Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: 50 years of IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL October 2024
Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 4, 2024 07:30

24FPS
Definitely a second-tier album. Not one I will listen to often, but I will put on the Virgin edition from time to time. Hard to say where it fits. Better than what came later, EmotionalUnderDirty, but less than Black and Blue, and, obviously, Some Girls, their last coherent album before Hackney Diamonds.

I remember the first time I heard the single coming out of a radio at a record store. I was disappointed because it seemed so obvious and commercial. Almost like they were disavowing their wonderful dark past in favor of being top forty friendly hitmakers. That being said, there are some good, memorable songs on the album besides the IORR single. It still seems beneath them when they play it in concert. Of course I'm not wild about the way they've played Tumblin' Dice since the 1972/73 tours.

And the way they’ve played Tumblin’ Dice since 1972/3 effects the IORR album how?

Rod

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 4, 2024 07:40

Got hold of IORR 7" upon release ......

Spent days in a room with the curtains closed just listening to it
over and over at full volume....that thick murky guitar driven noise...

almost wore that A-side right out ..... still lurv it ....

ROCKMAN

Date: May 4, 2024 08:52

Time Waits for no one and Dance little Sister. One of Taylor's best work in the studio with the Stones.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 4, 2024 15:46

Is this official or speculation?

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 4, 2024 16:35

Rockman

I often fancy the boys playing IORR the song live after the studio version instead of the all too familiar Chuck Berry-style rock ‘n roll — e.g. Mick strumming acoustic guitar and, perhaps, more suitably on the B-stage.

In fact, one irony is that despite the title, the original is not so much rock ‘n roll a la Jumpin’ Jack Flash or Brown Sugar as a groove-oriented, feel-happy, even laid-back tune — always reminds me that 1974 was the year Laid-back ruled the earth (remember 461 Ocean Boulevard, Eric Clapton’s ‘come back’ album?).

TheflyingDutchman
Time Waits for no one and Dance little Sister. One of Taylor's best work in the studio with the Stones.

Yes. Time Waits For No One is one song where Mick Taylor shone through and made his presence felt more than any other Stones’ albums he played on, that alone makes IORR the album worth the credit.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-04 22:06 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 4, 2024 19:16

RollstoDRSC
I hope and I think there will be due out a special 2 CD edition ..I hope with the "original" first edition of Ronnie Woods version!

Would that be different from the one on FFSO?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 4, 2024 22:24

RisingStone
Rockman

I often fancy the boys playing IORR the song live after the studio version instead of the all too familiar Chuck Berry-style rock ‘n roll

The take they did with Mick and the Foo Fighters on SNL did it that way and it was fabulous. I don't really have the need to hear the live version the way they've played it live for eons, unless they go back to that studio style.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: May 4, 2024 23:23

I got IORR album in the USSR in the mid-70's from an illegal (from communist's point of view) trade on 270m reel-to-reel tape. The recording was done on 9.53 cm/sec speed. That was done to save the space and to record The Who - Who's Next on the other side winking smiley.

It was high generation recording, far-far away from the LP that was the source of that record. So you can only imagine the sound quality winking smiley. It was great album for me. I wear the tape out to the state that magnetic material was falling from the base. So CBS CD is a great sounding version for me. I do not need 'crystal clear' remix winking smiley. The album might sound just a bit less muddy but that is not mandatory.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 4, 2024 23:54

ironbelly
I got IORR album in the USSR in the mid-70's from an illegal (from communist's point of view) trade on 270m reel-to-reel tape. The recording was done on 9.53 cm/sec speed. That was done to save the space and to record The Who - Who's Next on the other side winking smiley.

It was high generation recording, far-far away from the LP that was the source of that record. So you can only imagine the sound quality winking smiley. It was great album for me. I wear the tape out to the state that magnetic material was falling from the base. So CBS CD is a great sounding version for me. I do not need 'crystal clear' remix winking smiley. The album might sound just a bit less muddy but that is not mandatory.

That was a cool story, and gives some perspective. It's Only Rock'n'Roll, indeed!thumbs up

- Doxa

Re: ALBUM TALK: It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Date: May 5, 2024 00:14

I got the first release of the album back in the day and the album sounded crystal clear to me - it still does-. I don't know what people are talking about.

Merchandise?

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: May 5, 2024 01:23

TheflyingDutchman
I got the first release of the album back in the day and the album sounded crystal clear to me - it still does-. I don't know what people are talking about.

Merchandise?

I agree. I loved it when it was 1st released. Still one of my favorite albums. And IORR but I like it is my favorite track.

Time waits for no one is clear and fresh as the day it was released.

Amazing album.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 5, 2024 03:15

TheflyingDutchman

Merchandise?
Well the guitars sound weak on a lot of the tracks

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 5, 2024 03:31

Taylor1
TheflyingDutchman

Merchandise?
Well the guitars sound weak on a lot of the tracks

Personally I have never felt the guitars on IORR sound particularly weak overall as compared to the other Stones’ albums if not stronger. It doesn’t bother me, at least.

Date: May 6, 2024 19:16

The drums sound even worse on some tracks, imo.

Date: May 6, 2024 22:16

DandelionPowderman
The drums sound even worse on some tracks, imo.

