Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: What's the best track by the Stones and say Why please
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: August 19, 2015 20:39

Swayed1967
Turner68
Swayed1967
Hmmm, I suppose there are no right and wrong answers when talking about ‘favorites’ but my wife’s favorite Stones track is ‘Heaven’ and I have a friend who declares everything on Sticky Fingers to be unlistenable crap except ‘You Gotta Move.’ Threads like this lend validity to my wife’s and friend’s outrageous opinions and thus I feel I have to rationally identify the ‘best’ Stones songs and criticize the rest.

Midnight Rambler – Nope. Works live but a few minutes should’ve been slashed off the studio version. A drug attachment might help as I start to fall into a trance after about 4 minutes.

Let It Loose – It starts off well but then begins to meander and eventually goes nowhere. It might’ve been a great song if they had bothered to complete it but the ‘letting loose’ in the second half of the song is unsatisfying. Interesting experiment or laziness? Whatever, this song does not belong on top (unless you invent a category like ‘best vocal performance in a half-baked song’).

Jigsaw Puzzle – Worst song on Beggars (who even mentioned this song?). Should’ve been replaced by The Lantern or 2000 Man (Satanics should never have been released).

Memory Motel – This was probably my favorite song at one time, sappy though it is, but since Keith doesn’t play guitar on it it would be blasphemy to consider it the ‘best.’ Plus no song written after 1973 even belongs in the top ten.

Honky Tonk Women – OK, this song is a solid candidate and John Lennon even admired it but if this is a 10 Brown Sugar (which is really Honky Tonk Women 2) is an 11.

Beast of Burden – Again, if you wanna invent categories like lushest opening riff or best weaving then, yeah, this song merits consideration. But the lyrics are pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty grrrr...

Moonlight Mile – This is a masterpiece, no question, but if you’re a Stones fan you prefer Sway, Bitch, Brown Sugar and etc. I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is.

HYSYM,B,SITS – Impossible to dislike this surprisingly catchy, manic tune but the lyrics are too inaccessible (or ‘Orwellian’ if you like.) Besides, the Stones aren’t a grunge band.

She’s So Cold – Great guitar play, tossed off lyrics. I’ll stop here lest I start repeating myself: post 1973 lyrics are barf.

SO THE WINNER OF THE BEST EVER ROLLING STONES SONG IS: JJF or GS or SFTD or BS. Honorable mention to most of the songs on Exile and Ruby Tuesday. You may want to quibble a little but basically every sane and true Stones fan should agree with me.

i agree and i find your analysis of the other songs to be quite excellent.

Thanks. I love talking about Stones songs almost as much as I love listening to them. I guess that goes for just about all of us...

SO THE WINNER OF THE BEST EVER ROLLING STONES SONG IS: JJF or GS or SFTD or BS. Honorable mention to most of the songs on Exile and Ruby Tuesday. You may want to quibble a little but basically every sane and true Stones fan should agree with me.[/quote]

Wholeheartedly agree with you thumbs up Its nice to have clarification that i am also a sane and true Stones fan. Im not even going to quibble lol Thanks Swayed 1967

Posted by: fela ()
Date: August 19, 2015 21:37

Rocks Off .. because summertime nellcote guitars Vocals drums etc..
this is the perfect stones song

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 21:42

Gomper or Indian Girl

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: August 19, 2015 21:46

Stones50
Gomper or Indian Girl

Sweet neo con grinning smiley

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 19, 2015 21:49

Best track: Jumping Jack Flash!

It's got the mighty intro, the riff, the attitude and the raw energy. Jumping Jack Flash is the greatest rock 'n roll song of all times.

Date: August 19, 2015 23:15

mr edward

It's got the mighty intro, the riff, the attitude and the raw energy. Jumping Jack Flash is the greatest rock 'n roll song of all times.

When its played live it is thumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 23:16

keefriffhards
mr edward

what's wrong with the studio version?

