Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 52
Re: 'Which Lyric Am I?'
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 27, 2015 18:11

Green Lady
Thank you (TA/AT) fo(u)r ... And that's all I got.

Can't fit in the sweet and bitter fruit, so back to the drawing board.

Admiration overwhelms me yet again, Green Lady - that's a lot further than I got!
A yoru is surely a decision-maker in some language! So are we sure we can't make the discarded and returned remnants
of sweet and bitter fruit remind us of retiring, somehow? In a Friend's care plan?

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 27, 2015 18:13

Yes, I can't accept guesses - you must show your working! smiling smiley

Olly.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 27, 2015 18:43

I got it! I got it!

A terrific headache.

[quote=schillid] I got it! I got it! A terrific headache.[/quote]
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 27, 2015 20:22

schillid
I got it! I got it!

A terrific headache.

grinning smiley Me too. Olly should come with a health warning.

Date: September 27, 2015 20:35

with sssoul
Green Lady
Thank you (TA/AT) fo(u)r ... And that's all I got.

Can't fit in the sweet and bitter fruit, so back to the drawing board.

Admiration overwhelms me yet again, Green Lady - that's a lot further than I got!
A yoru is surely a decision-maker in some language! So are we sure we can't make the discarded and returned remnants
of sweet and bitter fruit remind us of retiring, somehow? In a Friend's care plan?

I think that may be it: if you "return" peel (the discarded remnants of fruit) and find an S from somewhere or other (maybe the 's of friend's though heaven knows why) you'll have S LEEP which makes you think of retiring to bed. But who's the example of a decision maker? You R? It all seems very far fetched, but then Olly is.

MY BRAIN HURTS

Date: September 27, 2015 20:54

Bravissima, Green Lady! Even if you got there by a different route than Olly,
who's the decision-maker? YOU R! Confetti time :E

Date: September 27, 2015 21:15

Don't know if this will help... sometimes a letter's reflections look like another letter:

d <---> b
p <---> q
s <---> z

you get the idea.

Date: September 27, 2015 21:25

I'm an idiot - it's just peels backwards, which takes care of the multiple discarded remnants - but how does a friends placed parlance get you sweet and bitter?

Schillid, for a while I was wondering if it was an upside down type mirror where M becomes W and so on , but I think it's just a simple reverse, thank goodness.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 27, 2015 21:30

Green Lady
I'm an idiot

Nothing could be further from the truth, I'm placing my wager that you will once again unravel this one for us. Get 'em girl.

Date: September 27, 2015 21:54

Yes, Green Lady has it. A convoluted clue in some ways (especially the synonyms required for the final three words), but I was going to offer more hints had they been needed. I like to make them challenging, after all...

A preposition viewed in the mirror; a homophone of something found on faces; a word that is an example of one who makes decisions; something, the multiple discarded and returned remnants of which remind me of retiring, is subjected to a friend's placed parlance.

'...Thank you for your sweet and bitter fruits...'

- 'Sweet Virginia'

A preposition viewed in the mirror ['at' reversed (as in a mirror) is 'ta', an informal expression meaning 'thank you']; a homophone of something found on faces ['for' a homophone of 'four' on clock faces]; a word that is an example of one who makes decisions [one who makes decisions is a 'determiner', a word also used in a grammatical context to describe a modifying word that determines the kind of reference a noun or noun group has, an example of which is 'your']; something, the multiple discarded and returned remnants of which remind me of retiring [fruit 'peels' returned (spelled in reverse) makes 'sleep'], is subjected to a friend [oppo]'s placed [to place or to 'site' – 'oppo' + 'site' = opposite, or 'contra'] parlance [diction].

Olly.

Date: September 27, 2015 22:07

Ooo-er! Olly is out of our league as usual.

Thanks, Olly. Please Sir, can I go home now?

Date: September 27, 2015 22:11

Wow
And wait wait: oppo? means friend? in what language/dialect, please and thank you?
And site can be a verb?
Welcome to Live and Learn with Olly :E

And here are armloads of green and gilded confetti for Green Lady! Bravissima yet again!

Date: September 27, 2015 22:16

Hi with sssoul,

'Oppo', British informal.

'Site' used as a verb: to fix or build (something) in a particular place.

Olly.

Date: September 27, 2015 22:18

Thanks Olly. So can we assume that unless otherwise noted you're using UK English?

Date: September 27, 2015 22:22

Yes, I will try to keep less well known British phrases to a minimum, but couldn't resist utilising 'oppo' for this clue.

I will try to stick to UK English and can always mention if a clue contains Americanisms, but I won't be deliberately using obscure British phrases.

Olly.