I don't know if 'worse' is the word I would use. Maybe that drum sound did not fit the Stones. Moroder's snare was probably not the right call for Charlie's style, and for 'If u cant rock me'.
I love the album, but it comes off with some contradictions. "Fingerprint File', the song that could have used Moroder's tricks the most, has none of them.
"Dance Little Sister" sounds hotter and livelier on outtakes.
"Luxury", is supposed to be Reggae, but maybe half the band did not get the memo.
But that is nitpicking. I call '68-'78 all 5 star releases.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: May 6, 2024 23:53

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: May 7, 2024 00:03

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 7, 2024 05:32

bitusa2012
24FPS
Definitely a second-tier album. Not one I will listen to often, but I will put on the Virgin edition from time to time. Hard to say where it fits. Better than what came later, EmotionalUnderDirty, but less than Black and Blue, and, obviously, Some Girls, their last coherent album before Hackney Diamonds.

I remember the first time I heard the single coming out of a radio at a record store. I was disappointed because it seemed so obvious and commercial. Almost like they were disavowing their wonderful dark past in favor of being top forty friendly hitmakers. That being said, there are some good, memorable songs on the album besides the IORR single. It still seems beneath them when they play it in concert. Of course I'm not wild about the way they've played Tumblin' Dice since the 1972/73 tours.

And the way they’ve played Tumblin’ Dice since 1972/3 effects the IORR album how?

24FPS!!!

What about Jumping Jack Flash?

Street Fightin' Man?

Sympathy Fo' The Devil?

Ya Can't Always...

You make the effort to put a hyphen in a song title that doesn't have a hyphen... or purposefully misspell a song...

That's disrespectful.

Keep it straight, 24FPS!!!!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 7, 2024 10:05

24FPS

Perhaps the Bee Gees are more of your liking?

Mathijs

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 7, 2024 10:12

hot stuff
TheflyingDutchman

Merchandise?

I agree. I loved it when it was 1st released. Still one of my favorite albums. And IORR but I like it is my favorite track.

Time waits for no one is clear and fresh as the day it was released.

Amazing album.

The original vinyl pressings of IORR did sound OK. The sound was fuller, more "colourful" and immediate.

But then the rot set in.

The subsequent vinyl pressings from the EMI years and all the various digital reworkings have left a lot to be desired.

Date: May 7, 2024 10:30

Rockman

That's the point right there.

Play that original 7" single on good record deck... and then play the album track from any release of your choice and you'll straight away hear and feel what's wrong with them.

Date: May 7, 2024 12:00

Spud

The original vinyl pressings of IORR did sound OK. The sound was fuller, more "colourful" and immediate.

I am not sure if I heard the very first pressing, but a copy of it has never shown up as a bootleg, something you would expect if it sounds so much better than what is available now. Also, Keith commented already in 1975 that they screwed up the mastering, and Andy Johns reviewed the album in 1975 and made comments on how terrible it sounded.

Mathijs

Date: May 7, 2024 12:55

Mathijs
Spud

I am not sure if I heard the very first pressing, but a copy of it has never shown up as a bootleg, something you would expect if it sounds so much better than what is available now. Also, Keith commented already in 1975 that they screwed up the mastering, and Andy Johns reviewed the album in 1975 and made comments on how terrible it sounded.

Mathijs

Also keep in mind that in the days of the first pressing, fans -at least me and my befriended stones fans- were not that obsessed with sound quality i.e these details spoken about here. We were glad that a new Stones vinyl was released and we just enjoyed it. It was a completely different time frame, a different perception.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-07 12:58 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: May 7, 2024 13:11

Mathijs
Spud

Mathijs

When Miles Showell at Abbey Road was mastering the 71-2016 box set he did remark that IORR was probably the one that gave him the most grief, mentioning in particular some phase issues on FF .
Miles had a choice of all the available digital stereo masters...so it may be that nothing any better is available to provide much improvement.

The original vinyl didn't have a brilliant sound...but was better than anything we've been served up with since.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 7, 2024 14:46

The slowed down FF on the SACD I really like and was kind of shocked when it was not included on the new vinyl

Date: May 7, 2024 15:03

TheflyingDutchman
Mathijs
Spud

Mathijs

Also keep in mind that in the days of the first pressing, fans -at least me and my befriended stones fans- were not that obsessed with sound quality i.e these details spoken about here. We were glad that a new Stones vinyl was released and we just enjoyed it. It was a completely different time frame, a different perception.

Could very well be. But I do remember that in the late 1980's we all started to notice that many of the new LP's we bought, and certainly the new format CD, was not sounding like what we were used too. It was the start of the brick walling age -we loved the energy GnR brought with Appetite, but it sounded horrible we thought. We loved all the new grunge bands but thought their albums sounded crap, especially the drums.

Mathijs

Posted by: steenhorst ()
Date: May 7, 2024 18:49

Plays bass on FF and guitar on S & C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 7, 2024 20:59

Mathijs
24FPS

Perhaps the Bee Gees are more of your liking?

Mathijs

??? I thought the album didn't rock enough and now the Bee Gees are more to my liking? By the way, the Bee Gees are great. I can enjoy Black Sabbath, all the way to the Carpenters. Hell, I've got Perry Como on a compilation CD. As well as Iggy Pop. I don't consider liking the Bee Gees to be an insult, if that is what it was meant to be. I certainly wouldn't put the IORR album up against Hackney Diamonds, which I consider to be excellent, and IORR to be mediocre as a Stones album. I supposed you'll ask if Frank Ifield is more to my liking. I remember you....

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 7, 2024 21:33

24FPS
I certainly wouldn't put the IORR album up against Hackney Diamonds, which I consider to be excellent, and IORR to be mediocre as a Stones album.

Oooof

We're on opposite ends of taste, my friend.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: May 7, 2024 21:58

I also enjoy the excitement of new music but no way I would consider Hackney Diamonds to be on the same level as any of the classic albums. I would consider Dirty Work over Hackney. Just my opinion of course.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home