Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: What's the best track by the Stones and say Why please
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 18, 2015 14:32

NICOS
Normally I go for Gimmi Shelter as we did some best track by the Stones a few times.....

This time I go for the filthy StrayCatBlues (studio version and GYYYO) with the great squealing guitars from Keith the ritthem from Charlie, Rocky and Bill (if I'm right) and the easy way Mick sings this song and way at the end the harmonica sound Nicky plays on the organ/mellotron (at least that what I hear)

For me It's very hard to pick one song as there are dozens of great Stones songs which never bores......................

The mellotron was played by Brian. smiling smiley

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 18, 2015 14:39

Out of Time - Why please

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 14:52

Chris Fountain
Out of Time - Why please

Because Mick's singing is soooooooooooooooo catchy?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: August 18, 2015 14:58

Chris Fountain
Out of Time - Why please

Because Mick's singing is soooooooooooooooo catchy?

There are many elements to this song that deems it excellent. I particularly like the quick changes in cadence that compliment the finger snapping and back-up vocals. Of course, the lyrics add to the magic of this song.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 18, 2015 15:43

She's So Cold. It's perfection.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: August 18, 2015 15:51

Stones50
or Gomper?
Indian Girl

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 18, 2015 16:20

Ruby Tuesday studio version and the reason is due to it being amazing, beautiful, fragile, powerful, emotional and musical.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: August 18, 2015 16:28

DandelionPowderman
HTW
Beast Of Burden
Tumbling Dice
JJF
Brown Sugar

might be their most perfect recordings

BUT:

Moonlight Mile is their best song. Superb songwriting, superb delivery thumbs up

I'm going to tell Keith you said that!! >grinning smiley<

Date: August 18, 2015 16:31

Silver Dagger
DandelionPowderman
HTW
Beast Of Burden
Tumbling Dice
JJF
Brown Sugar

might be their most perfect recordings

BUT:

Moonlight Mile is their best song. Superb songwriting, superb delivery thumbs up

I'm going to tell Keith you said that!! >grinning smiley<

Maybe he'll write some more oriental stuff if you tell him winking smiley

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:06

Beast of Burden

Reason why: I don't know exactly, it is simple, melodious, the hook line is minimalistic but very impressive, it makes possible fantastic, never ending guitar work and variations, Keith's and Ronnie's masterpiece. I like most the 81/82 raw live versions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 17:08 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:09

My emotional favourite would be Around and Around - first cut on 12X5, likely the first song I was ever aware of at 4 years old as my brother played the album a lot, and I loved it and every cut that followed. As soon as I could work the record player myself, I'm sure I ruined the disc dropping the needle over and over, watching it go around and around. But. They didn't write it, so I have to embrace and abandon it and say... Satisfaction. Because as soon as I hear that opening note, I smile and start to move my ass. It was a complete sea change for music - dark, daring, naughty, and made the parents scared as all hell. Life would not be the same without it, and everything that naturally followed it. Fifty years later it still thrills me.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:28

Midnight Rambler yesterday, today and tomorrow. I love the harp introduction, especially the extended versions of the 1972 tour and the weaving and interplay of the two guitars. The change of rhythm and the singing are incredible. The song has an almost primal energy. An unusual long post from me, but I am at RAH queuing for the Proms, so a bit of long way ahead.smileys with beer

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:44

Picking just one.... Torn and Frayed.

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:48

I've had three over the years.

My first one was Can't You Hear Me Knocking. I just loved the riff and getting lost in the guitars later on.

Then it was Send It To Me. I guess I just liked the simplicity and the fun.

Then, and I guess now, it was Shine A Light. I love how it builds, and I love Mick's voice in it.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:59

First 22 in...rearranged very slightly, that's a fine setlist........

Gomper - intro music

Gimme Shelter
Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing in the Shadow
Midnight Rambler
Sweet Virginia
Let it Loose
Jigsaw puzzle
Jumpin´ Jack Flash
Memory Motel
Brown Sugar
Ruby Tuesday
Stray Cat Blues
Streets of Love
Tumbling Dice
The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man
Moonlight Mile
Out of Time
She's So Cold
Beast of Burden
Torn and Frayed
Shine A Light
Honky Tonk Women
Satisfaction

Indian Girl....outro, going home music.............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 19:26 by EddieByword.

