Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: What's the best track by the Stones and say Why please
Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 08:47

Not enough votes for Little T & A IMO - it has soul among other things. Little T&A and ‘Happy’ would be the two Keith songs I’d include on a 10 best Stones songs compilation (assuming the inclusion of Keith-crooned songs was mandatory).

I give you 'THE VERY BEST' of the Rolling Stones:

Side 1
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Happy
3. Stray cat Blues
4. Little T&A
5. Tumbling Dice

Side 2
1. Sympathy for the Devil
2. Gimmie Shelter
3. Shine A Light
4. Sway
5. Brown Sugar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 08:49 by Swayed1967.

Date: August 27, 2015 08:48

mickschix
My man SWAYED1967, I beg to differ with your review of " Let It Loose". I think it NEVER fizzles, it simply elevates most who hear it right out of their shoes. The simple guitar intro that leads into a passionate yet subdued vocal by Mick builds and the crescendo, musically and vocally are unbeatable. Mick's finest vocal by far and the perfectly timed climax does not disappoint. When EXLIE first came out, I would play just that track, over& over & over until my parents wanted to scream for mercy! " I ain't in love...I ain't in LUCK!"!!! WHAT A lyric! Points scored for lyrics should be added in.

I understand the love for ‘Let It Loose’ but I also understand your parents’ mercy plea because while this song resonates with a lot of hardcore fans like us, in my experience it fails to make much of an impression on the uninitiated. This song is relatively obscure for a reason: it’s not that catchy to begin with, it abruptly changes course and then spins its wheels for 2 and half minutes (now those 2 and half minutes probably represent Mick’s finest vocal performance, no doubt about it, but if we are scouring the catalogue for a ‘best song’ this cannot be it).

I remember playing ‘Let It Loose’ for my girlfriend in university and being disappointed when she didn’t orgasm. ‘Yeah, it’s nice,’ was all she said. That hurt. But I’ve come to understand that casual listeners most likely won’t connect with this song because they don’t bring to it the sensibility of the hardcore fan. You have to have figuratively slept with Mick Jagger before you can dig this song. Otherwise you can’t share the pain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 10:18 by Swayed1967.

Date: August 27, 2015 08:51

Naturalust
mickschix
My man SWAYED1967, I beg to differ with your review of " Let It Loose". I think it NEVER fizzles, it simply elevates most who hear it right out of their shoes. The simple guitar intro that leads into a passionate yet subdued vocal by Mick builds and the crescendo, musically and vocally are unbeatable. Mick's finest vocal by far and the perfectly timed climax does not disappoint. When EXLIE first came out, I would play just that track, over& over & over until my parents wanted to scream for mercy! " I ain't in love...I ain't in LUCK!"!!! WHAT A lyric! Points scored for lyrics should be added in.

Indeed. Let it Loose doesn't go anywhere? It's got one of the most passionate and amazing builds of any Stones tune ever recorded, imo. Especially vocally. Mick is worked into a frenzy by the end and the background vocals "Let It Loose" punctuate the build with exclamations straight from the soul. Mick is so into it he even kind of mixes up where the last verses start and it just becomes this amazing expression of musical bliss that never fails to move me.

I think the amazing build and finale is one of the reasons they've never tried this tune out live. It's one of those things they could never really recreate. A moment of perfection that any further attempts could only detract from. The guitar part it a beautifully constructed circular phrase that is both original and well recorded with the leslie speaker.

Mick said of the tune "I didn't really understand what it was about, after the event." Of course not Mick, you were channeling something truly special that day. Lost in the heart and soul of the experience, and thank God for that.

Now here’s someone who has figuratively slept with Mick Jagger.

I really don’t disagree with any of the superlatives used to praise this song but it suddenly occurs to me that ‘Shine A Light’, a close relative of ‘Let It Loose’, is probably the better song but Mick’s delivery on that one, while similarly ambitious, doesn’t quite convince – it lacks the raw honesty and rapturous despair of LIL which sadly Mick would never be able to summon again. I don’t know if he was ‘channeling’ something that day but I’m pretty sure they don’t play this live for one reason only: it would sound as bad as Sway.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: August 27, 2015 11:25

Gimme Shelter
Let It Loose
Bye Bye Johnny (if one can include covers - and in the Stones' case Berry was key to their sound)
Brown Sugar

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 27, 2015 14:35

James Kirk
Gimmie Shelter because it may very well be the most menacing song ever written.

Not sure if I chimed in on this thread before, but if not, I would also pick Gimmie Shelter as the #1. Sympathy would be a close 2nd.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 27, 2015 14:40

Well they didn't wrote 'My Way' but did an excellent cover of Berry's 'Carol' on Ya Ya's...let's put that track as number one...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 16:49

Come On
Well they didn't wrote 'My Way' but did an excellent cover of Berry's 'Carol' on Ya Ya's...let's put that track as number one...

I agree, if there's a 10-best Stones songs compilation, 'Carol" from Ya-Ya's is a must.

Date: August 27, 2015 17:53

The Last Time.

Also, in no particular order:

Satisfaction.
Monkey Man.
Street Fighting Man.
Gimme Shelter.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:10

Swayed1967
Not enough votes for Little T & A IMO - it has soul among other things. Little T&A and ‘Happy’ would be the two Keith songs I’d include on a 10 best Stones songs compilation (assuming the inclusion of Keith-crooned songs was mandatory).

I give you 'THE VERY BEST' of the Rolling Stones:

Side 1
1. Jumping Jack Flash
2. Happy
3. Stray cat Blues
4. Little T&A
5. Tumbling Dice

Side 2
1. Sympathy for the Devil
2. Gimmie Shelter
3. Shine A Light
4. Sway
5. Brown Sugar

I like this concept but would expand it to 12 songs.

Side 1

1. Honky Tonk Women
2. Monkey Man
3. Under My Thumb
4. Winter
5. The Last Time
6. Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

Side 2:

1. Start Me Up
2. Beast Of Burden
3. JJF
4. Gimme Shelter
5. Memory Motel
6. How Can I Stop

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home