Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Goats Head Soup 50 years today !!
Date: September 1, 2023 20:44

I wish they had put the original version of Waiting on a Friend on the remaster.

What a great album. Even the outtakes they gave us are excellent tracks.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 1, 2023 21:20

A double album Goats Head Soup could have included Dancing in the Light, Separately, Waiting on a Friend, Tops, You Should Have Seen Her Ass, Hillside Blues,Travelin Man and Criss Cross

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 2, 2023 04:45

TravelinMan
Big Al
lem motlow
Big Al
I’ve said it before in previous, related threads: Goats Head Soup was the Stones’ first, true, album of the 1970’s. Both Sticky Fingers and - though be it, to a lesser extent - Exile on Main Street, are still rooted in the late-60’s. For better or worse, Goats Head Soup was fresh and modern for it’s time. I’m my opinion, it’s weaker than the two LP’s that preceded it, yet it’s their first truly contemporary 70’s release. Angie isn’t the ‘Brian-era’ in any way. Here’s Mick vying for credibility and relevance amongst your Elton’s and Marc Bolan’s or the 1970’s music sphere.

Great insight- but totally wrong.
Sticky and Exile were VERY 1970s, the hope, peace and love, the acid dream was over.
This was the 1970s-music based in reality,ups and downs,friends passing away,loneliness of being away from home,heroin and cocaine and the blues.there was no 60s shit in that music.
Mick “ vying for credibility” is laughable.The Stones existed in the stratosphere in 73. A place only the Beatles had been and Zep were just getting a glimpse of.
Guys like Elton and T. Rex were just starting their careers, they were children compared to the Stones.
It’s funny how wrong you got it- Angie is Absolutely “Brian era” - a beautiful ballad in the realm of As tears go by ,Blue Turns to Grey or Lady Jane.

Ha! Well, we're all entitled to our differing opinions, I suppose. I still stand by my points. Yours are valid, too, of course. thumbs up

Yeah, I'm not sure opinions be "wrong" haha

For me, Sticky Fingers is very polished and concise, Exile is rockin' lofi (almost a throwback to 50's music) and sprawling, while Goats is dim and druggy—a cloudy comedown. The song that perfectly encapsulates this is "Coming Down Again".

Of course opinions can be wrong.

That aside, lem motlow missed the entire point. And then gets angry! Beyond silly. And, ha ha, pointless.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 2, 2023 05:52

Irix
> Goats Head Soup 50 years today <

And in 50 years it'll be '100 Years Ago' smiling smiley

Happy Anniversary!

so see ya august 31, 2073

i'll be 82 i wonder how many us will still be here for itwinking smiley

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 2, 2023 06:35

It has the misfortune of following the "big four" and it's not quite on that level but I think it's still a great record. I seem to like it better with each passing year. The mood seems to capture the band at the time coming down from a run of rock n roll excellence that has never been topped before or since. Winter is a sublime song and I'd love to hear Keith try Coming Down Again live. Great record,

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 2, 2023 08:43

Big Al
lem motlow
Big Al
I’ve said it before in previous, related threads: Goats Head Soup was the Stones’ first, true, album of the 1970’s. Both Sticky Fingers and - though be it, to a lesser extent - Exile on Main Street, are still rooted in the late-60’s. For better or worse, Goats Head Soup was fresh and modern for it’s time. I’m my opinion, it’s weaker than the two LP’s that preceded it, yet it’s their first truly contemporary 70’s release. Angie isn’t the ‘Brian-era’ in any way. Here’s Mick vying for credibility and relevance amongst your Elton’s and Marc Bolan’s or the 1970’s music sphere.

Sticky and Exile were VERY 1970s, the hope, peace and love, the acid dream was over.
This was the 1970s-music based in reality,ups and downs,friends passing away,loneliness of being away from home,heroin and cocaine and the blues.there was no 60s shit in that music.
Mick “ vying for credibility” is laughable.The Stones existed in the stratosphere in 73. A place only the Beatles had been and Zep were just getting a glimpse of.
Guys like Elton and T. Rex were just starting their careers, they were children compared to the Stones.
It’s funny how wrong you got it- Angie is Absolutely “Brian era” - a beautiful ballad in the realm of As tears go by ,Blue Turns to Grey or Lady Jane.

Ha! Well, we're all entitled to our differing opinions, I suppose. I still stand by my points. Yours are valid, too, of course. thumbs up

Always love your posts AL, this stuff looks so severe in print. I just try not to use too many words so it looks a bit intense.of course it’s a storm in a tea cup

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-02 08:45 by lem motlow.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 2, 2023 13:01

lem motlow

Always love your posts AL, this stuff looks so severe in print. I just try not to use too many words so it looks a bit intense.of course it’s a storm in a tea cup

Thank you, lem motlow! Likewise!

In relation to my initial post: were any of the Goats Head Soup tracks written in the 60’s? I suppose my assumption that they weren’t is another reason for feeling that this 1973 release represents their first ‘fully 70’s’ artistic statement.

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: September 3, 2023 01:49

GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
Big Al
lem motlow
Big Al

For me, Sticky Fingers is very polished and concise, Exile is rockin' lofi (almost a throwback to 50's music) and sprawling, while Goats is dim and druggy—a cloudy comedown. The song that perfectly encapsulates this is "Coming Down Again".

That aside, lem motlow missed the entire point. And then gets angry! Beyond silly. And, ha ha, pointless.

In this regard, no an opinion of what an album means to somebody personally cannot be wrong.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 3, 2023 07:05

TravelinMan
GasLightStreet
TravelinMan
Big Al
lem motlow
Big Al

In this regard, no an opinion of what an album means to somebody personally cannot be wrong.

I agree.

However, the opinion can still be wrong. It's subjective, of course, but facts must come into play regarding opinion.

Obviously with a band, a song, an album, a song, a single, it's 100% subjective.

However, I extremely doubt someone will be blasting the whatever remix of You Got Me Rocking or Rock In A Hard Place and you'll think it's good.

goat's head soup guitars.
Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: March 23, 2024 04:58

what guitars were used on ghs k.richards les paul jr? newman jones? i assume m.taylor just used his les paul.fender twins for both? just curious have'nt seen much print on this.

Re: ALBUM TALK: Goats Head Soup
Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: March 27, 2024 05:35

Rolling Stones - 'Coming Down Again' - (96kHs New Mix) - 2023

video: [youtu.be]

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home