose up their concerts the band could so a string section set within a set. They'd only need three or four pieces and could do a lovely trio of songs like Angie, As Tears Go By, and Moonlight Mile. (Among other candidates). They think they all they can do is one or more slow songs before the audience fades, but past audiences reacted very well to the acoustic set they did on the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Re: The Stones, no strings
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 19, 2015 11:06

Wonderful idea! It would add something 'new' to the show.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 11:27

The Stones are the world´s greatest Rock n Roll Band, adding strings sucks. This would be TORTURE. The day the Stones bring a string section on stage, I throw my Stones-record collection out of my window. The Stones in concert with strings, what a weird idea... it was hard enough to live with the keyboards 1989/90.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 11:32

Singer/harmonica, 2 guitars, bass, drum, piano, maybe some sax, rarely Hammond organ: that's enough for a blues band who plays rock'n'roll !!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-19 13:00 by 1962.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 19, 2015 11:44

Might work on a couple songs, Ruby Tuesday and Moonlight Mile come to mind but I don't want strings being played all over the place that would not add anything.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:39

I think it would work well. They had them on the records so why not live?

Date: August 19, 2015 13:07

Singer/harmonica, 2 guitars, bass, drum, piano, maybe some sax, rarely Hammond organ: that's enough for a blues band who plays rock'n'roll !!!

Come on guys... 1962 is completely right.
Why not having the Boston Pops playing and Jagger singing? You want strings, go to the opera. I prefer to go to a Rock n Roll concert.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 19, 2015 14:19

Sax - very important in my opinion. RIP Bobby and Ernie Watts was incredible. Hampton - Best version ever of LIB

Horns (yes but only for a limited set of songs like Rocks Off or Bitch)

Strings ...no....however...

I would love to hear Winter with MT on guitar and a string section. But that's maybe something for a MJ solo concert.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:01

I woulnd´t want no fiddler in "my" Stones show. Not even in the countryesque songs. Fiddles aka strings were mostly used to soup up mediocre pop songs in recents decades, weren´t they? Sheryl Crow had a fiddle on stage a couple of years ago - didn´t work for me, though I admire that lady´s music and rock performances.
Back to the RS: strip ´em down (musically), don´t string em up.
just my two cents...

Fillmore, cheers again.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:09

I'm confused, the title says 'no strings', yet you want an acoustic set?

Date: August 19, 2015 15:18

The Stones should have their songs newly arranged for strings and orchestra and do a "tour-of-the-oprys" in 2016. The choir on YCAGWYW was only the first step in the right direction. Strings are the future of rock n roll - smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:51

Nothing like that, the 69/78 line up is the best, the great five + piano player (or: the five + MT + piano player).

Posted by: dgiorr ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:56

Fillmore
I woulnd´t want no fiddler in "my" Stones show. Not even in the countryesque songs.

"Faraway Eyes," Ft. Worth, 1978, with Doug Kershaw is a highlight of that show and tour.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:56

As long as they don't sink to jockstraps...

Date: August 19, 2015 15:58

dgiorr
Fillmore
I woulnd´t want no fiddler in "my" Stones show. Not even in the countryesque songs.

"Faraway Eyes," Ft. Worth, 1978, with Doug Kershaw is a highlight of that show and tour.

At least the last half of it, as Doug had major sound problems during the first half of the song smiling smiley

Date: August 19, 2015 16:41

RobertJohnson
Nothing like that, the 69/78 line up is the best, the great five + piano player (or: the five + MT + piano player).

I must say I do think sax, horns and organ actually very much add something to their Music.

That's why 72-73 and 81 are my favourite tours.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 19, 2015 17:30

Hey, don't get me wrong: anything 'new' is welcome. Strings would add a nice flavour to some slower songs.

If it were up to me, the next tour would have a screaming, howling hammond organ.

Date: August 19, 2015 17:32

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefined
If it were up to me, the next tour would have a screaming, howling hammond organ.

Yes!

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 17:48

would work well if limited to 2 or 3 songs per gig and rotated so its a different 2 or 3 songs.

lady jane
as tears go by
no expectations
angie
sittin on a fence

would be songs to consider.

they could also introduce an oldies section where they could do 3 or 4 short versions of songs from the 1964-65 period which they frequently neglect and have done so for years in concert.

take out one of the 10 or 11 minute warhorses they really dont need to play for the eight hundredth time to create the space for the mini oldies set.

they could consider songs like

the last time
not fade away
its all over now
tell me
off the hook
im alright
one more try
the singer not the song

i think adjusting a stones gig to include these mini sets would add to the concert experience and all it would take is dropping a couple of extended play warhorses. the rest of the gig could still have all the other warhorses they usually have.

The Stones, no strings
Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 20, 2015 14:11

DandelionPowderman
dgiorr
Fillmore

At least the last half of it, as Doug had major sound problems during the first half of the song smiling smiley

...and then he changed to banjo, right? No, just kiddin´...

What I wanted to say with my original post was that it´s not "strings" what comes to my mind in a "the perfect Stones show" surrounding.

I don´t need toooo much to be happy, I´m not even asking for Taylor or Wyman, or Jones or Stu. And I don´t need strings there in the first 287 places on my wishlist.

On the other hand: I would even go see them if they had four didgeridoos on stage, or six piccolo flutes, or a bavarian Maultrommel-Quartett. I´d be there anyway smileys with beer

cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: August 20, 2015 14:18

The guitars are all the strings I want to hear at a Stones show.
Well okay: When they play Country Honk they can invite Byron Berline. Once.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 20, 2015 14:57

Some people might recall Charlie Parker & Strings.
It worked....but at the time (1950s?) not something you would expect to find in the world of jazz/bebop.
Yes the Stones should try it, on a few numbers. Live, they have become so conservative.

Date: August 20, 2015 15:23

I cannot imagine anything more conservative than a rock n roll band adding a string section on their live dates. Keith, please don´t let this ever happen!

The strings on a few of their 60s-songs had commercial reasons. They could do these songs live with just guitars as well. No need for strings.

(Don´t let MJ see THIS PIC)grinning smiley

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 20, 2015 16:46

+1

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2015 17:47

Oh please, hell no. How awful.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:14

Not particularly against the Stones using string to embellish their music since they have obviously done so with great effect in the past. Not sure this would be very effective as a mini set. There's a big difference in a trio of such songs and an acoustic set, the latter of which I highly approve of, mainly because it's the Stones playing them.

In any case I think it's pretty well established that Jagger would never take the chance these days of more than one of the songs you mention being played without some up tempo rockers to keep the crowd on their feet. You get the feeling it would kill Mick to see people sitting for more than a song.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 20, 2015 18:54

I've always wanted something like this, but it makes more sense as a standalone show, not a repeated thing over a tour. Everybody would know what they're coming for, do a bunch of the type of songs that would require some weird instrumentation. The string stuff, the 66-67 B2B, SM kind of songs, and the MT era Winters and TWFNOs. I'd pay much more to see that than the same roadshow. Most other bands from the Stones era have done something like it already, it's not some big stretch.

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: August 20, 2015 19:08

arrrrrghghghghgh

really? no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

no

a thousand times no
and then some

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-20 19:27 by CloudCat.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 20, 2015 19:38

What part of Matt Clifford doesn't register?

HELL NO!

The only strings needed are Keith and Ronnie's.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2015 21:41

The Rest Home Tour

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home