Date: August 19, 2015 23:24

Turner68
keefriffhards
mr edward

Nothing. But live its the added performance of the greatest R & R band in the word.
The way Keith smashes that intro and blasts those cords to the point of braking, with Mick strutting his stuff and barking out like a hurricane. Nothing tops it in my not so humble opionion

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 19, 2015 23:25

keefriffhards
Turner68
keefriffhards
mr edward

Nothing. But live its the added performance of the greatest R & R band in the word.
The way Keith smashes that intro and blasts those cords to the point of braking, with Mick strutting his stuff and barking out like a hurricane. Nothing tops it in my not so humble opionion

Agree!

Date: August 19, 2015 23:49

deardoctor
Stones50
Gomper or Indian Girl

Sweet neo con grinning smiley

Gomper

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 19, 2015 23:52

Gimmie Shelter. The song perfectly brings the feel of a impending
storm. Brilliant way to end the "peace and love" of the
sixties as demonstrated at the closing of the film by the same name. Fitting soundtrack to the crowd exiting Altamont in December of 1969 and awesome on the big screen.

Date: August 20, 2015 00:00

Actually that shot is the crowd GOING to the show

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: August 20, 2015 06:19

Thanks. I have wondered since it looks, by the lighting, to be morning. That
would have been a long night.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 20, 2015 07:58

Tough question! I'm going to try to answer, then go back and read the thread and see what everyone else has said.

I think "Gimmie Shelter" is probably their best track, beating "Satisfaction" by a hair.

"Satisfaction" is an amazing rock and roll song, but I don't think "Gimmie Shelter" is only rock and roll. I think it kind of transcends the rock genre, with those delicate opening transitioning to this deeply soulful and furious duet that ebbs and flows with terrible beauty.

"Satisfaction" reflects the teenage mind, while "Gimmie Shelter" captures the conflicted and murderous spirit of a movement. "Gimmie Shelter" is a photograph of a moment in time, but it also timeless, since the lyrics aren't bogged down in cliches. You listen to it right now, and it still seems immediate and vital, I believe.

Date: August 20, 2015 08:55

jahisnotdead
Tough question! I'm going to try to answer, then go back and read the thread and see what everyone else has said.

I think "Gimmie Shelter" is probably their best track, beating "Satisfaction" by a hair.

"Satisfaction" is an amazing rock and roll song, but I don't think "Gimmie Shelter" is only rock and roll. I think it kind of transcends the rock genre, with those delicate opening transitioning to this deeply soulful and furious duet that ebbs and flows with terrible beauty.

"Satisfaction" reflects the teenage mind, while "Gimmie Shelter" captures the conflicted and murderous spirit of a movement. "Gimmie Shelter" is a photograph of a moment in time, but it also timeless, since the lyrics aren't bogged down in cliches. You listen to it right now, and it still seems immediate and vital, I believe.

Amen. That was a beautiful description of GS smiling smiley

Posted by: riffcliche69 ()
Date: August 24, 2015 01:10

The live history of JJF is quite interesting: on the single, it's played in open E tuning (however, it's played in B major, the dominant V chord of E. This is a characteristic Keith song-composing strategy: tuning his guitar to one key and then playing the harmony chords/key of song, based on the fifth of that key).In December '68 ("Rock and Roll Circus"), it's back to standard tuning and the intro is still intact. BTW, a "holy grail" of Stones' archivists is the earlier NME Poll Winners Concert, with Brian, in which JJF was played. At the very least, an off-line audio recorded by a listener is likely to exist. By the '69 US tour, the intro had been dropped in favor of the dramatic signature riff, following Sam Cutler's Classic intro. Now Keith is playing the Dan Armstrong plexiglass guitar , (sonically, a Fender Strat on steroids) tuned to open G and cappoed at the fourth fret. Mick Taylor is playing sliding sixth intervals for the chorus. Of all the JJF's played on this tour, the Altamont version is the most interesting, because it's played against slower tempo and Keith really mines "the deep groove".

