Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 18
Re: Jagger/Scorsese HBO series "Vinyl"
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 6, 2016 20:50

I feel the same way - the music-related stuff is fine, but the gangster stuff is not for me.
When James Jagger is snarling he gets quite an impressive Klingon-style ridged sinus area going
I watched episode 3 twice just to see it again :E

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 6, 2016 21:03

with sssoul
I feel the same way - the music-related stuff is fine, but the gangster stuff is not for me.
When James Jagger is snarling he gets quite an impressive Klingon-style ridged sinus area going

As we were watching together last week, my eldest daughter declared James to be MUCH more attractive then his father. I tried to counter that impression with offers to show her pics from Mick's youth, but she wouldn't hear of it. I think he's handsome too, but not as beautiful as his father once was. Then again, neither am I. smiling smiley

Posted by: alieb ()
Date: March 6, 2016 23:02

latebloomer
with sssoul

As we were watching together last week, my eldest daughter declared James to be MUCH more attractive then his father. I tried to counter that impression with offers to show her pics from Mick's youth, but she wouldn't hear of it. I think he's handsome too, but not as beautiful as his father once was. Then again, neither am I. smiling smiley

Mick was beautiful in an unconventional way, whereas I think James is a good mix of both of his parents and maybe more conventionally attractive. Also, it's probably hard to forget what Mick looks like now and imagine what he was like back then if you didn't live through the period/are not a massive Stones fan.

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: March 6, 2016 23:41

sarahunwin
Enjoying the show, but I wish I could find Bobby Cannavale charismatic. He just doesn't do it for me, I find I cannot care about what happens to him!

James Jagger is great and to me the club scenes and shots of NY are much better than watching Bobby f**k himself up which gets old after a while and needs better editing I will continue to watch though

I like Bobby a lot.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 7, 2016 03:30

alieb
latebloomer
with sssoul

Mick was beautiful in an unconventional way, whereas I think James is a good mix of both of his parents and maybe more conventionally attractive. Also, it's probably hard to forget what Mick looks like now and imagine what he was like back then if you didn't live through the period/are not a massive Stones fan.

Having seen him at the Project Zero thing in December, I have to say I thought James is very attractive, and better-looking in real life than on TV. But not nearly as hot/charismatic as his father at the same age (or pretty much any age).

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: March 7, 2016 09:10

Mick quoted in passing in Olivia Wilde ELLE story >>> [www.elle.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 7, 2016 18:59

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 7, 2016 19:17

Straycat13
sarahunwin
Enjoying the show, but I wish I could find Bobby Cannavale charismatic. He just doesn't do it for me, I find I cannot care about what happens to him!

James Jagger is great and to me the club scenes and shots of NY are much better than watching Bobby f**k himself up which gets old after a while and needs better editing I will continue to watch though

I like Bobby a lot.

Yes, he did an awesome job with the Richie Finestra character thumbs up

Date: March 7, 2016 22:50

Cristiano Radtke

[www.cambio16.com]

I understand approximately half of the words in that link.... haha

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 7, 2016 23:08

That's a great shot of Mick. I don't know if I care much what it says :E

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 8, 2016 01:03

Hannibal is here.

Issue 04 of #Vinyl Cuts is out now >>

[www.vinylcuts.nyc]

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: March 8, 2016 02:46

Sunday's episode was very strong, lots of action. I like Richie when he's off the rails...haha

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 8, 2016 04:18

I agree, great episode. Shows the frantic day-to-day chaos of working at a record label. I loved the scene when the tapes are burned and sets off the sprinklers. Great shots too, a great scene through the wet office window of Janis singing Cry to Me. Great! Also Hanibal's stuff was a gas too. This show's picking up steam.

Date: March 8, 2016 05:11

All the music selections were sick, so much great stuff going on in the 70's. Season 2 is supposedly into the 80's good luck with that soundtrack...lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-08 05:12 by Maindefender.

Posted by: GlimmerGirl24 ()
Date: March 8, 2016 07:00

sarahunwin

I keep telling Richie to od so the series can focus on the more interesting storylines than his manic management style, abusive, disasterous marriage and tantrums. He's not cooperating. About the only scene I've liked with him was the fire sprinklers. As you can tell, Richie isn't growing on me.

