Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Emotional Rescue is their stand out 45 of the last 43 years
Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: August 13, 2015 01:37

There. I've said it. Angie, It's Only Rock'n'Roll and Miss You are all great, but ER tops them all for me. It's the best single they've done since Tumbling Dice

Re: Emotional Rescue is their stand out 45 of the last 43 years
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 01:39

herecomesrichard
There. I've said it. Angie, It's Only Rock'n'Roll and Miss You are all great, but ER tops them all for me. It's the best single they've done since Tumbling Dice

This is ridiculous. Angie is not great.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 13, 2015 01:42

Move that 43 years back a few and it is a whole different story though!

But using your 43 year requirement it would have to be Waiting On a Friend for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-13 01:43 by Naturalust.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:00

herecomesrichard

Glad you didn't pick Sex Drive ...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:20

If you say so, here comes....

Posted by: 2014Slayer ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:28

It is a good album, but I am really loving Get Your Y-Yas Out, it was one of my early favs, and it is once again, I love that live concert energy.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:31

Undercover Of The Night.

Emotional Rescue was only possible because of Miss You, so we've thrown originality out the window with ER, not that it isn't a great song.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:33

To me, it is one of their weakest singles.

I've just perused the singles section of the Stones' discography, and would nominate no more than six, and possibly fewer, singles as weaker efforts from the period since the release of 'Tumbling Dice'.

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-13 02:36 by Olly.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:49

I would say that the only single that has really stood out as something really special post-'Start Me Up', is 'Undercover Of The Night'. It was a brave move to be so direct political in the lyrics and message, PLUS that it was really interesting musically. The last time they were so brave. If they had released 'Continental Drift' as a single as well, it would have been just as flooring.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: August 13, 2015 02:54

ER I think it's a great song, a dance song marked Stones. The Rolling Stones have taught us that any kind of music can give birth to a great song.
ER is also the album in my opinion a great album!

Date: August 13, 2015 02:55

If one were in the mood to be facetious, one could reference the numerous re-issues the band have released.

Olly.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 07:36

I love Ronnie’s playful bass lines and those languid sax fills that perfectly complement Mick’s disco voice. Yeah, soft spot for this one as Emotional Rescue was my first Stones album and the title track was like a cherry on a woman’s tongue for me. However, it absolutely cannot be the best Stones single in the last 40 years for the simple reason that the song’s best moment doesn’t come until the fourth verse when Mick ditches the falsetto for that sexy cool-kat voice – I remember always waiting impatiently for that part. So I can’t rate too highly a song I have to wait on when Start Me Up provides instant gratification.

On a side note, I had no idea that Mick had likened the woman in need of an emotional rescue to a ‘Pekinese’ until I checked the lyrics this morning. I’m still not sure how I feel about that (I always thought that line ended on a garbled word followed by ‘please’) but even if I come to see this as a stroke of genius I can’t see myself agreeing with the OP.

Posted by: Tops ()
Date: August 13, 2015 09:58

The album is really good. And their "desert disco rock" from 79 (78)-81 (or 83)" sounds very fresh and modern today. I actually think these albums - in later years - have been more influential to new bands than Exile, Beggars, Sticky or LIB.

Posted by: herecomesrichard ()
Date: August 13, 2015 16:04

When Emotional Rescue was slated for issue in 1980, the New Musical Express erroneously referred to it as Emotional Release. Now what an album that would have been!

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 13, 2015 17:52

When I first heard that cymbal crash and thumping bass on a beach in 1980, I was blown away! Miss You, ER, Start Me Up, and Undercover all made a statement from the first note.

None of the lead singles since then have touched that run, imho.

T@3

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 13, 2015 18:03

"Emotional Rescue is their stand out 45 of the last 43 years"

That's 100% correct... if you spent the whole year of 1981 in a comatose state (car accident, massive brain damage induced by the election of Reagan late'80 etc etc).

I mean your claim would be valuable if they hadn't released SMU in 1981, which is imo their last great single.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-13 18:04 by dcba.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 13, 2015 18:27

Imo, their last great single was Doom And Gloom.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 13, 2015 19:11

Undercover was their last blast for me, but it doesn't hokd up like ER does for me.
It's original, sounds fresh to this day. It's all subjective, but I do think it was their last truly unique song.
And Jagger's voice drop from falsetto is sexy as hell..

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: August 13, 2015 19:29

you know... you might be right about that

Date: August 13, 2015 20:08

What disqualifies ER (the song) a bit in my eyes is it's verging on parody. "Miss You" was a glorious venture into the disco genre but ER was OTT. The tasty sax licks at the end redeem it somewhat but this is still a "wtf" song (imo).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-13 21:17 by dcba.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: August 13, 2015 20:26

I think "Start Me Up", "Beast of Burden" and "Waiting on a Friend" are better, but ER gains some points for freshness because it had been ignored in concert for so many years.

Posted by: alexisjagger ()
Date: August 13, 2015 21:07

i Think IORR is overrated

Date: August 13, 2015 21:19

dcba
What disqualifies ER (the song) a bit in my eyes is it's verging on parody...

Undercover of the Night, Emotional Rescue, these are all Mick's calculations about the market. And they're not the best records we've made. See, Mick listens to too much bad shit.
- Keith Richards, 1997

Time Is On Our Side (no date) Emotional Rescue. [Online] [Accessed on 13th August 2015] [www.timeisonourside.com]

Both dcba and Richards are being too kind with regards to this meretricious offering.

Olly.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 14, 2015 01:29

alexisjagger
i Think IORR is overrated

For a moment I thought you meant the song ...

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: August 14, 2015 05:49

God no

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 06:34

TeaAtThree
When I first heard that cymbal crash and thumping bass on a beach in 1980, I was blown away! Miss You, ER, Start Me Up, and Undercover all made a statement from the first note.

None of the lead singles since then have touched that run, imho.

T@3

not even mixed emotions?

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2015 10:55

ER their best "recent" 45? Nahhhhhh......Love is Strong is SO much better.

ER is pseudo-disco nonsense. Pleasant, but imminently forgettable.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:40

Olly
dcba
What disqualifies ER (the song) a bit in my eyes is it's verging on parody...

Undercover of the Night, Emotional Rescue, these are all Mick's calculations about the market. And they're not the best records we've made. See, Mick listens to too much bad shit.
- Keith Richards, 1997

Time Is On Our Side (no date) Emotional Rescue. [Online] [Accessed on 13th August 2015] [www.timeisonourside.com]

Both dcba and Richards are being too kind with regards to this meretricious offering.

and what the bloody hell did Keith write as 'singles' in the meantime? Since 1980 what blockbuster rolling stones hits have been penned by the riffmeister?

That should get some blood boiling this early morning (my time!)...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 14, 2015 16:47

One of my least favorite Stones songs of all time. Actually made me angry that they played it on the "50" tour. So many great songs that could've been played in that slot, even in the dance-y genre. That being said, I like a lot of the rest of that album but I always hit skip when that comes up. Campy garbage. Just my opinion. Everyone entitled to their own.

Date: August 15, 2015 10:55

treaclefingers

what the bloody hell did Keith write as 'singles' in the meantime? Since 1980 what blockbuster rolling stones hits have been penned by the riffmeister?

That should get some blood boiling this early morning (my time!)...

Yup! Keef basically calls Mick a musical whore but it's that trait (aka "sniffing the trends" ) that kept the band at the top for all these years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-15 16:52 by dcba.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1362
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home