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 25, 2015 01:16

My man SWAYED1967, I beg to differ with your review of " Let It Loose". I think it NEVER fizzles, it simply elevates most who hear it right out of their shoes. The simple guitar intro that leads into a passionate yet subdued vocal by Mick builds and the crescendo, musically and vocally are unbeatable. Mick's finest vocal by far and the perfectly timed climax does not disappoint. When EXLIE first came out, I would play just that track, over& over & over until my parents wanted to scream for mercy! " I ain't in love...I ain't in LUCK!"!!! WHAT A lyric! Points scored for lyrics should be added in.
My other favorite Stones song is " Wild Horses". My reactions vary for this gem. When I hear it LIVE, I usually cry. When I play the SF studio version, I am always moved. Sometimes I get caught up in the beauty of the melody, at other times I seem immersed in the lyrics...again, pure poetry...the simplicity of the story line make it easy to get caught up in and Keith's guitar playing is brilliant....melancholy mixed with real heart-felt emotion. It doesn't get much better than these 2 songs for me...I NEVER get tired of hearing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 01:18 by mickschix.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: August 25, 2015 01:35

I cannot choose between "Gimme Shelter" and "Let it Loose".

The first 45 seconds of GS are Keith's finest moment as a Stone, while Mick's performance in "Let it Loose" is his greatest achievement.

I'll take 'em both!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 25, 2015 01:39

mickschix
My man SWAYED1967, I beg to differ with your review of " Let It Loose". I think it NEVER fizzles, it simply elevates most who hear it right out of their shoes. The simple guitar intro that leads into a passionate yet subdued vocal by Mick builds and the crescendo, musically and vocally are unbeatable. Mick's finest vocal by far and the perfectly timed climax does not disappoint. When EXLIE first came out, I would play just that track, over& over & over until my parents wanted to scream for mercy! " I ain't in love...I ain't in LUCK!"!!! WHAT A lyric! Points scored for lyrics should be added in.

Indeed. Let it Loose doesn't go anywhere? It's got one of the most passionate and amazing builds of any Stones tune ever recorded, imo. Especially vocally. Mick is worked into a frenzy by the end and the background vocals "Let It Loose" punctuate the build with exclamations straight from the soul. Mick is so into it he even kind of mixes up where the last verses start and it just becomes this amazing expression of musical bliss that never fails to move me.

I think the amazing build and finale is one of the reasons they've never tried this tune out live. It's one of those things they could never really recreate. A moment of perfection that any further attempts could only detract from. The guitar part it a beautifully constructed circular phrase that is both original and well recorded with the leslie speaker.

Mick said of the tune "I didn't really understand what it was about, after the event." Of course not Mick, you were channeling something truly special that day. Lost in the heart and soul of the experience, and thank God for that.

Date: August 25, 2015 01:47

Naturalust
mickschix

Indeed. Let it Loose doesn't go anywhere? It's got one of the most passionate and amazing builds of any Stones tune ever recorded, imo. Especially vocally. Mick is worked into a frenzy by the end and the background vocals "Let It Loose" punctuate the build with exclamations straight from the soul. Mick is so into it he even kind of mixes up where the last verses start and it just becomes this amazing expression of musical bliss that never fails to move me.

I think the amazing build and finale is one of the reasons they've never tried this tune out live. It's one of those things they could never really recreate. A moment of perfection that any further attempts could only detract from. The guitar part it a beautifully constructed circular phrase that is both original and well recorded with the leslie speaker.

Mick said of the tune "I didn't really understand what it was about, after the event." Of course not Mick, you were channeling something truly special that day. Lost in the heart and soul of the experience, and thank God for that.

From 1:27 on——"She delivers right on time"——Mick is a man possessed. I think what I enjoy most about his performance is that he is literally letting it loose in a way that this very guarded, calculated man almost never does. He might indeed have no idea what he was singing about ... but your description of "channeling" is perfect: he was summoning a gospel blues spirit that raises the hairs on the back of my neck every time I hear it.

