Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl"
Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 11, 2016 18:30

GasLightStreet
Scorsese? He needs to stay away from music projects and stick to using songs in movies. SHINE A LIGHT sucks. Obviously VINYL sucked.

Haven´t seen "Vinyl" yet and probably never will, I´m just not interested - but I´ve seen glorious Shine A Light a few hundred times and I tell you it sure does not suck, it is g-r-e-a-t. Simply the greatest live-document of The Rolling Stones so far, that´s what it is.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 11, 2016 18:51

GasLight...I agree with you.

Scorcese makes great dramatic films. But most of his music stuff is not so
hot. He worked on the Dylan project several years ago and that was fine but
Bob calls the shots and it was done Bob's way.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2016 15:02

HBO's new President of Programming Casey Bloys spoke at the Television Critics Association media tour in CA yesterday. "Vinyl" was among the topics discussed.

Vinyl's Cancellation — Decoded

One of Bloys' first decisions on the job was to reverse course on a second season of 1970s music drama Vinyl. The decision, which came after showrunner Terence Winter (Boardwalk Empire) was replaced, wasn't an easy one, Bloys said. "It didn't land I think as we would have liked it, as you [critics] would have liked it or as producers would have liked it," he confessed, noting that he didn't think the retooling was worth the producers' time if it would only move the needle a little bit. "With a little bit of distance, thinking about what we want to do going forward, it really becomes about priorities. … If I have limited resources, there are other things I want to do." Vinyl joined The Brink, Luck and Tell Me You Love Me as other series that HBO ultimately abandoned after announcing a second season renewal. Bloys noted that the "creative process is a messy one" and said he'd "like to not have to do that again." "If anything, going through this with Vinyl, we will more carefully consider [things] going forward," he said. "It's not something that I'd like to do or relish doing going forward."

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 31, 2016 15:53

bye bye johnny
The decision, which came after showrunner Terence Winter (Boardwalk Empire) was replaced, wasn't an easy one, Bloys said.
"It didn't land I think as we would have liked it, as you [critics] would have liked it or as producers would have liked it,"
he confessed, noting that he didn't think the retooling was worth the producers' time if it would only move the needle a little bit.

Thanks bye bye johnny! But can someone decode those sentences for me, please and thank you?
What "didn't land ... as we would have liked it" - the decision to cancel, or the series?
And what "retooling" does he mean, and why wouldn't/couldn't it "move the needle" a lot?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 31, 2016 16:25

"Didn't land" - low ratings, little buzz.

We won't know what "retooling" might have been done by the new showrunners, but clearly Boys didn't think it would improve ratings enough to matter.

Date: July 31, 2016 16:59

Thanks my dear! xox

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 31, 2016 17:05

Lol there's nothing really to be "decoded". Its been said countless times: for the talent involved, the actual content and quality of the show just wasn't that great. If it didn't have those big names attached, no one would question its cancellation. The final nail was Terrence leaving, which yeah, I agree with HBO made it not worth continuing. Mainly cause Scorsese and Jagger weren't actively involved, they were producers. Winter was, so now you have no big names actively working behind the scenes. Its a clear choice.

As has been said, its sad for Jagger because he seems like he's good at this role and should try his hand with other things. Unfortunately this show was just too all over the place and clearly tried for too much and never really found its footing. The cancellation is a lot less surprising than its immediate renewal was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-31 17:51 by RollingFreak.

Date: July 31, 2016 17:18

RollingFreak
The cancellation is a lot less surprising than its immediate cancellation was.

:E Thank you for that! :E

It did want decoding because not all of us understand TV-executive/critic jargon like "it didn't land"
and "move the needle". I do understand now thanks to bye bye johnny's clarification. Thank you!

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: July 31, 2016 18:33

RollingFreak
Lol there's nothing really to be "decoded". Its been said countless times: for the talent involved, the actual content and quality of the show just wasn't that great. If it didn't have those big names attached, no one would question its cancellation. The final nail was Terrence leaving, which yeah, I agree with HBO made it not worth continuing. Mainly cause Scorsese and Jagger weren't actively involved, they were producers. Winter was, so now you have no big names actively working behind the scenes. Its a clear choice.
The cancellation is a lot less surprising than its immediate renewal was.

i believe the clarification was needed for the turns of phrase used by Bloys in the interview quoted, not in the analysis of WHY it was cancelled. And thank you, bye bye johnny, for the explanation

i had hoped that a new season would have revealed a series more about the actual music business, which could have been interesting without the hyped-up gangster / murder shenanigans, but i do understand why it was a surprise that it had been renewed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-31 18:34 by CloudCat.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 6, 2016 09:21

TheGreek
Swiss, the past few weeks i was watching the made for TV multi part docu drama about OJ Simpson and then last week ABC and ESPN had a five part docu with archival footage about OJ Simpson that told the story about him from a kid running with gangs , going to school at USC all the way to the NFL and then his post playing life as a movie star and pitchman for many products which he probably was well known for being the TV pitchman for HERTZ car rental .If you are intrested i highly recomend them very well done .