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 18, 2015 18:09

hmmm….jumpin jack flash. Why please hahaa

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 18, 2015 19:12

Honky Tonk Woman , #1 great riff by the riffmaster himself Keef (that open G chord gets me every time Keith hits his Fender butterscotch Tele,) #2 the lyrics (i met a gin soaked bar-room queen in Memphis ,i laid a divorcee in new york city)#3 the phrasing of Mick Jagger in the way he sings these vocals with such passion #4 the killer solo that Keith lays down in the bridge (it is not the hardest solo to play , BUT it is in how Keith plays it with his own unique special style that no matter how you try you can come close but it just is not the same .to take something so simple and yet very powerfull brings me such joy .i could go on forever describing this wonderful song which brings me so much joy and rapture in pure ecstacy .This is the power and beauty of the "worlds greatest rock and roll band" .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-18 19:23 by TheGreek.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: August 18, 2015 22:21

Moonlight Mile, but the one that got me hooked was Paint it, Black

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 08:50

Hmmm, I suppose there are no right and wrong answers when talking about ‘favorites’ but my wife’s favorite Stones track is ‘Heaven’ and I have a friend who declares everything on Sticky Fingers to be unlistenable crap except ‘You Gotta Move.’ Threads like this lend validity to my wife’s and friend’s outrageous opinions and thus I feel I have to rationally identify the ‘best’ Stones songs and criticize the rest.

Midnight Rambler – Nope. Works live but a few minutes should’ve been slashed off the studio version. A drug attachment might help as I start to fall into a trance after about 4 minutes.

Let It Loose – It starts off well but then begins to meander and eventually goes nowhere. It might’ve been a great song if they had bothered to complete it but the ‘letting loose’ in the second half of the song is unsatisfying. Interesting experiment or laziness? Whatever, this song does not belong on top (unless you invent a category like ‘best vocal performance in a half-baked song’).

Jigsaw Puzzle – Worst song on Beggars (who even mentioned this song?). Should’ve been replaced by The Lantern or 2000 Man (Satanics should never have been released).

Memory Motel – This was probably my favorite song at one time, sappy though it is, but since Keith doesn’t play guitar on it it would be blasphemy to consider it the ‘best.’ Plus no song written after 1973 even belongs in the top ten.

Honky Tonk Women – OK, this song is a solid candidate and John Lennon even admired it but if this is a 10 Brown Sugar (which is really Honky Tonk Women 2) is an 11.

Beast of Burden – Again, if you wanna invent categories like lushest opening riff or best weaving then, yeah, this song merits consideration. But the lyrics are pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty grrrr...

Moonlight Mile – This is a masterpiece, no question, but if you’re a Stones fan you prefer Sway, Bitch, Brown Sugar and etc. I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is.

HYSYM,B,SITS – Impossible to dislike this surprisingly catchy, manic tune but the lyrics are too inaccessible (or ‘Orwellian’ if you like.) Besides, the Stones aren’t a grunge band.

She’s So Cold – Great guitar play, tossed off lyrics. I’ll stop here lest I start repeating myself: post 1973 lyrics are barf.

SO THE WINNER OF THE BEST EVER ROLLING STONES SONG IS: JJF or GS or SFTD or BS. Honorable mention to most of the songs on Exile and Ruby Tuesday. You may want to quibble a little but basically every sane and true Stones fan should agree with me.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 08:55

Swayed1967
Hmmm, I suppose there are no right and wrong answers when talking about ‘favorites’ but my wife’s favorite Stones track is ‘Heaven’ and I have a friend who declares everything on Sticky Fingers to be unlistenable crap except ‘You Gotta Move.’ Threads like this lend validity to my wife’s and friend’s outrageous opinions and thus I feel I have to rationally identify the ‘best’ Stones songs and criticize the rest.

Midnight Rambler – Nope. Works live but a few minutes should’ve been slashed off the studio version. A drug attachment might help as I start to fall into a trance after about 4 minutes.

Let It Loose – It starts off well but then begins to meander and eventually goes nowhere. It might’ve been a great song if they had bothered to complete it but the ‘letting loose’ in the second half of the song is unsatisfying. Interesting experiment or laziness? Whatever, this song does not belong on top (unless you invent a category like ‘best vocal performance in a half-baked song’).

Jigsaw Puzzle – Worst song on Beggars (who even mentioned this song?). Should’ve been replaced by The Lantern or 2000 Man (Satanics should never have been released).

Memory Motel – This was probably my favorite song at one time, sappy though it is, but since Keith doesn’t play guitar on it it would be blasphemy to consider it the ‘best.’ Plus no song written after 1973 even belongs in the top ten.

Honky Tonk Women – OK, this song is a solid candidate and John Lennon even admired it but if this is a 10 Brown Sugar (which is really Honky Tonk Women 2) is an 11.