Plus, Nicky is just lovely on this tune. How great is he?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: August 25, 2015 01:49

To me personally, 'Worried About You' Classic Stones climbing song at it's best, guitars are gorgeous, it kills me. At 16 yrs. old listening to the Tattoo You version over/over/over,
32 years later out walking to the Live Licks version
[youtu.be]
trying to contain myself from howling the ending lyrics out loud on the street.

'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' another song that demands constant play, all versions.
'Monkey Man'
'Beast of Burden'
All 4 the #1 spot. Best I could narrow it.

My album tho, is Exile.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 01:59 by 35love.

Date: August 25, 2015 05:50

It's actually bothering me I didn't add 'Ruby Tuesday' to my listed 4 songs and make it a tie 5 ways.
So just did. My top 5:
'Worried About You'
'Can't You Hear Me K.'
'Monkey Man'
'Beast of Burden'
'Ruby Tuesday'
ETA: a number 6. 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'
C'mon now, EVERYBODY loves that song and can sing it!

Thanks for nice distraction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-25 05:52 by 35love.

Date: August 25, 2015 18:16

DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
HTW
Beast Of Burden
Tumbling Dice
JJF
Brown Sugar

might be their most perfect recordings

BUT:

Moonlight Mile is their best song. Superb songwriting, superb delivery thumbs up

I'm going to tell Keith you said that!! >grinning smiley<

Maybe he'll write some more oriental stuff if you tell him winking smiley

I think he wasn't involved in that tracks. ..

Date: August 25, 2015 18:28

deardoctor
DandelionPowderman
Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
HTW
Beast Of Burden
Tumbling Dice
JJF
Brown Sugar

might be their most perfect recordings

BUT:

Moonlight Mile is their best song. Superb songwriting, superb delivery thumbs up

I'm going to tell Keith you said that!! >grinning smiley<

Maybe he'll write some more oriental stuff if you tell him winking smiley

I think he wasn't involved in that tracks. ..
That track Moonlight mile

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 25, 2015 18:36

HMS
Jumpin´ Jack Flash. Why? It´s simply the best rock song ever written. Perfect from start to finish.

Yes.

JJF and Satisfaction.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 25, 2015 20:20

I'm so glad I had back-up on my " review" of " Let It Loose"...it is undeniably other-worldly!!! Channeling for sure! And I agree, that's why they never attempted it LIVE! Great responses Naturalust & Longbeacharena!

Date: August 25, 2015 20:25

No I'll back you,
'Let It Loose'
is AMAZING.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 25, 2015 21:18

To me there are quite many songs that could be candidates, but it really is not one song alone that is their best.

I can't accept the rules.

Date: August 25, 2015 23:19

mickschix
I'm so glad I had back-up on my " review" of " Let It Loose"...it is undeniably other-worldly!!! Channeling for sure! And I agree, that's why they never attempted it LIVE! Great responses Naturalust & Longbeacharena!

As we know, Sir Michael has become expert at "saving his voice," in order to allow him to perform for 2+ hrs twice a week in his 70's. More power to him.

But I wonder, if he were to warm up, sing some scales, run in place, and then walk on stage to sing "Let it Loose," under the conditions that it was the only song he had to sing that night and that he could rest for a month afterwards ... could he do it? Would he still have the chops to at least make a reasonable attempt? Or might it suck anyhow due to no Nicky and no Taylor?

Date: August 25, 2015 23:39

LongBeachArena72
mickschix

As we know, Sir Michael has become expert at "saving his voice," in order to allow him to perform for 2+ hrs twice a week in his 70's. More power to him.

But I wonder, if he were to warm up, sing some scales, run in place, and then walk on stage to sing "Let it Loose," under the conditions that it was the only song he had to sing that night and that he could rest for a month afterwards ... could he do it? Would he still have the chops to at least make a reasonable attempt? Or might it suck anyhow due to no Nicky and no Taylor?

Don't want to break up the party but this let it loose is terrible to my ears
Just played it to the family and they are all in agreement
No offence but its fascinating how one person can love something so much and another just cant bear to hear it.
Don't take this as an insult, its just interesting to me.
There really is no such thing as good or bad music, its just subjective
Its in the ear of the beholder if you like

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home