Date: September 27, 2015 22:23

Congrats Green Lady

A bit convoluted and arcane... Even if I were to have looked at that line of lyric (again), I would not have figured out that one.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:24

Jeezus, Olly, could you make one for us regular folks to give a shot at? This level of "buried" is so difficult it hurts my brain just looking at that answer. When even the solver of the puzzle doesn't think they got it, it is a sign that possibly there is too much going on.

Perhaps a more obscure lyric and a less convoluted clue, your getting way out of most of our leagues!

Green Lady congrats and admiration your way, I knew it was a good move to bet on you.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 27, 2015 22:28

A huge congratulations to Green lady, that was a tough one and I was still a long way off and had resorted to trawling lyrics - which is kind of cheating so i'm in shame. I still don;t get the 'oppo' bit and I'm English and oldish.

Date: September 27, 2015 22:32

Yes, I will post some simpler ones (although the majority of mine have been solved).

The benefit of the more convoluted clues split into parts is that, as in this case, if you can get one or two parts, you will have the answer. Also, giving away too easily answers to even single words can make things too easy. For example, as soon as 'Thank you' is discovered, the answer to this one becomes easy, and would be so to a lesser extent even just with the revelation of 'for'... a balancing act required in terms of complexity.

Olly.

Date: September 27, 2015 22:58

Just for the record: Besides "oppo", "ta" meaning "thanks" is not real familiar to Americans either.
It's not obscure, but I'd never heard it until I moved to Europe and started working with British speakers.
Not complaining, just pointing out that some of these are possibly more difficult than you think.
Be gentle with us! And thanks for the ongoing fun :E

Date: September 27, 2015 23:03

Maybe one of our American cousins should have a go at setting one, to even things up?

Date: September 27, 2015 23:08

I did post one, Green Lady, and Marcovandereijk got it in about four minutes. :E

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 27, 2015 23:55

Well done once again Green Lady...gold rings on ya!

...I see you just beat me to it..... >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 28, 2015 00:33

crumbling_mice
A huge congratulations to Green lady, that was a tough one and I was still a long way off and had resorted to trawling lyrics - which is kind of cheating so i'm in shame. I still don;t get the 'oppo' bit and I'm English and oldish.

Neither do I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-28 06:13 by Harlem Shuffler.

Date: September 28, 2015 10:20

Harlem Shuffler
crumbling_mice
I still don't get the 'oppo' bit and I'm English and oldish.

Neither do I.

I'm not sure this helps but what Olly had in mind was a contradiction: oppo site = contra + diction (parlance)

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 28, 2015 10:33

Well, UK English, US English, Louis van Gaal-English, it's all the same to me.

I was out for the weekend, so I missed this one. My family will be thankful for that,
because it would have absorbed all of my thoughts, just leading no where near the solution.
Congratulations, Green Lady.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: September 28, 2015 10:46

Olly
Yes, Green Lady has it. A convoluted clue in some ways (especially the synonyms required for the final three words), but I was going to offer more hints had they been needed. I like to make them challenging, after all...

A preposition viewed in the mirror; a homophone of something found on faces; a word that is an example of one who makes decisions; something, the multiple discarded and returned remnants of which remind me of retiring, is subjected to a friend's placed parlance.

'...Thank you for your sweet and bitter fruits...'

- 'Sweet Virginia'

A preposition viewed in the mirror ['at' reversed (as in a mirror) is 'ta', an informal expression meaning 'thank you']; a homophone of something found on faces ['for' a homophone of 'four' on clock faces]; a word that is an example of one who makes decisions [one who makes decisions is a 'determiner', a word also used in a grammatical context to describe a modifying word that determines the kind of reference a noun or noun group has, an example of which is 'your']; something, the multiple discarded and returned remnants of which remind me of retiring [fruit 'peels' returned (spelled in reverse) makes 'sleep'], is subjected to a friend [oppo]'s placed [to place or to 'site' – 'oppo' + 'site' = opposite, or 'contra'] parlance [diction].

That is...ridiculous... Just sayin'!

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 28, 2015 11:25

Straycat13

That is...ridiculous... Just sayin'!

I quite agree...well for us mere mortals at least. Still I will carry on playing my 'cram a lyric in there, if it kill's me' game.winking smiley

Date: September 28, 2015 12:26

Thank goodness Olly didn't want everything explained before he gave in - I'd be working on it until the next Blood SuperMoon (2033 apparently). Never heard of the determiner, let alone that "your" is an example of one...
(My alternative theory was that the decision maker was a judge, but Sweet Black Angel didn't fit either).

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: September 28, 2015 14:47

with sssoul
Harlem Shuffler
crumbling_mice
I still don't get the 'oppo' bit and I'm English and oldish.

Neither do I.

I'm not sure this helps but what Olly had in mind was a contradiction: oppo site = contra + diction (parlance)

Give me strength! Thanks, with sssoul.

BTW, does anyone other than Olly have a new teaser for us?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526...LastNext
Current Page: 21 of 52

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1435
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home