I haven't seen enough of Kip - James' character to know whether I like him. About all I know is he has great thighs, is often impatient and likes to snarl. James is excelling at expressing those characteristics.

I don't remember nasty bits being slang that was common in the early 70's - but maybe it was used in the UK. The band's name seems a dozen years early and out of place to me in 1973 NYC. Insignificant, but every time I hear the name - it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the 1973 scene.

The brief musical pieces in between scenes I find annoying and fast forward worthy if they lasted a few more seconds.

The series has too many storylines going with characters we don't know - which is making it difficult for me to get caught up in any of the sub plots. But I'm trying.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 8, 2016 14:01

GlimmerGirl24
sarahunwin

I keep telling Richie to od so the series can focus on the more interesting storylines than his manic management style, abusive, disasterous marriage and tantrums. He's not cooperating. About the only scene I've liked with him was the fire sprinklers. As you can tell, Richie isn't growing on me.

I haven't seen enough of Kip - James' character to know whether I like him. About all I know is he has great thighs, is often impatient and likes to snarl. James is excelling at expressing those characteristics.

I don't remember nasty bits being slang that was common in the early 70's - but maybe it was used in the UK. The band's name seems a dozen years early and out of place to me in 1973 NYC. Insignificant, but every time I hear the name - it just doesn't fit in with the rest of the 1973 scene.

The brief musical pieces in between scenes I find annoying and fast forward worthy if they lasted a few more seconds.

The series has too many storylines going with characters we don't know - which is making it difficult for me to get caught up in any of the sub plots. But I'm trying.

I thought he was quite good in the shower scene a few episodes ago. grinning smiley

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 8, 2016 21:25

Vol 1.2 and Vol 1.3 Soundtracks are available :
- [www.amazon.co.uk]
- [www.amazon.co.uk]

Just a few songs not a full "album" like the first one.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 8, 2016 21:30

There's great site "Tunefind" that will list all songs played in a given episode. thumbs up Here's episode 4:

[www.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-08 21:31 by Maindefender.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: March 9, 2016 04:55

Bye bye Johnny, Thanks for posting those pics from vinylcuts.nyc. They look cool and somehow have the vibe of the series.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 15, 2016 13:09

ACR’s fiercest females discuss living through 1970s New York in #Vinyl Cuts: Issue 05 >> [vinylcuts.nyc]

[twitter.com]

Date: March 15, 2016 13:20

preview for next episode looks good. Been really pleased with the last couple of episodes, big improvement from the first few.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 15, 2016 19:02

'Vinyl' Star Ato Essandoh talks about working with Mick Jagger and Lester's Dramatic Arc

(ATTENTION: I only posted some parts of the interview because there's some spoilers on episode 5)

This must be a dream show to work on, musically.
Yeah! You know, one of the first concerts I went to as an adult who could go to concerts without his parents’ permission, like at 16 17, was The Stones. I’ve loved The Stones all my life. Now suddenly, Mick Jagger is my boss. So it’s really, really strange for me to be in this position. I still can’t quite grasp that I’m actually on this show.

I can’t even imagine what it’s like.
Mick Jagger just walks on set, and it’s like ‘It’s Mick Jagger!’ you know? [laughs] I mean I saw them play, right before I got this job, I just happened to go to a concert when I was working in Toronto. We saw The Stones play. I’ve seen The Stones play over the years, and I was thinking ‘That that’s my boss now.’ It’s really strange.

