Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: 50 years of IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL October 2024
Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: May 7, 2024 23:20

Rockman
Got hold of IORR 7" upon release ......

Spent days in a room with the curtains closed just listening to it
over and over at full volume....that thick murky guitar driven noise...

almost wore that A-side right out ..... still lurv it ....

Plus the b-sides were always great when they weren’t included on the album. I still got mine and I think Through the Lonely Nights still sounds better snaps, crackles, pops and all than the version released on the rarities cd.

(Yes, I do realize it was an outtake from GHS).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-07 23:28 by shadooby.

Re: ALBUM TALK: It's Only Rock'n'Roll
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: May 7, 2024 23:40

frankotero
I also enjoy the excitement of new music but no way I would consider Hackney Diamonds to be on the same level as any of the classic albums. I would consider Dirty Work over Hackney. Just my opinion of course.

I agree.

I'm glad the Stones are still excited to produce a new album, but it's not on a same level as the classic albums. Totally not. But hey, that's fine by me. I prefer to listen to the oldies instead of Hackney Diamonds.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 8, 2024 08:36

TravelinMan
24FPS
I certainly wouldn't put the IORR album up against Hackney Diamonds, which I consider to be excellent, and IORR to be mediocre as a Stones album.

Oooof

We're on opposite ends of taste, my friend.

Oh, there's a lot of things I can't understand people preferring. Never could listen to the Grateful Dead. I think Hackney has a great spirit. And the songwriting is top level.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 8, 2024 08:43

frankotero
I also enjoy the excitement of new music but no way I would consider Hackney Diamonds to be on the same level as any of the classic albums. I would consider Dirty Work over Hackney. Just my opinion of course.

That's way out there.

Date: May 8, 2024 20:24

-----

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 9, 2024 10:12

shadooby

...Plus the b-sides were always great when they weren’t included on the album. I still got mine and I think Through the Lonely Nights still sounds better snaps, crackles, pops and all than the version released on the rarities cd.

(Yes, I do realize it was an outtake from GHS).

Yep, just like the difference I mentioned earlier between the title track single A side and the album cut .

I remember being very pleased when TTLN popped up on rarities ...but subsequently disappointed that it didn't sound as good as on the single.

There is often the difference of a single sounding more upfront and lively...there are reasons for that...but with the these tracks there's a much rounder EQ and more presence on the single cuts, which is a big part of what's wrong with the IORR album sound, from the EMI vinyl pressings right through all the various digital reworkings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-09 10:49 by Spud.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 9, 2024 13:39

Love the album. Love their attitude and Mick’s vocals. It probably sounded contrived in -74, compared to Exile and everything before.

Date: May 9, 2024 15:18

Redhotcarpet
Love the album. Love their attitude and Mick’s vocals. It probably sounded contrived in -74, compared to Exile and everything before.

There's maybe truth in that... but my issue is that the sound and production just don't serve the music and musicianship as well as they should have.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 9, 2024 16:01

I also truly love the album.

Side A is perfection. Absolute killer. Side B something is not right. Luxury is a weak opener. Dance little sister should have been no. 1. I would have swapped one between Luxury and Curlies with Lonely Nights. Who knows.

In any case a great album, that I still enjoy a lot.

With regard to how it sounds, I bought my first proper stereo system in 1995. Before that, I couldn't tell the difference. Nowadays I really don't care!!

C

Date: May 9, 2024 17:23

My problem is that I've been a HiFi nut since being a kid...and worked in the industry for many years.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 9, 2024 18:19

Spud
My problem is that I've been a HiFi nut since being a kid...and worked in the industry for many years.

Was on the verge of falling in the HiFi madness trap, but thank god I was able to walk away before it was too late! I LOVE HiFi. A friend of mine was a HiFi dealer. Still remember the experience of Tattoo You in the listening room of his shop!!! But its a hobby that can be more addictive than drugs and cost more than ... well, you got the point!

C

Date: May 10, 2024 09:43

The problem with many HiFi enthusiasts is that they're more into the kit than the music .

They buy and play albums they think make their system sound good , rather than music that they actually like !

Many also haven't a clue what makes a good system.

It's got nothing to do with "bass" , "treble" , "stereo image " or any of that nonsense .

A good system simply allows you to access and enjoy the music more.

If the music sounds more enjoyable and communicates with you better...then the system is better . End of .

[Good systems also bring the best out of the less good recordings in or collections, allowing us to enjoy the music without emphasising the imperfections ]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: May 10, 2024 13:50

DiamondDog7
frankotero

I agree.

I'm glad the Stones are still excited to produce a new album, but it's not on a same level as the classic albums. Totally not. But hey, that's fine by me. I prefer to listen to the oldies instead of Hackney Diamonds.

You know it ? Exactly the same things were said when IORR came out, which by the way had worse reviews than HD.

Date: May 12, 2024 09:41

DiamondDog7
frankotero

I agree.

Of course HD is not on the same level as BB-LIB-SF-EOMS-GHS in terms of creativity, songwriting and execution.

They haven't been them since then.

Songwriting wise, impossible to know unless something really sticks out. SSOH may be the closest thing to back then that works.

Performance wise, obvious.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: May 12, 2024 18:11

There are some excellent songs on HD, Heaven,Whole Wide World, Depending on You, Get Close.The others are lesser songs but not bad.The whole album is fantastic for 80 years old men

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-12 22:42 by Taylor1.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: May 12, 2024 18:31

24FPS
TravelinMan
24FPS
I certainly wouldn't put the IORR album up against Hackney Diamonds, which I consider to be excellent, and IORR to be mediocre as a Stones album.

Oooof

We're on opposite ends of taste, my friend.

Oh, there's a lot of things I can't understand people preferring. Never could listen to the Grateful Dead. I think Hackney has a great spirit. And the songwriting is top level.

Time Waits for No One is in my opinion one of the best Stones songs in terms of writing. Much deeper than anything on the new album, which I listened to once and got all I needed from it. I keep coming back to IORR. The Muddy Waters cover is good however

Date: May 13, 2024 06:59

DiamondDog7
frankotero

I agree.

That's interesting.

Whence HD came out I was still listening to GHS, U and ER on a regular basis.

The Big Four require a little effort. I'm not locked in on those.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1365
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home