Beast of Burden – Again, if you wanna invent categories like lushest opening riff or best weaving then, yeah, this song merits consideration. But the lyrics are pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty grrrr...

Moonlight Mile – This is a masterpiece, no question, but if you’re a Stones fan you prefer Sway, Bitch, Brown Sugar and etc. I’m sorry but that’s just the way it is.

HYSYM,B,SITS – Impossible to dislike this surprisingly catchy, manic tune but the lyrics are too inaccessible (or ‘Orwellian’ if you like.) Besides, the Stones aren’t a grunge band.

She’s So Cold – Great guitar play, tossed off lyrics. I’ll stop here lest I start repeating myself: post 1973 lyrics are barf.

SO THE WINNER OF THE BEST EVER ROLLING STONES SONG IS: JJF or GS or SFTD or BS. Honorable mention to most of the songs on Exile and Ruby Tuesday. You may want to quibble a little but basically every sane and true Stones fan should agree with me.

i agree and i find your analysis of the other songs to be quite excellent.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 19, 2015 09:08

If to be serious I say Rocks Off

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Mister_D ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:03

The Lantern: the bells... the piano... Brian... the mystery... the enigma

Date: August 19, 2015 12:05

<Let It Loose – It starts off well but then begins to meander and eventually goes nowhere.>

The horns and Mick's vocal crescendos take me right to heaven! Too bad they didn't take you up there as well... smiling smiley

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 12:19

HMS
Jumpin´ Jack Flash. Why? It´s simply the best rock song ever written. Perfect from start to finish.

What he said! thumbs up

Posted by: skep8 ()
Date: August 19, 2015 16:11

"We Love You" is the most amazing Stones recording ever, nothing else compares to it. It starts with Nicky Hopkins' frantic piano, adds high harmonies by Lennon and McCartney, and builds to an apocalyptic crescendo with Brian Jones' otherworldly Arabic/martial mellotron. Talk about catharsis! This track could be analyzed endlessly.

And the flip side was "Dandelion", making this my all-time favorite 45. Unbelievably melodic, thanks again to Nicky Hopkins and Brian Jones. The Stones music got a big boost when Brian brought Nicky into their sessions (starting with Between the Buttons, my favorite Stones album, without a single lousy track on it).

Mick Taylor provided excellent electric blues guitar.

But every new Stones' studio album (except the last one, A Bigger Bang) had a few killer tracks (on the later studio albums, usually the tracks released as singles).

Date: August 19, 2015 17:59

Turner68
Swayed1967

i agree and i find your analysis of the other songs to be quite excellent.

Thanks. I love talking about Stones songs almost as much as I love listening to them. I guess that goes for just about all of us...

Date: August 19, 2015 18:02

DandelionPowderman
<Let It Loose – It starts off well but then begins to meander and eventually goes nowhere.>

The horns and Mick's vocal crescendos take me right to heaven! Too bad they didn't take you up there as well... smiling smiley

I'm not denying that there are a lot of heavenly moments in that song - it's one of my favorites. But I stand by my above critique - I'll give Mick 'best vocal performance in a half-baked song' but Let It Loose doesn't belong in the pantheon of classics.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: August 19, 2015 18:03

Happy

Date: August 19, 2015 18:04

skep8
"We Love You" is the most amazing Stones recording ever, nothing else compares to it. It starts with Nicky Hopkins' frantic piano, adds high harmonies by Lennon and McCartney, and builds to an apocalyptic crescendo with Brian Jones' otherworldly Arabic/martial mellotron. Talk about catharsis! This track could be analyzed endlessly.

And the flip side was "Dandelion", making this my all-time favorite 45. Unbelievably melodic, thanks again to Nicky Hopkins and Brian Jones. The Stones music got a big boost when Brian brought Nicky into their sessions (starting with Between the Buttons, my favorite Stones album, without a single lousy track on it).

Mick Taylor provided excellent electric blues guitar.

But every new Stones' studio album (except the last one, A Bigger Bang) had a few killer tracks (on the later studio albums, usually the tracks released as singles).

And Lennon/McCartney...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 19, 2015 18:30

skep8
But every new Stones' studio album (except the last one, A Bigger Bang) had a few killer tracks

A Bigger Bang has a fair share of killer tracks to offer, imo. Rough Justice, Rain Fall Down, This Place Is Empty, Oh No Not You Again, Laugh I Nearly Died, Look What The Cat Dragged In & Driving Too Fast are very pleasing to my ears.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2009
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home