TheGreek, just finished watching the 5-part OJ Simpson ESPN series. Phenomenal! Actually, among the best documentaries I've seen. Incredibly balanced in every way. And--tons of data but equally compelling multiple narratives. Great, recommendation - thanks!

-swiss

Vinyl = Cancelled by HBO
Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: August 19, 2016 18:58

Not sure if it has been discussed. Scorsese and Jagger' series won't get a second season.....

[deadline.com]

Re: Vinyl = Cancelled by HBO
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 19, 2016 20:40

daniel t

Not sure if it has been discussed.

Has already been: [iorr.org] .

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 19, 2016 20:45

It was the ordure of the day.

Date: August 20, 2016 03:35

Sorry,

I missed that thread.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 20, 2016 04:06

Okay Daniel ... for being honest you can stay at the front of the line ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 20, 2016 04:36

daniel t
Sorry,

I missed that thread.

You know there is a search function, right? smoking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 20, 2016 05:34

damn daniel!

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 20, 2016 20:27

DRATS! I really enjoyed this series! Shame on you, HBO! They'll replace it with garbage, no doubt!angry smiley

Date: August 21, 2016 04:00

Koen
daniel t
Sorry,

I missed that thread.

You know there is a search function, right? smoking smiley

Sorry again and, NO, I didn't bother making a search before posting. My bad... Though I'm sure if you Watch the world news tonight, you'll see worst things have happened... but sorry again.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 21, 2016 05:21

You shouldn't take it so hard Daniel...your Rolling Stones come with a side of teasing and sarcasm around here. cool smiley

Date: August 23, 2016 04:28

latebloomer
You shouldn't take it so hard Daniel...your Rolling Stones come with a side of teasing and sarcasm around here. cool smiley

not true. he's actually made us quite angry.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 23, 2016 04:57

treaclefingers
latebloomer

not true. he's actually made us quite angry.

You musta had some bad coffee.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 23, 2016 05:38

...bad coffee ... NO Pokémon .... hhhhhaaaaaaaaa poor guy...

ROCKMAN

Date: August 24, 2016 01:45

Rockman
...bad coffee ... NO Pokémon .... hhhhhaaaaaaaaa poor guy...

Coffee is always good, if you make it at home with a good espresso machine and grind the beans fresh! If you could grind the Pokémon...be even better!

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 4, 2016 08:19

Westworld is HBO's new series that kind of sucks. Vinyl sucked a lot less.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 4, 2016 12:31

Socrates1
Westworld is HBO's new series that kind of sucks. Vinyl sucked a lot less.

HBO sure does crank out new stuff. Westworld has good reviews I have yet to watch episode 1. Check out High Maintenance.....

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 4, 2016 17:15

HMS
GasLightStreet
Scorsese? He needs to stay away from music projects and stick to using songs in movies. SHINE A LIGHT sucks. Obviously VINYL sucked.

Haven´t seen "Vinyl" yet and probably never will, I´m just not interested - but I´ve seen glorious Shine A Light a few hundred times and I tell you it sure does not suck, it is g-r-e-a-t. Simply the greatest live-document of The Rolling Stones so far, that´s what it is.

Nope.

It's the worst live documentation of the Stones.

Get back on your meds. Clean out your ears. Must've been born with a negative gene.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: October 5, 2016 06:59

I don't care if a bunch of mannequins come to life. Even the Paint It Black instrumental didn't do anything for me. Can people write and direct anymore? Shouldn't it be a bad sign if the directors have to explain the show to you after the show is over? Isn't that what the show is for? Yeah, that's what the directors do after Game of Thrones (groans), so everybody else has to explain themselves now after the show is over.

Did the mannequins write the Westworld pilot? I liked the people from the 70s, even if I felt like I didn't really know them. I'm just tired of the shows with all villains. What's up with that? I don't want to see Anthony Hopkins torturing human robots, and especially not on a Sunday night. And not in a series.

Btw, High Maitenance is great. I'm paying for that and Bill Maher's news at this point. A whole bunch of other stuff on HBO sucks. Get Mick Jagger's team back. The robot show is lame.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-10-05 07:58 by Socrates1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home