What’s it like to have Mick Jagger as your boss?
When we were shooting the pilot— I guess last year, almost a year and a half ago— I always happened to miss Mick Jagger when he would come on set, and then, of course, he’d go on tour somewhere. When I finally met him, it was during a reading when we were shooting the actual series, and I saw his name tag as we were all walking in at the table where we were all going to collect and read. And it was good that I saw the name tag so I could I could sort of brace myself. I was like, “Oh my god, Mick Jagger is going to be in this room.” And I find he’s going to be sitting 10, 20 feet away from me, watching me read this character. Finally, he comes in. You know, we’re all sitting around and Terry (Terence Winter) makes an announcement that Mick’s coming in, and he comes in, and he’s just a guy. He’s a nice guy, you know. He’s just a legendary rock star. That’s all he is.
He kind of sits down, and I’m reading alongside, and he’s right there. [laughs] It’s crazy, but I was able to guard myself so I didn’t make a fool out of myself. There’s certain people that there is a danger of me making an @#$%& out of myself, and Mick Jagger’s one. The aforementioned Prince is another one. If Prince walked into the room right now, I would freak out. I’m pretty cool with other people. Like Marty (Martin Scorsese) is another hero of mine, but I didn’t freak out too much around Marty, but Mick Jagger — that’s that’s sort of legendary. But anyway, he introduced himself, and I played it cool. I think I made it through the five-minute conversation we had without throwing up on myself, and I’m so proud. I’m proud of that moment.

[decider.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 16, 2016 13:23

Nice interview !

Watched the latest episode...interesting stuff but honestly some parts a bit "painful" to watch, lots of tension.

About the plot, was his dad carrying a mic or was his office tapped? Almost sounds like he knew they were listening in, a bit confused..

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 16, 2016 14:46

Gotdablouse, you nailed it on the head about the tension. It makes me less excited about the music and how it's been made. This reminds me of a comment a close friend of mine made about The Stones. It was in reference to the Tony Sanchez book, he said if I really knew The Stones I would probably hate them. Since then I was more careful with my fandom. Don't like to focus on anything other than how I enjoy the music, concerts and collecting. Still, I enjoy seeing the 1970s folklore/scenery in the show. But yeah, the reality and nastiness of business is a real drag at times.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 16, 2016 14:59

sarahunwin
Enjoying the show, but I wish I could find Bobby Cannavale charismatic. He

The Nasty Bits belong in late 76 to 78 .
They are the one stand out anachronism of the series. Which as a piece of entertaining fiction is very watchable.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 16, 2016 21:36

Yes - nice interview. Thanks for posting. I'm starting to really enjoy Vinyl. I've seen all 5 episodes now (some more than once) and it's really starting to pick up steam I think. As I put it on Facebook - you need to look at it as a character play that happens to involve the music industry, and not a story on the music industry, that happens to have characters. If that makes sense. On the 1st episode, I was kind of like, "this is so Bogus.' And if you get too wrapped up in 'that doesn't look/sound like Alice, Andy, whoever' I think you're missing the point a bit.
Anyways - I'm now liking it quite a bit. Fair amount of drama/tension. It's not perfect, but it's fun.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 03:00

Yeah, this is a fun series. I think it's the best thing HBO has done in a while. I could just never stand Game of Thrones. I don't know why everyone likes that one so much.

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: March 21, 2016 03:59

So what just happened, that English guy was a ghost or something?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 21, 2016 15:41

You mean the German guy Richie was with in episode 6? Yeah - last night's show was pretty dark and depressing. And confusing. Was that guy a figment of Richie's imagination? Did they all get in accident at the end - or not? And the guy that played Bowie? Didn't look, sound, or act like him IMO. Still - nice to see the 'In Loving Memory of David Bowie' at the end - as painful as that is to see. Overall - kind of a downer of an episode. Not that the other ones have been especially cheerful - but I hope it picks up again next week.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 21, 2016 16:21

My take is that Ernst is a flashback creation of Finestra's drug hazed mind. I suspect he was his running partner and that accident really happened years before which is what sobered Richie up. Over the course of his bender he conjured Ernst up in his mind. Note that Ernet never becomes intixicated, no other characters see or interact with him, and all he wants to do is get a Nathan's hot dog. The final scene of Richie sitting in the car by the cyclone makes it pretty clear. Devon leaves when Richie imagines Ernst because she then realizes how far down the rabbit hole her husband has gone.

Brilliant episode.....but I agree, also very dark.

And I suspect his father taped the phone conversation, although the newly remodeled office could have been bugged.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-21 21:44 by Woz.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1895
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home